News

WEEKEND LUV

BellaNaija.com

Model of the Week: Yardanos – Ethiopia – Elite Models New York

Hey Everyone!!!!
How was your week? Mine has actually been good so far! Far less stressful than last week…Thanks for the concern, yes I’m feeling better. You know how it is when so much is going on…sometimes you just need to take a deep breath and relax.
Soooo what are you up to this weekend?
I just bought this gold dress and I am seriously itching to wear it out…so we’ll see.
Next week is the week of lurveeee, its Val’s Week….lol…look at u thinking its just Val’s Day on the 14th….nope….u have to celebrate it for a full week….
So all the dudes, don’t wait till the 14th, spoil your ladies all week long…
Ladies, just sit back and relax
Lol…as if!
All these stingy dudes always claiming that they don’t ‘celebrate’ vals day….who asked them? What is important is that I ‘celebrate’ it…by receiving gifts!
All of them will just start disappearing like flies….a guy who has been talking to you for some months will suddenly disappear on a ‘business trip’ lol
Just like magic…isn’t it?
What am I doing?
Well, I am actually going on a weeklong romantic getaway to…
Ummm
Nope
Perhaps, I need to ‘rephrase’ that
I am actually going on a weeklong business trip to…
A valentine’s week peck for whoever accurately guesses my destination

Wedding Websites
Atiku & Gila
Chioma & Akolisa
Wedding Photos updated on both
Congrats to both couples, may God bless their unions
We respect your privacy, if you want your link removed email: [email protected]

Blogs
Naija Fashion Freak
I love love love this blog!
I have been willing to shout it out for a long time but it kept skipping my mind for some reason! Please drop by there and show some luv by leaving a comment.

Isi’s Playground
Just to illustrate how out of touch I am with blogging. I cannot believe this blog has been around since last year and I never stopped it! I luv it!!!! Please read through the archives….Tres fab!

Clicks
Actress Monalisa Chinda is pregnant with her first child. Monalisa is one of my fav Nigerian actresses. Congrats to her and her husband, music executive, Victor Olusegun Dejo Richards. Click the images below for a recent interview.

2Face has reportedly recorded a song with R. Kelly. Click HERE for story

Musician Soul E & his wife Ure have reportedly started a church. Click HERE for the story

International African celebs out & about –
(1) Liya @ NY Fashion Week (2) Djimon & Kimora @ Madonna & Gucci’s Malawi event at the UN in NY
Apparently they might be engaged…I luv Kiki but I smell a publicity stunt….I can bet that she will be pregnant before the end of the year though…lol

Here are some photos from the African Charity Ball which took place in New York some weeks ago.
I heard the fashion show featuring designs from up and coming Nigerian designers Gloss & TOSA collection was impressive. Other designers featured include Citizens, Ras Kweku & Biribelle Clothing. Click the flicks below to check on it. For the site, click HERE

Show some support to the new generation – Imperial College AfroCaribbean Society – Afrogala show, PULSE – 9th of Feb 08 in London. Click HERE for more information

Had to just add some more goss for you guys, Victoria’s Secret model, Selita Ebanks has just announced that she is dating Nigerian NFLer, New York Giants football star Osi Umenyiora. Osi was born in the UK to Nigerian parents, he lived in Nigeria before moving to the US. He currently is on a $41 million contract with the Giants. As you can tell, Selita’s Val’s week is set 🙂

Hits
Rooftop MCs feat Cobhams – Lagimo
I love this song! Let me say it again! I LOVE this song!
I have sooo much respect for Rooftop MCs and I cannot even begin to express the respect I have for Cobhams.
His talent is soooo immense. It’s untouchable!
LOL…U might think I am being a tad bit overly effusive but just listen out for Cobhams verse at the end of this song. The message is so strong.
Loves it!

