News

BN Exclusive: Goodbye, True Love – Hello, FLAIR Magazine. New Era, New Mag, Covergirl Steph Okereke

BellaNaija.com

It’s the end of an era.
Without a doubt, True Love WA changed the game and left an indelible mark in the Nigerian media industry especially in the women’s magazine segment.
FLAIR was actually originally launched by Bola Atta over a decade ago and was the first women’s lifestyle magazine in Nigeria. It is great to see the brand coming back and its satisfying that its a wholly Nigerian brand lead by an inspiring Nigerian woman. The magazine business globally is floundering and in Nigeria, the business is totally cut throat so it’s really commendable to keep publishing. On the global level, publishing powerhouse Condé Nast has closed down over 6 magazines in the last 18 months, in Africa – True Love Magazine shut down in East Africa and in Nigeria, lots of magazines start and are crushed in less than 3 issues.
The first issue of FLAIR features the beautiful Stephanie Okereke on the cover. Pick up your copy and let us know what you think of the new magazine.

BN Editor’s Comments
Personally, appearing on the cover of True Love West Africa was an inspiring honour. It was one of the major factors that inspired certain decisions that have changed my life.
It was great while it lasted and am expecting even greater things from FLAIR.

Below we have republished the Editor’s Note by Bola Atta as she provides us with insight on the big change and the new magazine.

FLAIR – Relaunch Issue 1 – Editor’s Note by Bola Atta
Welcome to the launch of Flair West Africa – a fresh and exciting new women’s publication that promises to become your best friend.

In case you are wondering why you are seeing me on the pages of Flair West Africa and not TRUE LOVE West Africa: We have decided to discontinue TRUE LOVE West Africa. Our last edition was in March 2010. Launching TRUE LOVE and bringing a fashion-forward and entertainment-savvy magazine to West Africa has been an amazing experience. Together, with valuable input from you, our readers, we built something of which we are fiercely proud. Most of all, in connecting with so many loyal readers and getting to know some of you personally, we learned that you welcome change and evolvement, especially in the fashion industry that inspires us.

FLAIR West Africa will continue to bring you the latest from the fashion and entertainment industries, but we will also bring you inspirational and newsworthy topics on subjects that you, in your feedback, have told us interest you. The world is constantly changing and progressing at an amazing pace. Our country is moving forward rapidly with changing world trends and our fashion and entertainment industry is growing in leaps and bounds. FLAIR West Africa, like an inquisitive, beautiful butterfly, aims to be at the forefront of these developments to bring you the relevant, informative and entertaining stories that you want every month.

The first edition is really special. As we celebrate Children’s Day this month, we focus on our most treasured assets: our children. They, like this magazine, are symbols of renewal, hope and a bright future. Read about mothers of twins and triplets who are filled with joy and gratitude for their multiple blessings. Just as Ete Ayida and women like her have gone the extra mile to better the lives of children, so shall we go the extra mile to bring you the best West Africa and the world have to offer. I hope our stories of inspirational women will make you want to dedicate some of your time and resources to putting smiles on little faces.

If you are reading this right now, you have bought or borrowed your first edition of FLAIR West Africa. I hope you like what you see and enjoy flipping through these pages that we have worked so hard to bring to you. We intend to stay connected with you, our readers, and your feedback and letters will go a long way in letting us know how to please you.

1. irena

May 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm

OMG!! I love the name FLAIR!! Huge congrats to Bola Atta and really wishing you much sucess with Flair.

2. silva

May 11, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Steph is looking fierce!
    the cover of the mag. doesn’t seem that diff. from true love & am happy about that! i truelly loved True love and i hope this is just as good…

3. silva

May 11, 2010 at 10:42 pm

i meant truly…lol…

4. bilqees

May 11, 2010 at 11:09 pm

True love has also pulled out of Nigeria,.??/

5. yoooo

May 12, 2010 at 12:14 am

so they only changed the name se?

6. Gam

May 12, 2010 at 1:37 am

What a mess!! i won’t even bothe looking at what’s inside the magazine, this is toooooooooo wrong, ahn han!!

