News

CNN’s i-List heads to Nigeria – As Nigeria gears up to celebrate 50 years of independence

BellaNaija.com

Week-long coverage anchored by Isha Sesay features interviews, countrywide reports from Christian Purefoy and Nima Elbagir plus viewer videos

CNN brings its i-list series to Nigeria from 27th September as Inside Africa presenter Isha Sesay anchors live from Africa’s most populous country and second largest economy in the run-up to the country’s celebration of 50 years of independence.

Sesay fronts the week of coverage live from Lagos, delving into its dynamic industries and diverse cultures through a series of interviews with guests from the world of politics, business and pop culture interspersed with reports and stories from CNN’s correspondents Christian Purefoy and Nima Elbagir.

CNN looks at the challenges and opportunities for Nigeria as it prepares for general elections in January. The political landscape, economic growth, unemployment, corruption, religious and ethnic tensions and violence and land ownership all come under the microscope during the week.

i-List Nigeria looks at how Africa’s largest oil and gas producer is tackling power shortages and environmental issues, recent reforms in the banking industry and strenuous efforts to restore investor confidence. There are also stories about the thriving mobile communications industry in Nigeria. For major providers it is an enormous market and the primary way to access the internet. For the informal economy, entrepreneurs are finding innovative ways to setup and support small businesses.

Fashion, music and film from also feature during the week as we focus on the entrepreneurial spirit of those living in the mega-city of Lagos. Another big business in Nigeria is wigs and weaves; i-List looks into the colourful story of roadside barbers and celebrity hairdressers.

The week also features the traditional yam festivals celebrated throughout August and September in Nigeria and West Africa. We highlight the scientific work being done at the world-respected International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, to protect the yam and in doing so, the region’s culture and economy.

The programming culminates with the 50th anniversary of Nigeria’s independence, looking at its past achievements and exploring the challenges ahead.

“Our i-List series showcases nations, people and places – those having an impact inside and outside their borders – and brings our viewers a fresh insight into these countries that are shaping the international community. i-List Nigeria promises to be an interesting case study of the African nation as a barometer of the continent’s wealth and progress.” says Mike McCarthy, vice president of coverage and feature programming for CNN International.

CNN is asking viewers to submit their pictures and videos about Nigeria to iReport at www.ireport.com/ilist and the best will be used on-air and online as part of the week-long programming.

This latest installment of i-List continues a global journey which to date has included Bahrain, France, Georgia, Macedonia, Poland and Oman.

About CNN’s i-List
The i-List highlights innovation and influence in industry, business, technology, culture and more, from a list of destinations that combines the familiar with the unfamiliar. i-List Nigeria is the seventh in the series, with France, Bahrain, Georgia, Macedonia, Poland and Oman profiled in earlier instalments this year.

Transmission times

From Monday 27th September 2010
Isha Sesay will be fronting live reports from Lagos into CNN International’s primetime programming throughout the week from 15:00 until 21:00 each day (local time).

Saturday 2nd October 2010
The week wraps with a half-hour special highlights programme Saturday 2nd at 14:00, 20:00; Sunday 3rd at 12:00, 20:30, Monday 4th at 03:00, Tuesday 5th at 12:30 and 17:30.

1. WaleAdeniji

September 27, 2010 at 1:36 pm

What are we celebrating? Can somebody please tell me? Is it craters on our roads or erratic power supply? Is it corruption or what? Could someone please tell CNN to remain where they are because there is really nothing to celebrate. A fool at 50 years is as good as a fool for life.

• Musings of Ewa

September 27, 2010 at 2:26 pm

lol @ a fool at 50…
      yeah, the celebration is a bit iffy

• ibiso

September 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Thanks my brother,well said,a man in his fifties and nothing to show has a long way to go.

• Adenitan Lawrence

September 27, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Haba Wale, you think right. The fact that Nigeria still remain ONE even after 50 year worth celebrating. All the same lets appreciate what we have and celebrates. Who know after the celebration regular power supply, good network of road and other stuff to make life better will follow. Lets join hands after this 50 to KILL Mr CORRUPTION by FIRE by FORCE not by GUN.