MP – No Dull Yourself
This song is building momentum in the clubs at the moment.
From former 419 squad member, MP…
Hot track…Click HERE for the vid

Vid
Ikechukwu Ft. Don Jazzy & D’Banj – Wind Am Well

I love this song!!! I guess Ikechukwu has decided to go more commercial and I’m feeling the result. The video is cool as well….Its surprising to see Don Jazzy ‘rapping’ or is it talking on the track. D’Banj kills it as usual!
Shoutout to Naijagal cause I spotted the youtube upload first on her blog

Banky W – Ebute Metta
I’m feeling the vid, DJ Tee doing his thing as usual. I luv Banky W’s version of this song as well but why was Konga’s distracting me with his crazy moves in the video. They should have edited him out LOL…
Anyway, Banky’s new album Mr Capable is out soon. Y’all should go and pre-order your copies HERE. All pre-ordered copies will be personally autographed by Mr. W himself.

Question?
Please please please can someone please explain to me why guys and girls in LAGOS have started rocking the desert scarf in LAGOS…as in to the club, out for lunch, to the BEACH?!
I luv the look but in hot & humid Lagos? Well maybe I shouldnt be surprised since people rock winter boots in Lagos but still…
As my mum would say ‘haba mallam’ lol
That said, if you need a cheap vals day gift, you can buy one so ur luv can be looking uber trendy.
Only in Naij!
Another vals peck for whoever can give me an answer I can wrap my head around….!

That’s it!
Enjoy your weekend!!
Ciao

Living & Celebrating the African Dream! Catch all the Scoop on www.bellanaija.comFollow us Twitter: @bellanaija Facebook: @bellanaija Instagram: @bellanaijaonline

1. Anonymous

February 8, 2008 at 1:38 am

Hey Bella!! Haven’t even read todays blog yet but just excited to be first:) Seems to be the thing right…being first. Great Job by the way! Your blog is impressive and entertaining.

2. Ladybrille

February 8, 2008 at 1:52 am

Hey B. Just let be second first. I go come talk proper proper. How u dey?

3. CATWALQ a.k.a LAGBA-JESS

February 8, 2008 at 2:14 am

did I actually make top three?

4. mystoriesmytestimonies

February 8, 2008 at 2:33 am

5th..
    enjoy ur weekend…

5. Pink-satin

February 8, 2008 at 2:47 am

i made top 10 !yay

6. esa mo

February 8, 2008 at 2:53 am

peeps in 9ja just like to copy fashion blindly!they see something yankee and jand people r wearinig..they too will carry go…even tho the item is not suitable for their weather!!!its ignorance and stupidity!!well can u really call it ignorance?cos when i was home this xmas i saw some guy that lives in canada(he was home too) and he was wearing a SWEATER!!!!!!in that hot sun!!!and he was now sweating and fanning himself with paper..am like who send you message..u should know better!!

7. Anonymous

February 8, 2008 at 3:13 am

the girl in the yellow scarf looks like Bianca form last season’s ANTM..is she the one

8. uNWrItten*

February 8, 2008 at 3:41 am

ok so i am new to this whole blogging thing (NO i have not been living under a rock..lol), i have to say you are very entertaining..love reading your stuff.
    In regards to the scarf thing in naija, it is pretty much the same in yankee, every babe now has a pashmina even when the sun is shining..i guess the things we do for fashion abi?..lol
    Takre 🙂

9. Paris

February 8, 2008 at 4:34 am

4 some reason i think that mona lisa’s interview is a hoax. it just sounds too inappropriate and i want 2 believe she’s way smarter than that. if she did say all those things then she needs major brush up on her interviewing skills. im just saying….

congrats 2 her tho.
    bella ur just 2 funy with that val’s day gist. funny but true tho…

10. paris

February 8, 2008 at 4:58 am

ok just checked d wedding sites. chioma and akaolisa’s site is just beautiful. oh and they killed me with the psquare track. i always knew that song was a perfect love song.lol

11. nosa101

February 8, 2008 at 5:32 am

LMAO…this is up there with sweatshirts and knee high boots…..

