News

Is It Your Money?

Glory Edozien

Maybe it’s just me. But ever since I wrote the ‘Gold Digger’ article people have been looking at me weird! I have been called a few names, even amongst so called friends. The most amusing of names so far has been ‘educated aristo’. I find it quite amusing actually and maybe somewhere deep inside I see it as a compliment that people take my writing seriously.

But what I have found less amusing is the reaction I have been getting from a few of the male folk. The other day, I went for a party with a couple of friends. I noticed a very HOOOT looking dude giving me the Joey (from friends), ‘how you doing look’. I returned his gesture with a polite ‘I am alright but not particularly desperate’ smile. I then nudge my friend Temi to give me the 411 on the guy. She proceeded to give me the essential statistics. Biola Brown (Fake name for obvious reasons), 36, Single, moved back from the States about 2 years ago, works as the general manager for his dad’s shipping firm. In girl language, this is the long way of saying ‘proceed the coast is clear’. But then she added something else that shocked me. “Glory, the guy is only going to play with your heart then dump you. He is from a prominent Yoruba family and his parents want him to marry from a similar background. So please be careful”. I decided against asking Temi if she thought my father was a fisher man when I saw the young man himself approach me.

“Hi, my name is Biola. Biola Brown”. He said looking straight into my eyes. “I have been looking at you since you came in here. I thought it would be only polite to talk to the prettiest girl in the room. I smiled. He was confident. I like that in a man. What’s your name? After a few short minutes we had swapped numbers and had arranged to meet up the following day.

The next day, Biola and I met up at a cosy spot on the Island and he looked even more dapper in daylight. I gave myself a well deserved pat on the back and settled into what I believed would be a good first date. I was wrong. About 30 minutes into the date, I was bored. So bored in fact that I had started making plans for the following week. Mr Biola Brown had spent the entire time talking about himself. Now don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with talking about yourself. But unless you are at an interview, long winded answers about the prestigious universities you attended in America are pointless. Biola, just would not shut up about the amount of money his father had and how he felt his dad was stingy because he refused to buy him the CLK he’d asked for. He regaled me for what seemed like hours about his father’s cars, houses and illustrious appointments. Infact, at one point I started wondering if he was trying to hook me up with his dad. It really was absolutely ridiculous!

A week after our first date, my cousin’s husband who coincidentally happens to be Biola’s friend, called me, asking why I wasn’t returning Biola’s calls. I explained that I wasn’t interested in a man who spent the whole time talking about his dad. He laughed and convinced me to give the guy another chance. So off I went on yet another date with Biola, hoping that this time he had learnt his lesson. He hadn’t. This time he gave me a complete history of the Brown shipping empire. I wanted to scream. So finally I had to bite the bullet and ask, Biola do you realise you talk so much about your father’s wealth? It’s actually a bit weird. I said with a smile. His reply shocked me. “Does my father’s wealth intimidate you”?

“Errr, no it doesn’t”! I replied. I just don’t understand why a thirty something year old man is so wrapped up in his father’s wealth he is yet to achieve anything on his own. Yes, I know it was a harsh reply but I think he deserved it. Off course the date went downhill from there and he hasn’t called ever since. Frankly, I couldn’t be more pleased.

I told some of my girlfriends about Biola and apparently Lagos is riddled with these counterfeit men. Spending their father’s money like it was theirs. Meanwhile many Nigerian women are working their butts off, paying their own bills and getting slammed for it. Now, please don’t get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with receiving parental support. After all it is the pride of a father to bring up his children. However, there should come a time when the son or daughter begins to cut off the apron strings and make something for themselves. I find it quite disturbing when a man in his late thirties complains about his father’s refusal to buy him an expensive car. What ever happened to working hard and buying your own? So whether the whole of Nigeria thinks I am a gold digger or not I want to believe I speak for many women out there when I say it’s a complete turn off to meet a man that old who still collects pocket money no matter how rich his father is!