2. Geekgirl

September 27, 2010 at 2:04 pm

screw this baseless and stupid celebrations!!mchewww

3. Musings of Ewa

September 27, 2010 at 2:28 pm

…craters on our roads got me rolling on the floor 🙂

4. sasha

September 27, 2010 at 2:55 pm

What’s there to celebrate? Nigerians behave!

5. ABC

September 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Exactly @ Wale. You make a very good point! I wonder what we are celebrating. Nigeria has alot to fix up before they can really celebrate and be a proud citizens. They will be popping champagne to NEPA and bad roads *rolling eyes* — nothing to be proud of Nigeria. Not for a long time…
    God help Nigeria.

6. Jay

September 27, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Its because of people like you we are not moving forward. I would say we are celebrating the beginning of a new Nigeria. If you guys keep thinking like this then would we ever move forward? NO so stop and think before you talk.. Ghezz.. Am sure you guys are older then me oh sad times.. ‘We’ the future of Nigeria would make a difference.

• Uche Ajene

September 27, 2010 at 4:40 pm

It is not because of people who question what we are celebrating that Nigeria is not moving forward. Rather Nigeria is not moving forward because people are celebrating failures and excusing mediocrity instead of questioning the madness.
      Nigeria at 50 is WORSE than Nigeria at zero, this is NOTHING to celebrate. This is not worth spending how ever many billions we are spending. I’ll repost something I woke up this morning ranting on twitter about:

Fellow Nigerians! What are you celebrating Nigeria at 50 for? 3 days before independence & at least 10,000 of us won’t see it because they will die for no reason. So again I ask, what exactly are we celebrating? We’ve been held hostage by illiterate greedy thieves for yrs & we seem to be choosing the same type of leaders again. We do not have basic necessities, steady food supply, clean water, affordable shelter, security or consistent electricity, but we celebrate? We keep leaving everything to God, deluding ourselves that we’re a great nation. People faith without works is dead, we can’t just say that we are great, when we do nothing to make it great and allow people to use our nation as their personal playgrounds. We have to do something! Before you know it Chad & Benin Republic will surpass us. We can’t think being immigrants (going abroad for school or work) is the best life to have. When I was born, Naira was stronger than the dollar, people moved back here en masse. We had everything! Now look at the state of our nation! Fellow Nigerians I urge you NOT to celebrate on Oct 1! We have nothing in the world to celebrate! Wear black & mourn! Mourn for the stolen future our children will not have; for the thousands of Nigerians who have died for no reason. Don’t celebrate a mess. Most people @50 have accomplished & learned something. [email protected] just look at us! Oh yeah, I say all that to say, register to vote, camapign for who you want & VOTE danm it! Your vote definitely won’t count in your pocket.

I echo Wale and others when I ask what exactly are we celebrating? I am angry that this is the Nigeria I live in. What isn’t an issue in Nigeria these days? CHOLERA is still killing thousands in this day and age for crying out loud. CHOLERA!!!! Cholera was a pandemic in the 1800’s! Despite Nigerians being the best and brightest doctors worldwide, Nigeria has the second highest maternity mortality rate in the world! That means a woman giving birth in Burundi or Rwanda has a better chance of surviving than her counterpart in Lagos. How many children who have completed primary school still speak incomplete english? heck how many of their teachers even know how to conjugate a verb properly? How many Nigerians still adopt zero one zero or zero zero one as their eating habits? And we are celewhat???? What future do we have when the over 80% of Nigeria’s children are hungry, sick, uneducated and living in abject poverty?
      We can have hope for the future without condoning (via celebration) the mess of our immediate past and our present.

• Ginika

September 28, 2010 at 10:46 am

It vexes my spirit, the reality and the sadness; however it is up to us. I dream of a day when we will get a visionary leader/president who will want change as much as we all do and will go ahead to invite all Nigerians all over the world to come back home and help him in building a new nation. I fear that the idea will only work if we get a few leaders in a couple of states including the President to want that change. If that happens, change will be accelerated!

• packyabags

October 1, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Sweet and succinct, now hope the so-called leaders are listening. Its a sad story right now and hope it changes.