12. Anonymous

February 8, 2008 at 5:40 am

The D’banj Ike and Don Jazzy video objectifies women…they’re trying to copy yankee meanwhile in the same people they’re tryna copy are getting wide criticism.

There could be a better way to represent us other than skanks or something.

The scarf issue is a sign of lemming syndrome in 9ja. People cant create their own style or follow the right trends. I could as well wear a bikini this winter…or a fur coat to the beach.

13. Anonymous

February 8, 2008 at 9:41 am

hey bella!! good u r back. I missed u men!! Anyway kinda lookin 4ward to vals week but i think its gonna be kinda boring 4 me this year.

Anyway, i’m still gettin my head around Djimon and kimora’s thingy hope they work out. If it doesn’t i’ll take him thanks, cuz i luv djimon!!

That rooftop MC’S song is killing it men i luv it “Ori mi wu o elagi mo”.
    Cobhams, talented or what. I watched him on moments with mo very intelligent man.

That desert scarf trend is, well, kinda weird, can’t see the point really but hey whatever rocks their boat.

Take care bella and have an amazing weekend and an even better vals week. mwaaaaaaaaah!!

kemi (naija4life)

14. Olu

February 8, 2008 at 9:53 am

Top 15 yayyyyyyyyy

15. Olu

February 8, 2008 at 10:00 am

Abeg wot hapnd btw Monalisa and Rita??
    I luv Rooftop MCs, they have taken christian music to anoda level..
    Wind am well, i luv the beats..the video try small..
    I was watchin an interview with Djimon and Kimora Lee, she was suggestin that they might get married.
    The girl in the yellow scarf is actually Bianca from ANTM, she has grown her hair out.
    As per the wedding websites..AWWWWWWW!!
    Happy vals in advance Bella, Love ya even tho I dont know ya.
    God Bless

16. damijay

February 8, 2008 at 10:49 am

Yay Bella!! ThankYOu!
    Loving the post 🙂

Hey People Today is the last day you can get tickets for Pulse show so hurry up before they are sold out!

Get Ready For Some Culture Shock!!!!!

Nzinga Professional African dancers…..EQHO…..IC Gospel Choir…..Fashion shows….plays….poetry and much more….

And dont forget FOOD!!! (N.B. food to be served from 6:15pm PROMPT!)

Afterparty location TBC!

Venue: Imperial College London Great Hall
    Nearest station: South Kensington

For tickets contact:
    Amaka: 07932039395
    Dami J: 07984900822
    Dami S: 07979850157
    Ohai: 07830203265
    Vese: 07506048770
    or

Visit : http://www.imperialcollegeunion.org/afro-carribean-11/category.html
    N.B. if that does not work, go on to union.ic.ac.uk then go to the ACS under clubs and society and they click on shop and there it will be.

If you buy online, just print out a copy of the confirmation and we’ll also have your name at the door!!!

PULSE ’08……You Need To Be There!!!! 😉

ICACS Committee

17. Mona

February 8, 2008 at 10:49 am

Bella Naija, lol at the desert scarf! LOL Thanks for all the info. Have a good weekend

18. ink

February 8, 2008 at 11:22 am

the desert scarf, (traditionally) is meant to rep where you’re from. so if you come from palestine, yours wil have a particular pattern etc.

since we are always reppin’ naija nowadays, the desert scarf can be green and white!

yes, just another way to show naija pride!!

lol…where is my peck??!

19. Unbiased

February 8, 2008 at 11:48 am

Bella you are a bad girl!!
    Let me say it again. You are a bad girl!!!
    How now? Since i don dey find lagimo. lol!! Off the hook.
    This your val day getaway, i hope you aint along girl. Get you groove on. Dont be a slakker like us.
    And post a pic of that gold dress.

