News

Please ‘Borrow’ Me 5 Naira

Glory Edozien

I have always hated mathematics. Always. Right from learning my multiplication tables in primary school to learning algebra in secondary school. I couldn’t think of a more pointless subject. Unlike English. I fell in love with English from the very start…‘a noun is the name of a person, an animal, place or thing’. I can never forget that phrase, the use of verbs but even more importantly the use of adjectives and the correct phrasing of sentences. I particularly remember how my English teacher stressed the difference between using the word borrow and loan in a sentence. I think subconsciously she might have been preparing us for the real world filled with borrowing and loans!

I’m not sure if the credit crunch is entirely to blame but everyone seems to be borrowing money these days. Now before you all pounce on me, let me state categorically that I do not think there is anything wrong with borrowing. In fact, I personally have borrowed off friends and family during hard times. So this article isn’t about that. But I think the most important part in the transaction of borrowing is the paying back. If I borrow 5 naira from Jibola Lawal our music editor, I must have intention of paying it back within a certain timeframe. Unfortunately this is a rule of thumb many borrowers have chosen to ignore, and it saddens me to say this, but females seem to be the biggest culprits of this crime.

Recently, a friend of mine told me of how he loaned N250,000 to a female friend of his. Apparently, she had called him up one day crying and asking him to please loan her money so she could make up her rent payment. Seeing as she was a friend, he willingly gave her a cheque for N250,000 on the premise that she would pay back in a few months when she had received her ‘upfront’ payments. That was 2 years ago. Up until about last week the lady in question had refused to pay him back the money. She had gone through every excuse in the book to avoid paying him back. From outrightly denying that he loaned her anything to claiming that he had given her the cash as a gift because they were dating at the time. According to my friend, he reminded her that they were never in a relationship (although he does admit that bedroom activities did take place, there was no commitment involved) and promised her that even if it took 5 years he would get back every kobo of his money.

Last week Thursday, while having drinks at a cozy spot in Lekki, my friend spotted the runaway borrower talking to a mutual friend. As he began to approach her, she noticed him coming towards her and made to walk away. So he snatched off her car keys which she had on a tag around her neck….and in that short moment the lion had finally caught his prey. My friend refused to hand the lady back her car keys until she had paid him back his money in full. He took the keys and sat down with his friends having drinks while the girl sent everyone in the bar to beg him. After over 2 hours of begging, he finally agreed that he would only release the keys if she signed an undertaking setting out the terms of the initial loan and the new terms of payment. Seeing that there was no longer any room to hide, she agreed, wrote out an undertaking as requested and signed it. Today she has dropped off a post-dated cheque for the full amount payable in July 2011.

Another friend of mine also told me about how he loaned a friend two thousand dollars. When time for payment came, she came to his house slept with him and never talked about the money again. Anytime he brought up the topic of repayment, she would say in a coy voice ‘but baby I have already paid you back!’

If I am honest, I actually feel a bit embarrassed when I hear such stories. In this century when women are fighting tooth and nail to stand as equals alongside their male counterparts, we still have these examples of women trying to ride on the coattails of their feminine ‘bedroom’ prowess. If you ask someone to loan you money, you should pay them back; it is really quite simple. You should not start using bedroom activity to dodge your creditor! Yes, we all know circumstances change and even though you may really have had the intention of paying back within a specified time frame, something can happen to completely alter that. But when that happens you should speak to the person in question and explain the situation. Truth is everyone needs cash, so taking someone’s money and jetsetting is quite unfair and selfish.

So here is an apology to all men out there who have generously loaned a female friend some cash only to receive ‘stories’ when time came for payment. Abeg make una no vex! And to my female culprits, be warned oh…these men are on to your schemes now! As my English teacher also taught us…. “everyday is for the thief, but one day is for the owner”.

