News

TOJU FOYEH

BellaNaija.com

Hey Everyone!!
Long time…well not exactly but it has been a week!
How is everyone doing?
I’m alright…
Ok…I take that back…my resolution is not to be whining and complaining but to be grateful and joyful so
I’m great!
How have you been?
I was in South Africa last week and all I can say is that it was eventful and sooo busy

I will just give u some random tidbits from the trip
I spent a couple of blissful hours on the beach 🙂
I lost like 10 pounds in one week ‘cause I just couldn’t eat the food for some reason 🙁
I got a surprise kiss…not a romantic kiss…traumatic but funny story 🙁

What did you do on Valentine’s Day?
I went for dinner at this fab restaurant in Melrose Arch, Johannesburg was actually really good.

Anyways, today I am featuring a fabulous up-and-coming designer, Toju Foyeh.

Here is a short Q & A with the designer
What inspired you to start designing?
When I was younger I used to go through my mum’s magazines. Stuff like Harpers and Queens, Tatler and Vogue and I thought fashion is something I would like to do some day. I was particularly intrigued by the creative art of high fashion and started putting my ideas on paper from the age of nine.

Do you have any formal fashion training?
Not at the moment. However, I plan on going to fashion school after I complete my Master’s degree next year.

How did you come up with the name of the label?
Toju Foyeh is the abbreviation of my name which is Toluwaloju Olowofoyeku. I wanted to keep it personal.

There seems to be loads of new Nigerian designers sprouting up, what makes your label different from the pack?
Well I’ve seen a lot of stuff from Nigerian designers and I think that they are all quite unique in their own way. At the same time feel I pay a lot of attention to detail and choose my fabric carefully. I focus a lot on the finishing of my clothes as presentation for me is very important. At the same time I’m open different fields of fashion as well as native African clothing.

Are your clothes available to purchase or are they made to order?
I hope to make ready to wear in the near future but for now I’m just taking orders as I am still at university.

What sort of fabrics do you use and why?
The type of fabric I use depends on the design. I enjoy experimenting with different fabrics such as lace, ankara and damask.

What is your dream for Toju Foyeh?
To eventually grace the runways of New York, London, Paris and Milan.

There are so many young up-and-coming Nigerian designers but there is something about Toju Foyeh that stands out.
I can see lots of creativity especially with her use of fabric and some of the decorative cuts.
Definitely lots of potential.

That’s it for today!!!
Tell us what u think of Toju Foyeh and of course u know I want to hear about your Val’s day adventures!

Living & Celebrating the African Dream! Catch all the Scoop on www.bellanaija.comFollow us Twitter: @bellanaija Facebook: @bellanaija Instagram: @bellanaijaonline

1. onydchic

February 18, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Hmm, I usually dont dwell too much on designers, even Nigerian ones, but i must say her stuff are pretty good!

2. Anonymous

February 18, 2008 at 2:16 pm

bella kindly tell more bout d KISS so we feel encouraged to reveal all bout Vals day shenanigans or not…..LOL

3. Bella Naija

February 18, 2008 at 2:24 pm

@anonymous
    I said it wasnt a romantic kiss! At all! as per it was a traumatizing unwelcome kiss on the lips…no tongue lol but in a funny way.
    I have to find time to compose the story!

4. Anonymous

February 18, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Nothing different with this so called up and coming naija designers.
    i find it disturbing how EVERYBODY and their mallams daughter wants to be a designer.
    i mean what SETS THEM APART?

when i think of v.westwood–something comes to mind.

versace–something comes to mind

Ann Demeulemeester –something comes to mind.

but all these people just come out and spew the same shit on us.

Good stuff.BUT nothing that makes me go WOW!1OUTSTANDING.

hate my comments or love it.

someone has to come out and set themself apart from the usual suspects.

once i hear naija designer,i can almost already envisage what is going to be for lunch.it’s like their train is always on time,everytime.

never taking risks,playing safe etc.

i still commend them because i know it takes a lot from drawing board to the final finished product.but common,lets start doing things that will make people go YEAH! THATS WHAT WE TALKING ABOUT.

fashion whore

5. Unbiased

February 18, 2008 at 2:44 pm

I think Toju’s designs are cool and very high street. But it all comes back to the ‘how so they get to my wardrobe?’ question.
    Vals day was dry this year. No man. Yuck!!!
    Glad you have a nice time bells.

6. 1stpet2v9

February 18, 2008 at 3:30 pm

wow!!! I LOVE d gold dress and d red dress!!!…

7. Yetty

February 18, 2008 at 3:36 pm

i luv her designs….for me vals was as dry as bonga fish…hopefully next yr will be better

8. Idemili

February 18, 2008 at 3:39 pm

Like the flamenco-y brown one and the terracota one next to it. Also the tiny silver one. Great clothes. Can he make me some?

9. AlooFar

February 18, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Bella, you must have had real fun on Val’s Day. For me, it was also my Bday. I had maximum fun… what else can I say?

Hey! I think ur blog is more addictive than facebook.

Cheers.

10. Pink-satin

February 18, 2008 at 4:10 pm

finally!u update….i made top 10

11. Pink-satin

February 18, 2008 at 4:13 pm

she is pretty good!her designs are awesome..the models are BEAUTIFUL!!!

12. Anonymous

February 18, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Gosh!I love her clothes

Sassycassie

13. Anonymous

February 18, 2008 at 4:44 pm

love her designs, how do i get them?Sista has loads of potential,wish her the best.

14. uNWrItten*

February 18, 2008 at 4:55 pm

wow..very niceeee..how does one get in contact with her? would love to feature her stuff in one of my fashion shows..

15. Queen

February 18, 2008 at 5:31 pm

To comment 4.
    I think her designs are not bad. I like the first dress the most. I think you have not seen other impressive Nigerian designers yet. We have up and coming designers like DAV!D (david) from Canada, Amaka Osakwe from London, Cranberry from America, Ruky Frocks from Manchester etc..

Vals day was O.K. I had a class test that did not go too well.

