News

My Style: Judith Afonta

Ijeoma Balogun

It’s your regular dose of  My Style!!!!experiment-vintage2

When your entry is approved, you will be required to send in more pictures and personal commentaries on your style or that of your friend as the case may be!

Keep the mails coming; Lets remember that  this feature is about appreciating an individulas expression through clothing!

Bellanaija reader Judith Afonta  marvels at her relatively unpredictable style  and her eargness to always experiment with fashion!

WHY DO YOU LOVE YOUR STYLE?

I love my style because it has no definition. I am not restricted to a certain type of attire or “look” if you will. It is very free will, playful and I think a tad risky. My style is very unpredictable. I sometimes shock myself with my choice of clothing. I often tend to ‘style” according to my mood.

Fashion to me is a constant experiment, the more you try new things, the more you find out what works and what doesn’t. I’d hate to look at my pictures and think blah. Simply put, my style is that of complexity, vibrance, and a touch of old school.

HOW DOES IT EXPRESS YOUR PERSONALITY?

Every one has a Jekyll and Hyde side to them and I think my style is no exception. Some days I may opt for the cliché good girl look and other days, I just may be your perfect villain.

brown-and-black2black-with-blue-flats-and-necklace

HAIR

I tend to go for a short do and it’s pretty basic.
For my real hair, it is either usually tightly curled to help give me an old school look or straightened and clipped up at the back to give this faux edgy hair cut look.

hair-curled

hair-straightened-clipped-d-back

I also like to wear weaves for the same reason many do. It is a lot easier to maintain and style. I usually go for shoulder length hair because I can’t do long weaves. I am a small lady and I feel as though the 14inches & above weave swallows me lol. I may give the long do a try soon though.
I do not use a particular brand of weave per se but I’m guessing Indi Remy is a very good one judging from previous “my styles” and commentaries on hair blogs.

daylook-dress
Braids are also the way to go but I usually wait till I am in Nigeria to braid my hair because it’s cheaper and a lot FASTER.

hair-when-its-braided

MAKE UP:

My make-up is highly dependent on my outfit. During the day, I usually opt for minimal or no make up. Vaseline on the lips is a must. I think it is the best lip moisturizer. Then I coat it with my cherry chap-stick before the fancy Lip gloss…I like the Victoria secret brands. After taking care of my lips (very vital) lol I may dab on a little bronzer or blush stick. I like cream blushes because they give my cheek bones this glow.
However there have been days where I put on just the right amount of eye make-up to accentuate my outfit.

makeupday

makeup-for-a-day-look

At night, I tend to either rock a smoky eye with nude lipstick OR a very subtle eye makeup with very bright lipstick (Dark red, red, or pink). The key to getting a smoky eye look is to wear two different mascaras and dark eye shadow. Check Kim Kardashian’s site here  for wonderful make-up tips.

make-upnight

make-upsmoky-eye

Make-up products you’ll find in my makeup box are:
L’oreal
Cover girl
Milani
Victoria Secret
Sephora.
Jordana

WARDROBE/STYLE STAPLES:

Hot pair of shoes, because it brings life to a dead outfit.

staple-shoe2

shoe3

staple-hot-shoes

For shoes, I shop around A LOT.
Ross
Bakers
Victoria Secret
Wet Seal
Almost every shoe store there is…..

Men’s watches for easy take on jewelry.

mens-watch

Different style stockings for short wears.

hair-tightly-curled

I live in Los Angeles where sunglasses are a necessity. I like really big sunglasses because they help protect half of my face from the sun. I think Forever 21 carries a nice selection of them, I tend to shop around though.
sun-shades2

DARE TO WEAR WHITE??

My favorite outfit colours are black, brown and purple but there are days when I dare to wear white. When I do, I always have to add a little black to it. Be it my shoes, tights, belts, or even shorts.

dare-to-wear-white3dare-to-wear-white2dare-to-wear-white

DAY LOOK

When the weather permits, I love to wear dresses for ventilation…very necessary!
Some days I wear shorts with a loose top or skirt. I basically follow whatever direction my mood leads.

daytime-dress day-look-shorts-and-loose-top

NIGHT LOOK

My fashion faux pas’ moments and experiments tend to occur at night because I have more time to fool around. I usually go for a basic black look, a brown and black, or a purple dress….depending on the event.
For a basic black, I wear black head to toe and then I tend to go for a bright colored shoe, purse or nail polish to add sparkle.

black-with-red-pumpsbasic-black2black-with-a-pink-purse

Brown and black when done right is the perfect combo for me. They tend to go together to give an edgy yet subtle look.