Yes, my gold digger article did mention the financial acid test, but it also mentioned the need for a man to have dollops of ambition and drive. Relying on daddy’s monthly pay check alone scores you an almighty F on that test. So here is my question to all the Biola Brown’s out there…..where is your own money?

Photo Credits: www.uk2.net/blog/

Glory is the host and executive producer of Inspire Series, the web talk show which uses the collective stories of everyday women to inspire others. She believes women are more than hand bags, hair, make-up and other externalities and is passionate about about pursuing purpose and living above societal conformities. She is also a day dreamer, and romantic at heart who loves TV, food and family. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @inspiredbyglory and read more from her on www.inspiredbyglory.com

1. Mia

June 1, 2010 at 9:42 am

LOL… Lovely article. I agree with you 100 percent.

2. V-gal

June 1, 2010 at 9:45 am

When i see writings like this i’m glad because it hits the nail on the head for me. Next time my friends ask me how i could turn that rich guy down i’ll direct them to this article. Next time all those rich without filter guys call me impossible i’ll send this article link to them. Is like some people don’t get it these days..IT AIN’T ALL ABOUT MONEY

3. notaplayahater

June 1, 2010 at 10:27 am

Word!!!!! Get ’em Glo!!

4. Rhoda Ebun

June 1, 2010 at 10:52 am

Even though i’ve never met you Gloria, I know I love you already.
    Imagine that a lady has to work her butt off to make a name for herself only to suffer some form derogation from her men who practically like their fathers’ butt.

5. CEO

June 1, 2010 at 10:57 am

omg…i dont usually comment on articles but this one, i give it a thumbs up! u are so right Glory, I mean i have come in contact with guys in their late twenties, who all they talk about its their fathers wealth…Am like seriously, WTH. whatever happened to guys that have drive and ambition. i personally find it really nice with a guy that has perspectives in life…a guy that knows that with energy and passion, he can make as much money(even if he aint driving a clk @ the moment..)times have changed..babes are now the ones working their butt off, to get paid, while guys blow their daddys’ money in the club on ace of spades and don P…how sad.

6. reen

June 1, 2010 at 11:05 am

Lol @ “I decided against asking Temi if she thought my father was a fisher man” or bread seller Glory.
    Lol also @ “Does my father’s wealth intimidate you”? Ah, ah! is he that terrible? Frankly i think majority of those originally born into wealth dont boast and r not as proud cos wealth isnt new to them but if his so called “father” had always been rich and at 36, his stil behaving like a local boy, then all i can say is what a shame! Gbam

7. D-girl

June 1, 2010 at 11:06 am

So true, shows the attitude of some of our young men who think that “daddy’s” money means they don’t have to work hard like everyone else. Good on you Glory for tell the guy the truth.

8. reen

June 1, 2010 at 11:08 am

i should add this also. As a GM in his father’s shipping whatever, i wonder how the staff there r gonna cope if he has such an unpleasant vain personality.

9. nono

June 1, 2010 at 11:16 am

Hahahahaha…I am happily married now but before then would gladly stay away from such prominent yoruba families. Mainly because I think the sons are never quite fully matured enough to not depend on daddy’s money. Also, not forgetting the numerous family members and acquitances that would analyse the relationship so much and make it look like you married the guy for money (bearing in mind that I come from a very comfortable family etc)…Tufia….And most times you dont even know how the money was made, abeg I no do o.

10. tt

June 1, 2010 at 11:17 am

looooool, I absolutely love, Glory ur amazing!

11. Amy

June 1, 2010 at 11:22 am

At 36, still dependant on Dad. It’s no good. Like you rightly said these days ladies are working hard these days and one would expect them to settle with Daddy’s boy.No! A little support from popsi or momsi sometimes doesn’t demean or be-little him.