16. Anonymous

February 18, 2008 at 5:51 pm

no doubt the clothes are nice…BUT did she make them herself….or did she just give them to some tailor to sew…i think we need to be careful befor we start calling people designers…e.t.c….i want to beleive that it is actually very frustrating for someone who is currently in fashion school and dealing with the demands of the work…to see designers coming up every left right and centre…..the clothes are nice…but i dont think she has earned the rights to be called a designer…lest i think we shud encourage her…as if she could make this clothes herself…then she has great potential…i salute the likes of Amaka Osakwe….Bomo Anthony and Ponmile Olawoye…who are actually in fashion school and dealing with the hefty demands…these are the people we shud be pluggin!!!
    end off!!!

17. Anonymous

February 18, 2008 at 6:02 pm

If she designed them, then i think its safe to say shes the designer?? Isnt that how it works??

I really really like, never heard of her, wish her all the best!

18. Uzo

February 18, 2008 at 6:02 pm

South Africa? Very nice…..Toju’s stuff is interesting..I really like the fuschia kimono style top

19. Brown Shuga

February 18, 2008 at 6:12 pm

🙁 🙁 Damn gal, what was wrong with OUR food??? Serves you right for not TELLING me you were coming…I coulda made sure you get food you woulda liked….

Am so mad…No, I’m fuming…and damn mad!!!

20. Ladybrille

February 18, 2008 at 6:44 pm

I do think Toju’s designs work and I highly commend her for lacking the “formal” training but being able to design. From the cascading ruffles to the tulip like dresses, I like what she has produced.

Also, she has not dubbed herself as a couturier. Rather she is making ready to wear collection. Simply put, there is only so much ways you can cut clothes, in a ready to wear collecion/line. It is is not wearable art or some sort of French couture. It’s meant for the everyday woman. To that degree, she gets a high fashion score for functionality.

I think the deciding factor then becomes fabric selection/prints, colors and design details. My verdict, for a up and coming designer with no formal training, not bad.

Someone alluded to being in fashion school as the needed stamp of approval. While I am a firm believer in education and happen to be in fashion school, I don’t believe great designers have to go through formal training. In fact so many great designers did not necesarily go through formal training. They were self taught and learned from other great ones by apprenticing for them or observing. So, it need not be a formalized training.

BTW, I do know designers with formal training who can’t sew to save their lives. Their strength is sketching and they outsource the work, draw up an intellectual property agreement with the outsourced designers and claim they did the work. They can do that. It’s legal and quite common.

Others who can design, as their business expands, they simply do not have the time to run a fashion company, handle all administrative aspects and then also design every garment. To meet demand, they hire deisgners, again draw up an IP agreement and usually they oversee the work to make sure it is in line with their brand.

Toju’s work is a start and obviously there is room for improvement. Toju I like all your designs except #3. What were you thinking? 🙂 Looks like she went to the bathroom and forgot to pull down her dress! O ti o!

21. guerreiranigeriana

February 18, 2008 at 6:46 pm

i like her designs as well…how does one go about procuring them?…

22. Anonymous

February 18, 2008 at 6:55 pm

Na wa o..people need to stop hating…if they are really into fashion, they will know that designers don’t make their own clothes hence the name ‘designers’..they design and other people sew. Please get your facts right before slamming other people’s efforts. I do not know this designer but give her some credit.

No one was born to be anything..people begin to say you were born to do this and that when you take the time to perfect your art which is why people go to fashion school…to cut better, make superior patterns etc etc. Becos her designs dont look as crazy as what you see on the runway doesnt make her less a designer ok! Every art on this earth maybe innate or learned but what’s important is how you birth it…There are people who went to fashion school and have crappy designs.

Do yourself a favor, read up on all the fashion designers you were dropping their names before you blast someone else…

So typical of Nigerians…they are quick to forget Valentino and co didn’t get to the spotlight in one day..they worked towards it..

If you are really into fashion, you should know that even in fashion school…they have folks who sew your designs…so do your homewok ok!

And then we wonder why they think black folks are inferior when we don’t encourage our own instead we complain about how they are not up to Valentino and co…I am sooo seething right now…Rubbish…

Good job jare Toju…whether you only design or cut or just look on and direct….You did it!

Slim

23. mercedes

February 18, 2008 at 7:10 pm

bella..this toju was featured @ ikenna ordor’s valentine’s ball @ envy..correct mi if am wrong..but she has fab fab designs..i luv dem

24. Ladi

February 18, 2008 at 7:14 pm

She’s got fabulous stuff. Many of the other designs seem to imitate each other but Toju’s kinda diff.

25. Ladi

February 18, 2008 at 7:17 pm

typo- many up and coming designers imitating themselves

26. Anonymous

February 18, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Have you all noticed the models are not size zero and the designs look great on them, Keep up the good work, Toju.

27. shopliquorice

February 18, 2008 at 7:54 pm

liking what i see. a lot.

28. NigerianDramaQueen

February 18, 2008 at 9:32 pm

I loveeeeee her designs. . .pretty impressive for someone with no formal trainig in fashion design or the arts. Does she have a website??

29. Anonymous

February 18, 2008 at 9:44 pm

i need to vent. is sean john a designer? is baby phat a designer? all these brands all have people in the background that do their tailoring…. these people are the designers as far as i am concerned.

i need anonymous no 4 to answer these questions.

support your own..

30. sTeLlAsGrOoVe

February 18, 2008 at 9:55 pm

someone needs to give toju a kiss on the cheek and a pat on the back for me.she has really good designs and the materials used are really hot.shes kinda different but i wud encourage her to dare n use local fabrics or mix both and see what happens.shes aight.
    pple stop hating ur won adn stop patronizing foreign designers!

go toju!
    go toju!!
    go toju……………..

31. DAVID

February 18, 2008 at 10:16 pm

1. Fashion school is NOT for everybody.
    2. Fashion is NOT always dramatic.
    3. A fashion designer does NOT have to know how to sew. That’s just like saying an architect must know how to build houses.

That being said, I think Toju Foyeh rocks. As a young upcoming designer, she’s doing good things. Whether or not she sewed the clothes herself, they are pretty well done.

I’m liking what I see. Big ups girl!

