Music

BN On The Radio: Wana Udobang – Inspiration FM 92.3

Obafemi Awolowo.

Wole Soyinka.

Gani Fawehinmi.

Ken Saro-Wiwa.

Wana Udobang.

Is there an odd name on the list?

Yes? No? We’ll see about that.

When change is a yardstick, there are different types of people. The ones who buzz through life without really changing much but being changed themselves. And there are those people who virtually ache to make a difference — we can call them the change-makers.

You see, the dream of every true journalist is to be a voice for what is good and right (and all that good stuff). In essence, to be a voice and a force for change. Our fourth Extraordinary On-Air Personality is more than just a lovely voice on the radio, she is a change-maker.

Meet Wana.

EOAP No. 4

On-Air Name: Wana-wana

Real Name: Wana Udobang

Radio Station: Inspiration FM 92.3

Meeting Wana every time is a refresher on being socially conscious. It is indeed refreshing having to meet someone who is not just content to get by. In all her straight faced honesty, she evokes an image of a modern day Amina of Zazzau, or a Moremi of Ife or even more recently, a Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti.

It would be easy to get distracted from the true content of who Wana really is, with her simple answers such as this, “I host the breakfast show with Dan Foster in the morning. I’m his co-host. I do that Mondays to Fridays then on Sundays from 12pm to 6pm I host the “Sunday Brunch” and during the Sunday brunch is a show called “Beyond The Music” which is from 4 to 5pm

Mundane? Maybe.

You’ll see why in a bit.

She studied broadcast journalism at the University College for The Creative Arts and graduated with First Class honors (our people like to hear that). And that is right where our story begins. Armed with this enviable degree, she had big dreams and stars in her eyes.  She had plans of a Master’s at the London Film and Television School and she would thereafter begin her crusade for what is right. “…(I thought) I would re-incarnate Micheal Winterbottom’s eye and merge it with a certain kind of Nick Bloomfield curiosity. I would become a national conscious treasure and my people would be proud

With that at the back of her mind, she began her consciousness crusade with what she thought would be groundbreaking — The proposed Indecent Dressing bill. “I had pitched an idea to them (BBC Four) about the  indecent dressing bill in Nigeria which certain people  in power had been trying  to pass as a piece of legislation.”  She got the go-ahead, flew back home, took the interviews required and got all that she needed. However, at the last minute, the documentary/news feature got shot down because of sound technicalities. This was her first immersion (call it baptism, if you will) into reality.

She didn’t get deterred though, at least not by much. She produced a number of moving pieces, some with very touching and personal accounts — an example of which is her piece on Domestic Violence in Nigeria. After a bit, she moved back home. “…Somewhere along the line, I successfully became jaded. I packed all two suitcases of my life’s belongings and hopped on a plane to Nigeria…

Shortly after her return she got employed at Inspiration FM. “I eventually got a gig as a radio personality on the airwaves. I couldn’t even read the newspapers because every article was paid for.” Even though it was a job on the radio like she had always wanted it, there were things amiss. It was not as a social voice like she had initially envisioned it to be. “I cried many nights after I came back, because I felt I was a failure.

With over 18 months of experience  on the radio, she’s been able to come to a balance between her innate journalistic inclinations and what pays the bills. “…Even when there’s something for listeners to discuss, I try to make sure it’s something that they can think about afterwards, and not just the mindless things they’ll forget about.

On a parting note, her very own words cannot be more apt. “I know a fair amount of people listen to me and I hope that when they listen I touch their lives constructively, I help them and make them think. I love opening people’s horizons to new things beyond what they know. So whatever I’ve learnt in life I hope I can transfer that to them and just open peoples minds to things around them

1. shade

September 2, 2010 at 9:31 am

I love Wana! really cool peoples. and great interview BN… I particularly like the reality of the comment “coming to a balance between her journalistic inclinations and what pays the bills.” It is the reality for most people. I guess we gotta keep pushing. You give me hope Wana wana…

@ BN, it appears that there is a “We” missing from the question “What have missed that you’d want featured in the next installment?”

2. Aibee

September 2, 2010 at 10:17 am

I love Wana Wana. She gut the husky voice that men can’t seem to get enough of (I’m female, BTW). She’s one of my fave people on radio.
    We all try to strike a balance between our social crusading inclinations and what pays the bills. However, we must not lose our sense of self and justice and right & wrong.
    Go girl, you rock.

3. fokasibe

September 2, 2010 at 10:36 am

Hahahaha! You know why I’m laffing!

4. fokasibe

September 2, 2010 at 10:37 am

I love wana wana, especially her sunday brunch show!Lovely to put a face to the name and especially the lovely voice….Wana rocks!!!

5. Alfie

September 2, 2010 at 10:48 am

Wana is a kick ass chick…no chick doesn’t quite cover it… femme fatal is taking it a bit far but you know what I mean, As Aibee said….You rock! Met her once and the conversation was amazing, it aint often you meet open, fun, true people like that. What ever it is your doing me lady…keep it up

6. MO

September 2, 2010 at 11:06 am

wana is one of the reason i listen to Inspiration FM.
    she is very good at what she does.
    one of the most intelligent,african and truely naija ve seen in along time among the trained abroud OAP in the country.
    go girl.u re d best

7. feyoji

September 2, 2010 at 11:37 am

i love wana wana. she’s fun and very real. she also has a calming personality. keep it up, girl. i may meet you one day. you make me laff so hard.