20. Anonymous

February 8, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Chioma and Akolisa’s wedding looked beautifull. Their cake is the best cake I’ve seen in a Nigerian wedding in a long time! Big and thick…just the way I like it!

Bless both couples!

21. Areagal

February 8, 2008 at 1:38 pm

BELLIZTO! Very nice weekend wrap up girl- soo feeling the weekend love
    .Kimora and Djimon I heard its the real real thing from one of our gay naija bros who has the connect- they say he’s a no nonsense african broda & she loves that so i am happy for them now Russel can be more “How u doin” on Prince street.
    DBANJ- BELLLLLLLA!!!! The man in our dreams, mine and yours.. D man who gets me very moist KAI!!- and can ge it all DAMN DAYYY!! sorry for those at office. i just cant contain excitement!! LOL
    Ikechukwu is hellllllla cute too yummmmmm!!
    Banky- looooooove d video- very nice!!

EHEN This desert scarf craze in Naija these holidays was toooooo much O! Even our beloved Mr MENSAH is a big offender. I saw him at Volar with it and some other joint- ahn ahn its too much. Uniform is not cool people not cool.

22. chioma

February 8, 2008 at 2:04 pm

I love the song lagi mo..what does it mean though? olori mi wu e lagi mo..

23. eny

February 8, 2008 at 2:38 pm

lol, naija people no go kill me o. Na soso follow follow!!!!!! Oh well, can we rily blame them? They also want to feel among so whareva.

@chioma: it means “my head is swelling o(like when u’r blushing/excited), hit it with a stick” lol. Funny yoruba sturvs!!!!!!!!. It reminds me of our maid when i was younger, she always sang it with a funy yoruba ascent.

the vid made me fall in love with ikechukwu(lol, the name doesnt rily suit him tho). Pls can some1 hook me up, am crushing hard!!!!! lawwl.

24. chioma

February 8, 2008 at 2:46 pm

lol..i am sure i got the words of the song wrong..anyway i be omo ibo.

25. b

February 8, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Chioma you got the words right.
    Basically what the song is talking about is when I get a ‘big head’ figuratively as per when they become proud because of success, God should humble them by ‘hitting it with a stick’

26. Anonymous

February 8, 2008 at 4:25 pm

@ olu Bianca grown her hair out ke?that is a WEAVE man!

27. 1stpet2v9

February 8, 2008 at 5:02 pm

i love Lagimo! its different!

28. coolgal

February 8, 2008 at 6:01 pm

hey Miss B. Thanks for the shout out sister:) lovely post as always, how is your day going? Stay blessed

29. kpakpando

February 8, 2008 at 6:14 pm

If Selita is dating Osi, it’s for her career, she’s a publicity whore trying to get into acting, besides he has a damn near live in.

Monalisa Chinda sounds like a reformed ho, talking about I’m born again, marriage is everyone’s goal, I don’t expose my body. Abeg mgbeke go and sit down somewhere. Hisssss useless interview.

TuFace & RKelly, what did those two sexual deviants go and record now.

I’m glad you’re feeling better bella

30. Anonymous

February 8, 2008 at 7:03 pm

is selita really dating him?lol her val week is set!wats wit u n vals!!!n i am sure she is dating him just for her career!we really dont know but it seems that way!model dating NFL star n all that!

i really dont get the whole lagimo song!maybe wit time i will like it!

31. Anonymous

February 8, 2008 at 7:05 pm

Bella, big chick, what’s up? Well….. on the international scene –

R Kelly & Tubaba….. Naija music industry is definitely getting the recognition that it deserves. The next collaboration could be with Mary J Blige. Who knows??? Anything’s possible.

Kimora Lee Simmons & Djimon….. I hope that everything works out for them so that the cash money would come down to Africa. *Wink* *Smile* ‘Cause that… chick! She is loaded. Talk about dollar bills, ya’ll.

