Posted on Saturday, January 11th, 2014 at 11:01 AM

By BellaNaija.com

The Afrinolly Short Film Competition is back! Film director, Ronke Ogunmakin  has sent in her short documentary “Awele’s Diary” as an entry this year. If you recall, her film, The Enigmatic Truth was entered last year {Click here if you missed it} The Enigmatic Truth focused on domestic violence and Ronke is tackling another health/social issue this time with Awele’s Diary.

Read the synopsis here:

Awele’s Diary is a real-life personal outlook on the life of Awele Nwosu-Akeh who is a young woman living with Sickle Cell Disease. It was produced by Ceeander Entertainment which is a partnership between budding film Director, Ronke Ogunmakin and Producer, Cindy Ihua.
Sickle Cell is a real issue and the aim of this documentary is to create awareness about the disease by giving the documentary a personal touch and bring people into the world of a sickle cell patient who still lives a fulfilled life regardless. Understanding their pain and how their family has to cope would shed light on a serious issue that affects a lot of Nigerians and Africans as a whole.

We fell in love with Awele when we watched the video.

Check it out!

Click  here  to vote for this film in the competition.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 19 Comments on “Afrinolly 2014: Watch the Simple Yet Stirring Short Film on a Sickle Cell Warrior in “Awele’s Diary” by Ronke Ogunmakin”

Comments
    • asgrl January 11, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I just started watching the film, but if i could give one quick feedback, I don’t know if its due to audio quality or just how Awele speaks, but with the exception of the intro, everything is coming across extremely mumbled. I would recommend adding subtitles. I don’t think that would take away from the subject matter. I’ll be back to give my overall thoughts

• cindy January 11, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Thank you very much for featuring this on the site! Please vote for ‘AWELE’S DIARY’ to win the competition as it has been shortlisted as one of 10 finalists. Follow this link afrinollyshortfilmcompetition.com/vote.php and log in via Facebook and/or Google mail, click on “Documentary” and go through the list of competition entries to find AWELE’S DIARY. Please vote! Your help would be appreciated!

• da1stlady January 13, 2014 at 4:18 AM

Lovely documentary. Awele was my neighbour in abuja for a short while. Very lovely and cheerful young lady and i’m glad that she took the time to be part of the movement to create awareness. Great job on the documentary.

• www.anemistyle.com January 11, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Insightful, but I wish they did a bit more with the video, a few cutaways, maybe a life in her day and how it affect her daily. She looks like she is acting though.

• Laide January 11, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Not everyone that has sickle cell have daily crisis, my
        boyfriend lives a very normal life, so you would never
        know!

• Unknown January 11, 2014 at 2:54 PM

This is soo touching…

• Cat on a hot tin roof January 11, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Agree with the posters above re. sound quality. I pray that God will keep and strengthen her. Did she say she was going back to Nigeria? Would she still be able to get those blood exchanges? I also sincerely hope that she becomes a beneficiary of Niprisan. I understand NIPRD restarted production in August 2013 even though they are yet to scale up…

• The Witty PR Girl January 11, 2014 at 4:16 PM

The subject matter of this documentary is very important (Stats show that 2 in 5 people know someone living with sickle cell or know someone who died from sickle cell disease) and I’m glad the creative team behind this video decided to shadow a sickle cell patient as opposed to making Awele a fictional character. Awele you are one brave woman! Ronke to make your work stand out, I’d recommend making your video footage a ‘ Call-to-Action’ piece where viewers leave your page better informed on what a sickle cell crisis attack is and how staying hydrated can reduce the frequency of yearly attacks in SS patients and AS carriers. I definitely agree with asgrl, I could hardly understand what your subject said so subtitles are imperative. To rack up votes for your documentary, include the direct link to the voting polls. KISS- Keep it simple, stupid!

