News

A journey back to the roots: “Ijinle” by WeWe Clothing

WeWe Clothing glams the kids with its new collection “Ijinle” . The delightful collection consists of the cute, trendy pieces in patterns that are easily identifiable with children, making  the collection fun, playful and reflective of  the cheerful spirit of curious kids!

Designer, Folake Kuye Huntoon, talks more about the “Ijinle” collection:

Collection

“Ijinle” in the Yoruba language means “the roots”, “authentic”, “ancestors”, so many significant and powerful meanings that represent my vision for this collection and for WeWe Clothingas a company. I tend to be really raw and above all, take pride in being an Ibadan girl. For the first time, my husband, 3 kids and beautiful niece visited Ibadan in Nigeria and it was an organic experience. Obviously, it was a bonding one too, it was the first time my family had a chance to see me in true cultural context. The inspiration just came pouring, and as I was there to enjoy and have a good time with my family, I was also taking notes and sketching my next collection for WeWe. It shaped my direction. I knew I had to not only re-focus, but re-brand as well.

Fabric

I chose to use all Ankara fabrics for this collection. In the past, I have mixed Ankara with western fabrics, lace or aso-oke even. This time, I didn’t want to mix. I just wanted to dedicate this to Ibadan, my homeland. Both my parents are from there, and we all re-united in the same city where it all began and where they met. I observed that on the streets or just in general, everyone (adults & kids) had on Ankara with different beautiful designs, patterns and colours.

The Future

Well, we are really happy with the brand right now.We want to get better with every collection, we want to expand our sizes too because right now, we stop at size 5/6. Also, we are working on global expansion and on several non-profit projects. One of them is with American Red Cross of Los Angeles for the people of Haiti, and another is a sickle cell foundation, in which we are trying to focus on Nigeria; orphans with sickle cell disease, and kids with sickle cell in general. We have a lot going on, it’s an exciting time.

View the “Ijinle” collection below:

8950 W. Olympic Blvd.
Suite 505
Beverly Hills, California
90211

301 916  WEWE (9393) – Phone

www.WeWeClothing.com

Currently working in the IT industry as a Junior Software Programmer.Im in my early 20's and a huge fan of Sex and the City and the character Carrie Bradshaw who happens to be my Style Icon.You can simply say I am the thin line between IT and Fashion.

1. omo urhobo

April 17, 2010 at 12:23 pm

would definately clothe my babies in this! lovely

2. chictherapy

April 17, 2010 at 3:16 pm

those kids are way toooooo cute, so are the outfit!

3. jane doe

April 17, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Damn these babies are cute!!!
    The dark skinned boy and girl are the cutest..
    The girl be modelling already.

4. viv

April 17, 2010 at 7:14 pm

those are the cutest and best dressed babies i’ve ever seen!!

5. tbn

April 17, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Awwwww…. these kids are as cute as buttons! Love the clothese too especially the boys pants…

6. tbn

April 17, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Awwwww…. these kids are as cute as buttons! Love the clothes too especially the boys pants…

7. D.O.T.M.H.

April 17, 2010 at 11:25 pm

pretty clothes, prettier children. God bless them and God bless you too.

8. anon

April 18, 2010 at 1:20 am

Awww, they are too adorable, and beautiful. Omg, I love them all.

9. helen akinbamiorin

April 18, 2010 at 2:12 am

omg!
    dis is so adorable!
    i think its cute!

10. Nkem

April 18, 2010 at 5:06 am

This is lovely! The children are beautiful!

11. THE AMAKA

April 18, 2010 at 9:25 am

you’ve got to be kidding me, right?

12. Ruthy

April 18, 2010 at 3:36 pm

ohmigod! this kids are so so cute and I’m loving their attires…

13. Sugabelly

April 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Death by Cuteness Overload

14. Nneka

April 19, 2010 at 12:34 am

Cute kids. Average collection.

Uhm… I also think the pics would have looked better without the unattractive facial artwork *signs*

15. bebe

April 19, 2010 at 12:52 am

Absolutely adorable!!!! i love the harem-style pants……
    bless them kids……..too cute… making my womb ache for a baby…. next year, i’ll be buying some of them clothes!!!! 😉

16. tele

April 19, 2010 at 7:36 am

wao i love the models soooooo much,they look so cute n so natural.mwah mwah to all of you,am so proud of ur creations folake…more wisdom n strength on you my ksses to all the babies

17. $poh

April 19, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Nice… love the 4th picture from the top! lol

18. myopinionishonest

April 19, 2010 at 5:55 pm

🙂 THE AMAKA

Any tailor in obalende or marsha can sew these things. ‘A’ for business mind. ‘F’ for creativity.