7. ABC

September 27, 2010 at 3:54 pm

There is being positive and being realistic!! Even Ghana, as small as the country is – is on another level to Nigeria. So until the corruption stops, then we can being to be on the way to being a ‘great’ nation. For now…’we’ the future of Nigeria, have to better Nigeria by eliminating all the poor management that Nigeria is facing now. So until then, we need to be realistic…Nigeria has a long way to go until we are as good as other nations! . We can hope forever ,but we have to put all things into action.

8. fel

September 27, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Nigeria has got a lot to celebrate. 1 world’s 41st biggest economy, world’s second biggest movie industry, three massive political miscalculations (annulment of June 12, etc.) yet survived them, World’s biggest black country, freedom of the press, freedom to make money, etc!!!!. Do not worry. all these evil leaders are about to be sent out of the scene. Peace, justice and massive development is on its way. Be hopeful. God is with us.

9. Boniface

September 27, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I can’t believe at 50 we are stil having 70% of our people living below poverty rate. May God have mercy on all these evil leaders that brought this shame to us.

• joseph

October 1, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Hehe! So you are actually praying for them, abi? Well,its not as if curses will work on them or even if they will maybe not now as God always takes revenge last.

So they may collect their “hard-earned(hehe)” reward when they die so whats the use when they have gbaladun finish? Even if God wants to revenge on their kids the enormous wealth they have will still cushion them a little. Anyway, make dem carry go

Anyhow,

10. Reggy

September 27, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Celebration is fantastic! I will celebrate only when the level of corruption, unemployment, kidnapping etc in Nigeria drop dramatically. The image of Nigeria in world stage increase dramatically. When Nigerian leaders look after those they lead both in Nigeria and abroad…and a lot of other issues too large to list. Maybe, 50 years of independence will be a big u-turn for Nigerians.

11. Hangout

September 27, 2010 at 8:05 pm

You all that condemn Nigeria are fools.. Don’t ask people what they are celebrating, instead ask yourself what you have done for your country.. I have been to the U.S twice and I have always had to work for the U.S (As a lifeguard and in Alaska) and pay lots of tax. When you are asked to pay tax in Nigeria, you make the greatest noise. How many of you can work as a BRT driver.. If a musician is trying to make money with the little he can sing, you all sit on your chairs you bought on credit (Those in the U.S) and compare them to American artist and expect them to make those kind of “soljaboy or nicki minaj” music you listen to.
    I am not saying that we have achieved much but at least we have and it not by building a millions of skyscrapers and magic cars.. Many are frustrated in foreign countries than they were in Nigeria. So don’t sit and ask what they are celebrating. Just be positive and positive things will come your way. Don’t let go your real you before you find yourself being enslaved. I know many that are in foreign countries and still get financial support from the same Nigeria they are condemning.. Peace

• Uche Ajene

September 27, 2010 at 9:01 pm

You make many assumptions about those who are asking what there is to celebrate this independence day. You assume that those asking are condemning Nigeria, that we live outside of Nigeria and that we don’t pay taxes in Nigeria. You’re talking about inconsequential things that don’t matter to the average Nigerian like musicians/performers and others have pointed out the basic human needs that the average Nigerian is being deprived of. It makes me wonder who the actual fool is.

12. Reggy

September 27, 2010 at 8:55 pm

People are not condeming Nigeria for nothing. What effort and mechanisms have the authorities in Nigeria put in place to collect tax from people except for those who are in government employment? You think there would not have been not only corruption but also massive stealing in the developed countries if measures to check these frauds are not in place. I am sure if Nigerians pay heavy tax but reap all the good benefits from the tax they pay, they would not mind it. How many times do people who live in America and other developed countries where good mechanisms for collecting tax from citizens experience power cut or dry running water tap?

