Beauty Geek: Wigs Are Back in Style & Here Are Reasons To Rock ‘Em!

Entrepreneur Jennifer Olize & Media Personality Toke Makinwa rocking wigs

Entrepreneur Jennifer Olize & Media Personality Toke Makinwa rocking wigs

Years ago, wigs used to be for our mothers and grandmothers. It was not fashionable for one to wear a wig as a young lady; but that’s not the case anymore.

Wigs are in! Especially since so many modern and versatile styles are now being created as wigs. It is even hard to tell the difference between a wig and sew-in these days as there are professional stylists who have mastered the skill. Many of us are now wig lovers with good reason.
Let’s have a look at some of the advantages of wigs over sew-ins

1. One doesn’t need to sit through the construction of the wig whereas you’d have to be present if you were having your hair installed or sewn-in.
  2. You can always take the wig off and let your natural hair breathe
  3. It’s much easier to style hair on a mannequin than on your own head
  4. One can change hairstyles more frequently with wigs. On the other hand it would be tedious having to sit through weave installation process every two weeks.
  5. It is less damaging to your hair because there is not thread pulling at your hair.
  6. It is much easier to wash your natural hair thoroughly and more frequently

Wigs are awesome, but you better not get into a fight with your wig on, because if your opponent knows, she will target it! It can be very embarrassing to have your wig pulled off at a social gathering and I’m sure that’s the main reason why some of us don’t fancy wigs. However with band and combs installed on wigs, it would take real effort to pull the wig off.

Weighing the pros and cons, which would you go for, a wig? Or installed weave?

41 Comments on Beauty Geek: Wigs Are Back in Style & Here Are Reasons To Rock ‘Em!
  • I just waka come… February 10, 2016 at 6:12 pm

I like the time saving benefits of wigs.

My problem with most wigs is that they LOOK like wigs. Wiggy.

That aside from the fact that many wigs sold are a careful assemblage of premium goat hair.

I would love to buy some good quality ones.
    I haven’t a clue where.
    If you’re reading this, be kind enough to recommend if any good brand pops into your mind.

I see some and I just can’t get the image of a freshly styled mop out of my mind…?

• I love wigs February 10, 2016 at 6:45 pm

These are horrible wigs on show here @toke and @jennifer. @i just waka come d best thing is to make ur own wigs with ur own premium human hair. Iv turned all my human hair to wigs,if ur in Lagos you can go to downtown salon in vi, they install d wig for 10k or my best is my stylist at d salon at Murphy’s plaza 15k. Den the trick is also a good closure. Iv been wearing wigs for 2yrs now, all of a sudden I developed a kinda allergy anytime I did a weave, it itched and itched. No one even knows I wear wigs, dey look dat good and my natural hair underneath has really grown.
      My only ehhhhh is when my boo pulls it off when doing the doo, it can be a bit embarrassing bcos my hair underneath is matted underneath n doesn’t look so sexy.

• I just waka come… February 10, 2016 at 7:51 pm

Oh wow, thanks for the tips! @I love wigs

• Doxa February 10, 2016 at 8:56 pm

It does not have to be embarrassing nau, just do weaving (abi na cornrows) with your own hair under the wig and wash frequently (maybe every 2 weeks) to prevent odour and itching.

• nkechi February 10, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Hello, you can search for @blacklockshair on instagram. she has very nice wigs

• bunmi February 10, 2016 at 10:29 pm

look for glitzandglamourwigs on instagram!!she is literally the reason i started wearing wigs shes in abj dou

• Candace February 11, 2016 at 3:01 am

hairstopandshop.com/shop/pc/home.asp this website hate good hair especially Janet Collection. I have been with them for 6years and the hair quality is good. The prices reasonable.

• omolola February 11, 2016 at 8:25 am

@wigsbysally have great wigs..you can check up her page on ig

• Tee February 11, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Hi… My friend makes wigs with hair you provide.. So you can give her yiur weave and she’ll make it into a wig for you.. Or you can tell her the type of weave you want and she’ll do the wigging.. Check her page out on IG ; @Aliceandesther or send an email to info@aliceandesther.com

• Shade February 11, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Hi dear, follow @twosistershairng on ig . they make the best wigs from pure virgin human hair

• Beht why February 10, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Wigs went out of style?

• King Bae February 10, 2016 at 6:20 pm

I’m not really into wigs, i love my sew-ins,.. i feel great with them. My fear for a wig on my head falling off is real LOL. If it ain’t sew-in, forgerrit! LOL! 😛

• Lady February 10, 2016 at 6:41 pm

Wigs are a life saver for me.i think the very first one i got was synthetic and made me look way older.but i later found the fitted ones that come with combs on 3 sides (left,right and back for a more secure fit) and i have had no worries ever since. Sometimes i work on saturdays and being a worker in church can just deprive you of some pamper time esp if you are married. So i just throw on a wig on monday and im good to go.

