Do “Creatives” Have to Dress a Certain Way? WATCH Ngozi’s Take on The Ngee Show

Is there a manual for the clothes “Creatives” wear? Because according to Ngozi, you can almost spot one from a mile away.

On this episode of The Ngee Show, Ngozi rants about creative apparel problems.

She says “So, my rant on this webisode is really how people (especially the CREATIVES) want to act like if you don’t look a certain way you can’t do a certain thing. Oh I’m a stylist, so I must look like I rolled out of a thrift store. Oh I’m a painter, so I must wear one weird shirt? My thoughts! Love to hear yours.”

Watch!

22 Comments on Do “Creatives” Have to Dress a Certain Way? WATCH Ngozi’s Take on The Ngee Show
  • Aunty Amebo March 4, 2016 at 11:30 pm

Yay. I have been waiting for a new webisode. Love Ngozi

• lifeisbeautiful March 5, 2016 at 8:26 am

Then let me ask you something. What is normal? I didnt get half the shit she was saying cuz she seemed more condensing than comedic (yes, there is a difference). Maybe she doesnt understand the creative world or creative mind itself. Some of the most intelligent and fascinating people I’ve ever met were also labeled weird maybe because they lived in their own worlds. Your opinions are exactly your opinions as you said. As long as you’re not hurting anyone or oversexposing your body I could care less what you wear. The same reason you opined a girl shouldn’t walk into a creche with “bozo” make up for an interview may be the same reason Mr Whitey won’t hire you because of your natural hair (because it’s not normal). So what is normal or what is purely misunderstanding?

• molarah March 5, 2016 at 2:37 pm

But let’s be honest – their “eclectic” way of dressing has become the norm, the dress code. That means it’s not even eclectic anymore. Do you see this? It seems more like a bit to conform with fellow ‘Creatives’, not a movement to stand out and be different. And that has removed the creativity/uniqueness from the equation.

• Nkiru March 5, 2016 at 9:30 am

I use to enjoy ngee show but now she is starting to rather annoy me with her “I am so better than you” attitude.

• December Wind March 5, 2016 at 10:31 am

What’s not to like about this woman. I admire her guts. Her sense of humor is 100% . It’s just fun to watch her be herself . Nice one Ngozi

• Special k March 5, 2016 at 10:36 am

So so right!!! Missed Ngee

• Me March 5, 2016 at 10:39 am

Honestly, ngee u hit the nail on the head! Suddenly everyone has an eclectic style??? It has become so much of a norm that looking ‘normal’ is almost scoffed at. Nd i cannot even see what is ‘condensing’ about this video.

• Fisayo March 5, 2016 at 3:20 pm

But has it occurred to you that normal is relative?

You do realize that at one point, sporting natural hair was considered “eclectic” and out of the norm?

Expand your mind some more, see the life out there and come back and test your “normal”, You must give room for those who wish to identify their own normal with what is different from yours.

• Mrs Nwosu March 5, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Love this!

• D.W March 5, 2016 at 1:46 pm

I’ve never understood the dress code of rap artistes. One rap song usually about haters even though no one knows you yet and next thing it’s 10 gold chains and jeans hanging for dear life at their ankles. Just keep it simple; t-shirt and jeans and a fresh haircut.

• molarah March 5, 2016 at 2:38 pm

*bid, not bit

• Natu March 5, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Do what ever is convenient for your lifestyle. Why are Africans so pressed about the choices of others. Just do you!!!! Dem too talk!!!

• guest March 5, 2016 at 5:13 pm

How about wearing whatever the heck you want to wear and letting others do the same? If you don’t like eccentric styles, you don’t have to wear them. It is not rocket science.

• Tell me March 5, 2016 at 5:17 pm

What is the dress pattern of bloggers? OTT- Over The Top! Designer apparels head to toe #hastag gratefultoGod

• Mide March 5, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Epistle alert…pardon me, i’m on work break…hehe!

I can give a reason why many Creatives tend to look different and sometimes shabby sef, and i use that that to mean peope in every field who are more concerned with digging deep and creating (even scientists too) ..just generally speaking, the mindset of such people tend to be heavily focused and driven by the beauty of what they are able to create rather than how they are seen…so I try not to get hung on their looks. That said, a lot of it is attention driven… That is why Kanye insists on looking homeless and Lady Gaga wears Meat….all na for attention, no way it makes sense, believe me if they believed they could get the SAME or MORE amount of hype and public attention for just their talent, a lot of this nonsense would be out the window…

In Naija, the MUA one gets on my nerves, you see a MUA with craw craw all over and masquerade face coming near you…like she missed the largest organ of his/her body to just focus od the face…i dont get it-… As for fashion…I hear you Ngee, I am a creative myself, I generally love to look sophisticated even sometimes for random trips to the supermarket, but there are days i cant be bothered…days that life happens…I go with the flow….and yes, there are certain looks that quiz my mind even in Fashion…. I once saw some male editor something James abi James something looking dirty and on the panel of a fashion show…I had my double brows up, like HOW DARE YOU…- i mean skin, clothes, footwear, hair- weak and dirty…..and forming Euro-Centric Minimalist…i’m like ‘Chile’, Europeans will disown you! Have you walked the streeets of Milan, London, Paris, Berlin, Antwerp, Amsterdam, and seen top fashionistas looking dirty??? Even Raf Simons ultimate minimalist…..Quirky- yes, Dirty- Hell no!!! I also sit and watch the slippery slope Temi Dollface is on, recently looking more n more like a bin whenever she steps out, i have some pics of her best moments saved, but these days I just shake head and move on…. I understand what Ngozi was trying to say, my only critique would be that,