• Hangout

September 28, 2010 at 4:43 am

I want you to ask yourself again… What have you done for that Nigeria? I am curious to know and If I may ask are you currently in Nigeria? If you are not, why denting the image of those who are trying to celebrate. I have faced racism in the states which I have never faced in Nigeria which is a plus, I have laughed like never before in Nigeria which is a plus, I love my mum and dad cos they are both Nigerians another plus, I know how to dance galala and swo/alanta. Do these things cross your mind? Please, say good things about the country where you’re from and people will know how much you love your country. You will never feel comfortable with a mother that adopted you no matter how rich she is. So preach good things and good things will come your way, in order for you to help others and the country at large. It’s not like I’m not aware of all the negative things you guys are listing but I remain positive so that my children and those to come will enjoy what I couldn’t. Like it or not the budget has been made and it will be a success. Ask yourself one more question. How did the likes of Aliko Dangote make it? Can’t you work as hard as he works or be as smart as he is and stay on top of the game? Love you all..

13. tobi

September 27, 2010 at 9:03 pm

@Hangout..u awesome!!..i thought no one would find something reasonable to say. Keep it up!

14. Nigeria News Addict

September 27, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Wow. The i-List program schedule on Nigeria seems truely thorough in all ramfications. Indeed, maybe more thorough a documentation than our own local organisers are planning at the moment. I wonder though, if there will be massive interactive opportunities by phone/SMS, Internet, Facebook, etc, while the program runs? We the Nigerian people definitely have a lot to say about this 50th anniversary “celebration”, that the world needs to hear.

15. D.O.T.M.H.

September 28, 2010 at 12:27 am

Mmscheeeeeew, I’M ANGRY!! I’m angry at the celebrations, I’m angry at the budget for the celebrations, I’m angry at the people who will feed fat off this budget, I’m angry at the lack of conscience and shame, I’m angry at the waste, I’m angry at so many other things. I’m angry at Nigeria, I’m angry at Africa. Why can’t we just… burst forth? So much to be done, I’m tempted to ask what we are celebrating. I just feel like other countries are laughing at us.

• Ginika

September 28, 2010 at 10:42 am

I feel your anger, everyone of them but because I am a hopeless optimist I believe change will come! if you even as much as open a tap to drip in an area, it is just a matter of time for it to form an ocean; except someone is fetching watch from the lil pond being created! It is indeed up to us. There are alot of us willing to change and wanting to change things but it seems almost impossible esp. when you think of where to start and that people are continually fetching water from our pond!

16. fokasibe

September 28, 2010 at 9:54 am

RUBBISH!!! Nigerians should set up think-tanks and discuss how best to move the country forward, instead of wasting our resources on frivolous uncalled for celebrations. Kai! I can’t sleep to think of how many people, families, that would be made for life after the celebrations spanning from the faux contracts that would be awarded….SMH

17. omogekofo

September 28, 2010 at 11:07 am

ha ha ha, now i know people can actually write an encyclopedia on bella naija……. lol.
    goes a long way to show the grief of the people.
    BABA GOD COME TO OUR RESCUE.
    if division is the answer, let us divide. *don’t crucify me*

18. Ola

September 28, 2010 at 11:12 am

Hangout and Tobi, you guys are very reasonable and appreciative ppl. These naysayers are the same ones who oppose everything optimists try to do. Let’s do LIGHT UP NAIJA.. they respond “NO!!! it won’t work”. Ok then, how about fighting corruption together… they respond “NO!!! it won’t work and I don’t want to die. I would rather bribe a policeman then get my particulars in order”. Ok then, let’s vote on election day… they respond “NO!!! it’s a waste of time. Let the area boys do it”. Ok then, let’s fight for a fair election…. they respond “NO!!! I don’t have time for that. I want to go shopping”. Ok then, let’s celebrate the country that have given most of us wonderful and unique childhood. A country that still holds enormous potential despite the stress and strain cause by both the government and the people. A country can still feed its citizens, unlike a lot of other countries around the world, despite its troubles. A country that is the base of a lot of prominent people of this world (Denizens and Diapora). A country that produce some of the best minds of the world. A country that has trained you to adapt to conditions where ever you are on this earth. A country that have thought you to laugh and celebrate regardless. A country that just needs a little love and care from its people and government. . . . What did you expect the naysayers to say? NO!!! of course. It is their way of life. They do not wish to achieve anything for the country, for they are only interested in self glorification and pointless ranting.