12. chicky_sexy

June 1, 2010 at 11:23 am

very typical of nigerian men… at 36 wants a car frm his father???? big turnoff…
    lol at coast is clear…..

13. Chilolo

June 1, 2010 at 11:37 am

Basically a 36 yr old waiting on his papa to buy him a car has no ambition. His whole existence is based on inheriting from his father that obviously worked hard to make that money. I wish the guy luck but us independent women don’t need DADDY’S BOYS to survive, we need real men that know how to work hard to make that cheddar and have goals in life instead of asking papa for a CLK. My dear you spoke well, I would have told him to “step off” after the 1st date. LNGKMO.

14. cheezzy

June 1, 2010 at 11:42 am

9ice one girl! i think it’s high time we speak out for those spoilt-daddy-boys
    to seat up right and know the difference between “my own sweat and daddy’s
    wealth”

15. Gwen

June 1, 2010 at 11:56 am

Bella…. Very well put.

In plain terms, men who talk and dont walk the mile are simply hiding behind their insecurities knowing they will not have an identity without the hard work and graft by their fathers…..

Sometimes it is better to be silent and appear a fool than speak and remove all doubts. Some people should learn from this.

Nice read.

16. vanessa

June 1, 2010 at 11:57 am

1st to comment.yipeeee.tnk u Gloria 4 ds.i also v male frnds who act like ds.they cant v a conversation wtout tlkn abt hw rich dier parents are.May God help us o.buh mst gals like ds kinda of stf sha

17. whatsintheworld.com

June 1, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Ok, thought provoking article.
    Secondly, not proven hypothesis.
    How many of the women who commented on here who faults Biola Browns life will settle for a want to be with a struggling guy at 36?

18. Ronke

June 1, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Ditto. Lovely article. However i know girls who are easily swayed by this. Asking questions about who is his daddy? does he come from a rich home? All the blame does not lie on the guys, there are also girls who are similarly spoilt and have been brought up to look for guys from equally rich families.So i guess when rich man’s child (girl) meets rich man’s child (boy) they instantly hit it off!

19. sni

June 1, 2010 at 12:27 pm

i love your article girl…Absolutely agree with you..i need friends like you in my life!

20. lifeofastranger

June 1, 2010 at 12:37 pm

$#%OUNCH!!! I’m sure the man “dem” are shaking their head and hiding..Glory has put them on full blast. This is very important though. Their father’s made something of themselves and it is therefore their turn too. If their fathers were relying on their own daddy, then maybe there wont be any money to brag about, let alone complain about how stingy their pappi’s are. Nice post Glory.. You go girl!!…..

21. B

June 1, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I so agree with you Glory. However, i believe truth be told, we all need the
    foundational boost in life and having rich parents does help some times….BUT
    a MAN (not a BOY) should know where this ends.

It is sooooooo off-putting having even a 25yr old talk about daddys wealth…
    Guys please please go get your own money, if its daddys, it aint urs..PERIOD!

22. deedoubleU

June 1, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Lovely.. We all like money,no one wants to end up being poor.. Funny thing is that some of us look at pictures and want to be in there shoes..”all that glitters is not gold”. …but daddy’s boat, car, ship, plane… etc isnot urs.. It’s daddy’s and some babes will think ohh cool. Why not be with an ambitious guy that is not worried about daddy’s money.. or is working hard to be better than daddy.. even the rich girls as well…Get your money right..Don’t wait and hope to end up with another rich man’s son. Like my mother will say… Choose an ambitious man that you see a future with. Don’t marry a man cos his Daddy is rich and when you get married.. He can’t handle the ups and downs, cos daddy and mommy have always been there… e,g u get married and Looking after you and your family..becomes a problem.. May the lord deliver us from all this….I wish you all real matured fufilled life ladies..

23. raregem

June 1, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Thumbs up,Gloria!gosh [email protected],God forbid!coast no clear o….

