Posted on Friday, January 17th, 2014 at 9:20 AM

By BellaNaija.com

Lupita Nyong'o - Vanity Fair Magazine - January 2014 - BellaNaija

There’s no denying Lupita Nyong’o‘s Vanity Fair Magazine shoot is stunning.

But the magazine has come under fire by fans of the Hollywood starlet who claim that her normal dark caramel skin is far more lighter than it is.

The shoot was for the American publication’s March 2014 issue for its Vanities Section.

Read a few of the reactions!

Lupita Nyong'o - Vanity Fair Magazine - January 2014 - BellaNaija 01

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 38 Comments on “Fans Attack Vanity Fair Magazine for Lightening Lupita Nyong’o's Skin on its Cover”

Comments
    • oga January 17, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Good on her

• Troll January 17, 2014 at 9:40 AM

It’s obvious they did. Like they do with all black celebrities..they should not just push the poor girl into bleaching her skin.

• becca January 17, 2014 at 9:40 AM

they definitely lightened her skin…still beautiful anyway!

• Loveth.O. January 17, 2014 at 9:55 AM

The Photo’s are amazing all the same

• Dede January 17, 2014 at 10:55 AM

NO the photo’s are not amazing anyway. The photoshop made her less beautiful than she actually is. ( i don’t want to use ugly in reference to her, but i really wanna say she looks ugly with the photoshop). Her features were even worked on and its made her look lyk a boy. what’s with the pointed chin, straight nose and heightened cheekbones???

• Mz Socially Awkward... January 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I thought it was just my eyes trying to deceive me. Vanity Fair did a l’il bit more work on her photos apart from lightening her skin…

• whocares January 17, 2014 at 12:34 PM

I didn’t notice that until you said it.. Terrible!

• Kia January 17, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I agree totally, she looks so different in the vanity fair cover. What’s wrong with her normal look? If they didn’t think she was pretty enough they shouldn’t have put her on the cover. They want her popularity but not her color.

• Leah January 17, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Thank you Dede! I am so sick of these people and their shenanigans, I said that some said I was crazy. The photoshoped the hell out of that woman. This woman’s natural features work for her and if she was not comfortable with her looks she would have changed them herself. That magazine gets on my damn nerves. I am sorry, I am in Melbourn for the first time and the heat is so bad I have not slept in days.

• sideyeblankstare January 17, 2014 at 10:51 AM

FFS dont tarnish Lupita with Beyonce’s brush.

• BellaYankee January 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Trust bellanaija to kiss ass and act unbiased about the matter.

I’m sure you won’t post my comment. Rolls eyes.

• tish January 17, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Trust BN to act neutral as always…tepid, lukewarm BN..

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian January 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Its just skin people, lighten up. (No pun intended). It
          does not take away from who she is.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian January 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Its just skin people, lighten up. (No pun intended). It does not take away from who she is.

• Modella January 17, 2014 at 11:15 AM

She is every where and BN love her obviously….When luck shine on you,there is no denying!

• Felinda1 January 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Sorry Ass Cracker Jacks, now they done fck up my billion dollar beautiful Mozart, my monet, my monalisa. Dont touch my lupitas skin or I will kill you. This is a million dollar flawless gorgeous black that needs to insured like jlo insured her butt

• Sisi January 22, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Loools, tell em

• Dr. N January 17, 2014 at 12:13 PM

I think her beauty is in her “Africanness”. They took away from her. drnsmusings.wordpress.com

• LoL January 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Stunning in that gold dress

• peyton January 17, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Vanity fair behave. Its all wrong.its suprising how trying
      to make lupita seem lighter is not more racist than paula deen
      using the n word double standards america no one is screaming
      racism here.because it is black is black its who we are what we are
      don’t make us lighter because you are saying we are nt good enough
      light enough.and guess what we are not vanity fair get over it WE
      are BLACK SKINNED and proud.

• kilipot January 17, 2014 at 8:10 PM

But it’s just studio light nooooooow. C’mon people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bee January 17, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Oh please. It is just studio lighting and flash!!!

• navida January 17, 2014 at 3:34 PM

What’s up with all the BS. She still looks pretty. Vanity fair may be did something it doesn’t mean Lu isn’t still pretty. God! get over yourselves it’s even you guys that pin point everything that cause all the drama.

• African Man January 17, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Isn’t this just a function of lighting, similar to taking a regular photo with a camera flash? Vanity Fair is not a black publication. They have no need to get into your dark skin vs. light skin battle.

• ILoveGenevieve January 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM

A tip of the iceberg of what white directors will want her skin colour to look like before casting her in their films.

• kokie January 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I watched the video of the shooting. this is just a result of whatever filters was used. she is beautiful whichever way

• Toyin Agbetu January 17, 2014 at 6:17 PM

It’s so obvious what the Vanity fair photographer was up to, its not just the lighting, the choice of white background and pushing of contrast levels to highlight whites is a deliberate manipulation of Lupita Nyong’o’s image that misses the point director Steve McQueen so brilliantly emphasised by casting this natural beauty as the leading woman of his instant classic ‘12 Years a Slave’.

I’ve been working on and plan to release a feature length film this year on this and related topics about beauty from an African perspective. You can catch the trailer at;

youtube.com/watch?v=n4_dGjxNBo0

I hope you enjoy it and help spread the word.

Peace.

Toyin Agbetu

• Ohmine January 17, 2014 at 6:43 PM

people have problem for real! Lupita looks the same, its just the studio lightening for goodness sake. Move on and focus on more important topics.

• Ella January 17, 2014 at 6:59 PM

@Toyin just saw the trailer for your feature length film, it looks educative. I am proud of you for actually accomplishing this feat. When will it be out in theaters? specifically in Canada? I wish you many success in your endeavors!!

• Blessmyheart January 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM

They didn’t just make her lighter, she looks slimmer, her face also looks different

• SOLO ACT January 17, 2014 at 10:01 PM

black people are always opening their mouth about something. it is flash and studio lightning. her skin tone looks about one shade lighter. and everybody gets their features changed in photoshop. RELAX

• navida January 18, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Please correct your language.

• NNENNE January 18, 2014 at 3:31 AM

All I see is toned, Fabulous African Queen.

• Stephanie January 18, 2014 at 6:05 AM

Both pics are still beautiful
      blogsvila.blogspot.com

• Kara January 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I sincerely have had it with Nigerians, and Africans in general nitpicking and making so much about the distinction between ‘Us and Them’, ‘Black and White’ etc. Its a photoshoot, dammit. No one ever does photoshoot without having the picture touched up. If her touch up happens to make her lighter, I don’t even understand how y’all made that into a racial slur. KimK has touch ups done, Beyonce, even Tilda Swinton looks whiter than she is in photoshoots!. We really need to calm down and not be on the offensive all the time. Yes there is racism but we don’t have to become overly critical/cynical of everything. Lupita looks beautiful whichever way, lets not take that away pls.

• donna February 4, 2014 at 1:38 AM

She wasn’t lightened up, it’s the photo lighting. I am a photographer and all it does is lighten the picture…

• Chiazam Kalu February 20, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I don’t get it.black people will always find a reason to bring rasicm into the picture. I’m not saying they did or did not edit the picture cause of her color but must everything veer towards the colour of our skin. Get over yourselves.