Let me make one thing clear to you naysayers… this country has survived despite: internal and external enemies, stupid ethnic power struggles, coup d’etat, harassment from western media, over 200 ethnic group etc. You stated that 70% of population is under the poverty line… hmmm by whose standard? did you go out there to do the research before spilling lies under the guise of scientific fact. What mathematical methods did you use? …. no answer? thought so. How many ppl have you tried to help out of poverty? Having said that, I do agree that there is poverty in the country and the government (AND THE PEOPLE) needs to deal with this. However, let me make it clear to you that we are still better off than a lot of countries. Though India is growing economically, it is home 420 million destitutes which is more than the combination of the poor in 26 African nations!!! (citation… study done by IMF in conjunction with Indian cooperators). Only few people are getting rich fast. The country has the highest number of malnourished ppl in the whole wide world. A lot of its farmers commit suicides. We should be grateful that most Nigerians still eat. Also, how many Nigerians do you know would commit suicide? Give thanks to God for that.
    People in Ethiopia die from hunger in numbers that dwarfs that of other African nations… some believe they give Africa a bad image for that reason. Their government is just as corrupt most other countries (including Nigeria) and quite useless too. YET, an Ethiopian is proud to be one. That is true patriotism. Some funny nigerians here in the US were afraid to say they are Nigerians after Farouk incident. True patriotism indeed. These bad eggs are always ready to bastardize the country with their thoughtless and shameful words just to save face. I really do not see much difference between them and politicians.

Development of a country is team work between the government and its people. Before you start ranting about the government make sure your hands are busy developing the country; else, fem LA GRANDE BUSH…. hold your tongue.

On the first of October, I would like to give thanks to God for Nigeria and what he has and will do for the country. I would also want to thank him for wonderful and inspiring people he has blessed the nation with. I want to pray to him to strengthen very one of us and give each individual direction and his grace. Then praise him and celebrate for answered prayers. It also a good time to recognize a few of the plethoria of talents God has given us. Talents like, Onyeka, Sonny Okosu, KSA, Wole Soyinka, Achibe, Chimamanda, ASA, the internet/computer genius, fine artists, great business moguls, doctors, scientists, Pastor Adeboye (prophet), academic excellence (nigerians are the most educated group in America did you know that?), BellaNaija of course 🙂 etc.
    You naysayers and older generation can sit and lick your wounds. However,
    we the new generation are celebrating what is to come, because we know it will be victorious. Before Paul and Silas got their freedom, they DANCED. Before the walls of Jericho fell down flat, the Israelites celebrated and praised God. The naysayers and talkative were told to keep their opinions to themselves. This celebration is about the wind of change, in which we show our love for our country and make it known to the enemies of progress we will stand in unity to fight them off. WE MUST BEGINNING THE END OF CORRUPTION WITH A BAND NOT A WHISPER!!!

• Zaine

September 28, 2010 at 7:37 pm

*clapping hands*

• olamide

October 1, 2010 at 4:07 pm

So because people die of hunger in India, people suffering in NIGERIA don’t matter? Good logic **clapping hands**

19. Ola

September 28, 2010 at 11:13 am

Sorry for the long write up.

20. Ola

September 28, 2010 at 11:26 am

one more thing. CNN never has anything good to say about Nigeria so don’t get your hopes up.

21. justsaying

September 28, 2010 at 11:41 am

Why can’t we be hopeful for our nation. We keep saying a fool at 50 is a fool forever…please keep in mind Nigeria is a nation and not human. A nation at 50 is still very young and has a lot of development to do. Please do not compare Nigeria to America who gained her independence in 1776 or other nations who gained independence in early 1900s and 1800s. Yes we are still backward in so many ways no doubt. Nigeria has been raped and looted by bad leaders and bad governance but I believe and know it is time for Nigeria to shine, Jubilee means release and i know the time for her to be released into her greatness is now. Changes have been occurring in the last year and it definitely shows as a sign. So many of you that are condemning Nigeria, how many of you really do pray for her or have done something to bring about a positive change? We are told to pray for the land where we dwell so it may be well with us. I agree no cause for celebration especially all the millions going onto this independence when 70% still live below poverty (less than $1/day) rate. Let’s all stand up and be hopeful and be a partaker of something positive. Election is coming up, go out, cast your vote and let your vote count.