Photo Credit: http://cdn.wn.com

Glory is the host and executive producer of Inspire Series, the web talk show which uses the collective stories of everyday women to inspire others. She believes women are https://www.canadianmeds4u.com/category/buy-antibiotics-online/ more than hand bags, hair, make-up and other externalities and is passionate about about pursuing purpose and living above societal conformities. She is also a day dreamer, and romantic at heart who loves TV, food and family. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @inspiredbyglory and read more from her on www.inspiredbyglory.com

1. ema

November 4, 2010 at 12:03 pm

lol!

2. ema

November 4, 2010 at 12:04 pm

please preach it oooooooo

3. Fiona philips

November 4, 2010 at 12:07 pm

What an interesting article,and it drives the message home.Well done Gloria.

• Amour

November 5, 2010 at 9:26 am

Nice article. I totally understand your point but whilst some people don’t like giving back, others sincerely do not have it to give back. 🙂

• angelsbeauty

November 12, 2010 at 10:43 pm

i say if you don’t have it to give back, don’t borrow it in the first place… not realistic.. but there are sooooooo many things people want and they can’t necessarily afford but they still go for. i think we should cut our coats according to our sizes.. lol including myself and only borrow what we can / intend to pay back 🙂

x

4. nekiss

November 4, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Nice article I must say. I am a lady and a victim of borrowers that dont want to pay and all these borrowers are female friends. but the one that annoys me most is about one of them who after borrowing N100,000 from me since last year has refused to pay back the loan. She doesnt even mention it and when i do she gets angry and rude. After much pressure last two months she managed to deposit N10,000 into my account and when I asked why she paid only N10,000 and that I am accepting it bcos she is the one involved, her response was that “will i kill somebody if it is another person, that there is nothing I can do”. I dont even know how to get back the remaining N90,000 and the loan is over a year now. Pls note that this lady is a working class lady not that she doesnt have the money just that she doesnt want to pay. Please let’s desist from this kind of life, it’s quite not fair. Please does anyone know the strategy I could use to get a better result. It hurts so badly whenever i remember it.

• mary007

November 4, 2010 at 5:55 pm

If I was in Nigeria i FOR HELP YOU. You would pay for my services but I will help you frustrate her till she has no hiding place everywhere she goes I will go, I did this for a couple of people before I left as no one goes with my money if they promised to pay moreso when I can see they can afford it, they must pay by fire by force. My method is simple embrass the person till they can no longer sleep. Forget friendship when the person pay we go resume friendship- end of story!

• Damola

November 4, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I dey feel you.. me as a bobo.. I don dey plan my own.. women no fit owe me sha.. but few men dey owe me big bucks.. so, I go chase am shortly..

• moi

November 4, 2010 at 8:18 pm

After so many of such; people naturally believed my father was the owner of Central Bank And so money was flowing left right and center(I wish), even now that I am in US; people would be asking to me to send them stuffs and cash, as if, all u had to do is walk on the street of Florida and then u would be able to pick the manna of money up the floor…I always stress out carefully “i am a college student, not even a working one as such, where una expect make I get the money from….
      But bk to the question, as I have digressed a bit, I have simply learnt this, it works well for me; I have decided that I would not borrow anyone money if I reallly cannot afford to dash them the money totally and forget about the matter…If I cant, then no amount of “Pls just lend me this sum, I would pay you back so and so so time would suffice. People now know my tactic and so they know if I have and I can without winching, then I would

But Nigerians can try, no be small. Dem can frustrate ya life, before the lending on their part and borrowing on urs, and after the whole exchange…Man the whole process could be tiring at time

• Ginika

November 5, 2010 at 8:52 am

My problem is not as bad as yours however; at the apartment I live in, there is this particular neighbour who I can safely call a con artist. He borrows small amounts of money from neighbours claiming that he needs it urgently and will pay back. Now because we don’t really know ours neighbours, no one knows that he does this to everyone and by the way he never pays back. The day I gave him the money, my friend who was visiting me said to me: “Gee, you know you’ll never get the money back, right?!” but I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and I also thought to myself, it is a little amount I can overlook. Then one day I found out from one of my neighbours that he owes them and I got really angry because it is the principle behind what he did. She confronted him while I was there and he promised to pay her and then I said what of the money you owe me? He promised me too but I told him please dont make promises you cannot keep so please keep the money. It is a sad situation because he has a girlfriend with two kids living with him and he looks like he is 25; btw I had just moved in. I wonder how he can afford the rent at that place if he is always borrowing money from people.

