NGO gives Low-Income Earners an opportunity to own a Home

Beneficiaries of a Previous Fuller project in Nigeria

Beneficiaries of a previous Fuller project in Nigeria

The Millard Fuller Foundation (MFF), a Non-Governmental Organisation, said it had constructed residential houses for low income earners resident in the FCT and its environs.

Sam Odia, Chief Executive Officer of the foundation, made the disclosure on Friday in Abuja while briefing newsmen on the campaign of the NGO called “My Fuller My House“.

According to him, the campaign is aimed at servicing low income earners and bridging housing deficit in the FCT.

Odia said that the each of the houses, located at Masaka, Nasarawa state, would cost N1.6 million to acquire with a relaxed payment plan.

He said that the foundation plans to construct the houses across the 36 states and the FCT.

He said that interested buyers were expected to pay 60 per cent initial equity deposit.

He said that the houses would be sold on owner occupier basis for as little as N8,500 per month with long term mortgages.

PIC 18. FROM LEFT: HEAD SPECIAL PRODUCT GROUP, FEDERAL MORTGAGE BANK OF NIGERIA, MR SHEHU OSIDI; HEAD OF VALUE CHAIN UNIT, GERMAN INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION, MR HORST BAUERN-FEIND; CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, MILLARD FILLER HOUSING (MFH), MR SAM ODIA AND THE CHAIRMAN, BOARD OF DIRECTORS, MFH, MR SOLOMON YERO AT A NEWS CONFERENCE ON AFFORDABLE HOUSING UNITS IN ABUJA ON FRIDAY (29/1/2016) 0585/29/01/2016/EO/ICE/NAN

Stakeholders at the Press Briefing

The CEO said that the mortgages would be provided by Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria through its low income informal sector window.

He said that the foundation had 200 units of houses with 92 units ready for sale.

Odia said that the project would provide opportunities for low income earners to own a modern house.

He said that the Fuller Centre for Housing, an international NGO, active in more than 15 countries provided the seed funding for the project in Nigeria.

He said the centre was founded by Millar Fuller, who also founded Habitat for Humanity International, the world’s largest house building NGO.

Odia urged the media to serve as partners in the foundations’ crusade to ensure that every Nigerian own a decent and affordable home.

Photo Credit: Fuller Centre for Housing | NAN Photo

18 Comments on NGO gives Low-Income Earners an opportunity to own a Home
  • Amarachi January 29, 2016 at 11:12 pm

    ‘He said that’ , ‘He said that’, ‘He said that’…annoying much. ..

    • temz January 30, 2016 at 7:44 pm

      like!!! i just stopped reading.. Very Annoying

    • Emma Okey February 2, 2016 at 10:47 am

      Intelligent fool; can’t you take the good thing in the story and forget about the presentation of the story…Mumu

  • Nigerian January 29, 2016 at 11:16 pm

    Low income earners? Indeed

    60% of #1.6Million is about #1Million. This is a mortgage company disguised as an NGO to avoid taxes. Very clever. What exactly is the interest rate?

    Nigerians please open your eyes and minds don’t be exploited.

    • BellaNaija.com
      BellaNaija.com January 29, 2016 at 11:36 pm

      @Nigerian, while we do not know the specifics of the interest rate, this charity is very reputable internationally.

      At the press conference, they stated that “the houses would be sold on owner occupier basis for as little as N8,500 per month with long term mortgages.”.

      Consider the cost of cement, land, labour – how much do you think it takes to build a structurally secure house, no matter how small?

      Charity of the future is self sustaining. If they just give people houses for free, the scheme will die off, charity of the future is more of social entrepreneurship.

      • Nigerian January 30, 2016 at 1:16 am

        I appreciate your response and I am not trying to argue with you.

        I understand what the NGO is trying to accomplish and we appreciate it God knows someone needs to bridge the gap between the rich and the poor in Nigeria

        However, if I can afford to put 60% of the cost down chances are that I can come up with the remaining 40% within a short period of time.