22. Shehu, Yero Gajo

September 28, 2010 at 5:56 pm

@Uche Ejene, Ohh Uche how unfortunate and sadistically pessimistic you are. you thinkin’ defy every reasoning, it defies even the law of gravity that literally means “everything that goes up must come down”. NAIJA IS, NAIJA WILL BE AND NAIJA IS BECOMIN TILL ETERNITY!! HURRAY!! MA FATHERLAND IS CELEBRATING 50!!! G o to blazes for all I CARE!!

23. Muhammed

September 28, 2010 at 8:56 pm

To me we have nothing to celebrate,is it that we want to help our ruler to use this 50years of independence to steal our treasuries, while we do not have good roads ,no good medical care, our children are sitting on floor in our primary and secondary schools with over population in classes, while there children are studying abroad or isolated school when they completed there education with third class job is waiting for them, with your first class you will be roaming the street looking for job sometime you end up doing going in town.please let us not deceive our self.

24. Omada

September 29, 2010 at 12:39 am

Uche just saw you on CNN! kudos girl, Bellanaija is going places & you deserve the recognition.

25. As

September 29, 2010 at 3:29 am

I agree. We do not have anything to celebrate. It’s like giving a child money and celebrating when they get a D in class. Please!!!!! I love my Naija but we need to wake up and fast!!

26. johnson

September 29, 2010 at 10:33 am

We want CNN to help up cover the story of kidnapping here in Aba Abia state is getting out of control.

27. tama

September 29, 2010 at 11:54 am

wish it was Amanpour doing this, you would so hate Nigeria…. the woman is so blunt and doesnt mince words

28. Zara

September 29, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Nigeria is the only country I know that derives so much joy in celebrating failure. Those claiming one of the reasons to celebrate is “one Nigeria.” One Nigeria you say? If Nigeria is One then how come an Easterner can’t live in peace in the North?

29. Reggy

September 29, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Can 50 years bring a turning point for Nigeria and Nigerians? I hope so. Some of the Governors in some States of Nigeria are doing fabulous work in their States. Nigerians should watch out for these cream of leaders and vote them in to take mantle of leadership at Federal level. All they need to do if voted in is to encourage Nigerians in Diaspora to come home….remember that the Nigerian building Iraq Railway network could to do same for his country-Nigeria. Other Nigerians have other potentials too, all they need is support.

30. BOKU 1

October 1, 2010 at 9:08 am

NIGERIA @ 50 Lest discuss the positive & negative aspect of this country called Nigeria

Nigeria is the 12th largest producer of petroleum in the world and the 8th largest exporter, and has the 10th largest proven reserves. Petroleum plays a large role in the Nigerian economy, accounting for 40% of GDP and 80% of Government earnings.
    Nigeria has one of the fastest growing telecommunications markets in the world, major emerging market operators (like MTN, Etisalat, Zain and Globacom) basing their largest and most profitable centers in the country. Nigeria has a space satellite which is monitored at the Nigerian National Space Research and Development Agency Headquarters in Abuja.Nigeria also has a wide array of underexploited mineral resources which include natural gas, coal, bauxite, tantalite, gold, tin, iron ore, limestone, niobium, lead and zinc.

It also has a manufacturing industry which includes leather and textiles (centered Kano, Abeokuta, Aba, Onitsha, and Lagos), car manufacturing (for the French car manufacturer Peugeot as well as for the English truck manufacturer Bedford, now a subsidiary of General Motors), t-shirts, plastics and processed food.

The country has recently made considerable amount of revenue from home made Nigerian Movies which are sold locally and Internationally. These movies are popular in other African countries and among African immigrants in Europe.

Since joining the United Nations in 1960, Nigeria has consistently committed itself to the cause of peacekeeping and peacemaking. She sent her first troops to participate in the UN peace mission in the Congo, only days after its independence. In World Citizen, a former advisor to Presidents Kennedy, Johnson and Carter, Prof. Ruth Morgenthau says of Nigeria “is among the most committed countries to maintaining the degree of international order that the present UN decision making process permits.”

