This Talented Piano Player Has a Dark Side! Watch the Trailer for Chula

Chula 4

The film Chula is a Psychological thriller about a young African woman who resides in the Washington DC area. Chula, played by Selamawit Worku is a film about transitions, dichotomies and the cycle of one’s suffering. Chula is a successful piano player and a perfectionist by nature.chula 7

Her skill and discipline however comes from a darker place. An upbringing tainted by a strict father, one whose authoritarian and disciplinary attitude towards Chula caused a great deal of grief for her in adolescence and childhood. Chula’s progression into becoming a talented Pianist began with emotional, physical and verbal abuse.

chula 5As she entered her adult years and transitioned into becoming a professional player, Chula began a new form of self-torture, in the form of substance abuse. Chula’s most significant and meaningful relationships always seemed to end due to Chula’s erratic and unpredictable behavior.
The film Chula is written and produced by Ledet Muleta | Directed by Shane Michael Colella

chula 2chula 1

chula 3

Watch the trailer here:

For more information visit the website HERE.

7 Comments on This Talented Piano Player Has a Dark Side! Watch the Trailer for Chula
  • ElessarisElendil February 27, 2016 at 2:09 am

Is she Nigerian, South African, Igbo, Fante e.t.c. This African thing really has to stop. Even as hard as Uruguayan is to pronounce you don’t see people going around calling Luiz Suarez American.

• Don’t Care February 27, 2016 at 7:56 am

OMG! Thank you. It’s pisses me off soooo much, I take it personal. The irritating thing is that it comes mostly from Africans esp. Nigerians. You’ll see a comic about Nigeria and the description will say ‘African comic’. An award show where only Nigerians are nominated ‘African woman blah blah blah’ How can we keep lumping ourselves together and expect the west and others to not do the same. Not like, we should care what they think but still…*sighs. I’m so happy to see someone else feel this way. I really thought I was the only one annoyed by this generalization.

• chichi February 27, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Quite unimportant on a bigger scale of things. How about we love to be Africans full stop, When a Nigerian commits fraud in the diaspora, I bet you’d be happy that he is called African rather than Nigerian in the international media.. I get where you’re coming from but lets put that passion to a better cause. After all we say Europe when one part of Europe is so different to the other. Anyway this film looks pretty well done, and an interesting story no doubt.

• Don’t Care February 27, 2016 at 5:20 pm

@Chichi, pls, it’s not unimportant. I don’t know the last time, I referred to any white man as European, once I hear his/her accent I know at least the part of Europe where they’re from. If we’re planning to grow as a nation and continent, we’ll need identify ourselves and make our cultures distinct. At least, when you see someone dancing, you can say this is a west African or South African dance. Nothing good comes from lumping ourselves together.
        And no, if I see a criminal referred to as African, I’d still ask “What country is Africa???”

• Tosin February 27, 2016 at 6:33 am