8. Hotchocolate

September 2, 2010 at 11:46 am

she doesn’t look anything like the sound of her voice!!!! wow u go girl!!1

9. iphee

September 2, 2010 at 11:57 am

Our wana wana!

10. akindele dare

September 2, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Wanna you are the best,keep it uo

11. justsaying

September 2, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Wana wana…very cool and fun chic! For me, she’s the best female on air personality. She keeps it real…she is not like the other female on air personalities that think they have to speak fone for them to speak good english. I like it when she impersonate other voices…like the calabar accent. They should please bring her back with Dan Foster, I think she was more utilized on that show than her show with Chaz B though she is already rubbing some of her niceness on him. Go Wana Wana

12. Julzz

September 2, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Uwana-dem is one of THEeEee most down to earth being I’ve ever met…God bless Wana!

13. Jide Talabi

September 2, 2010 at 8:31 pm

It’s been an honour and privilege to know Uwana. She’s a great person, aside her well of knowledge of all things entertainment. She’s always an interesting person to be with. And I can say that she’s also a great cook as well.

14. Linda

September 3, 2010 at 2:05 am

Hmmmm….donno this OAP! For me it’s Matse, Gbemi,Toolz and Tosyn Bucknor. Anyways, will pay more attention. Pls Bella when are we seeing Gbemi and Tosyn?

15. temi

September 3, 2010 at 4:06 am

wana is the best OAP. shes funny, extremely intelligent and down to earth. i swear she knows about almost everything on earth..shes a walking wikipedia. i prefer her to the other OAPs especially the janded ones. to me, they dont have substance like wana does. keep doing ur thing wana

16. Bj

September 3, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Wana rocks. She’s humble and simple. also a hard worker. respect gurl !!!!

17. glory edozien

September 3, 2010 at 2:13 pm

My girl Wanaaaaa….permit me to say i HEART thee 🙂

18. NK

September 3, 2010 at 9:12 pm

wans, remember when we questioned the move bk to naija? well, looks like it was the right decision… ur doing bad all by urself…keep it up girl. xoxo

19. pam

September 4, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Wana manages to be warm, smart, and down to earth. as well as rather pretty. Im glad she came home. Bella Naija well done and keep the profiles coming. there arent many avenues feature young women on the up and up…

20. Linda

September 5, 2010 at 5:37 am

Seems to me it’s wana’s personal friends that are commenting here. We can only tell how good she is when the neutral people/listeners say their honest comments.

• oju

September 6, 2010 at 8:29 am

Well, Linda…i don’t know her from Adam and I LOVE her!!!what’s your point?!

21. Aderonke |Adeboye

September 6, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I have met Wana only once but it seemed i have know her all my life. D first time i heard her on radio, i just knew dis is lady is going to be very big very soon and i had no choice but just connect with her. She gave me my best birthday present when she called me on my Birthday even though i had not met her then. Girl, you know i love u and i ga your back. Just know this when you have the feeling no one is listening to you on radio -which is not possible but in-case….just know that ADERONKE will be listening. love u always GURL!Weldone BN!

22. obi

October 9, 2010 at 5:19 pm

This is a lady that trips me each time i listen to inspiration fm. very intelligent with high level of wisdom in managing whatever she has to say. i tried calling into their programme to appreciate her but never succeeded. i each time wondered who she is, but now i can see. A learned lady! she makes all the difference.

23. Princesslizzy

October 20, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Wana,Wana what can l say l enjoy every bit of you on radio from Dan Foster to Chaz B traffic Show,l will only wish you the best,and your best days are ahead of you,the Lord has just started with you,when the Lord was making you,He was just showing you off. Hope to meet you one day. Love yah

24. yeaisaidit

October 21, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Wansie Pansie!! You are a true inspiration!! I am glad to see you are getting your props!! I love you and miss our Leeville days! 😉

25. Odey

May 4, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Wana u deserve an award 4 a job welldone.u are d best

26. Yemi

July 3, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Wana!!! Wana!!!!!! Eeh, GoooOD to see what U loOK like. U’re lovely though different from what I had in mind. Really U guys on 92.3 are doing a marvelous job! U’re awesome. Thanks 4 being an inspiration. GoD BLESS YOU!!!!

27. CHRIS OKOROAFOR

March 13, 2012 at 5:23 pm

WANA-WANA HAS PROVEN TO GENDER INEQUALITY ADVOCATES THAT THERE IS
    EQUAL OPPORTUNITY IN THE LAND. ONLY THE CHICKEN LADIES KEEP
    MENTIONING A NON-EXISTENT INJUSTICE.

28. Femi

June 11, 2012 at 1:25 am

WANA-WANA You are a rare Gem, full of love. I am addicted listening to you voice everyday. Your voice sooths. I love you.Just keep up the good work!

29. hendrix

August 2, 2012 at 12:56 pm

wana,u people dont want to take over the air wave here in abuja? since i relocate to abuja i am not found of listening or glueing to my radio as i use to when i was in lagos.listening to inspiration FM is adict to me but i am
    under control cheers

30. Kate ezeoku

March 2, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Wanawana,u r one in a million,so real on radio,we luv u,keep it up

31. jovi

July 15, 2014 at 9:08 am

wana is good at what she does,thumbs up for her.

32. grace

July 16, 2014 at 12:05 pm

your beautiful and i love all your programmes.shine on