Toke Makinwa

Toke Makinwa is out with her VLog of the week and it is called “Do you believe in 50/50?”

In the vlog she kicks things by dancing to Fetty Wap and then describing her latest project, the documentary “Lagos to London”.

Then she gets down to the topic of the day which is equality in terms women stepping up to the plate and paying some bills, paying house rent, splitting dinner costs and more. She says “If you want to go 50/50 then let’s go all the way”.

Watch the vlog below.

35 Comments on “Some of these people that call themselves feminists almost come across as sadists” Watch Toke Makinwa’s VLog
  • glow January 29, 2016 at 10:30 am

Hi Toke, so I saw this video today before the people’s comments so I actually watched. You look beautiful, happy, your hair and make up is nice and the hotel room looked gorgeous (i’ve got a thing for hotels). What you talked about was reasonable , so my question is, why all the hatred for you on this website?

• anoy January 29, 2016 at 10:45 am

Hello Toke
      i didnt see you at the Ayida xmas dinners or any of their xmas functions which is odd blc they are a close family. Maje was there beaming but no sign of u .

• Tea January 29, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Because the Ayida’s didn’t marry her, Maje did. Did you see any of them present at the ”wedding’.
        They didn’t come to ask for her hand in marriage either does she bare their name.

• mercy January 29, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Hummmm naija wedding and yet not a single family of the groom came. Years later no trad wedding either
        All is not well for sure

• toke, I pity you January 29, 2016 at 10:51 am

Time, I dey pity you. Joy will scatter eithboyinu if she hear abt this your feminist blogging o.

• toke, I pity you January 29, 2016 at 10:52 am

Toke., I dey pity you. Joy will scatter you with oyinbo if she listen to this your feminist vlogging o.

• She loves Madam Joy January 29, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Waiting for the intellectual Joy’s response. I love that woman.

• RIFF RAFF January 29, 2016 at 10:55 am

Oya Nahum, ova to you.
    Personally i am indifferent.
    Whatever deal works for u…provided u do not start talking from both sides of your mouth when things do not go your way.

• Nahum January 29, 2016 at 11:24 am

I really don’t understand why this 50/50 is such a big deal. Any healthy marriage should be based on 50/50 or at least 60/40. Why anyone will want to burden their partner with chores or finances baffles me when you are both there to help each other out unless there is another arrangement on ground. This is not a new concept, so why is it such a big deal?

• RIFF RAFF January 29, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Lemme break it down:
        My money is MY money
        Hubby’s money is OUR Money. i just dey laff
        Feminists when it’s convenient….
        Wait till we get to Erithrea, dat una shakara go finish…..
        abeg, pesin know road for Erithrea?

• bruno January 29, 2016 at 10:56 am

a nigerian girl will split the cheque after a dinner date with a guy? if I hear. almost all nigerian girls believe it is their god given right to eat as much as they want and after they are done, the guy who took them out on the date should pay. (guys in the house, I’m I lying?)

nigerian girls like food die. its so unlady like. a woman eating food in large portions.
    “lets go out”
    “take me to that joint”
    “there’s a new restaurant on the island”

ice cream
    rice and salad (in large quantities)
    just to name a few, are one of many delicacies the nigerian girl loves to eat when a guy takes her out.

a woman’s salary and business ventures are her personal own but the husband’s salary and business ventures is for the family.
    the man must bring money for school fees for the kids, as if he is the only one that brought the kids into the world. the man mist bring money for rent, as if he is the only one living in the house. the man must bring money for food, as if he is the only one eating in the house.

• xag January 29, 2016 at 11:38 am

Don’t mind all these apostles of the dubious Nigerian brand of feminism. Feminism only applies when they want to do what they like. When it comes to paying and splitting bills they remember they are Nigerian women.

• concerned January 29, 2016 at 11:54 am

You can’t speak for everyone. I have female friends who are married who share home bills 50/50 with their spouses and have no problems. I also know a woman who is frustrated because she wants to pay some of the bills but her husband won’t allow her to, because he says it’s his God-given responsibility. And I swear all these people I speak of are Nigerians

• Lol January 29, 2016 at 1:12 pm

They are lying. Boo I’m telling you, your friends will flex and say they share this and that. And they can’t take shit from their husband. They are lying. Lying out of their asses.
        Never listen to anybody. That’s how people break their home because their friend so called did that to their husband so it can work for your hubby. Shine your eyes. People Don’t hang all their laundry outside for you to see.

• hezekina pollutina January 29, 2016 at 12:41 pm

if they are not married, its cool to split the bills. but its good for guys to spoil the girls sometimes, if they know whats good for them, lols. but not to the point of exploitation on ladies part. its nice for the lady to cover the bill as a nice gesture, from time to time. i think the snail-paced move towards the middle is ok, otherwise, i think just like guys take advantage now of free sex, they will soon not be paying for anything, so the snail-paced move towards the middle is ok, so we can find a balance that works for naija culture.

• Debbie January 29, 2016 at 11:08 pm

Oga Bruno. Welcome. You have been MIA.

• Nahum January 29, 2016 at 10:58 am

there are millions of women that already go 50/50 and have no problems with it. I agree, you can’t pick and choose on this issue, it has to be all the way. I work, and I work hard. Hubby works and we have kids. He helps out with the kids and chores, I help out with bills. This is not rocket science.