• Ginika

November 5, 2010 at 9:00 am

Basically what I’m saying is for future reference only give amounts that you know you can overlook. I agree with the person that said put aside friendship and get serious about the matter with them or you could go out with them (try to get them to make the invite or you do it) and purposefully ‘leave’ your cash or wallet at home (just hide it in your car) and spend their money so they feel it. Then after enjoying their money, ask them for your money (maybe a day or two after).

• lolli witout d pop

November 5, 2010 at 8:48 pm

if u hv tried to no avail, den u shd give d peson a taste of her own medicine. Seize a personal property of hers dat she cannot do without, or spread the word to all her close friends and family so the shame would purge dat stingyness away.

• rikky

November 16, 2010 at 11:31 pm

I know you were been very kind to lend a friend in need. borrowing that large sum of money to one person is quite a big risk on your part. May God bless and reward you for your kind gesture. To be honest with you i cannot suggest the best way to get your money back, but everything we do in life is a lesson for the future. when next you want to lend someone such amount of money get a signed agreement involved and witness to save you the drama.

5. Me

November 4, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Always adopt the principle of not lending money that you cannot give away!

• Lady Jaye

November 4, 2010 at 12:51 pm

good point, but another thing: or once bitten twice shy. once i lend you money and you don;t pay. that is the end. under NO future circumstance – life or death, heaven or earth – will make me lend or even dash you money! Mama or sister may be in the hospital, and you will only get prayers from me, no money.

• swthrt

November 4, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Exactly!
      In fact, i have stopped borrwoing people money….

• gvbuhjk

November 4, 2010 at 8:29 pm

STINGY!

• Damola

November 4, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Sometimes e no be like dat.. if they are business partners, you are compelled to.. but friends.. definately, I don’t even ask.. I usually set them up.. oh.. u want 10k.. no problem.. I won’t ask.. but don’t ever ask me again either to borrow you.. na small thing u go use kill big thing..

6. Telani

November 4, 2010 at 12:30 pm

i always hear naijas say this but the correct grammatical way to say this is Please LEND ME not borrow me – you are the only country colonised by the british in africa who still got ya grammar screwed up. and the word is PUR SUE not PO SHOOOOOOO

• Mother

November 4, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Telani, I think you missed the point where Glory said that her teacher taught them how the words “borrow” and “loan” are used. The borrow me title was clearly used as a gag. That being said, LOL at “pawshoo”

• Tomi

November 4, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Well if you’re going to yap someone’s grammar – shouldn’t you make sure yours is top form? BTW, what’s with the ‘only colonized country’ with grammar problems. Clearly you just plucked that out of your pocket and it has no basis in fact…

• Enes

November 4, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Na wa! English teacher, your punctuation sucks, btw and what’s up with ya for you? I don’t like oversabi’s like you.

• adelegirl

November 4, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Telani, be careful not to make sweeping generalisations that betray your ignorance.

Nigeria is not the only country colonised by Britain which gets its English tenses wrong. It appears that you haven’t interacted with other african nationals that were colonised by Britain. The fact is, in Nigeria, like other African countries, our local languages tend to “corrupt” our use of what is referred to as “Queen’s english”. People tend to do a direct translation from their local languages to English. I’m not justifying it but please let’s get some perspective and not be so uppity and judgmental.