19. bebe

April 19, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I tire for bad belle runs o…
    as long as u do not have a fashion line, u r not allowed to comment…ptscheeeeeeeeeeeewwww, i dont know if it’s by force to be a critic!
    These are very nice outfit, its rare to find native styles that do not wear kids…this one fits perfectly, and they dont seem burdened by the outfit.

Stick to ur obalende tailor o…

20. D.O.T.M.H.

April 19, 2010 at 8:50 pm

After saying u’v got to be kidding right? u came here again to say ur opinion is honest. Amaka u’ve got issues. #justsaying

21. imisi

April 19, 2010 at 9:28 pm

this is absolutely adorable…………buriful clothing line nd priceless kids…

22. Sugabelly

April 19, 2010 at 9:55 pm

So she has a point. These children are just wearing miniaturized traditional Yoruba trousers sewn in Ankara.

There is no denying that they are cute, but it is also true that they are nothing new and it is also true that if Nigerians weren’t suffering the effects of Western colonization, this is what Nigerian children would be wearing ANYWAY.

It is also true that any tailor could sew this. Afterall, these designs are designs that our ancestors have been sewing for hundreds of thousands of years.

That being said, I like the fact that she’s putting children in our own traditional clothing styles. For that she has an A in my book.

23. osomelly

April 20, 2010 at 3:06 pm

pictures 17- 20 lovely!!! i can picture my baby boy in no 20 top! i want!!!! very nice. well done 🙂

24. chika Oduah

April 21, 2010 at 12:51 am

nigerians and their obsession with mixed children

25. Foxtrot

April 21, 2010 at 9:18 am

bebe – I completely aree with myopinionishonest. There is absolutely nothing original or fresh about these outfits. The clothes are not special and the trimmings used are way too cheap.

Im not quite sure what “bad belle runs” is or what role it plays in response to her comment. We all need to be truthful even if the truth hurts sometimes.

Badly designed, badly executed. Please DO stick to your obalende tailor.

26. THE AMAKA

April 22, 2010 at 4:03 am

excuse me? what are you talking about?
    i think you need to learn how to read! how does myopinionishonest and THE AMAKA look alike?
    im just seeing this now….maybe the person was responding to me? i don’t know. but please we are not the same person.

but with that being said, i have already seen my cousins in Nigeria wearing this attire already. so what is new about it? just that she stamped her name on it to call it “name brand” and sell it for God knows how much.
    the only thing is the good photography and cute kids that make it look like it something new, when its not.

and i kinda see Chika Oduah’s point. like “hmmmm?”

27. fokasibe

April 22, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I’m loving the tops i.e. the african print ones as well as the simple dresses for the lil girls…I wouldn’t like my kids to traipse around wearing those awkward pants though! The geisha styled dresses to me are uncomfortable at best – really with kids, it’s best to stick with comfort. Remember they play about and like to run free…
    The photo shoot would have looked better without the face (war) paint…
    That said, I think the designer is young and will definitely have a rewarding career…Good luck!!

28. D.O.T.M.H.

April 22, 2010 at 2:48 pm

it’s not just nigerians darling

29. berry

April 23, 2010 at 3:54 pm

beautiful children with kute clothes.keep up d good work,hpe they are affordable

30. uju

April 26, 2010 at 10:25 am

awwwwwwwwwwwww
    i am so wanting to have kids now…cute pix we we clothing n funny on the little ones but am lovin d packeage.

31. otibho

April 27, 2010 at 10:23 am

These kids are adorable.

32. Jade82

April 30, 2010 at 5:54 pm

So adorable…………
    These kids are cute…OMG…i feel like having one now…
    too hawt!!

33. Faithy

May 17, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Lovely! Lovely, Lovely!
    @ all the ladies that believe it’s been done b4 or sub-standard, please give some kudos
    to the fact that the designer is following her passion for Yoruba clothing and sharing
    with kids around the globe. Say something nice or nothing at all – thats what my mama
    taught me –

34. Tumi Jegede

July 12, 2010 at 4:46 am

Awwww, these are adorable. I would love for this trend to pursue better quality of frabrics, in terms of comfort for these children, especially protection from dyes too.

I am sure these are fine (as they have been for centuries), but I love the last picture, all the babies were beautiful, one even looked to be working a reddish/purplish tint in his hair. They’re adorable!!

35. soon to be married

July 13, 2010 at 8:42 am

Definitely my choice for my kids any day, soon to be married soon to be mummy. Yippee