• terrany January 29, 2016 at 11:57 am

???? thank you. You said it all

• Natu January 29, 2016 at 11:13 am

If white women can go 50/50 African women can also do it. The only reason why y’all find it hard to go dutch is because y’all have been conditioned to believe that the man is head and hence should take care of all the responsibilities. Get that silly ideology out of your system and you will be fine. Afterall, as an adult you should be able to care for yourself financially. Your husband is not your father!!!!

• aka January 29, 2016 at 12:19 pm

and in your mind youve said something intelligent… ova clap for your self!!

• Taiwo January 29, 2016 at 11:14 am

Aunty Toke, If it’s comments you want, Oya comman take

• freemind January 29, 2016 at 11:17 am

Well, we are all entitled to our point of view. For me , I will do whatever positive it takes to make my relationship works. What works for your may not work for me. If it means i have to share the financial burden with my hubby , I will, provided I have an income. People should really have a seat, and take a good look at their relationship with the opposite sex , and do what it takes to make that relationship work. As a friend will always say , “A relationship should be defined for a better understanding”.
    Kindly visit iponrimarket.com. We await your order *wink*

• Ada January 29, 2016 at 11:29 am

I dey my own jeje dey imagine my bed and sleep, dey imagine my room and peace and quiet then you come and ask me to give all that up and go out with you. In addition to giving it up, I have to spend my money too, nwanne m the answer is no! When I want to take myself out, I will do it, you cannot make me pay to go out with you. The day I ask you out, be sure that I will pay. But when you ask me, biko bring out your money and pay. If you no wan pay, let’s find alternative hangout where no money is required to be spent. Shikena!

If I paid every time a guy asked me out, I would be really broke. So my final answer is this, when you say “come hang with me at 4 points” bring your money! I am not giving you mine as well as giving you my time! If we are boyfriend and girlfriend, I might do it but not when you ask me out. It might be the Igbo girl in me speaking I don’t know but this is my position!

• whocares January 29, 2016 at 11:29 am

@Bruno- lmaoooooooooooooooooo.. lool. sometimes I think you bat for the other team cos you don’t want to sha pay for the shawarma, suya, ice cream and other delicacies. loool. It’s all love and I joke.
    ahh another thing bashing feminism.. how creative *rolls eyes* (I did not even listen to it but my comment is based solely on the bn headline. If im wrong, blame BN for trying to be provocative)

• ify January 29, 2016 at 11:43 am

I enjoyed watching the video… That’s all Ive to say. #okbye

• Bubu January 29, 2016 at 1:14 pm

How come I enjoyed this video!! Toke pls keep it at intelligent topics like this. And u look soo happy.

• Lol January 29, 2016 at 1:14 pm

I like the equal pay of feminism and the no child bride. And some gender roles. The whole naked thing and its my body just reversed over 100 years of women’s progress.
    I like to cook for man, in the future I would like to take Care of my kids, I like when doors and chairs are open for me. That’s just me.

• Nne January 29, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Hehehehehehehehehehehkikikikikikikikikikikikikikiki.I hate FEMISIM I love being a woman .I love being seen as weak by the opposite sex, I love the attention, I love being A typical NWAIGBO. I think most feminist are frustrated in their relationships and seek solace in their funny propaganda. On a more serious note why be a feminist when u can get a man do your BIDDINGS! all men crave for respect why not use it for your advantage.

• olu January 29, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Yes I am a Nigerian man…and a responsible one at that. I will do anything legal to provide for and protect my wife and kids.
    Our money is our money …..and it’s all 100%. We are one so there’s nothing like 50 – 50. It might have been a little tough when we got married but we do it comfortably now ..and guess what, both our parents are exactly the same way even if they grew up in the Nigeria ‘of old’.

It is 100% for us. everything.

take this from a Nigerian man (raised in Nigeria and living in the U.S) and happily married for over 10 years. and Yes, we live the naija way so don’t think we have been Americanized. I work mostly from home so I have more time to clean up the house and get the kids ready for school. The wife LOVES to cook and serve my food…..so yes, we are not Americanized.

We don’t practice feminism or malenism. We do whatever it takes to have fun and provide for the household. ….and yes, we were raised by like parents.

To each his own …and good luck. God bless.

• Sammie January 29, 2016 at 5:23 pm

I totally agree with you @bruno. What pisses me off is the emotional blackmail “Aren’t you a Man?” What the WTF?

So I am not a man because I choose to live within my resources? I should go beyond my resources to please you? Am I your father? Are we not managing the current economic climate together?

A relationship should be about growing, developing and evolving together not what’s in it for u!

• Uberhaute looks January 29, 2016 at 5:27 pm

No be today African women Don dey support hubby ooo…our mothers did it and are still doing it even before we heard d word ‘feminism ‘
    Once in a while, give a little credit to Nigerian women!

• Cindy January 29, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Who does the chores? Who bears the kids? Who takes care of the kids? Etc the only reason Nigerian men are crying is because they only have finances to offer in a marriage/relationship. So mechonu all of you?

• TE January 29, 2016 at 8:58 pm

• Hawt Talk With Tosan January 29, 2016 at 9:42 pm

I have been married for 14 years and I can say that the well-being of the family cannot and should not rest on person. It is OUR family…we both chip in financially, emotionally and share in the chores. Doing it together in my opinion works better. Now, how you do the math is for you and your spouse to decide…the equation may just falls into place naturally with no discussions had.

• tiana January 31, 2016 at 2:28 pm

sorry who is she – any talents – just confused really – apart from looking pretty who is she ? don’t have enough life experience in my opinion to address an audience.