Come to think of it, who really speaks Queen’s english these days? Certainly not the “owners” – England and certainly not the Americans. I can’t count how many times I have read about or heard the British complaining about how the Americans dont speak “proper” English. And dont even get me started on the British themselves! They are almost all illiterate. Do you realise that it is a public policy in the UK to make official correspondences as simple as possible. If you use a word that is more than two syllables long, you are liable to get complaints that you are deliberatley trying to confuse the recipient of your correspondence.

So, get off your high horse Telani, we are proud Africans and English as we say in good old Nigeria “no be our mother tongue!”

• adelegirl

November 4, 2010 at 3:54 pm

There! Rant over! 🙂

• lekan fayz

November 5, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Your response to the Telani lady stands you out as a very intelligent lady, MARRY ME, PLS.

• hadiza

November 8, 2010 at 12:17 am

Good answer, took the words right out of my mouth

• Jack

November 7, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Start every sentence with a CAPITAL LETTER. I bet your educated self didn’t know that. Oh, btw the letters “B” in British, and “A” in Africa should be in ‘caps’. Shouldn’t you know that it’s grammatically incorrect to start a sentence with “AND”, and if you must -start with a capital letter?!

7. shantee

November 4, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I must say it’s quite embarrassing. And if the tables were turned, no woman will ‘gree’ to change money loaned to sex..
    Well written… I hope the message gets through to the recipient.

8. Kay

November 4, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Well written article and very true. I find it really uncomfortable asking people for money I have lent them. As a rule of thumb I only lend to family and close friends. Some people will borrow from you and when next they see you, they will act like they don’t remember borrowing from you. There are a lot of professional borrowers out there. BEWARE!

9. Africhic

November 4, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Glory,

I do have an aversion to the fact that you have singled out the women as the “borrowers”. i think this article should have been gender neutral. Too many of my friends tell be of toasters and boyfriends they have loaned money and have not gotten it back. Though on any account i hate the idea of people borrowing and not paying back. Usually they think they are smarter than the person who has loaned the money to them.

• nkemgi

November 4, 2010 at 1:11 pm

i agree with you africhic. women should not be singled out. i for one borrowed my male friend money since last year and so far all ve been getting is story and am thinking the only way to get ma money back will be to arrest him as he thinks deres noting i can do. dat bieng said i have promised myself not to borrow anyfriend/relative money ever again as dey never pay back.at one point i went for deliverance cos i tot it was a curse lol

• The Truth

November 4, 2010 at 3:11 pm

why don’t you let him do to you what those girls are doing to pay back their loans. Will it solve your problem? #JustAsking?

• ego

November 4, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Thank you Afri chic. I am not sure of the statistic Gloria relied on when she arrived at the conlcusion that women were the worst culprit when it comes back to paying back borrowed money.
      I have heard enough tales of men doing same if not worse. You should have kept it neutral and not single out the female gender. Unfortunately you have bought into the stereotype that we (women) are our worst enemy – always bringing each other down. A lot of men lie, woo, sleep with women so that they can fleece them also. It is wrong regardless of the gender of the culprit. And i would like to see the statistic you relied on b efore reaching your conclusion. Thanks

• felice

November 4, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I so agree with you Africhic…the guys are the worst culprits. I was in a relationship with a guy for 2 years and i kept on lending him money just because he promised which he never did.

• yhurmie

November 4, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Second that! I do believe guys r EQUALLY leeches in recent times than u give ’em credit for. I for one have been a victim of guys…2 casual friends and 1 ex…who ”borrowed” and resorted to all manners of emotional blackmail to avoid pay back…of the 3, av only been able to retrieve the payment from mr. ex and that’s cos I chose to take it personal. Please guys are as guilty of this as ladies and to me that’s the greatest shame of all!