32. Nwanyi Ocha

February 18, 2008 at 10:51 pm

The clothes look fab, especially for someone’s who just starting out. Could definitely see myself in one of em.

33. anjugrasay

February 18, 2008 at 10:57 pm

I think most people saying support your own don’t really have access to see the work of most prolific/international designers especially when they grace the catwalk pls for ref visit style.com

@anon 5.15, yes we do read on so called international designers and no one says Rome was built in a day, but if she thinks she’s already a couturist with this, can I be the one to break it to her now “pack it in love”…. It not going to work

and am sure you’ve heard of the word delegate/outsource in business terms (whatever one is involved in…)

Sorry I am going to be one of those who criticizes like they say “one of our own”
    But these clothes are as ordinary as any you find in any of the high street shops…I really don’t know what to say….

Seriously these clothes are available on request???? Someone please tell me they would rather (if given the choice) pick no 9 or 10 for an elie saab or valentino couture dress…and let me eat my hat…anyone passing the ketchup yet???

34. delabique

February 18, 2008 at 11:40 pm

@ anonymous4:51pm sewing(taking to a tailor) is one thing and ‘designing’ is another thing. Whoever said you had to be competent at both b4 u can lay claim to having made an outfit?

Toju’s designs are uber and very nice indeed

I am into garments production myself (check out my designs at delabique.blogspot.com) and believe me it takes a lot of hardwork, guts, determination and the grace of God to pull through

I totally concur with Ladybrille she just so on-pointis so

35. Anonymous

February 18, 2008 at 11:52 pm

nice collection. very chic. i love the way u promote nigerian entrepreneurs.

Please could u check out my blog. http://www.truthbetoldbyamum.blogspot.com.ur blog gave me inspiration to start mine. i would love ur comment and if u could introduce my blog on urs. thanks

36. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 12:36 am

she’s fab! I want one of her designs. How do i get in contact with her?

37. bunmitrice

February 19, 2008 at 12:58 am

Personanly love foye’s style..its elegant and brilliant!
    cool

38. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 1:05 am

To anonymous 1.44pm, don’t hate. Appreciate a young Nigerian girl doing something she loves and is amazing at. Toju’s clothes are fantastic, seen them myself as I modelled for her in a fashion show. She is going to be big.

39. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 1:09 am

i spy some of d models as stephanie faderin and benita okagbue. d designs are fab. toju is currently at Reading uni so for her to combine her studies and design such fab clothes is amazing. i can totally see myself in all of them. Go Toju u rock girl.

40. eFJay

February 19, 2008 at 1:12 am

I’m glad you blogged about ‘tojufoyeh’, toju’s one of my rly gud friends. I’m rly proud of her…

If anyone wants to contact her about her designs, you can do that via facebook, find the group ‘tojufoyeh’ or send an email to [email protected]

41. Doja

February 19, 2008 at 1:15 am

The clothes look good and I can see myself wearing some of them. Good luck with the designing.

42. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 1:56 am

Thank u for your support!!I really appreciate it, because it really encourages me to move forward and do better…i hope to keep up to your expectations

My contact details are,[email protected] and im also on facebook as Toju Foyeh…

43. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 2:37 am

can someone please put up the link to her facebook group? i’ve searched for it and i can’t find it. thanks!

also, (bella aka our very own oprah, lol) shey people are paying you for these ‘endorsements’ sha? i meannnn, once it’s on bellanaija, it’s on everybody’s mind o! whatever it is! now i want a toju foyeh dress! lol. keep up the good work 🙂

44. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 3:00 am

pretty, chic designs miss foyeh….a lot of room for improvement, but 4 starters, u’ve done pretty well…keep it up!!

45. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 3:06 am

To the hater how about u do smth creative in life instead of criticizing her efforts. she is young and as u read she got inspired at age 9 and she’s developing her ideas now.(she has 2 start 4rm somewhere..dont u think) she doesn’t have 2 sew to be a designer…..i suggest u go do ur homework well about fashion b4 opening ur mouth next time. Toju u rock, ur designs r fabulous.

46. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 3:08 am

Here is the link for Toju Foyeh’s group on facebook. http://uclac.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6796918958

47. COMMENT 17'S AUTHOR IS AN IDIOT!

February 19, 2008 at 3:36 am

all u dumb people that abuse the knowledge of typing, its says leave a comment, which for example,u say either the clothes are hot or not! but the dumb ones go on writting essays about designing school and her not cutting fabric and all that!

shes a fashion designer therefore she ”designs” clothes stupid!

did she say she’s a tailor??

i dont know why nigerians are always ignorant and never happy 4 others!!

thats d reason y she wld end [email protected] top and ur silly ass would remain reading her stuff on the internet!!
    (ref: comment 17)

how many pple go to fashion skool but still make sum not so amazing stuff!!
    personally i think the person that wrote comment 17 shld eat shit!

TOJU ur clothes are fab!!
    keep doing u!

48. SYNDIK8 DENIM

February 19, 2008 at 3:41 am

Babes im proud ov u!
    lovely stuff……im still waitin on my fish leg skirt! lol

choookie..

49. ~*naija's emerald*~

February 19, 2008 at 3:50 am

I must say, her designs are pretty good. Vals day was bleh…this year…but there’s hope for next 🙂

50. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 3:58 am

Toju Foyeh is a very enthusiastic and lovely person,
    but that of course really isn’t the point here!
    I would just like to state first and foremost that for the “One” who thinks anyone would rather pick an elie sabb or valentino couture dress over Toju’s designs, Yes, More expensive, obviously High Fashion and there’s More Exposure,
    But, Wouldn’t You Now in this time and age ( where african designers are celebrated internationally!) consider a Deola Sagoe or Tiffany Amber’s creation (Considering they even have couture lines!) alongside these high fashion designers. They Didn’t start out great and fabulously popular but obviously worked their way to the top!
    Toju. as I personally know has put in more than enough thought,effort,creativity and craft into these designs! I obviously do think that criticism is full on needed to develop and grow! But please appreciate effort and originality( As she has obviously shown!)!
    She is not like all the other “so called” designers out there who look at “Vogue, Happers Bazzar or even Look” sef and regorgitate the very same “High Fashion/ Topshop designs” they see on those pages!(of which there are numerous people like that!):-)…(No Hating Intended here and Not saying that you can’t be inspired!)..
    Either way, Toju’s designs are brill, effortlessly chic, easy and very well constructed(almost like they are made for You!!!) and I think she is definitely forging a name for herself in this market!
    I mean, Tiffany Amber and Deola Sagoe( Whom I adore!) Have proven that a journey of a thousand miles starts with a step( Which Toju has taken)!
    Get Her Stuff!!!!!!! She’s HAT!
    “U GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!”…
    lol.. x x
    Umi!
    P.s Toju see u in MILAN! I’ll stop over right after Karl Lagerfelds chanel show:-)

51. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 4:02 am

Toju…you go girl whether you’re the designer and tailor or just the designer!