Selita Ebanks & Osi Umenyiorah….. She just came out of a relationship with Nick Cannon. (No judgements, whatsoever.) She is hot! And i hope it is for real.

On the Naija scene…… The wedding pictures are nice. Happy married life to the couples.

Naija fashion….. is always interesting.

Deola Sagaoe….. not surprised as she is unique. More to her as she reaches greater heights.

Bella, mon cherie, (no lesbo) – have a great wk’nd.

32. Anonymous

February 8, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Oh No!!! Selita took my man!!! I’m crushed!
    Meanwhile, GO GIANTS!!!!!!!! that superbowl win was craizeeeee!!

33. truetalk

February 8, 2008 at 7:11 pm

the person that interviewed Mona lisa is a useless twat!see the way he was asking her questions in an accusatory tone!and see the stupid questions “what magic did u perform to get a husband” what the fuck does that mean!its her fault for even answering him!irresponsible journalism..i wonder if most of these journalists go to school anymore..they publish and report stupid things without finding out facts, and then ask you stupid question in interviews!gosh!!

34. Anonymous

February 8, 2008 at 8:05 pm

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cant believe people r rocking dat scarf in naija.. JEEEEZ!! DANG

35. naijafashionfreak

February 8, 2008 at 10:47 pm

thanks bella for showing some luv…

36. tintinbebe

February 8, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Scarf…Naija…guys too…impossible..lol

37. shopliquorice

February 8, 2008 at 11:17 pm

re: shemagh scarf

HAHAHA! oh boy. there are lighter, less bulky options for this scarf trend. maybe we’ll do a post on that soon. in any case, we’ll have one or two scarves (shemagh as well, maybe!) up for sale soon…

*shameless plug*

great blog! and thanks for featuring naijafashionfreak. hadn’t heard about her and we’re liking what we see!

38. truth

February 9, 2008 at 6:55 am

Monalisa’s interviewer asked some pretty stupid questions, or was it the way she phrased them? The interviewer needs some prime time coaching.

Lots of detail on the post(good thing)…..will read the rest later.

39. Anonymous

February 9, 2008 at 1:50 pm

hmm.. bella wat you said bout vals day .. na true talk.. all these cheap skates .. who claim dey dont celebrate vals day.hmm.. lol na so…

40. Banky W

February 9, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Thanx verrrrrrry much for helping me get the word out. U rock. I appreciate it :o)~

41. Jaycee

February 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Lollll @ dudes disappearing like flies next week…….LAWL!!!!

The ones that have been chatting you up will suddenly go away on business trips…lolll

Oooooohhhh Selita has taken our Osi away (awww, yup…vals day is def set…somewhere within the 41 billion dollar budget).

Desert scarves in Lagos? Loll…u know ur people naw!!!

42. Jaycee

February 9, 2008 at 10:59 pm

*Sigh* Chioma and Akolisa’s wedding website is one of the best I’ve ever seen….

Kai, I loved the thick cake…..yummy! May God bless their union.

43. Ifeomaadiagwuagwu

February 10, 2008 at 10:27 am

It could be that Monalisa’s interviewer is partial to Rita Dominic.

Could be …. maybe….

44. Anonymous

February 10, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Bella, hi. Anytime you wish to have a scoop on the international celebrities, then you can add this site http://www.bossip.com to your list.

Thanks, Bella.

45. Bolanle

February 10, 2008 at 12:52 pm

hey bella, loving your blog as usual.
    Pls if anyone hasn’t gone to take a peek at Chioma and Akilo’s wedding webbie, u need to ‘cos this is by far the best wedding pics i’ve ever seen from naij (no direspect to the other sites). Plus d bride and groom are sooooo gorge. Thanks for the link!

46. Afrobabe

February 10, 2008 at 6:43 pm

lol @ stingy guys not celebrating vals…yes oh.. the important thing is I DO!!!