7. Maame

May 12, 2010 at 1:49 am

Hollywood bound (:lol:) she doesnt even need accent class once she is in Hollywood – cos she has been practicing her american accent for 2 decades now. 😆 she will fit right in 😆

Accent Woman

8. omoge

May 12, 2010 at 5:55 am

Okay this looks like True Love photocopied. What has that lip color got to do
    with the blue???? where is the “Flair” on this cover?? I need to see some
    sought of enhancement. The lightening is too harsh on her complexion.
    I expect and demand more… Make up, Photographer, styling need to
    step up!!! Please Bola! Flair readers deserve more….and oh stephanie
    is beautiful.

9. fokasibe

May 12, 2010 at 9:30 am

More grease to your elbows guys……..

10. vanessa

May 12, 2010 at 10:02 am

just read d mag an hour ago and i must say dt d make up on her face wasnt properly blended wt her neck

11. vic

May 12, 2010 at 10:09 am

I looooooooove True Love.Definitely going to miss it
    Hope FLAIR performs well o..Fingers crossed!!!

12. Jola

May 12, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Oh dear, I waited two months to read my fav. TrueLove only to read this post. Dear Bola, atleast a formal “goodbye” would have sufficed. I just Segun Johnson has a column in the new Flair. I wish you all the best.

13. Truth

May 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm

What kind of 419 move is this?

14. Rebecca

May 12, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I just Love stephanie, she is fierce and on fire.

15. G

May 12, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Nice nice nice! Would like to work with Bola Attah on this one, true!

Stephanie, you are one pretty lady, i love your guts!

16. buks

May 12, 2010 at 5:50 pm

omg…why is there a typo on the front cover?? focussing??

17. Myne Whitman

May 12, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I am big TL fan so this feels a bit strange. But good luck, Bola Attah is a great editor.

18. Lyte

May 13, 2010 at 1:40 am

I am so surprise about this new development. I am a big fan of TL and I think
    readers should have been re-informed about this before now. Becos, I have been
    searching for a copy of TL for the month of May, well congrats Bola Attah. I hope
    Flair would be as good as TL or even better.

19. bukky

May 13, 2010 at 3:08 am

na wa for typo o!Haba on their first edition???why does the font style look so
    old school and like it was done in windows paint!!damn this na down grade o

20. Bola #1

May 13, 2010 at 4:10 am

was wondering what would happen to Bola Atta, happy to hear she’s still in the game.

This is just the beginning of greatness for FLAIR, very soon we’ll be narvelling at how great.
    Congrats on the big move!

21. biodun caston-dada

May 13, 2010 at 6:45 am

i will only say, with TRUE LOVE, you came, you saw and you conquered n i’m
    very sure FLAIR won’t be an exception. you’ve always been a very good and humble person that i respected and appreciated your intelligence in journalism so much. wishing you success in yur new ventur

22. Titi

May 13, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Hello, it’s me ITK again LOL. “focussing” is NOT wrong. Neither is “focusing”. They are both correct. On another note, I prefer the name ‘Flair’ to ‘True Love’. Bola Atta is doing a great job.

23. FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere

May 13, 2010 at 2:02 pm

@ Titi, its a Nigerian Magazine right?people spell it as “Focusing” in Nigeria.abegggg
    Men, i dont like the font..damn!!Looks like a word perfect production!!I like the name flair better tho

24. FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere

May 13, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Steph looks hot not feeling the matching blush and lipstick tho

25. cutieprettynasty

May 13, 2010 at 4:00 pm

@buks, I had to check the magazine on the typo, that would be a huge error on a publication and it says FOCUSING and not FOCUSSING, kindly check again and revert.

26. Titi

May 13, 2010 at 4:05 pm

FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere, your name is long o! 🙂 But how are you so sure that “focusing” is the only acceptable version in Nigeria? Any proofs? You can’t just go with what “people” spell it as. Who are these people? Flair Magazine, carry go jo!

27. jessi

May 13, 2010 at 5:01 pm

the name of the mag:flair.the mag:truelove.guess there’s really no difference in the two mags.stephenie is beautiful but i dont think the make up came out so well.cant wait to see the mag though.

28. Jonno

May 13, 2010 at 6:39 pm

The magazine doesn’t look polished at all..the font, the colour, Steph’s makeup. Not good..not good. And which one come be evolvement? It’s evolution my dear Bola.

29. ai

May 13, 2010 at 7:21 pm

The make up on steph is a big No No. I trust Bola atta will fly high on flair.atta girl!

30. anon

May 13, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Re first women’s lifestyle magazine in Nigeria, actually there was an amazing women’s lifestyle mag called Emotan, published in the 80s out of Ibadan

31. anon

May 13, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Picked up a copy today half-expecting something new…only thing that’s changed is the name. Oh, and my copy had “focusing”, not “focussing”.