1.) We can’t all look the same or adhere to your idea of normal, the world would be much to boring that way—yuck!… Instead, if you’re chanelling a look, understand its context, and by all means present it with such elegance that even your haters will blush when you’re not looking! I believe quirky can be very beautiful if you know how to do it well….I mean I won’t personally wear many things Lisa Folawiyo wears, but when she falls out, she looks GOOD and more importantly SHE OWNS the looks! Same for Zara Opara, i dont know why her wedding wasnt here on BN, but i guess she’s quite private so i’m not surprised…but her gown—GORGEOUSNESS!!!!! whether older like Iris Arpfel or younger like Janelle Monet, you can be over-the-top or understated, from the red carpet, to the supermarket, but still with a lot of elegance about your presentation… I also like Emmy Colllins, hate his gut all you want, and yes on somedays I would style him differently, but brother is sharp even in his quirky shirts n pants! not clownly like many money miss roads or forced like our new crop of bloggers. Different can be beautiful.

2.) I felt she kept trying to hold back….honey if you’re gonna go there, then GO THERE!!!!! I could tell she was overthinking and trying not to step on many toes as she went along…

Average ass people keep trying to feed the public rubbish, forgetting that more people are also experiencing the world ouside of the Nigerian lens…

• Tosin March 7, 2016 at 6:44 am

the funniest part was “double brows” – i don’t know what that is, but i can imagine it looks like ox’s horns? 😀
      Janelle Monae. (i’m half-asleep, been up almost five hours and the spelling was really freaking me out like i couldn’t figure it out and had to check. Monet is cute, shows where your mind’s at 😉 now i have to consider i think going to work, do you think i’m going to wear a flow-impeding bra and uncomfy shoes at this point? )

• TheM March 5, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Quite a pointless post

• i understand Ngozi March 6, 2016 at 1:09 am

I get where Ngozi is coming from and if you watched till the end you will get it too. she is not saying don’t wear what you want but keep it mostly to your industry gatherings. when you are going to apply or meet people in a professional setting, dress properly.
    Ngozi is a product brand manager and i’m sure she has dealt with a lot of creatives who seek out endorsements or commercials. if for example you are a MALE personal stylist and you have been contracted to style the actors of a commercial for a big company, when you are going for the concept meeting or even on the day of the shoot, the Moses gown you wore to LFDW should not be the outfit of choice. the gown is ok for LFDW but not to a professional meeting. there is a place and time for everything, That’s all she’s saying.
    Wonderful video Ngozi. Keep it up

• Tosin March 7, 2016 at 6:38 am

lol @ Moses gown. hehehehe.
      but you don’t understand, it’s a whole lifestyle. it’s hard to put energy in adopting a different life even for one meeting. imagine having to wear a suit or something, it would be “pinching” me, like, no, i have to make it different, can i make it rumpled, or wear it backwards, or pair with slippers, or have like nipples, or drop the earrings, otherwise it’s just really oppressive to a person who always feels like they have to be expressing something interesting/fresh.

when corporates create space for folks to “be free” in their companies, then they can get creatives to stick with them. until then, almost no amount of money can do it. (i’m not kidding. i know lots of people.) and society suffers when block-heads (not as an insult, just people who have sorta ossified) are in jobs that want fresh ideas.

• Tosin March 7, 2016 at 6:29 am

I haven’t watched yet, but yes, we sorta do.

i also dress normal sometimes but it’s incongruous with my behaviour. better to dress in line with my self, right? 😀

just two days ago i went out looking like a clown, i looked in the mirror at my China up (a sorta imitation qipao dress frilly floral dress), India down (a simplified dhoti, like light cotton trousers), and Michael Jackson shoes (white/silver, with sparkles, if you hang out with me you’ll see more of them), and smiled like yea, girl, you look like a clown. i was really excited about that outfit.

went to visit my parents – mum’s work first, she no complain because i will just fight with her. friend visited too and greeted mum and we left together, she no talk. i get home to see dad, mum had reported my friend i guess, first thing dad said was (in Yoruba) what the hell are you wearing looooool, then used style to ask about who i was hanging out with, what he does, (IT oh) what kind of IT and i explained in detail, and he said because the guy looks like he didn’t go to school, just like my other friend that i claim has a PhD. loooooool. just like nearly all my friends. funny thing is mum also met my unemployed friend but he looked right to them loool.
    They need to get used to it, they’ve known me for thirty-something years. I’m not marrying an accountant loooool. Probably not marrying anybody.

• Nancy March 7, 2016 at 12:43 pm

that awkward moment when Ngozi sounds so old and lame.

Brian Mcknight ….. lol , Ngozi what time do you live in?

• Tosin March 8, 2016 at 1:16 am

just watched…fun video. she’s really funny.