• yhurmie

November 4, 2010 at 5:02 pm

*paying

• Karimah

November 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Was gonna say so to… there is this guy I have been practically chasing since May to pay back… 1st he started giving excuses… then totally disappears….finally, you can’t get through to him… the day you do, he doesn’t pick…. and this is not the first guy…. in fact, all the times I have been burnt, they have been guys, my female frenz always pay back…. it is a two-way street… 2 can play that game…. now it is sorry o, God will provide… me I aint borrowing nobody…

10. winneR

November 4, 2010 at 1:01 pm

While i tink its despicable 2 borrow & take off,i tink d men r plain greedy also.
    Sleeping wit dem whores expecting its free booty call? heck its payment in kind.
    Dey are all lowdown, dirty, shameless & deserve each other.
    I agree wit Me above,dere’s a saying dat goes,if i borrow u cash & neva c u again,it was probably worth it.

11. jmayaki11

November 4, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Nice 1!!!! June 2011???!! Dat babe heartless ooo……lolllll

12. nerfetiti

November 4, 2010 at 1:04 pm

lol!!! what about when women borrow from other women? and then just decide to forget riding on ‘friemdship’. i think that’s really unfair. one has to start avoiding money matters. not cool at all

• Zaianb

November 4, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I feel like this post is attacking women and i do agree that we women have a problem with paying back.. But men do it as well and are just as bad. I have first hand experience and it was as horrible as the babe that said but baby I have paid you back. He didn’t act like he owed me nothing knowing fully well he did.. He even came back on several occasions to ask for more money. No shame whatsoever. Coming up with excuses as to why he never paid back..
      I just think people should avoid lending others money. If your giving money just know that there is the probability you aren’t getting it back. In fact i hate dealing with any issue that has to with money. I avoid it like a plague!!!

13. babe

November 4, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Gloria thank u jare….it’s so bad….and after sometime the burrower will start making u feel as if it’s a wrong thing to ask for your moni…..i’ve taken my mom’s advice…..only give people what u have……neva burrow!chikena…..

14. F

November 4, 2010 at 1:21 pm

hahaha… “baby, I’ve already paid you back”… lol… Na wa. See what the feminists were fighting for… SMH

15. Truth teller

November 4, 2010 at 1:49 pm

very great article,i’m going through a similar experience(except the bedrrom part 🙂 ).I’m both a “borrower” and a “borowee”,and i know how both feel.I got the latter status cos someone came crying for 500K(apart from the other debts people owe me of over a mill,stupid me u’d say for being ” so kind “).i didnt have it at the moment but went out of my way to get it from someone else.now it’s almost a year,something that should’ve taken 2weeks!the other debts have taken over 3years in some cases,i wonder if i’d get my money back.In my case,i’m female,and borrowed to a guy and he has no car i can even hold ransom!!!

16. stylist wannabe

November 4, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Ha guys are guilty tooo!!! its not a sex thing please. There’s this ex that’s been owing for almost 2 years and he even abused me when i tried getting the cash from him. o well

17. Muni

November 4, 2010 at 2:29 pm

@Truthteller. Thank you for you example. Two of my friends have had to borrow their boyfriends and never got a dime back. In both cases the guys were even the ones that ended the relationship.
    They never even acted like this these girls borrowed them money.

18. owed individual

November 4, 2010 at 2:43 pm

But what if it is a female owing a female and still doesn’t want to pay? Does one get into bedmantics…. lolz… Seriously, some females would owe and won’t pay but act as if they are the biggest babe in town amongst their female friends – just lying about who they really are. I just don’t get it; honestly.

19. adenike

November 4, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Me,lend someone money? For wia? Na so i riSh???Lol…..I’d rather give you a little but never lend you;I’ve been taught well…..But i enjoy lending money from my mum sha(she’s such a nice lender-wink wink). She suddenly develops ‘amnesia’ after I’ve lent money from her and I’m comfortable with the arrangement….lol

• Julie

November 4, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Haaa! The day she remembers,…

20. Sammy Max

November 4, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Superb! like you i dont like mathematics,so any time my girlfriend ask me 2 borrow her money i simply give her the money i can give her as gift and tell her dats al av got to give.

21. Tee

November 4, 2010 at 3:40 pm

If I have to take records of the money I have loaned/borrowed (whichever you prefer :)) I probably would have built one or two houses in Lagos. In Lagos meaning Lekki NOT!!!