32. TOLA ADENLE

May 14, 2010 at 5:42 am

Thanks, Anon 30. Emotan lived from 1977-1985. A heck of a run.
    I used to read TRUE LOVE occasionally. A good job. Considering the
    resources at our disposal bk in the 70s, EMOTAN garnered raves for depth and
    seriousness. It was no trail blazer: followed DAILY TIMES’ Woman’s World and
    late Chief Onabanjo’s Modern Woman ed. by Toun, his late daughter but I was y ow
    my own financier. I started it after editing THE DAILY SKETCH Women Affair
    pages as publisher/ed-in-chief. Congrats, Bola, and here’s wishing you tons
    of success. Read me in the NATION on Sunday. Was in COMET on Sunday
    before THE NATION.

33. TOLA ADENLE

May 14, 2010 at 6:24 am

PS. I was 31 when EMOTAN was presented to the public at U.I.
    Trenchard Hall in 1977.

34. THE AMAKA

May 23, 2010 at 10:18 am

I’m not really feeling steph’s picture at all. and to think this is is a major magazine in Nigeria. they shouldn’t even let things like that fly. COME ON!

35. jaypemps

May 26, 2010 at 11:14 am

i have a copy of the mag. Quite impressive. However, the makeup artist did not do Steph any justice

36. D.A.I

June 9, 2010 at 12:10 am

@Jonno: Evolvement is correct – means the act of evolving.

37. eazzie E

June 14, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Ok, I think this was a bad photo shoot and the make up artist worsened it by making steph look horrible. She looks stressed. I think there was not enough publicity for the change of name. what inspires the name “Flair” . we should have been told, why the change???? Whats the brand manager thinking? All the best though

38. mojy

June 16, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I have looked and looked the makeup was HORRIBLE, who did that? didn’t the editor see it, Step is gorgeous u guys made her ugly, the pose looked masculine. Everytin about the photo shoot is not just it

39. Splendor Osa

June 18, 2010 at 6:35 am

Wao.. it’s nice having a replacement for Truelove,I almost miss June edition of flair thinking it was a sport magazine and i hope fans will not bypass it.

40. iche girl

November 17, 2010 at 4:42 am

So if truly flair evevoled from true love why has it been impossible to get one? I am an avid reader of flair and have not missed an edition for as long as I can remember. Its been off the market!!!!!! Guess I’ll just stick with genevive, always felt it was for the 40’s and above ladies.

41. ogechi

December 26, 2010 at 8:04 pm

this has always bn my best magazine so far and i have always ensured that i dont miss any edition even my husband sees to dat, well i guess its due to the fact that it has really chaged our lives, romance, fashion infact every topic disscused has been of help to us but its been cut short because i dont get to see them any more n the market the last edition i found was that of oluchi as the page cover,i dont really understand what is really going on now because there this particular true love i usually buy from shoprite in nigeria but i think its ‘ made in south africa ‘

42. makioba

March 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm

i got my current job through True Love advert… and its so amazing how it all came about………….

43. A.d

March 25, 2011 at 12:13 am

Hi bola grt to see u kicking off wit flair ,i must say i love ur work n really happy u used steph for ur cover she luks grt evendo d makeup didnt blend in well.i il however lik to work wit u if u hv a space yet to be filld.kp it up!

44. segun

April 13, 2011 at 7:15 pm

i realized d name was changed 4rm true love 2 flair, but i cant find flair in warri, Delta state, or is flair gone….

45. teacake

May 4, 2011 at 4:31 pm

hi bola, i av this crush for TL mag but i think dats cos u were doing a great job as the publisher. Now that u av ur thing, am so sure i’ll luv it cos i av a flare for good things- congrats. But Flair’s not readily available especially in OAU, Ife.

46. salewa

May 30, 2011 at 9:18 pm

its not fair at all,you changed the name to flair and we love it still now we can’t find it any more.truelove now flair has influenced my life a great deal that you can’t even imagin,i don’t any edition now is no where to be found. pls let us no wat is wrong at least you owe we ur reads that.

47. natty

September 24, 2011 at 2:04 pm

After the second edition of Flair it disappeared from the market and nothing is done to explain to or compensate subscribers. For a one year subscription I got only two, the last had Osaze Odemwingie on its cover.What’s up?