It’s important that we start doing our own thing and leave these western designers behind in a cloud of dust!

@ anon 6:24 pm I alos noticed that the girls who modeled(sp) the clothes were average sized and how well the clothes fit on them all.

you go girl!!

52. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 4:04 am

also i think there’s enough room to celebrate people who went to fashion school and did not go to fashion school.
    the true test is how long and how well they last.

53. supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

February 19, 2008 at 4:37 am

i absolutely love her designs!!!

54. BOBBY

February 19, 2008 at 7:01 am

I like Toju Foyehs work. Good job!

I really admire anyone who gets off their ass to do something.

We can sit down and criticize for now until kingdom comes but at the end of the day, it boils down to what YOU are doing!

It is not easy to have a passion and then actually get up and make things happen.

I think her clothing is very fabulous!

Toju again, good job.

Meanwhile, if yo know me personally you know i am a fan of DAVID…i cannot wait for Bella to do something on DAVID.

Bobby Tee~

55. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 8:09 am

Can someone send a memo to Naija models/photographers to stop spreading the skirts of their dresses. Reminds me of kindergarten pictures.

56. Mr.Fineboy

February 19, 2008 at 10:28 am

Welcome back, hun. Hot clothes, but what I wanna know is…who is that model in the first couple photos? Kai. Hook it up, Bella!

57. Ifeomaadiagwuagwu

February 19, 2008 at 11:10 am

Toju Foyeh’s designs are just too… beautiful!

Way to go, sista girl.

58. Jaycee

February 19, 2008 at 12:00 pm

but geez…I love those dresses o…my goodness!!!!

59. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Great designs, but nothing I havent seen before. Its funny cos I was thinking about these young nigerian designers, when I was watching the last episode of project runway. The task was to create an avante garde piece, inspired by the model’s hairstyle. And I thought to myself. There is NO way any of these so called ‘designers’ can do it. Or create a piece inspired by some work of art.

60. sexywriterchic

February 19, 2008 at 12:52 pm

theres always going to be people that dont like stuff..i guess everyone is entitled to their opinion..if u like it..u like it..if u dont..u dont..anyone trying to determine wat a fashion designer is..is jus as stupid as idris judgin american idols..wat gives u the right?lol..everyone cant like everything..if u dont like it..dont force other people not 2..buy valentino and shut up! abi? im joinin the queque to buy now, while i can still afford them..x

61. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 12:58 pm

at anon 11.2oam

pls dnt display ur ignorance further!!deola sagoe has been in the fashion industry for a number of years now so it is quite obvious that none of these upcoming desingers can match up to her…but all the same…they are new and developing and deserve to be given a chance…u cant say just becuase they are not on the same level as mrs sagoe they are not designers…hav u seen her 1st collection?it does not level up to some of the things that were featured today!or some of the things i have personally seen from up and coming young designers…so pls…before u judge,commend them for thier efforts cos it really is not easy!!

as for being tailors,its quite sad how narrow minded nigerians can be…u see sean john add his label to his’clothing’ but i bet if i ask u if pdiddy is a desingner u would agree…donatella does not sew…neither does she design…even ralph lauren hires ple who also design and sew so please being able to sew does NOT make u a designer…its just an added bonus!!

this chick needs to be encouraged from what i hear she is only 19 and in the university…for her 1st time effort this is amazing…dnt get discouraged by what is clearly bitterness and ignrance…keep it up…well done…muchos gracias!!

62. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 2:13 pm

It says leave a comment and I have done just that. I am entitled to my opinion. No need to get insultive. Did nt put anyone down. Just said that there is nothing special about the collection. I can look up vogue, get a desing, describe it intricately to my tailor, and she’ll get it done.

63. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 2:23 pm

that alone is insulting…not recognising efforts is insulting…because you are basically saying she wasted her time and effort.you are a dream killer…thats what you are!she did not look up vogue as u patheticly admited to…she came up with the design…like the ones u would see in vogue and sewed it,therefore it is her design…so u wither patrnonise her or keep on steppin!!

i dnt even know the chick but the hating is too much!not everyone would like the stuff but still recognise effort and good work!

64. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 2:25 pm

i see where comment 17 is coming from, (anonymous)he/she/it (lol) is not disputing the fact that the clothes are nice and also is not disputing the fact that we should encourage her. From what i understand from that comment i think a point is being made that anybody can easily give instructions to a tailor to add ruffles here and there on a garment e.t.c. Anybody can do that, we all give our clothes to tailors and give them styles to sew, be it styles altered from a magazine or out the top of our heads but that does not necesarily make u a designer.IF THAT SHOULD BE THE CASE EVERYONE IN NIGERIA WOULD BE A DESIGNER.
    i know quite a few people who have put sketches down a paper at young ages, and they are in school now bettering their skills,have made clothes themselves and they havent branded themselves as designers yet. But they are soon to be.

65. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 2:47 pm

why dont people just stop acting like a typical daft naija and forget about other ppls comments ..who cares? what do YOU think? In my opinion, the clothes are FAB..well done toju..you are definitely talented and it takes perseverance and hardwork to actually make this happen. Ignore the haters who wish they could make their own dreams come true and continue to follow yours!!!

66. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 3:18 pm

ok ok ok…i’ve seen first hand how much work and talent it takes to do what Toju Foyeh’s doing.1st thing, I’m just as honest a critic as you are!! I am more than impressed with her work…I personally will support every soul that wants to do more than just be a walking specimen on this earth e.g DAVID (Eniola from Canada), Stephanie Faderin, TOJU FOYEH, Oby Iyamah(Canada), Yasser Claud Ennin…the list is endless…You wow me first then i’ll be sure to tell my pple to step up!

67. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 4:13 pm

BULLSHIT..
    the brown dress is a COPY FROM ZARA.
    i have the exact same dress in black,i can even get the code name from the dress tag.

i wonder why some people are getting overtly touchy about other peoples comments.

is it not a free world?
    are we not allowed to agree or disagree with things we like or do not like?

why try to make us notice BY FORCE that toju is a fantastic “designer”?
    isn’t that left to whoever is looking at her “designs” to decide?

MY OWN FACT REMAINS THAT WONDERFUL CREATIVE MIND SHE MIGHT HAVE..BUT DESIGNER/TAILOR SHE AIN’T.

and i INSIST i HAVE THAT BROWN DRESS IN BLACK..straight out of ZARA.

fashion whore…love me or hate me..i couldn’t care less.

68. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 4:20 pm

h8r…………show us the brown dress o…we r waiting!!

69. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 4:21 pm

oops i’m talking about the second picture.infact she did not change ANYTHING about the dress.hmmm interesting…i guess herself and Ortegas people share the same “brain” what a joke.

glorified high street stuff flossing as high-end designs.

do we even know what it means to be called a designer??

some earned it by virtue of cash that they can just flow into their businesse.g sean john,kimora shitty hell no baby phat,(who wears that cheap looking mess??)etc.

but when talking about designers..PLEASE LET THOSE WHO HAVE PAID THEIR DUES STARTING OFF IN BACK STREETs OF ROME ETC AND WHO BUILT CONGLOMERATES STAND UP AND RECEIVE THE OVATION THEY DESERVE.LET THOSE WHO HAVE A STORY TO TELL,STAND UP,NOT THOSE WHO JUST FELL INTO IT,OR DO FOLLOW FOLLOW.

you even see some copying stories of the old sages,

infact,let me step back and laugh.

toju is ALRIGHT..BUT NOTHING WOW–OR FANTASTIC.

BUT THAT IS MY TRUTH.AND I’M NOT TRYING TO LUMP IT DOWN ANYBODYS THROAT.

not every body who thinks its the “in-thing”.

70. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 4:24 pm

wow! her stuff r so gorgeous and wearable! Bella, do u pls have her website or something? i see about 4 or 5 i wanna order ASAP! Beautiful stuff.

Nma

71. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 4:25 pm

@ ANON–3;20

i can see you are one of miss tojus “PSYCHO-FANS”

hun,take a deeeeep breathe–it ain’t that serious.

i STILL MAINTAIN..the dress is a COPY FROM ZARA.

and if i don’t show you what will you do?

eyaaa—-sorry ehn,i know its painful when “haters” like me don’t see things your cloudy way.

toju keep up the good work,even though i still don’t see anything fantastic in your designers,but you will still get your client base definitely.

but its not for me,too common and far from unique.

fashion whore…

72. Tope

February 19, 2008 at 4:29 pm

I think Toju should be proud of all these comments, good and bad, because it shows that people are paying attention and creating buzz about her work 😉

Rock on, girl!

73. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 4:32 pm

anonymous Zara…lol…thats the best i ccan describe u with. urrr..i’m a zara freak too and a fashion lover….u need to know that Zara itself copies their designs off the runway! So do other designers…every1 gets their inspiration from somewhere and its not a crime..i can tell u how many times ave walked into Zara..H&M and the likes and spotted outfits ave seen on the runway and other high end designers. It’s very very possible sweety, so don’t get too heartbroken. lol.

74. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 4:40 pm

@3;32…now u beginning to make sense–just a teeny weeny bit sha..

when someone copies,why can they not be honest about it?rather than faking all those “i got an inspiration at the age of nine,hence i’m a designer bullshit”

thats the difference between ZARA AND THIS DIME A DOZEN NAIJA DESIGNERS.

ZARA DOES NOT CLAIM TO BE A DESIGNER–WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET—RUNWAY RIP-OFFS.

BUT AWON DESIGNERS WA NKO?

they will NEVER confess to what they truly do.

take a walk round the boutiques on bond street one night and you will be shocked at the extent some naija “designers” go to,to get “inspiration” for their designs.

i remain…
    sincerely
    ANON ZARA…A.K.A FASHION WHORE

75. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 4:46 pm

@ fashion whore…

thanx for ur comment..its a shame i could not impress you with my collection.

as for your accusation,believe it or not,i have never seen the dress you are talking about at zara or where ever.if Bella had put the picture of the back of the dress,you would have seen what made the dress ‘different’.That dress is a simple dress with a puff sleeve,any and everyone can come up with that,not just zara..but thanx anyway for your feedback…

Thanx to everyone who supports me.i rly appreciate it..Toju Foyeh…xx

76. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 4:50 pm

[email protected] Anon Zara….most designers wont come out point blank and tell u they copied nau….zara and the likes no go do that. Her 3rd design does look original tho…and u’d agree w/ me wen i say that alot of designs by diff designers tend to look quite similar for a particular season/trend…in the spring for instance, there’s a particular reigning trend or style that designer follow or go by and thats usually what they heed to…last spring/summer was the puffy designs, sky-high heels, pattern-inspired…..so its moreso a trend type thing than copy-copy thing.

Nma

77. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 4:51 pm

awww—toju sweety,don’t mind people like me,i like your graciousness even in the face of some mad-arse harsh comments.
    but at least at such a young age you have learnt the number one lesson of the public eye,some will criticise(moi),some will criticise to bring you down(they know themselves)and some will love and adore you.

just keep doing you,and hold your head up,..but i still have that dress from zara sha..ha ha.

good on you girl.i’m impressed by your maturity.at least it puts an agbaya like me in my place a bit..just a bit oh..

fashion whore.

78. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 4:55 pm

@anon..3;50
    e
    yes,now we are speaking the same language.
    you are right,i guess the season does determine what trends all the designers follow….so much as it HURTS me to say it..you are right..kinda..sorta..but not 100% sha…

ANON ZARA…A.K.A FASHION WHORE.

79. My 2 cents

February 19, 2008 at 5:22 pm

Hei Bella,long time reader, 3rd time commentor lol!

Beautiful clothes and really good finishing and like lady brille rightly affirmed, you don’t have to be “Sura de tailor” to earn the title fashion designer.

I co-ordinate my wardrobe and honestly skecthed my clothes to be made months ahead before I decided to inculcate the designs part to my styling business.

Fashion is as fashion will always be a state of mind. Some people conceive and birth it, while some people will remain the consumers and end users.

I commend Toju, for the simple reason that she can birth her ideas in beautiful fabrics and colors and completes it with the aesthetics of choosing models that can show off her clothes and that we can relate to.

80. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 5:38 pm

its alrite…nothing special..but you’re creative and must be a hardworker to be able to have come up with all this as well as goin thru uni..well done but u need some peh-zazz if u knw wat i mean. the problem is that they’re far too plain!

81. Ms. Catwalq

February 19, 2008 at 5:41 pm

i want that black one with the bow…and how on earth do you have eighty comments between last night and now?

Me, i don’t understand o

82. Zena

February 19, 2008 at 5:53 pm

83 comments, most of them arguing, na wa!

I think Toju is fab

83. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 7:37 pm

babybohey bella…i love her clothes…is she based in Nigeria,if not where? and how can i order cos im in the states..

ochuko

84. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 8:19 pm

eyaaa…
    toju now i feel like an arse that i am..i see the back of your dress now,its VERYY different from my ZARA one.

don’t mind me jare,i’m just an agbaya bully atimes.

keep doing you my dear,let me go look for another person to dash trouble..even if i won’t wear your clothes,you already have a fan in me and will let some people who definitely will hear about you.

all the best in your endeavours.

fashion whore..atimes cyber bitch/bully…a.k.a wanted to give toju grief but toju no gree..so this time around toju wins..hooray..

85. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 8:28 pm

oh my gawd.fashion whore you are a trip.but i know who you are.what hapnd to your blog?u keep going on and off.you are a real abaya,but a nice and funy one.
    toju keep up the good work.

marionne ayonote

86. baberellah

February 19, 2008 at 8:46 pm

anonymous said…
    “”””when I was watching the last episode of project runway. The task was to create an avante garde piece, inspired by the model’s hairstyle. And I thought to myself. There is NO way any of these so called ‘designers’ can do it. Or create a piece inspired by some work of art.
    Only Nigerian designer that is a head above the res is Deola Sagoe. These young designers are just ‘tailors’, for real!””””

I truly BEG to differ on this comment. Some designers here have been inspired by a TOY, others by a LIPSTICK (I know DAV!D personally and her new collection is inspired by a Chanel lipstick). It’s very funny that someone would say something so ignorant like that! But that’s just life, I guess. We have to have such!

I do somewhat understand that not just anyone should be termed ‘designer’ but what should we call them? Anyone have an answer?

Why the heck would you compare Deola Sagoe with YOUNG designers who just started? lol Geez!
    She has EXPERIENCE, she does COUTURE (not like every deisnger has to), she has FUNDS to buy whatever fabric she likes. Young designers don’t have half the opportunity she does but they make it work. Anyhow, I’m tired of talking. Toju Foyeh ROCKS!

87. anti-haters

February 19, 2008 at 8:50 pm

@ Fashion whore

I hope you feel REALLY stupid now, lol. Dodo ni e! Abaya buruku! lollllllllllllll

88. Paris

February 19, 2008 at 8:58 pm

all i wanna know is y all of a sudden everyone turned anonymous???

i personally think d dresses r FAB and would definitely rock most of them.
    the chick would go places, i mean take a look at d comments!!

let me go look 4 her on facebook sef.

89. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 9:17 pm

@anti-hater
    WHATEVER!!!!
    at least i got the balls to own up to when i act stupid..whats your excuse??
    still doesn’t change a lot of my opinion.i wish the girl well,BUT her style does not tickle my fancy..

moi?agbaya ke?
    chai…at least i called myself that before you carried your large head here..go away jo,you want to join the gang too,olodo.feel amongy.tatafo is my hobby oshi.

i’m out.

@marione–okay..wow..my blog was broken into by some cyber miscreants oh..long story.thank God i saved my posts,but now i don’t know if i can even be effed to start blogging again.

fashion whore who thinks anti-haters is a smelly butt-wipe.

90. anti-haters

February 19, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Oh goshh!!!!!! LMAOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

No, LMIO (laughing my IDI off) lolllllllll @ Mama Fashion Whore aka Aunty Agbaya!!!!!!!!!!

Shame shame shame. Young Toju put you to SHAMMMMMEEEEEEEE!!!! Shay-shay-shay-SHAMEEE!!!! lololololol

Oh gosh, I’m having the best laugh everrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

91. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 10:01 pm

@anti-hater
    OH MY GOD,this must be a big deal to you,are you creaming your crusty knickers yet?
    have you come from all this yet?

i can see your life getting some much needed excitement from a simple trade of opinion on the web.

hun,its just cyber space..don’t get your crotch in a bunch over it.

and no way sweety,young miss toju didn’t put me to shame,she went a step further to prove that in her own way she didnt copy ZARA as i wrongly assumed and freely admitted.
    it STILL does not mean that i dig anything she has designed.i still have my views which top of it is that there really isnt anything new or original.

IT DOESNT MEAN I HATE.

CAN YOU GET THAT INTO YOUR PIG-SHIT HEAD?

or do i need to break it down in mentally challenged terms?
    bloody rassclaat…

sweet kisses…
    its all nice and rosey in tojus world…

fashion whore/ex-agbaya who is willing to chew off anti-haters head anytime from now.onidirirun oshi.