brown-and-black

And as for purple dresses, I just like purple dresses and that’s about as far as I can explain based on that !!!!!

purple-dresspurple-dress2

A PAIR OF JEANS AND A TOP

I often like to say “when in doubt go for a pair of jeans and a cute top.” You can never go wrong! I rock it either as a day look or as night look. It is also very comfy!!

jean-and-a-topjean-a-topcomfy

EXPERIMENTAL PHASE

I am currently at a stage where I am beginning to flirt with different colours to see what other colours suit me. I am starting to lean towards the colour blue.
Colour clashing seems to be very “me” at the moment .
Vintage type wear & Old Hollywood glam was something I flirted with a bit on a recent trip to Vegas. And I actually liked it. Hey! Where else to exhibit spontaneity but Vegas?
A bright head band is also a do. It can be a perfect accessory.

black-with-an-orange-purseexperiment-phase-old-hollywoodexperimentation-phasetried-color-bluemakeup-subtle-eyes-and-bright-lips

In conclusion, I like to think of my style as an ongoing individual experiment. You win some, you lose some!!!

1. cassie

March 3, 2009 at 5:47 pm

nah babes am not feeling it…. i just fink ur style is just normal day wear … nuin unique… but hey i could be wrong…. honesty is the best i can do… but koolios for trying

2. ginger

March 3, 2009 at 5:55 pm

omg what a hater??!! She says that her style is her and has “no definition”. she said nutting about it being “unique” and she’s not trying to impress anyone!! i LOVE the attitude u have with every look and how u put ur flaws and ur perfections up there!!

na true DIVA be this o!!!

keep doing “YOU”!

3. luomo

March 3, 2009 at 6:37 pm

@ ginger why are your crying!cassie’s comment wasnt in anyway hateful

my own opinion-I do not like her outfits!but that is jsut what i feel…homegirl feels good in them and its her style!

4. Kpakpando

March 3, 2009 at 7:16 pm

I think Judith needs to smile more often… I like those shoes and her taste in men (now that’s a yummy accessory!)

5. nnenna

March 3, 2009 at 7:38 pm

she’s trendy, not stylish…stylish is being different in a way that only reflects you, a way of wearing that dress form zara that everyone has but pull it off like it were made for you…
    she looks like every other chick, so bella, please bring us flava, someone with a passion for brogues, a thing for bright coloured beaded dresses, some gypsy looking lady, some dreadlocked babe with rastararian flava, whatever, not some babe’s old holiday pics summed up…oops…said too much

• Mr Dapper

August 11, 2011 at 3:45 am

haha way to go bella … she is bland but I admire her courage to send in these pics and call them fashionable

6. Eva

March 3, 2009 at 7:53 pm

second it….

7. Eva

March 3, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Like Coco Chanel says….’when leaving the house, remove one accessory’….so some of the outfits were ok…but I think Judith is a victim of over-accessorizing…..I understand she does not want to look normal…but then you do not want to let people know that you put too much effort in dressing up….style should be effortless.

8. GeekGirl

March 3, 2009 at 8:25 pm

Style is what you are …what you wear and how you wear it!even if it is boring it is your style!even if it is trendy stuff you go for thats your style..

people think style means edgy…style does not mean you have to dress like you ripped denrele edun’s clothes off him or you attacked teyana taylor or rihanna closet… or you buy vintage stuff…your style is a reflection of who you are and how you dress
    so its suffice to say that the judith isnt all that edgy… but stylish yeah.her style is trendy… in that she wears mainstream outfits..everyone has their own style…her style is not my own cup of tea but it suits her just fine

9. Dele G

March 3, 2009 at 9:28 pm

She’s hot. Her style is super fab! Go Judith. Damn, naija people can hate!

10. istidele

March 3, 2009 at 9:53 pm

regular high street babe

11. hola hola

March 4, 2009 at 12:06 am

she is hot and very stylish. not what u see everyday very unique. i wont hate but give u props, bravo.

12. randommer

March 4, 2009 at 12:58 am

oh please can someone beg wendi okemini of T.W.O to submit herself for consideration or even the Craven girls. The randomness of this post is too much now.

13. spookycheese

March 4, 2009 at 3:30 am

i 2nd that…

14. Candysour

March 4, 2009 at 3:47 am

Free ad for your friends or what?what cheap publicity…
    seen the TWO whatever and NOTHING sets em apart from your “every-one nd they mama” wanna be a designer crew.gimme a f*kng break…
    ANYONE who is bold enough to submit themselves for the style section and is approved DESERVES to be given a chance,even if THEIR STYLE does not sit 2 well with you.
    dont come up here “stylishly” begging for some people to be included..im sure your precious cravens and wat nots are old enough to submit their “application”,if they are so bold to face the public..
    shewwww

JUDITH..ur style isnt my thing,but guess what?
    its YOUR style,no matter how random some choose to see it…and you wear it well.