24. Bolade

June 1, 2010 at 1:06 pm

All I can sa is WORD Sista..I find guys like that truly sad and disgusting…get a frigging life! life nigga, u’re a grown ass MAN!
    As for d ladies, keep up being independent without aristos o so we can truly define ‘independent’
    great article..

25. Shirley

June 1, 2010 at 1:17 pm

One word……..WORD!

26. Eno

June 1, 2010 at 1:22 pm

OMG! Gloria, say it! say it! You ain’t lying.

You’re better of with a dude with his hands in the soil, tilling, than one with his hands on daddy’s till, waiting for it to tip over.

• lizzy

October 18, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Lovely one Eno…..so true.

27. Mercury

June 1, 2010 at 1:26 pm

The rich daddy’s girls are guilty of this as well.just saying-go get your own money and make a name for yourself.

28. chicky_sexy

June 1, 2010 at 1:36 pm

@Ronke.
    and they instantly divorce…

29. beanie

June 1, 2010 at 2:09 pm

word!!!…these ridiculous “pampers” wearing men who at ripe old ages still look up to Daddy to do the diaper changing.dey should get deir acts together and make sth of demselves

30. NoLimit

June 1, 2010 at 2:09 pm

you’re on point! this is word!!!
    I love this part “there should come a time when the son or daughter begins to cut off the apron strings and make something for themselves. I find it quite disturbing when a man in his late thirties complains about his father’s refusal to buy him an expensive car.”
    Spot on!

31. Olivia

June 1, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Gloria, thanks a lot for this piece. Soooo true! Most men now fail to realise that you have to BE a man to be a man! Like the song says: ‘Papa may have, mama may have but God bless the child who’s got his own….’

32. whatsintheworld.com

June 1, 2010 at 2:25 pm

33. fash

June 1, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I have been saying this for a while now….ambition and humility beats money anyday anytime…Thumbs up Gloria.

34. Lara

June 1, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Love the fact that you hit the nail in the head, what happens to making your own money, yes it’s their parents but what if the parent was por, would they not eat

35. TruthHurts

June 1, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Chei! Una can lie!!! All of you have suddenly become women with principles.
    Tell the truth: which one of you would not jump at the chance to
    date or marry a rich boy,daddy’s boy or not?! Abegi, make all of una go siddon!
    Confused pretenders! If the guy no get money una go dey complain, if him
    get, na wahala. There’s no ‘perfect’ man out there. Little wonder majority of
    you are still single! Yes, you can hate me now!

36. Flourishing Florida

June 1, 2010 at 4:00 pm

@whatsintheworld.com: no, they don’t throw the money away.
    they (20 of the man’s kids & 100 relatives) start going to court 2 fight
    4 a pennies they can get! RT We must all stop following regular opinions. What should happen to the fathers wealth when he is dead? Throw it away?

37. Bisqo

June 1, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I hope “Biola Brown” reads this article…. and realizes that it’s about HIM….

38. Ayo

June 1, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I don’t think the issue here is that the man’s father is rich. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Even the bible says that a wise man leaves wealth for his children’s children. But if the child is constantly throwing “daddy’s” wealth in people’s faces, he/she has a real immaturity problem. That person needs to grow up. Gloria’s write up, as I see it, isn’t about the guy’s father’s wealth, but about his immaturity. If he’s the GM of his father’s company, how come he’s still waiting for “daddy” to buy him a CLK?

39. Bigzgels

June 1, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Preach!

40. Miss Lawunmi

June 1, 2010 at 4:40 pm

While he was talking endlessly about his father, were you just sat there looking and listening? If you don’t like the conversation, you can take charge and steer it another way. Start a new topic or something.

41. mariaah

June 1, 2010 at 4:48 pm

lol @ truth hurts..nt dat am stalkng u or anything but i av been seeing ur very blunt comments..nice..
    ogilory ehh!!!God bless you.This article makes so much sense its so annoying to c an able young man above 25 waiting on daddy…Rubbish absolute rubbish!!daddy’s connections yh yh, not that you wait for everything!2 all d Mr brown out there grow some balls and be a man..