• Tosin February 10, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Might work for me, more reasonable than making hair or whatever.
    And like y’all said, I can be that neighbourhood superspy with changing colours and lengths – just add a hat and sunglasses, yippeee

• Sorry but not Sorry February 10, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I’m Sorry but…the hair game in Nigeria is HORRIBLE
    There are very rare times I can say I see a female with her hair being on point! It either looks very wiggish, matted, old hair looks brittle and dead, not blended, closure is so far back, damaged edges being made into baby hair, wig/closure not plucked right…..even natural hair is done wrong or its left in TOOOO DAAAMMMMNN LOOOONNNG (sew-in are suppose to be in for 90 days tops ladies!) smh
    Tiwa Savage is the only celeb I can say her hair is flawless majority of the time.
    Get it together or stick with the braids abeg

• huh February 10, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Madam let us see your own hair first. Very easy to talk but we all know usually the remaining four fingers are pointing back at the accuser

• Sheun February 11, 2016 at 6:49 pm

I sooooo agree with you! The ones I see in Nollywood films makes me shudder! One has to know how to tease and style any type of hair to make it look good, and a lot of them just ain’t cuttin’ it.

• Kween February 10, 2016 at 8:33 pm

I love braiding my hair. i dont mind sitting all day to get a nicely braided hair. More into the crotchet thing now and its even more convenient. Wigs are just for my bad hair days.

• Onyii February 10, 2016 at 8:43 pm

What’s this one saying? What is 90days? 3months? Change ur location abeg and see ladies with very nice n neat hair. Check around too, there re super cool wigs now. U wont even know when u see someone wearing one.

• We slay…. #formation February 10, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Onyii, I bow for ’90days’ o.
      Maybe she stays at Okoko or Abule Meran or Igbenihidun.
      Move to civilization bae.
      Ain’t nobody :managing’ a weave for 3 months. Wetin happen na??!!

Urm shout out to all my Okoko peeps o! One love… ?

• Onyii February 10, 2016 at 8:43 pm

90days ko, when babes change their hair every 2-3weeks

• Cancel Reply February 10, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Did they ever go out of style?

• Hazel February 10, 2016 at 9:52 pm

Search for @hairweare on instagram. I buy quality wigs from her.

• You gotta be kidding me! February 10, 2016 at 10:30 pm

‘Sew in 90days tops??’ Is it attached to the brain?
    In this goddam heat?

If you leave it for more that 2weeks, mehn,you,’re an MVP.

• Clara February 10, 2016 at 11:24 pm

The wig genie on Instagram makes affordable wigs.

• Abbey February 11, 2016 at 2:47 am

Those wigs are horrible. They need to hit up Tracy Nwanpa (hope I spelt it correctly ) her wigs are on point

• I said so February 11, 2016 at 9:33 am

Remind me how much tracy nwapa’s wigs are again? About N200,000.00!!! I found out when i made enquiries and recieved the price list via emial.For what please? You can still look very classy in premium human hair wigs for wayyy less. I dont need to break the bank for that. Im out.

• Folasade Adegboyega February 11, 2016 at 6:54 am

Wigs are great; saves you alot of time and stress; even money on the long run, I showed by colleague the way o ( turning all her weaves to wigs) and she said it was one of the best things that happened to her in 2015

• DD February 11, 2016 at 8:02 am

@ronawigs on Instagram. Sharon makes the best wigs ever!

• nena February 11, 2016 at 8:37 am

Please who knows anyone that can turn weaves to glueless wigs in warri? Ive been looking around for a while now but no success

• Wiggy with it February 11, 2016 at 9:44 am

Tracy Nwapa for the win. Her wig line is amazeballs.

• Doxa February 11, 2016 at 10:02 am

Hahaha! Neighbourhood superspy..
    Reminds me of the NTA program ‘Square One”. There was one episode that had this song:
    Call: I am the neighbourhood superspy
    Response: Superspy
    Call: I should be working with the FBI
    Response: FBI

LOl! Don’t get me started

• turner February 11, 2016 at 11:27 am

I have a serious phobia for wigs. I hate seeing them lying around in a room or being placed on a wig stand in a room. it’s quite disturbing. Or what if it falls off in public? the shame! Na! I’ll rather have sew-ins and braids.

• Baba please pick my call February 12, 2016 at 4:55 am

What kind of Jackie Chan wii you be doing that it will fall. If o’lokoda is your fav type of transportation, then tie ‘skaf’. Life is not hard.

• Iyun February 11, 2016 at 2:55 pm

I’m so in love with wigs these day, they save lives.. You can checkout wigsbysally on IG, she has nice&quality wigs.

• Tosin February 11, 2016 at 3:31 pm

🙂 lol
    and @turner ‘s wig-phobia. Sometimes they look like they’re moving. Lord! I remember seeing one on a head (what to they call them) on a table. Jixox’ blood!

• Shade February 11, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Follow @twosistershairng on ig . they make the best wigs from pure human hair

• Bimpe February 11, 2016 at 11:13 pm

I prefer wigs oo no time to sit through the entire process I make my wigs with @hairbybeautygeek on instagram and they have good prices from 5k sha

• Bisi February 12, 2016 at 8:51 am

Yes to this post! I like wigs, they are great! You gave really good tips especially about letting the natural hair breathe.
    In using wigs, you can grow your natural hair healthy and fast. There won’t also be a mistake of cutting the hair as in using sew-ins.
    Whichever one is fine but I prefer wigs (they have more pros than sew-ins). Especially really well made ones. I make with @hairbybeautygeek (check them out on instagram). They make inexpensive and very good wigs that last. (No pullouts. No sheds)

• whosaid February 13, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Abeg who said that wigs were old fashioned? Please with people like @_beautybyqueen and @wiglounge on instagram you cant be carrying last. wigs all the way