Here is what I go by:

1. We will always find someone that has the need of money
    2. We cant always so ‘No’ to everyone

So here it goes: If someone comes to me and ask for 100,000 Naira, I do a quick mental check of what I can give out without having to chase anyone around for money as a ‘gift’. No matter how small (say 5 to 10%) of the money being asked is all that I give out. Since I am not one of those that will ask to be paid back in kind, let the person go and jump into Eleko beach if what I have given is not enough. Besides, there are still other ‘friends’ he or she can ask for the balance of what I will NOT give.

Life…..borrow me 5 naira indeed!

22. P

November 4, 2010 at 4:22 pm

The english used by the people commenting is ‘amazing’ to say the least. Just to clarify- You LEND money to someone and BORROW money from someone.

• P

November 4, 2010 at 4:24 pm

In otherwords the lender is the giver and the borrower is the receiver. Hope that makes sense. Good article tho

• Kay

November 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm

You need to read the article again. It is obvious Glory understand’s the concept of borrowing from and lending to.

• Karimah

November 4, 2010 at 5:44 pm

usually don’t reply to you English teachers… had 2 skip the 1st chic who decided to “correct”… am not sure you understand why d word borrow is in ” “…”borrow”… she sure understands the difference….

• Alero

November 5, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I think P meant those commenting on the post & not the post itself.We learn one way or the other & no 1 is above mistakes or corrections.Thanks P.

23. Kilonsparkles

November 4, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Lol love this!

24. dubaisands

November 4, 2010 at 4:42 pm

excellent article. not a matter of grammar or lack of it thereof.. Naija’s will most times, try and get the better of the other party. Only when backed into a corner, as the story depicts, will they grudingly own up. Sad really..

25. Myne Whitman

November 4, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I think Gloria just wanted this reaction, lol..and the women took the bait.

• DUDU

November 5, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Myne, you have come again o! You haven’t sorted out the “other mess” and you’re back her making insinuations. Madame!!!!

• Lady

November 7, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Seriously I tire for this Myne oh! I am sooooo put off from her recently… I think she feels she is something to be reckoned with… over hyped commodity….

26. CC

November 4, 2010 at 5:07 pm

If you’re going to be lending money that it will pain you not to get back, I think you have to learn to do one of the following two things: 1. Learn techniques to get your money back, by fire, by force 2. Learn techniques to deal with losing money.

Proven techniques to get your money back include growing the balls to embaraize (not just embarrass) the borrower in public places (especially their workplace or church) naturally you embarrass yourself using this technique but if the person is just feeling like holding onto your money, this will make them lose the feeling. The other proven technique is to leave a legal paper trail that can be taken to court, equally as effective but not as much fun.

I agree with Africhic, just as many men think they have the magic stick and borrow money from the opposite sex with no intent to pay other than in pickle coupons, it’s not just women paying in kind.

27. bimpe

November 4, 2010 at 5:14 pm

great article!
    Men are the worst culprit. My hubby and bro in-law neva pays back loans from me.
    I only loan money i can give out to families and friends.

28. O-girl

November 4, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I actually had a similar experience in secondary school and the worst was that I would see the girl at break putting away good stuff. Needless to say, I learned my lesson well. And as for lending or giving lump sums to boyfriends and SOs…That’s on the corner between ne and ver.