42. mariaah

June 1, 2010 at 4:50 pm

please you lot should vote for auntie bella!!Scroll down to see all the categories..

43. Eno

June 1, 2010 at 5:37 pm

@ Truthhurts : There’s nothing wrong with dating/marrying a rich boy. However, if he’s as described in Glory’s story, hmmm.

Its easy to be taken in with the flash, phune & all what not, but after spending “quality” time listening to daily sermons about ‘daddy this’ and ‘daddy that’, you’re going to go look for more interesting/engaging conversation elsewhere.

44. Eno

June 1, 2010 at 5:43 pm

@ No 32 . there’s nothing wrong with wealth/riches in itself; its the attitude that is the issue.

45. Ola

June 1, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Well done!! you took the words right out of my mouth…

46. TruthHurts

June 1, 2010 at 8:08 pm

@mariaah: er, this is my first time commenting on BN o!
    Maybe i used sum1 else’s id? Mmm…so much for being original…
    but no be true i talk? Maybe i should change to “TrueTalk!”

47. B

June 1, 2010 at 8:30 pm

@Truth hurts, everyone likes a good life. Standard. If it so happens you meet a
    guy from a wealthy home, FINE!

However, a good wife/girlfriend should inspire the man to look beyond his dads
    wealth and aspire to make his own!!!!!

In other words, dont eat and cross ur legs doing nothing!!!!

48. brenda

June 1, 2010 at 9:10 pm

i totally agree wit u Gloria but how about d girls dat keep blabin about daddy s wealth?

49. judy

June 1, 2010 at 9:19 pm

@truthhurts
    biko we need to be best friends, i once said bellas writers are confused and pple wanted to crucify me. is it the same glory that wrote about golddigging that wrote this article? How do u think most of d young guys u want to spoil u get their money.
    abeg leave this matter. c pple writing erm boys need to grow up as if it is not pple like Mr brown that trip u guys.

50. Derin

June 1, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Go Glory!!! well said

51. TheMaestress

June 2, 2010 at 3:09 am

Glory, all I have to say is Gbam! You hit the nail on the head!

52. sayingitasitis

June 2, 2010 at 4:48 am

Excellent article Glory. Keep it up!

@Truthhurts #35
    Is it a crime to be single? Illiteracy and close mindedness is definately a disease. I guess you are one of those who does not know what to do with your life unless you are attached on the hip with another. Learn to live life to the fullest irrespective of your marital status. After all, if your spouse were to pass away before you, are you going to jump in front of a car and die also? Many widows in Naija are living their lives (happily single) without their late husbands but I bet that is too complicated for you to comprehend.

53. FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere

June 2, 2010 at 7:50 am

@ AYo well said o!
    My problem is not that his father is rich or that he gets financial help
    from his father, but that he is such an immature prick to be throwing around the fact that his father is this and this…A Fool at 36 is Biola Brown!!What a senseless human being.

54. bumble bee

June 2, 2010 at 7:57 am

LMAO. “Does my father’s wealth intimidate you”? Can he hear himself?
    You are indeed speaking for us women. I made this statement once to a friend “if at 40 a man still has ambitions and no results not even one….. be careful.

55. Aisha

June 2, 2010 at 8:11 am

Well done girl. Well said. Tell it to them jo. Most men need to read and know that it is not all about the money.

56. nonye

June 2, 2010 at 8:51 am

@ Truth hurts: no woman doesnt want a guy who’s got it going on!! but pls not on your father’s accounts! so pls dont call people names for being open. Glory glory glory!!!! nice one darling!!!

57. Aibee

June 2, 2010 at 10:31 am

@ Glory, I so gbadun you. You hit the nail right on the head.

