News

Olusegun Obasanjo Withdraws from PDP, Airs Issues in One-Page Letter

Olusegun Obasanjo - Africa Progress Panel - World Economic Forum

Ex President Olusegun Obasanjo is withdrawing himself from all activities of PDP, effective immediately.

In a one-page letter, the chairman of ruling political party – Peoples Democratic Party, he says he ceases to be a member of the party withdrawing from activities in the local, state and federal levels.

Read it below;

“While I believe that a good and truly national political party must be a microcosm of the nation in its membership, made up of all sorts of characters from near-saints to near-satan, I also believe that on no account should a known habitual criminal that is wanted abroad to face criminal charges levelled against him be extolled as a political leader in a respectable and wholesome nation-building political party.

…has been so extolled in PDP in South-West geo-political zone which I personally find unsavoury. Politics played by any national political party must have morality, decency, discipline, principles and leadership examples as cardinal practices of the party. I have attached here recent documents that clearly indicate that your extolled PDP Zonal Leader in the South-West zone of Nigeria and an indigene of Ogun State is, to say the least, not a credit to the party as a member, let alone being a zonal leader.

Since I stick in my practice of party politics to the hallowed and cherished principles enunciated above, I take this opportunity to let you know that while I continue to remain a card-carrying member of PDP, I cannot and I will not subscribe to a wanted habitual criminal being installed as my zonal leader in the party; a criminal for whom extradition has been requested by the US government. In the meantime, I will consider withdrawing my activity with PDP at local, state, zonal and national levels until the anomalous and shameful situation is corrected.”

1. NNENNE

January 11, 2014 at 5:31 pm

In 2015, hope people will vote for individuals, who they are and what they can do, not just the political party they belong to.

2. TopleagueP

January 11, 2014 at 5:56 pm

A pot calling a kettle black. All the same baba enjoy your
    leave.

• supremacydone

January 11, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Birds of a feather,next!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Dr. N

January 11, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Ghen, ghen! I didn’t see this coming.

4. Bro Kareem Azeez

January 11, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Cutting off the head is not the cure against the lice of
    the head. PDP is like Oyigbo market which does not feel the absence
    of a single person.

5. pynk

January 12, 2014 at 10:24 am

APC the alleged changers are too busy taking on PDP members abeg what gives.

6. Okechukwu Ofili

January 12, 2014 at 11:08 am

APC says PDP is shit. But they are acquiring that PDP shit at an alarming rate, can’t wait to hear that OBJ has joined APC…lol. Imagine adding shit to perfume and calling it perfume?

7. uc o

January 12, 2014 at 12:06 pm

baba on morality these days. what makes u so afraid. anyway, give us our money back and we will believe u. the money u packed for 8 years

8. Chux

January 12, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Who cares, EGJ carry go!!!!!!!!

9. Dee

January 12, 2014 at 4:53 pm

The story is misleading, he never said he ‘ceases to be a member’. The letter specifically says he remains a card-carrying member of the party but is considering withdrawal.

10. Iris

January 12, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Does he promise to do so and give us Christmas a year early, or is he just trying to punk us?

11. Tao CHin..

January 13, 2014 at 2:00 am

Baba go and rest in your farm…
    looted nigerians funds for energy during his two terms in government, left us in dis array..
    He didn’t have the tot of renovating Sango otta road while in power, that traffic would continue to give you headache till it cracks you…

Hows your farm? Baba we want to BUY BOILED EGG..
    not one crate o…
    only one egg..
    Hot one o!!!

Good riddance……

Jonathan for president 2015..
    At least with Jonathan i am positive Energy would have improved come 2016 and beyond..

12. Bella

January 13, 2014 at 9:34 am

I was just about to ask that is he not guilty of crime too? Politicians, haba! Maybe with age comes wisdom so lets not be haste to judge but personally, to me 99.9% of them all are all guilty with personal motivation to greed and squander from the people that need it most! Next!

13. Anonymous

January 21, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Does it matter if the ex presidenti is a member of PDP or not. I thought he had retired for goodness sake. He should be well and truly out of headlines he was not voted in for this term so why is he always trying to make headlines. He should go to his farm and manage his crops, he should not create havoc in PDP because he can not get his own way. As an elder you can give advise (if asked or if you choose) but you should not be offended and try to bring down a party because no one wants to listen to you and you have been seen for what you are Baba Trouble.