29. Clara

November 4, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Please let’s stick to the main topic cos if we r going to correct naijas and their effed up english grammar and tenses we would be here all day. At the end of the day the culprits become defensive and we all know what that means. I recommend a elementary school book u can purchase in WHSmith called First Aid In English. If u feel english is not your first langauge then don’t try to speak it or write it and jumble it up saying Borrow Me instead of Lend Me. Na wa. Anyway back to the topic sha

30. Molicious

November 4, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Lol, nice article but please men borrow too o and don’t pay back, I think the numbers are balanced sef because I’ve had more males friends borrow and not payback and be trying to use some ogboju as if you’re chasing them when you’re asking for your money. It’s just because females are more likely to let things go because really what can one do and it’s easier to shame babes into paying you back. I loaned a male friend money and when things started going well for him, I would ask him for my money, and he’ll say I’ll transfer it, or oh sorry, I forgot and he’ll be buying iphones and blackberries for himself and his girlfriend, I don’t know how you can forget they owe money and actively avoid the topic when reminded. Anyway, borrowers that don’t pay back well, one day for the owner 🙂

31. Gam

November 4, 2010 at 7:10 pm

True, If you cannot give away that money freely, Don’t give at all. I hate asking people for money so it’s always easier to just ‘dash’ .

32. DaBreeze

November 4, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Good write-up, I enjoyed it. Enjoying a lot of the comments to, especially as there seems to be no more IST TO COMMENT!!! 🙂
    I have sworn never to lend money I can’t forget about. It’s embarassing when you’re asking for your money back and the borrower is making snide comments like, “You have money now, you’re a ‘Biggs girls’, can’t you dash me this one?”
    And Gloria, I feel your pain, but I believe guys are just as bad. I’ve given up on the guy I lent N30k to a while ago. He’s just never going to pay me back.

33. chioma

November 4, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Lol. I think this article has d highest number of comments I av seen. guys also exchange money for sex .

34. eniola

November 4, 2010 at 10:17 pm

So i actually hate the idea of ppl borrowing money and not paying me back. With that been said, i believe that is this article is a little too skewed….both men and women are both victims of not paying back borrowed money. I actually think guys are the ones who actually have the biggest issues…i once had a friend who was working minimum wage and her so called bf who was supposed to understand kept on borrowing without paying back so please substantiate with a little more of examples from both sexes next time.

35. arewa

November 5, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Some girl bought clothes off me (lots of clothes and jewellery) and wanted to go funny. After 4 months I called her husband and got my money complete. When you embarrass them your money will come out. And if they happen to be shameless you can go the police route. Lagos people live above their means so any attempt to not payback they will be there

36. Gorgeous

November 5, 2010 at 2:30 pm

lol! Well i have had a guy that owed me money offer himself for sex. Believe it or not! lmao. shocker! So this can come from any sex, male or female. I dont like being owed, i believe your word is your bond. As soon as i sense any swindleage, i will go berserk for real. I am not one of those leave it to God people. I will collect every cent, even if it means shaming the person in public and harassing them and their family. All my people know i dont play with my money, so they avoid lending from me unless they can pay back. shior.

37. Onyenku

November 5, 2010 at 3:19 pm

lol!
    i don’t lend people money sha!
    it’s a very simple answer i give and it is “i am also broke”
    or i will check my finances and get back to you and i never do.
    infact everyone knows this including my family; i cant shout jor!

38. ada

November 5, 2010 at 3:26 pm

if the guy who says he wants to marry you, loans from you and from ur siblings also.heard that story.

39. ada

November 5, 2010 at 3:30 pm

but really, its embarassing marrying someone like that. u’l get calls, and pay till ur dead.

40. Alero

November 5, 2010 at 3:36 pm

41. Ib

November 6, 2010 at 12:40 pm

GBAM!!

42. jennietobbie

November 6, 2010 at 6:58 pm

hahah! Good job, but it seems everyone that has commented was/is a victim. Where are the borrowers??? We should totally have a tag button here to tag our “friends” so they can read and learn to payback.

• Amseriouslyinlove.

November 10, 2010 at 8:13 pm

lol,innit? everyone seems to be the lender.