@Truthhurts; there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a rich dad. I wouldnt mind being married to Adenuga/Otedola/Akinruntan etc. The problem is when a ‘man’ of 36 is still waiting for his dad to buy him a car. I have no issues with him working for his dad. Notice I said ‘working’ and nopt just sitting around on his ass going by the title ‘executive director’. At that age, he should be able to think of ways to grow the family wealth and possibly make a name for him independent of his father’s. The Waltons (of WalMart), Trumps (Ivanka Trump especially) of this world dont just sit on their asses waiting for the money to fall into their laps. I’ve seen Ivanka sit on the Apprentice and I’m impressed by her sound knowledge of the business environment in which her father operates.

A man like ‘Biola Brown’ is on the same level as Paris Hilton. All flash and no substance.

58. WaleAdeniji

June 2, 2010 at 11:34 am

@TruthHurts: Thanks for saying it as it is. Many here may even curse you but it doesn’t matter. It is the same women here who would never have anything to do with a youngman with lots of potentials but still struggling to make it in life or to find his bearing. Many of them here wouldn’t have given Mike Adenuga a chance when the poor man was doing a blue-colar job in the cold abroad. There are many of them who would never date a man without a flashy car. Many will make comments here as if we don’t know what stuff they’re made of. Bunch of hypocrite. Glory, you did a very good job jare. It is ladies that encourage these never do well sons and daughters of rich men to flaunt their father’s wealth and never wants to work for their own wealth. They know that’s what many people want and that is a way to let them know that their father is the owner of National Thearter or National stadium. Nice write up,Glory.

59. Young Buck

June 2, 2010 at 2:59 pm

That is interesting on the one hand you want a wealth guy…which is obvious,
    you wouldnt have gone on a second date otherwise – no matter what excuse you give , but yet you talk of
    “girl power” and women struggling to pay their own bills. Nobody man
    or woman should be congratulated / slammed for paying THEIR OWN
    BILLS…who else do you expect to pay them!!!

There are many MORE men working hard to pay their bills..their parents,
    their younger siblings bills etc…BUT I GUESS those guys wont catch you eye..
    they are obviously too poor. Rubbish!

60. Petit'

June 2, 2010 at 3:07 pm

The articles on BN are always thought provoking or good for laughs but it is the comments after the articles that catch my interest the most. the various responses and approaches to whatever the subject is NEVER falis to leave me in stiches. Go Glory! and relax girls, to each his own.xoxo

61. hauwa

June 2, 2010 at 3:35 pm

holy molly!!! i find it hard to believe a man in his 30″s (in fact a man in his late 20’s) still depends on his folks!! Jesus Christ!!! (plz permit ma use of this phrase even though am not a xtian)
    ma dear you try no be small ROTFLMAO!
    i’v actually never made any comment on your post cos of may be 1 restraining factor or the other however this particular 1 just froze me to ma seat…lol God knows i cant stand a man whom isn’t independent of his parents let alone one whom talks way too much about how much wealth his family posses.

62. whatsintheworld.com

June 2, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Perhaps the area that should have been addressed in the article was not touched in depth. Talking about father’s wealth could be the wrong side but denouncing someone who is 36 because he is living on fathers money is not a trait particularly common to the Naija women we all know. All these people on here have only followed with the writer. I wonder what money Glo Adenuga’s son will make that will still not make him a little boy under his fathers wealth?

63. xoxo

June 2, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Ladies do not want a lazy,unambitious,guy with no active potential .But we also do not want arrogant pompous types who believe that the world revolves around them and their [email protected] the world and truth hurts,there are a lot of girls who value humilty, and hardwork and would date a guy if they see his potential and drive.P.S she went 4 d 2nd date cos every one deserves a 2nd chance.

64. semira

June 2, 2010 at 8:09 pm

plssss..there’s no reasonable excuse for why a man in his 30’s is still
    talking about ‘daddy’s money’..he should be ashamed of himself!!60%
    of naija guyz r on it!its irritatin dt dey expect us 2 b impressed by it!
    luvly article babe!!

