News

NFS 2006

BellaNaija.com

The Nigerian Fashion Show (NFS) celebrated its 10th anniversary a couple of weeks ago.
The NFS is a yearly fashion show which promotes the best new designer in Nigeria. It is really a great concept! Many fab fashion designers have won this award over the years and this has launched them to greater heights. The event is organized by Lexy Mojo Eyes and the winner gets the opportunity to showcase their collections in Europe and South Africa.
Last year’s winner was Henrietta Agboola – House of Henri.
The competitors this year were – Ismail Alhassan of Ishy Couture, Didi Obibi Couture, Shobayo Abolore of Ore Apparels, Adebimpe Adebayo of Beampeh, Princess Latifat Momodu Lamoliatte of Ravissant Mode. Designer, Buki de la Zaria MCd the event.
The winner of this year’s competition is Tessy Oliseh (Former Super Eagles Captain, Sunday Oliseh’s sister) – Tesslo Couture.
Check out the pics from this year’s event…

Thanks to purephoto for the pics

What do you think?
Futuristic or over-the-top?
Creative or dull?

Let us know!

Living & Celebrating the African Dream! Catch all the Scoop on www.bellanaija.com Follow us Twitter: @bellanaija Facebook: @bellanaija Instagram: @bellanaijaonline

1. Parazone Super bleach

November 7, 2006 at 4:46 pm

These designs are fab! Luv the way the chick in the yellow combined the yellow ruffled shirt with the ankara skirt! Noticed the high waist band trend.

2. Angie

November 7, 2006 at 4:47 pm

The NFS has really come a long way. Love these pics bella!!! Its quite creative too…

3. Icy

November 7, 2006 at 5:06 pm

Naija has come far o.. as backward as the crime rate and standard of living may make it seem. Das just flipping kool. A lot of couture fashion shows are Art pieces not necessarily wear to a party type thing.. futuristic? That I’m not so sure of. More ancient interpretation, trying to go back to the old ways..! I like it.!

4. Overwhelmed Naija Babe

November 7, 2006 at 6:13 pm

a few of the pictures were very artsy/couture-like but not really wearable… the shapes, the cut.. amazing on some of the clothes actually… I never wear any sort of traditional material…but these are so cute that i actually could/ might.. are they affordable?
    lmao the judge was trying to be fashion forward with his leopard print scarf but he was just off! lol.. but he gets an A for effort sha! whao.. i guess those high waisted skirts are realy on fire in naija right now.. the girl in the yellow is really rocking em! the lady with her blonde hair and pale face scares me!!! lmao

5. bibi

November 7, 2006 at 6:49 pm

some of the outfits were a bit out of the world…cant really wear them out..

but the yellow outfit was HOT..love the combination..pretty girl too…

6. zaiprincesa

November 7, 2006 at 6:50 pm

WOW!…Some of the designs are fab (The first photo, and the high waisted ankara skirt)…while others are borderline…over the top!. But still, i give them props for their creativity, albeit much! Nice pics, Bella!

7. Anonymous

November 7, 2006 at 8:18 pm

Combination. The off the shoulder figure hugging long ankara dress with a splash of solid yellow is beautiful.

Other designs I think can be deconstructed. Since it is NFS I guess the creativity leaves room for couture work combined with ready to wear.

Keep it coming baby!

8. babe

November 7, 2006 at 8:37 pm

these designs make me wanna go SHOPPING….for real…I am already envisioning how I am going to sew trad when I go to Naija for christmas….I need to bookmark you so I can keep on gazing at that yellow outfit.

9. Omodudu Blackboi

November 7, 2006 at 8:44 pm

I believe this is more of the ready to wear variety, right? If this is the case , the its very impressive.
    I would have loved to see something more edge though, like ‘couture-ish’. Where is the winners pix?
    Look at me talking like I know a thing about fashion hehe.