43. stacey

November 7, 2010 at 4:02 pm

well my own case is the opposite, i loaned a guy money for over 3yrs now, 2million naira to be specific an this boomberclark hasnt paid a dime, yet this ingrate is going around town doing lagos big boy when he still owes me money. this loan was a 2month loan that would enter its 4th year by 2011, it was out of compassion because somebodys life was involved( if that story was true) and childrens school fees, i decided to help out this fraudulent being that has refused to pay back what he owes, if not for the last shred of respect i have for their family, i woulf have organised mopol since, all these gucci wearing, range rover driving ingrates with empty bank accounts, -! (sorry just had to vent)

44. karmel

November 8, 2010 at 5:11 pm

LOL!! what an article…i’m female and wont trade sex for money borrowed but i like what that chic did to Jibola haba!! how can u do casual friend and then take her to bed several times and say no strings attached, the babe knows what she did.. Then on the gender issue…honestly guys are just as guilty i’ve been in a 2wk relationship when the guy asked me for credit!!!! that cheap…have a very close relative that loaned a “toaster” money that took him a while to payback..she went to his friends and embarrassed him…that dint work,he stopped picking her calls and even strange numbers… together we decided to pray for God to take his peace away…he paid!!!…so my people…prayer works, God understands cos the heart of man is desperately wicked…na Bible talk am!!

45. angelsbeauty

November 12, 2010 at 10:45 pm

how can you hate maths! *sigh* i absolutely loved it… it was the only subject to me that every question had a correct answer.. full stop! 🙂

Excellent article and I am glad it is addressed…. when you use bedroom activities to pay debt.. unfortunately there is only one word for that….. i thought so… lets pay cash for cash! ta.. x

46. steezy

November 15, 2010 at 10:22 am

LADIES!!!!!. please do not lend money to a lazy boyfriend who will just never pay back

47. jane

November 24, 2010 at 4:33 pm

this article is lovely, in fact all your articles are always nice. I read ur article yesterday and remember someone was owing me. it a small account though (but not too small when u are still a student and almost broke), i was happy i remembered and prayed i won’t get d negative reaction we are talking about here. Today i met d chic to tell her i would soon be needing my cash. It was surprising when the first thing she say was “look i don’t have money, when i have i would give u (in a rude and blunt manner). she started to raise her voice asking if i wanted her to steal, and dat she can’t borrow to pay me. The most annoying was when she said she would pay next year when we resume another semester (of cos i don’t pray to be broke or no 1 is usually broke at resumption or if i don’t want then she would pay at the end of dat semester). Funny thing is that i understand the fact that she and most people are now broke and i could close my eyes and free the money and manage myself but she was so rude (na who suppose rude sef borrower or lender). Finally in an angry state (no bi me suppose dey vex) she agreed to pay this week (thank God dere was a witness, and d chic wey say money no dey go pay).
    But in all, why are people not credit worthy, it is understandable sometimes when one cannot meet up to the agreed payment time but why cant they simply explain rather dan become rude and arrogant or avoid the person. If we all decide not to lend people money, no 1 would be dere to borrow us when we are in a fix and really need it. My theory is avoid money matters, take a risk sometime to lend people money (that way u know who is credit worthy, but not money u no u CANNOT forgo at the worst), and please lets all be credit worthy.

48. eran iya

May 17, 2011 at 1:56 am

Me I ve a personal rule I dnt lend ny 1 money I cnt give nd 4get abt. In essence u aint gettin shikena of me dat I cnt afford to dash out. I kno I dnt kno hw to harrass ppl for money so y even create d room for unnecessary drama. Of course I ve sum xception for a few certain ppl nd situations (e.g if it was a life or death stuffs). I ve also made It a personal rule nt to borrow,nd if it comes to it nd I ve to its only frm certain ppl nd I ve to b certain I ve a specific avenue of payin dem bck within specific time if nt I no go borrow. Nd God forbid d day I lend to smn1 or borrow frm smn1 to buy sumtin

49. Anna

March 16, 2017 at 12:48 am

i will never for he life of me understand how a nation was colonised by British and have fked up english tenses like BORROW ME

it is not BORROW ME – it is LEND ME
    You borrow something from someone but when you ask you say LEND ME

JEez