65. Toyin

June 3, 2010 at 4:29 am

Preach it sister! Aye ya aye, if I were the lady on the date with this “Biola”, I’d have given him a piece of my mind after the first 10 minutes of him rambling about his father’s wealth. I don’t have much patience for such nonsense. There’s nothing wrong with spending your father’s wealth but please, have some goals and accomplishments of your own to speak of!

66. lammy

June 3, 2010 at 10:37 am

@ Ayo i totally agree with you.
    the fact that the guy spends his father’s money doesn’t really really matter,yes his father is rich so why should he suffer himself,BUT at that stage its not good to depend on his father’s wealth, and for crying out loud he is a GM and 36yrs old,he should learn to stay independent and start making plans for his own family, one thing is being the son or daughter of a rich man another thing is maturity, humility,honesty,having a goal,name it etc,you dont have to ask a question like that “Does my father’s wealth intimidate you”? well that shows he is immature.

and to babes out there none of you wants to marry i poor guy or do you? or do you want to tell me that, that guy doesn’t have a babe he is keeping?donno he might have,but the truth is we ladies should learn to say no to things that disgusts us and not say yes to the money.

Glory nice work!!!

67. omo tee

June 3, 2010 at 10:50 am

Louder sister, I loved and still love ur golddigger piece,

I have been screaming it,but no body seems to be listening,

even worse than Brown are guys who are made(or so they think) and expect u to

worship them, if you are 30 and have a car and a 500k job doesn’t make u,

especially when half of it goes to friday nighting and the other half paying your

gbese(debt) …hiss

Mothers need to teach their sons better.

Good job gal

68. Juici1

June 3, 2010 at 12:06 pm

WOW! love this article!
    hit the nail on the head! its bad enough when a guy just talks about himself/his money on a date, let alone his fathers money! Why should he be so proud?? He was obviously trying to attract the type of woman who doesnt care where the money comes from, as long as money is there!!
    well done! x

69. Di

June 3, 2010 at 3:02 pm

LMAO, Gloria God bless you, seriously i feel like screaming at some silly guys in this my Ikoyi hood ‘IS IT YOUR MONEY?’
    nice one girl, any guy who can use the wonderful education his folks have given him to carve a niche for himself, but instead brags about ‘dady’s money’ is a BIG LOSER!

70. Biodun

June 3, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Nice one Glory! As a hard working chap who is trying to make something of his life, I couldn’t agree
    with you more regarding so-called ‘silver -spoon’ a**holes!! . Particularly loved the coup de grace “I just don’t understand why a thirty something year old man is so wrapped up in his father’s wealth he is yet to achieve anything on his own”.As the late Dagrin said-”O lenu bi pon pon pon pon” lol

71. damola

June 3, 2010 at 7:24 pm

dem no know say, e no easy.. oh boy.. money na money, whether na my papa, mama or aunty, uncle, or even chick own.. MONEY na MONEY.

72. rdl

June 3, 2010 at 9:15 pm

i’m loving this….pls where can i get the gold digger article?

73. Zeeeeeera

June 4, 2010 at 5:58 am

is it the in thing? just dumped someone who behaved alike…!!!

74. omotoke

June 4, 2010 at 11:07 am

Gloria dear, i love all ur articles. U ROCK…………….. it aint all about the money.. its hightime men knew that

75. Miss Natural

June 4, 2010 at 6:16 pm

The way you write Glory is so true, it doesn’t matter what topic but you always are real. Everyone’s said it already but we all need to grow up at some point, not too early and definitely not anytime late.

76. uchechi

June 5, 2010 at 12:22 am

Interesting..I totally agree with you, quite a number of young nigerian men like brown display such attitude which I must confess is sad. Its high time they know their flaws and do something about it, your article hit the nail on the head.