Today, Nigeria leads the world in international peacekeeping. Of the 80 countries contributing troops to over 20 global operations, Nigeria has more than 6,500 men keeping the peace outside its borders in places such as Bosnia Herzgovena, Iraq, Kuwait, Western Sahara, Liberia, Angola, Rwanda. Nigerian troops have also served in Somalia, Mozambique and Cambodia, The Congo, Chad, Lebanon, India, Pakistan (Kashmir). The key thing in global peacekeeping are the men and women risking their lives in the interest of peace. Nigeria has more of those people than any other country in the world.

Nigeria won the African Cup of Nations in 1980 and 1994, and also hosted the Junior World Cup. They won the gold medal for football in the 1996 Summer Olympics (in which they beat powerhouse in world football like Argentina & Brazil). Nigeria has produced international stars in the game of football notable J-J -Okocha (Africa most skillful footballer of all time) Nwankwo Kanu who remains Nigeria’s most decorated footballer of all times with so many laurels to his name. He was also a member of the Nigerian national team for 16 years from 1994 until 2010. Kanu has won a UEFA Champions League medal, a UEFA Cup medal, three FA Cup trophies. Winners Medals and two African Player of the Year awards among others. He is also one of few players to have won the Premier League and was among the Arsenal squad of 2003-2004 season going unbeaten for all 38 games which make’s Him the only African player to achieve this success.He led Nigeria’s Dream Team to an Olympic Gold Medal at the Atlanta’96 Olympic Games. He is also a UNICEF ambassador. Nigeria are also involved in other sports such as basketball, cricket and track and field. Boxing is also an important sport in Nigeria; Dick Tiger and Samuel Peter are both former World Champions.

Negative:
    The Nigeria of today is always remembered in the Negative aspect which is derived from the bad government we have had for 50years.Illiteracy has been the main problem of Nigeria as majority of its citizen are neither ignorant of the 21st century or stack illiterate. African most populous black nation cannot boast of good road and other social amenities needed in a developing country. Nigeria has never celebrated 24hr steady power supply for 50YEARS which you can find in tiny African country and still we are Giant of Africa.Nigeria cannot boast of 1 standard international airport. Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja & Murtala Muhammed International Airport Lagos are not up to world standard airport in international rating We are still Giant of Africa.

Crime
    Nigeria is home to a substantial network of organized crime.Internationally, Nigeria is infamous for a crime dubbed 419, a type of advance fee fraud (named after Section 419 of the Nigerian Penal Code) along with the “Nigerian scam”, a form of confidence trick practiced by individuals and criminal syndicates.the Nigerian Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (or EFCC) was created to combat this and other forms of organized financial crime.The problem of Nigeria is not 419 and EFCC cannot solve the problem of 419 because of unemployment. If this so called scammers are to give up there God given opportunity of livelihood what will be there faith? Are they going to be offered employment?

Kidnapping has been a very common crime in Nigeria especially in the Eastern part of the country. recently Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers on Monday 27th September 2010 hijacked a school bus conveying 15 pupils of Abayi International School, Osisioma Ngwa-Aba to their school and took them to an unknown destination.

As an ordinary Nigerian who have had the opportunity of leaving abroad I feel ashamed to identify myself as a Nigerian sorry to say this because the name Nigeria in the foreign world represent a suspect-criminal without trial ,but I still believe that if our leader want I repeat if they want Nigeria can still be the USA of Africa. PRESIDENT JONATHAN should focus on the main problem of Nigeria which is electricity and creating jobs for millions of Nigerians and job seekers in Nigeria and abroad.

Lets exercise our freedom of speech as Nigerians to see if we can use our knowledge to contribute to the development of this country called Nigeria.

BOKU 1

31. Reggy

October 1, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Well done BOKU! Give Nigeria regular and constant electricity supply and running tap water….you will see the ingenuity of Nigerians in full swing. In fact, many Nigerians in Diaspora will bring their talents back to the country and Nigeria will move forward.