        This “NGO” is a mortgage company in disguise and I bet you the interest rate and terms of the mortgage will let us know if this charity is trying to further exploit Nigerians.

        I don’t buy this “help the poor” campaign and I am sure as a blogger you’d respect my opinion as everyone is entitled to theirs

      • adelegirl January 30, 2016 at 10:36 am

        Need to get details of this home ownership scheme for our driver please. He lives in Masaka already. If he can own his own home via this foundation instead of paying exorbitant rent, this would be fantastic for him. Please include details of how one can apply/make enquiries. Well done to the Fuller Foundation!

    • June January 30, 2016 at 1:22 am

      GBAM!!!!! hit the nail right on the head! Reputable … Smutable…. All these foreigners coming into the country as NGOs , all about “Africa ” now. The new “missionaries” for Africa. lets all take out our history books.

    • Halimat January 30, 2016 at 5:43 am

      “However, if I can afford to put 60% of the cost down chances are that I can come up with the remaining 40% within a short period of time.”

      this is not always reality. Everybody’s struggle is different. I can afford to buy a monthly pass for school and some food on my table but I cant afford the cost of books for each of my classes so I go to the library and borrow or reserve a book for whatever time is permitted.

      your idea of finance is heavily flawed in my opinion. Im very happy that there’s low-icome housing available for families in need.

    • Bukky August 10, 2016 at 1:56 pm

      N1.6 million. Not N16 million! Less than 2 million naira.

  • Kiikj January 30, 2016 at 12:54 am

    Oh I looooooooove it when BellaNaija.com responds/replies to a comment. It shows that they actually do read our comments and know that we exist.

    I can imagine that Uche’s at her desk saying “I see you girl” “Damn, Bruno. Did you have to go there?!”. “OMG, Real Nigerian. You this girl sef. Looool” e.t.c.????????????

  • aawesome January 30, 2016 at 9:22 am

    Horribly Written. “He said that’ ‘he said that that’ .’the project’ ‘the project’

  • Tee January 31, 2016 at 8:54 am

    This is just a front , it is another form of colonization, don’t be surprise if you later found that its one of our politicians who has looted our commonwealth and now using foreigners to further enslave Nigerians, Our government should be providing affordable housing for its citizens not some NGO, They are just usurping the function of the state through back door and with the help of some unpatriotic Nigerians.

    • princess January 31, 2016 at 10:17 pm

      please this organization is not owned by ny politician.. i would advise that before you condemn another person’s attempt at good.. try to do a back check so you don’t destroy someone good intention for society.. thank you

  • princess January 31, 2016 at 10:15 pm

    Hello,
    May i please state that the payment platform are varied and optional. you can make an outright down payment at no interest atalll. secondly. you can make a 50%inital deposit and spread the remaining payment across a year or two directly with the organization. at the deposit of the first 50%percent you have access to your house but cannot have the Right of occupency until you are done with your payment. Finally,if the payment extends from 3 years-15 or 20years.. you would be compelled to pay through the Primary mortgage bank an initial deposit less than the 50% percent and then do a monthly repayment of 8.5k or 10k depending on how many years you intend to pay. also note that once you pay the initial deposit you can have access to your house. The organization does not handle mortgages.. you channel your payment through the primary mortgage bank to the FMBN…the only payment made directly to the organization are the one off payment and the one/two year payment plans. Thank you. if you need for verification, the email is clearly stated. the organization is no fraud.

  • pat February 1, 2016 at 11:15 am

    princess pls do u know the NGOs web address or Facebook page so I can followup I am interested

  • Emma Okey February 2, 2016 at 10:49 am

    You are not destined to progress, maybe that’s why you stopped reading. You can’t be a landlord

  • Zeebab August 18, 2016 at 9:44 am

    Please I really want to visit the site n see things for myself. can someone direct me. Thanks.

  • Post a comment