77. witty

June 7, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Gloria,you should have told him to introduce you to his father as he is a broke ass!

@truthhurts you are right thats what silly girls like and thats why she went on the date because she heard he was from a wealthy family…lol

78. me

June 8, 2010 at 4:17 pm

go girl. i like it wen girls stand for what is right.

79. Biblo

June 16, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Evry1 seem 2 b focusin on the wealth issue which isn’t d case. D problem is his attitude…a rotten 1 4 dt matter. At 36, n stil whinnin about his dad nt buyin him a CLK…ick. Shame on him. Little wnder he isn’t married.
    On d other hand, he’s prolly workin his butts off @ his father’s company (wot d father wnts) since he’s gonna b d successor, and feels he deserves a CLK 4 a job welldone…who knws.
    Nywayz d bottom line remains dt he is immature & spoilt…Hw cld he av asked ‘Duz my father’s wealth intimdate u?’ Dt wuz in bad taste.

80. hailey

June 22, 2010 at 3:11 am

Nice one gal..go get ur money lads!!

81. Karen

July 2, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Lol!!! you were a pleasure to read. Nice one!

82. Chizzy

July 20, 2010 at 7:58 pm

LOL @ where is your own money? pls where is the link to ur first article?

83. Omo America

August 6, 2010 at 11:00 am

Oh Lord I think i dated his brother from an Igbo mother! I have the same problem with this guy I recently went out with. He literally gave me an unabridged history of the family’s triumphs, the bitter power struggle, the accolades his parents have received. Glad Im not the only one with a daddy’s money manchild.

84. maryjane

August 6, 2010 at 5:49 pm

its either we are sisters of different parents or something close,i share in a lot of ur views esp dis one, guys , pls stand on ur own feet before seeking who u ll back.

85. captain

August 11, 2010 at 1:28 pm

spot on!

86. Adenike

August 13, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Even though I enjoyed this article, you Glory no do well at ALL!!!!! Why change the name. You for Name and SHAME. Please next time, don’t disappoint. Infact its not too late. You can still give us epilogue. Abi the story is FAKE???

87. forcy

September 30, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Gloria, I find your articles quite interesting, because it gives me a feel of how things are back home in Nigeria regarding relationships, after spending over 12years in England. I do empathise with you about guys like ‘Biola Brown’, who obviously needs some lessons on effective communication (You need to talk more about the other person in your conversation, listen to them, ask relevant questions that show your interest in them, if you can do all these; you’ll be surprised how they’ll shift the attention to you later and you can then tell them all you want about yourself, dad’s business…………as in the case of this gentlemen, and still achieve his selfish ambitions without the lady losing interest). I will also like to add that the average Nigerian woman is so money consious and it has rubbed off on the men, who now believe that they have to impress with money to get a woman interested, so I do blame such men. He won’t be talking and be so passionate about his dad’s wealth if he thought it won’t get him results, he’s probably tried it with so many women and it worked, so why re-invest the wheel.

88. Berry

October 12, 2010 at 12:51 am

Thank you Bella. This needed to be said. When i make such comments, people tell me i am judgmental. So, thank you again.

89. modee

March 16, 2011 at 11:55 am

u got me with dis one…its old bt its still so tru….someone plz hand des guys giant size feedin bottles cuz dts all dey r BABIES

90. Tr

January 29, 2013 at 11:20 am

Kinda late to comment here but i was going through old posts today i i saw this 1.i really like ur articles & this is a good piece too however am a bit concerned. Biola might have been freakin annoyin talkin about his dad’s wealth but i believe that they are some young men out there who are workin for their father’s company bcos they were raised to take over the company once the dad retired (whether voluntary or not). and yes i do believe that everybody should have their own ambitious dream but may be some men/women’s dream is to take over the family’s empire. & actually these heirs might have a vision for the company and also be better at running it. so i don’t think such pple should be completely written off unless of course they are like Biola