• Sunshine January 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Kudos to the makers of the documentary for choosing such an
      important topic to film. I unfortunately struggled with the
      beautiful lady’s narration, especially the part where she spoke
      with a british accent, which came across as incoherent; as against
      when she was conversing with her brother or mimicking the Nigerian
      Doctors which was actually clearer. I would suggest you use
      subtitles so we can get more from her story. Thanks.

• GreenDiamond January 11, 2014 at 11:46 PM

This awareness is important.. it is her diary i know she decided to share it but all this extra details aren’t that important guys are complaining about and she left subtitles where needed. Bless her heart this story is close to home and i hope God sees her through it all and change her blood type! my daddy can do ALL THINGS! Amen!

• itsjustme January 11, 2014 at 11:47 PM

this is so touching! sometimes u wish for new designer shoes, a mansion in surrey, the best cars and all other materialistic stuff but once ur health is deteriorating u forget about those things and wish for better health. i must be more thankful to God. I used to work wiv someone suffering from sickle cell and every time this guy will frown …it actually annoyed me however i was unaware of his illness but i hope u do further footage on sickle cell for more awareness :)

• Msunderstood January 12, 2014 at 1:33 AM

Pele, I found myself shedding tears.

• TY January 12, 2014 at 5:22 AM

YES YES YES thank you Bella Naija for this insightful video. A lot of people dont know too much about the sickle Cell disease. I am Nigerian and I remember when I was younger, i was branded a lot of names until my Parents found out I had Sickle Cell Anemia around age 2 1/2. I know we are all subject to Judge others but like @itsjustme mentioned above, you dont know the pain someone is going through when you assume they just frown their face. Sickle Cell pain is indescribable and it something you cant even wish on your enemy as Awele mentioned. Fortunately, for me I have been blessed with the help of medication (Hydoxyorea and folic acid in the US) and lots of prayers from families and friends. Please learn something about Sickle Cell. I pray to God that I am able to fulfill my dream of providing Hydroxyrea to kids with Sickle Cell in Nigeria. Its an expensive medicine but it has been extremely helpful in terms of the interval between my crisis. God bless you Awele an all my surviving Sickle Cell Warriors out there.

• Onyeka January 12, 2014 at 6:49 AM

I am so glad that the awareness for Sickle Cell is finally being raised. I’ve volunteered at the Sickle Cell Foundation of Nigeria for 2 summers now and I think it’s imperative that we familiarize ourselves with this disease. The idea that most Nigerian children living with this don’t have a long life expectancy rate due to 1) no knowledge that they have it 2) cultural claims of them being ogbanjes or 3) lack of necessary equipments to help manage the disease is a painful reality. You can help by sending donations to the the foundation which is an NGO run by individuals who are trying to make a difference.

• ozyy January 12, 2014 at 10:52 PM

AWELE you are strong and I know GOD is your strength…I didnt know it was you until i looked at the pix..GOD bless ur hustle. Amen.

• iba January 12, 2014 at 11:03 PM

quite sad anytime i hear of this disease. I had a class mate that were lost along the way due to this disease. a cousin died and a close family friend still lives with it. although the family friend has lived fairly well in our estimation, she has grown more and more reclusive as she aged. we always pray for her and i believe she will do us proud.
      by the way how can we finally put a stop to this? i had educated EDUCATED TO UNIVERSITY AND MASTERS who decided to still go ahead with marriage although they were AS AS. uhmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn its well but my people these are issues we should talk about, think of, seek proper couselling before choosing to tie the knot. thats one major way we can stop the increase of sickle cell anaemia in our country

• iba January 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM

sorry for the plenty typos…

• kaydee January 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM

It’s wonderful to know that sickle cell is coming to the front burner of our minds. Awele was in my platoon in camp and we served in the same corporation. Believe me,she’s not acting all that….she’s just so goofy,jovial and incredibly adorable! I love you Awele and you’re in my prayers.God bless you and keep you!

• I'll be honest February 2, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I have lost a great somebody to this blood disease. I am however happy that people are getting educated on it. I know you are a fighter, keep the fight on, darling!