10. Adaure

November 7, 2006 at 9:17 pm

THAT YELLOW NUMBER IS BUNZ!!!! THE FINESS OF THE BABE MAKES IT EVEN BERRA….HMH… SHALL THERE BE ANY MONEY TO TRIP THIS XMAS BECAUSE I AM JUST SPOTTING ALL THE BAFFS THAT I SHALL BE COPING. KEEP IT COMING BELLS

11. Anonymous

November 7, 2006 at 9:54 pm

Most of the clothes are cool. But some of them can’t be worn and that calabash one is just unrealistic…had me craking up…LOL

12. Anonymous

November 7, 2006 at 11:40 pm

not everything on the runway is wearable..

13. Wordsbody

November 8, 2006 at 12:31 am

The lady (in black and white) sitting with Erelu Abiola is an Aunt of sorts, a very close family friend from my younger days. Aunty Susan.

14. Bella Naija

November 8, 2006 at 12:53 am

@parazone – Yeah, her outfit is fab! that’s y I included her…I’m pretty sure its Omowunmi (same girl as yesterday)

@angie – thanks girl!

@icy – thanks girl! it has really come a long way…its like futuristic meets village life

@overwhelmed – LMAO..the guy is really giving us the metrosexual look…thanks for the comment

@bibi – thanks dear…I have to see that LDA when it is ready

@zai – thanks sweetie

@Anonymous – thanks baby! lol

@babe – thanks oo..watch out for more

@Omodudu Blackboi – lol..everyone innately knows about fashion

@adaure – thanks sweetie …i am going to miss u! i hope i get to see u!

@anonymous – the calabash one was actually one of the winning designs! Uber Haute Couture

@anonymous – very true…its meant to be high fashion after all

@wordsbody – thanks..I luv ur blog..I was wondering who she was cause she looks familiar..I admire all our fab Nigerian aunties!

15. koshie

November 8, 2006 at 3:10 am

why the parrot/pigoen/dove or what bird species it is? is that suppose to add couturism to the line? I’m not really feeling it. the designs are not anything out of the ordinary. He/ she tried

16. bibi

November 8, 2006 at 3:48 am

LDA: do u mean Lanre Da-silva -Ajayi?…

17. Vera

November 8, 2006 at 4:02 am

I definitely think it’s creative. Go Naija!!!

18. NIGERIA POLITRICKS

November 8, 2006 at 2:00 pm

Nice! Always good to see Nigerians making progress in the fashion industry…Good job there!

19. uzo

November 8, 2006 at 4:40 pm

Oh! Lovely pictures girl. We have come such a long way. I am proud of us. I just wish other aspects of Nigerian life would catch up as well.

20. yankeenaijachick

November 8, 2006 at 10:04 pm

Nice ….am loving the outfits. Girl, where do you get all this ones ooo?

21. Toni Payne

November 9, 2006 at 12:13 am

House of Henri shirts are a must have. She puts herself into her clothing.

22. Anonymous

November 9, 2006 at 1:24 am

Who is this omowunmi ? Is she a celeb in Naija cuz she is evry where! Cute girl

23. tatafo!

November 9, 2006 at 2:40 am

i remember watching the first nigeria fashion show on t.v i think it was NTA 2 channel 5 that aired it. And i was blown away. That calabash outfit seems to come back almost every other year.

24. temmy

November 9, 2006 at 10:12 am

You never disappoint girl, keep up the good work.

25. d

November 9, 2006 at 12:07 pm

dulll…that calabsh bikini or is it a coconut…booooooring…

26. Tutsy

November 9, 2006 at 4:15 pm

Love the designs…naija has really come a long way. Have to say i am very impressed, can’t wait to lay my hands on those ankara skirts when i visit naija in December. Speaking of which can u give me the 411 on nice spots in Lagos now? I will really appreciate it.

27. Icy

November 10, 2006 at 4:20 pm

eeeeehnnn Bella comeo. Is that a birdie on Number 2’s picture.. say it ain’t so loloL!

28. Anonymous

November 12, 2006 at 1:40 pm

Visit this site at your own risk!!