15. cassie

March 4, 2009 at 11:29 am

hmmm since when dis persobal opinion on something become an “attack”.i aint saying shes blah blah blah.. am just saying wat i can see and that is the FACt that her style is GOOD but not to the standard of being selected to be on this page…. YOU DIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

16. Ireayo

March 4, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Please candysour..bittersweet swagger jacker….get with your own niche…do your own thing and stop hating on T.W.O…..someone put their own comment and you must hate…get to know about marketing….gucci, versace etc etc baby phat, phat farm, house of deron it’s all about who you know…word of mouth…your friends like your style..then the world follows…randommer abeg share what you want see..wendi from T.W.O abeg your swagger is tight. i look forward to seeing that african, pete doherty anyhow…you put it together swagger…don’t watch the haters live your life abeg….mwah

17. keep the peace

March 4, 2009 at 2:37 pm

*blank stare*…Candy sour… you are a trouble maker, and u need to pipe down, i.e chill…

pretty pretty girl Judith…. 🙂

18. randommer

March 4, 2009 at 10:38 pm

lmao thank you o.

See me see trouble – the only reason I mentioned T.W.O was that some people might know T.W.O. but not ms. Okemini. This is about people not labels, after all T.W.O is three girls.

as for candysour dont stress yourself, even if na cheap publicity, they have still received it, have they not? and your vitriol will only make people more interested. no wonder your name is candysour lol.

as for Judith, she herself said her style has no definition thus I called it random

19. Qed

March 5, 2009 at 2:53 am

dont get the style…is it the tights or short clothing not that either is bad but what special about it?

20. appy

March 5, 2009 at 2:56 am

it doesnt have to be special!your style is your style!

21. appy

March 5, 2009 at 3:03 am

candy sour was a lil bit off! but then randommer you weren’t exactly kind!your comment implied that judith wasnt up to public standard and that the other girls you mentioned were more worthy to be on bella naija! tho you probably said it without malicious intents ..little comments like this will make the girl feel bad now

men i applaud people who send in their pictures!i could never do it…cos girls here will just tear someborri to pieces!

22. Nma

March 5, 2009 at 7:18 am

men, i applaud these girls that keep sending in their pics bcos some of u r brutal sha..lol..if y’all continue this way, there will be no more styles for y’all to criticize.

23. randommer

March 5, 2009 at 4:00 pm

@appy, i didn’t meant to be mean or anything. I haven’t liked any of the other ‘my style’entries but at least they were cohesive … this one was random and that was my problem. I mean if a designer just sent all this down the runway, would you be able to say you knew what he/she was going for??? I don’t mean to say shes not up for public consumption. at all

24. Eva

March 5, 2009 at 4:24 pm

u mean the Caven girls? Or?

25. tafia

March 5, 2009 at 10:12 pm

For the trouble makers:Did you carefully read what Ijeoma’s column style is abt? Didnt think so. Here is what she said again:

“If you will like to be featured on this page, simply send two pictures of yourself or that of a friend depicting a typical Day and Night Look with a short summary of your style to my mail box: [email protected]

Keep the mails coming; Lets remember that this feature is about appreciating an individulas expression through clothing!

Bellanaija reader Judith Afonta marvels at her relatively unpredictable style and her eargness to always experiment with fashion!”

So if the girl Judith says world here is my style, why hate? If you think u an swagger more than her, send ur own or shut up. Must u say smth hurtful?

Bella, y’all need to be screening the crap people post here.

26. Candysour

March 5, 2009 at 11:17 pm

hating?
    since when did offering my opinion translate to hating?
    typical of people,once you differ from what they believe in they weakly tag it as hating…
    that HAS to be the most overused word around..

phat farm?baby phat?house of deRON?
    WHO wears that shit?
    haaa..now im able to sum up your taste in like the five seconds it tool me to read and digest your trash..
    naijas sha..it ALWAYS has to be about versace and gucci..
    you talk about marketing?
    i’d handle the business round your raggedy behind in two lifetimes..

Your friends like your style
    then the WORLD follows..
    ha ha..
    then WHAT sets it apart if everyone is been a sheep and following a certain style…??
    THAT’S FASHION LITTLE GIRL..NOT STYLE..
    YOU CREATE YOUR OWN STYLE…
    FASHION IS FOR THE MASSES..