47. Vickii

February 10, 2008 at 11:06 pm

Hey, I’ve been absent for a while but it’s good to be back … fab update as usual! I’m loving the pink dress in the fashion show pics! Ooops, I just heard some horrible stuff about that Osi guy … not sure if he’s such a great catch!

Have a lovely week!

48. Ladybrille

February 11, 2008 at 8:11 am

Chioma & Akolisa’s wedding site is brilliant! Akolisa has a good taste. The woman is FOINE! I also like Chioma’s mom’s style sense. She was wearing sari’s way back in the days. Very cool!

Ditto on the comments for Mona Lisa. The interviewer is bad. Not much substance . . . I’f like to think she’s more interesting than portrayed. At the very least, they could have gotten intelligently into her career.

49. kpakpando

February 11, 2008 at 6:09 pm

@vikii,

RE: Osi
    I hope you’re not referring to the golden and brown shower allegations that some pro made. He’s likes sex and all, but I’d be beyond surprised if the required excrement to get off. What is true though is that he just had a baby with some long term chick he’s been dealing with, that’s why this Selita story is extremely laughable, I wonder which of their publicists set it up.

50. princesa

February 11, 2008 at 6:47 pm

[email protected] disappearing like flies before val’s day.

Stingos..they also do the disappering act before xmas and the babe’s birthday.
    …Resurfacing later of cos!

51. Joy

February 11, 2008 at 7:09 pm

Hi Bella! Nice post as usual. I read this post on the day you put it up and I thought I’ll be right back to comment then, but I come back and there have been 50 odd comments. Oh well..

I thought I was seeing things when I read that Monalisa’s interview. What kind of stupid questions were those? The interviewer deserves to be sent back to school to study proper journalism, and whatever newspaper or magazine that published the interview has no class. That interview was total crap. For goodness sake, how can you ask someone who is married and taking time off to have her baby “if she is dependant on her husband”? I mean “Helloooo!”
    And what kind of dumb questions are those: “Are you sure your husband didn’t marry you because you are a star?” Or “So you didn’t have to compromise your principles to get roles?”
    Abeg! If I was the one, I would have told the interviewer to go and learn how to do his or her job properly. **Hiss**

52. Chic

February 12, 2008 at 1:57 am

Hello Bella, its my first time leaving a message on ur blog but i lovvv reading ur blog. When i start mine, ull be my inspiration for sure…lol

53. Uzo

February 12, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Is this the person so called – Konga i mean…Interesting…

Selita…wasnt she engaged to nick cannon a few weeks back or m i mixing them up?

Banky is too hot and looking forward to the new cd..please send via TD

How r u bella?

54. ababoypart2

February 14, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Thanks

55. Naija chic

February 14, 2008 at 2:38 pm

They ahve disappeared Oh!!!!!!(sobs and lol).

To think we were good till 1am wednesday morning?????

Maybe sumthing will still happen, maybe am too impatient?

Nah, they av disappeared like flies..

56. Isi

February 14, 2008 at 7:03 pm

ah! bella! thanks o! its being ages i’ve been here since u changed ur template. great stuff u’ve done.
    well done and lots of love!

57. Isi

February 14, 2008 at 7:11 pm

…and yes, happy valentine. lol!!!

58. africa entertainment and sports

February 15, 2008 at 3:10 am

Val week keh!You want kill us? So glad u are up and running.

59. Anonymous

February 15, 2008 at 4:40 am

60. THE HOUSE OF STYLE

February 15, 2008 at 11:46 am

love your blog.great post,i enjoyed reading the Monalisa interview as shes one of my fave Nollywood actresses.
    stay blessed.x
    Marian

61. Yinka

October 9, 2008 at 11:47 am

Lagimo is SIIKKK!!! That’s what modern Nigerian/Yoruba music should be like – original, thought provoking, using parts of the culture like the language and rhythms, yet with a reflection of the current high standards of music production.

And make no mistake, the beat is off the CHIZZAIN!!