92. Kpakpando

February 19, 2008 at 10:02 pm

why is the comment section juicier than the post ehn? All of you should just go and sit down, awon noisemakers, radios without wire. Who died and made you Anna Wintour? Claiming fashionista anyhow, abeg jo, comot make we hear word, o so so gi?

Toju is chasing her passion, that alone should be commended; but some of these samples are cute and wearable and thats just jara. Go ahead, do your thing. Personally some of these designs don’t do it for me (who wants anything on their hips bikonu?) but the sexy cut out strapless top in the wax print with the long skirt is just what I would rock in the villa to give my momsie something else to whine about :D.

Yah, so bella RE: Val’s Day.
    I spent it watching 2 episodes of family guy with the dude, like we do many other weekdays. Even our little neighborhood pub like place had candles and flowers at each table and on the bar, I couldn’t stomach it.

93. JoblessChildren

February 19, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Mama Fashion-whore. Since you know Anti-haters so well to have no life, (Chineke help us ooo) you are even more lifeless to be studying people online!!!

You’re too funny, MAMA like you. Go find a night job since you have a day job as Electronic Dr. Phil!!!!

I can’t stop laughing from your previous post. You are actually VERY FUNNY.

As Kpakpando said, who died and made you Anna WIntour? Ara oko. Eran lasan lasan! lollllll

Bella, sorry to pollute your blog with all this madness but we needed this comic relief! lolllllllllll

xxx,
    JoblessChildren

lolllllllllll

94. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 10:25 pm

ok Bella b honest are u getting commission from this chick cos i see u updated d pics. uhm
    my 2 cents
    D designs are fab but not original but i wuld still rawk them
    how much is she charging cos these kids of d rich and famous think they can just wake up, start ‘designing’ and start charging big money.
    2 y’all insulting d so called iya sala d tailor u forget that b4 all these so called designers propped up they were d ones sewing 4 u. Besides iya sala did not have Daddys money as capital, she scrapped just 2 buy her machines.
    like i said i wuld rawk tojus clothes but am becoming worried about the trend of rich kids who dont want 2 do 9-5 jobs waking up and saying they are designers.

95. Peppersoup

February 19, 2008 at 10:44 pm

@ Anon above me

If Iya Bas struggled to get a machine, does that make her more talented than a more privileged kid? Your argument is SO FLAWED. Try again.

And what does a 9-5 have to do with anything? A 9-5 is not for everybody. It’s an effin scam! In many countries today, it is being phased out esp. with the help of technology and innovation so PLEASE, let’s not hate on those that feel it’s not their thing. I mean, a human being like any of us woke up one morning and suggested 9-5s and the world nodded…

Iya Sala as you said is a TAILOR, not a designer. So also carry that red herring argument outta here.

No hard feelings.

96. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 at 11:53 pm

@joblessRETARDEDchildren..

inyama is all i can say to you…
    TWUEEE..i SPIT on any and everything that contributed to your sordis existence.

little razz child…keep laughing,me im enjoying myself chilling here,you are all there giving yourself angina over nada.

anna wintour ko,obele-chukwu-juju ni.ode,so we can know that you know fashion to abi??olodo oloju eja.

ti emi ba je eranko ,ki ni wa pe ara e?omo onidoti ton fi kpo mu ogi.
    cereal ke?na yam??

bring it on,english or yoruba i will smoke your crusty behind

and hun..believe moi,my day job will pay for anything you think you are about a million times over,i HAVE been truly blessed to be PAID serious cheddar to do what i LOVE.
    so don’t hate COW…moooo..moo..
    some of us can AFFORD to take time off to just CHILL.
    haa..life of the LOADED…hmmm..

is it pinshing you yet??
    silly child,come on wipe the ikun dripping from your flared nostril and go and tell iya muina to do ipako elede style for you to carry to school tomorrow.
    foolish children abusing their weekly internet privileges.

GET OUT..GO…

kisses..

fashion whore…

97. sex weekend

February 20, 2008 at 12:00 am

MUMU! WER DOES RICH KIDS COME INO SUM 1 SHOWING HER CLOTHES TO THE WORLD??

IF U R A POOR KID WHOS BUSINESS IS THAT? ABEG COMMENT AND GET THE HELL OF THE BLOG AND STOP WRITTING MUMU THINGS FOR US TO WASTE OUR TIME READING!

ODE OF THE BIGGEST ORDER!

98. Anonymous

February 20, 2008 at 12:10 am

y are assumptions being made?she never said she could sew…neither did she call herself a couturist…she is just starting out…give her a break…well done!

if she can combine her university work and her passion then she deserves a bit more credit and less negativity…we want nigeria to progress so let us start from sumwer by encouraginf thr youth of today!!

goodluck…

99. Anonymous

February 20, 2008 at 12:45 am

@FASHION WORE…odikwa very very nasty mouth.wahla,i have seen a yap to use this night on anybody dat annoys me.i like the way u twist humor into ur yaps.and anybody wat takes you seriously needs to take a chill pill.i am just lawling here.wahla,you are a crazy broad.

Marionne Ayonote

100. Anonymous

February 20, 2008 at 1:30 am

At anon 11 pm lol. am not poor infact am very richhhhhhhhhh lol.
    am just saying that iya sala went thru a lot so we should not just think they are useless.lol. abeg and dont call me mumu, my feelings are being hurt here lol.
    At FASHION WHORE i know who u are and i luv u jor. y did ur blog disappear. u make me laugh so hard.
    pple pls lets not start fighting here abeg. erryone is entitled to their own opinions.

101. Anonymous

February 20, 2008 at 2:41 am

This is for the designer and her photographer. I found the shoot rather sloppy. We do not have to see the photog and assistants in the mirror. There is an errant throw pillow and lone shoe on the floor in most pics.With the brown dress, with the shot taken from the back,the model should have been asked to take off her bra.I am guessinhg this is your first shoot. Better finishing next time.

102. Maryam

February 20, 2008 at 4:52 am

Design improves with maturity! She is only 20! all you people complaining should show us what you have come up with that is creative. And yes so maybe some of the designs look a little familiar but doing anything related to fashion was a taboo in nigeria until quite recently. It makes sense to break in softly. Give her time and she will take the risks. I don’t even know this girl but it’s easy to see she’s making an effort. That thing most people lack!