SO i’ll step back and watch people like you hunt for whose “style” to SWAGGER-JACK…and then tell the world you saw it on your friend and admired it…ishhh

telling me to get to know about marketing…i need to scream out in laughter AGAIN..i don’t know TWO personally and dont give a hooting fuck about them..YET i still maintain..i have seen better…aint nothing fantastic about them..
    i AM allowed NOT to like “fashion designers” .
    or MUST i like every body who churns out clothes and sells??

AND ITS CANDYSOUR
    get it right…

27. Shara

March 6, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Um, it doesn’t have to be cohesive….she’s not putting on a fashion show but rather, she’s just displaying some of the things that reflect her style. What does cohesiveness have to do with it?? Isn’t the point of this page to actually show the different things that comprise one’s style? What would be the point in showing only one side of your style and not the other?! Hater!

28. Qed

March 7, 2009 at 2:51 pm

emm…i guess you may be right, but imagin if we wanted to see everyday styles; we’ve got uni and facebook for dat

29. Cici

March 7, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Hey, I know this gurl. I see her in some events in LA. I love those two purple dresses, and all her shoes are hot. I like that she’s unique with her style, and she knows what looks good on her, and she’s rocking it well. She’s pretty too. I don’t know why females always find it so hard to give other females compliment or acknowledge something good on other females. Females learn how to get over yourself, and see outside yourself, gosh it’s not always about you. It says “HER STYLE”, as long as she doesn’t look like a clown or a masquerade, abeg jo, she’s fierce.

30. miss Cali

March 8, 2009 at 8:15 am

ah ahn her style is at best average. Nothing too spectacular. Why all the sugar-coating? But i give her kudos for sending in her pictures. Remember she did say that she is still experimenting with her style so for now it is just there, maybe with time it would become brilliant.
    my own two cents. and wendi from TWO is indeed stylish, very odd style but all the same stylish 😉
    x

31. Fashion Conscious

March 8, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I think that one of the good things about Judith (my namesake’s) style is her shoes. I like them. They r classy and helps brings out her nice legs and feet. Like she rightly said, that she is still experimenting, i think, with her clothing as it does not really get down with some of the readers and viewers and that’s o.k. as it is clear that she knows what she wants and is getting there with her choices. I like her courage and i believe that she will do well. Judith, congrats!!!

32. Dorah

March 9, 2009 at 12:01 am

She’s a cute girl. I LOVE her hair when it’s in the tight curls. Really nice. I could tell that she was from Cali before I got to the part when she that she was from Cali. I’m gonna admit that I’m not too crazy about her style, (it’s a bit too flashy) but she’s seems really sweet and she’s learning about what works for her.
    PS
    I love that shops at Ross! HOLLER!

33. randommer

March 9, 2009 at 5:22 am

lol yeah, don’t know how that ‘r’ got in there

34. me!

March 13, 2009 at 5:02 am

The boyfriend is a hotness though! me likes!

35. AMEBO

March 14, 2009 at 8:15 pm

You are simply Jealous she is haute and on this page and you are not and not on this page…..
    My dear FACT IS DIFFERENT FROM OPINION ..so donot repeat it is teh fact again…

36. BridgetOti

March 20, 2009 at 4:54 pm

OMG! the last two girls on “my style” have the same style.
    what is this thing about having ur own unique style when they are all the same.

37. diva

March 26, 2009 at 5:49 am

nice gladiator inspired sandals and platform shoes ; )

38. Tosin Nguher

March 29, 2009 at 12:47 am

Apart from the posts on bellanaija, another thing i always like to read.. and scroll down to immediately is the comments… they’re just hilarious from the hating to the loving and the bickering… i love my naija peeps anyday jo! :))

39. the princess

April 13, 2009 at 10:12 pm

i liked most of your outfits aside from the brown top in brown boots with the stockings…….that was a no no….but the flowey dress with the sandles was uber cute chica….very nice ^_^ x

40. Tumi

April 14, 2009 at 2:43 pm

My favourite outfit is the first, and I think all the sexy poses probably make the clothes look less stylish and more like party clothes. I’m sure you watch ANTM, it’s all about GAWKY poses 😛

Joking, non-the-less. I like the hair styles and blue eyeliner.

41. Ogo

May 26, 2009 at 3:09 pm

To me…her style is BORINGGGGG!!!

42. ijay

May 4, 2013 at 3:01 pm

sorry o! no vex but i have to say this……………there is nothing interesting in her style.This is not what i call fashionable or even unique or trendy…………sorry.
    she’s a cute girl o.