103. Anonymous

February 20, 2008 at 2:30 pm

the clothes are not bad but in all honesty i think these our upcoming designers just copy what the international designers do in our native fabics not much oruginality there if you ask me . as for bella naija keep up the good work so much originality on your part

104. misspumping

February 20, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Nice designs for an upcoming designer the least we can do is to encourage the lady.

105. Anonymous

February 20, 2008 at 9:00 pm

jokes!!

i’m in LOVEEEEEEEE with the whore!! (the fashion one i mean)… even if she has a lot of time on her hands.

no one has actually said toju’s stuff is horrible.. so y’all shud chill. it just duznt tickle some people’s fancy;)

anyways…. how does toju know the zara dress that she has ‘believe it or not’ never seen before. how does she know that the ‘back’ is different from her dress if she hasnt laid eyes on it?? or.. did the fashion whore email her the code of the dress to look up?? =O

am i a trouble-maker?;) lol

my fav line in 80% of the comments…. “you go girl!!” lol! who still uses that phrase?

but yeah… all said, you go girl!!! good job for ur first collection. ur young and beautiful.. the sky really is the limit!

106. Anonymous

February 21, 2008 at 12:55 pm

mehnn u guys need to chill!!! each to their own opinion…i think its good that she gets such feedback, this is how the fashion world is…brutal, harsh and opinionated..u will be criticised..no need to go on swearing..kai..kai….

107. Anonymous

February 21, 2008 at 6:51 pm

They are ways to disagree without being insulting. Not everyone has to like these designs but don’t go off saying stuff like she is copying or shouldn’t be called a designer or stuff. If all the haters think there’s nothing wrong with their comment, then why are you posting as anon? It ain’t anybody’s fault you have a degree from Nigeria and you live in America cleaning oyinbo’s bum. Its a choice you made, dont take out yor frustrations on a young girl making a start in life.
    Teju, I think your designs are cool

108. The poets voice ~~~

February 21, 2008 at 11:21 pm

hey bella naija! luv ur blog by the way..u r doing a really gud job here.keep it going girl!!
    neways i luv this nigerian designer, i think her styles are original and fantastic..
    do u know wat i’m shocked about is that one of the models is a friend of mine. i just can’t believe my eyes,well i’m happy for her..shes doin realli well.
    pls do check out my page..its drjemmy.blogspot.com. thanx

109. A to Z

February 21, 2008 at 11:35 pm

the comments might be more entertaining than the post itself. Even the last anon basically said “don’t insult people” while insulting people themselves…. bawhahahahaha. Nutcases!

110. Mona

February 22, 2008 at 11:53 am

serious battle going on..

i like her styles, very fancy :o)

xx

111. Anonymous

February 22, 2008 at 1:28 pm

i LOVE fashion whore..at least she has the guts to speak her mind and when corrected about something she got wrong she acecepted with no arguements…thats so HOT

people need to understand that the fact you do not like soemthings doesnt mean u r a hater. everyones taste differ. personally i was impressed by the first one only…the rest..not my cup of tea..but do your thing girl.

Also pple should stop going on about how we should encourage the youth by telling them what they are doing is fab..if you dont like it say it..criticism (constructive)should drive the youth to do better next time.

Heaven knows im SICK of ankara.

112. Anonymous

February 22, 2008 at 1:34 pm

The models are not size 0..you are right but why are all the models light skinned??

113. tatafo!!

February 22, 2008 at 3:41 pm

@ anon 12:34 pm, you just want to look for trouble where there is none sha…what has their complexion got to do with how well the clothes fit them?

114. AnyaPosh

February 23, 2008 at 2:09 am

Those outfits are superfly! What is the world coming to, damn I need to step my game up these ladies are looking really good!

115. Nnenna

February 27, 2008 at 1:57 am

Well done Toju dis is impressive for ur first attempt. Take d comments onboard (good or bad) and use them to your advantage, things can only get better.Will be joining d facebook group pronto.x

People pls focus on your own comments and d’nt turn dis into a battle field naija babes shaaa..lol

116. Anonymous

February 28, 2008 at 10:36 pm

hello love her designs

117. Anonymous

March 2, 2008 at 8:30 pm

im not sure its in any of us place to criticize her art. she has done something many have been trying tondo for years. who cares if she sew it or not. it came from her mind and thats all that matters. maybe if we stop putting down people there will be hope for our country were a lot of peoples talents have been oppressed by people that hate so much. good job toju!!

118. !!Estella!!

March 15, 2008 at 1:23 pm

From one designer to another, GOOD JOB TOJU!!

I CAN WEAR your designs! And to me, any designer who I can rock their outfit is good!

Keep it up gurl!! The biz comes with critisms and praises, but one thing I know is that Nigerian Fashion Designers will some day soon give European Designers a run for their money!!! 🙂

119. Anonymous

April 30, 2008 at 11:10 pm

Im a bit late to this party but :

I’d like to point out a few things, esp. @ anonymous 1.44 and 4.51 … her clothes are brilliant and we should be celebrating that fact as opposed to saying things like ‘everyone and their mallam’s daughter’ , it does take a lot to create a collection from conception to execution, so saying things like that are not just derogatory , they are also demeaning…

Secondly, the fact that she didn’t make the clothes herself is largely irrelvant, first of all because, no designer including the Karl Lagerfelds and Tom Fords, SEW the clothes themselves, and as for formal training, the designers who CHANGED the face of fashion and brought us what we know today more or less did NOT receive formal training, ‘fashion school’ is a fairly recent development. Elsa Schiaparelli, Cristobal Balenciaga, Christian Dior and Coco Chanel didn’t go to fashion school, does that make them any less brilliant? Matter of fact Coco didn’t learn to sew for a long ass time!
    That said, Amaka Osakwe is phenomenal!

So basically, Toju keep doing your thing!

120. ferdinard olufemi

July 15, 2011 at 6:17 pm

this is fabulous for a lawyer with an LLM it just go to prove that you are learned ha ha ha i know you dnt like that trust me i love your designs.