Events

“Hot Halloween Party” – 29th October 2011

Hot Halloween in collaboration with Hot 98.3 FM Abuja, Aqua Night Club & Yankee Entertainment present The Hot Halloween (H2) Party set to rock the city of Abuja.

These organizations teamed up to give the city of Abuja the biggest & best halloween party it has ever seen. Celebrities such as Denrenle Edun and Samklef are set to attend, also in attendance would be Hot FM Crew.
Admission is free for all but to gain entrance, all attendees are expected to dress up in a costumed manner. There would be prizes for the best and craziest dressed people that attend the party.
For more info & general enquiries, check out their Facebook page.

Date: Saturday 29th October 2011
Time: 9 PM – Till Dawn
Venue: Aqua Night Club Located at Sheraton Hotels and Towers, Wuse Zone 4, Abuja
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sponsored Content

1. someone

October 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Halloween in Nigeria? Why do we (Nigerians) always adopt the bad things from the west? We copy their bad character and never attempt to copy the good ones.

• unbelievable!

October 26, 2011 at 6:04 pm

My thoughts exactly! At this rate, there is no point living in Nigeria anymore. At the rate with which Nigerians back home are desperately adapting american culture hook, line, and sinker and copying all the negative aspects of their culture, it won’t be long before Nigerians will see nothing wrong in tossing their elderly parents in nursing homes like it is done here in the States. Anyway, make I sit down dey look as Nigerians celebrate the devil’s holiday. Mtshew! copycats who stand for nothing and fall for anything.

• Me

November 2, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Well said!!

• naveah

October 26, 2011 at 7:37 pm

My dear, I’m still looking for my jaw on the floor o. Do Nigerian even know the meaning/beginnings of Halloween? I was shocked when I saw this flyer and here I was telling people in the States that I don’t celebrate Halloween because I didn’t grow up with it. Naija people dey fall my hand o any how any how.

• Dolly

October 27, 2011 at 6:30 am

Lol you lots are funny, havent you heard naija no dey carry last…..well they will also have a black friday soon hahaa

• Purpleicious Babe

October 27, 2011 at 1:36 pm

That was my exact though….. since wennnn

2. pynk

October 26, 2011 at 2:41 pm

no comment at Nigerians and halloween!

3. eazzie

October 26, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Btw…when did denrele become a celebrity?

• visitor

October 26, 2011 at 7:02 pm

na him be halloween masqurade naw

• Purpleicious Babe

October 27, 2011 at 1:38 pm

looool… jokaer

• Ujumama

October 27, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Thank you my sister or brother, which one? So every “were” on the street is now celebrity because of their bogus attire?!!!! tschewwwwwwwwwwww to infinity!!!

4. Demmy

October 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Looks like fun but I’m in New Jersey and not coming back to Nigeria till Tuesday.

• Ada

October 26, 2011 at 5:06 pm

LMAO!! Na who ask u?? Naija pple sha…u just wan tell us u dey Jersey…hiss

• Hallo....wetin?

October 26, 2011 at 8:54 pm

@Ada…you too much

• Ujumama

October 27, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Hahaha, na only am dey Amelika! My friend, if hallows eve shack you too much, den dey celebrate am too for jersey side, go there!

5. pelolA

October 26, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I sa hope OPC or area boys wont catch some people going for Halloween in scary costumes and call them witches!!! just kidding!! Not really, anything is possible in Naija..lol

6. Tiki

October 26, 2011 at 3:07 pm

a. Is Denrele’s presence supposed to make me want to attend?
    b. ‘Halloween spirit’ is real in Nigeria – hope the organisers have prayer warriors standing by.

• Ada

October 26, 2011 at 5:08 pm

haaaha @ prayer warriors…lmao

7. Adeshola

October 26, 2011 at 3:25 pm

must we do everything the whites do?

8. Nino

October 26, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Jolly thanks o…see u friday

9. olamide ewuosho

October 26, 2011 at 3:53 pm

stop celebrating evil its not Nigerian…….1st

10. Faridah

October 26, 2011 at 4:06 pm

For realz? Halloween parry…where again?

11. MIMI

October 26, 2011 at 4:37 pm

hehe love the comments im reading

12. tobi

October 26, 2011 at 5:28 pm

got me wondering as well!! halloween in naija!! copy copy

13. Lola

October 26, 2011 at 6:18 pm

abi o! Halloween ke? Why don’t people check the root of it before adopting. It’s glorifying evil in a fun way. Ko da rara

14. El Boogie

October 26, 2011 at 6:25 pm

LMBO! Since when did we celebrate Halloween in naija? smh!

15. mary007

October 26, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Nigerians!!! we dont know the root, source of anything as far as groove is part of it lets join, my people perish for lack of knowledge!

16. mii

October 26, 2011 at 6:42 pm

useless country copy copy…. Halloween means the celebration of the Devil nigeriansssss na wah

17. stone

October 26, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Man halloween party, i didn’t even know that they do this in Nija am game for it.

18. Xorra

October 26, 2011 at 6:56 pm

“all attendees are expected to dress up in a costumed manner”
    Isoright…

19. tinuadetheonlyyorubagalfromwarri/akomitipoju

October 26, 2011 at 7:16 pm

MTSHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW

• Anonymous

October 26, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I marvel at the way people condemn stuff without really researching on it! Halloween is just a fun celebration. The difference about it is that you wear funny costumes. That don’t make it evil, people. For those who won’t take time out to google the event, I’ll help you. I just copied a section from Wikipedia’s definition of Halloween and it reads: Many Christians ascribe no negative significance to Halloween, treating it as a purely secular holiday devoted to celebrating “imaginary spooks” and handing out candy. To these Christians, Halloween holds no threat to the spiritual lives of children: being taught about death and mortality, and the ways of the Celtic ancestors actually being a valuable life lesson and a part of many of their parishioners’ heritage.[48] In the Roman Catholic Church, Halloween is viewed as having a Christian connection,[49] and Halloween celebrations are common in Catholic parochial schools throughout North America and in Ireland. Well, hate it or love it, some of us care less! Can’t wait to storm the event in Abuja! And trust me, I’ll be back here to give you a low-down on how it went!

• Adaeze

October 27, 2011 at 7:44 pm

My dear Anonymous, anyone can edit the information on Wikipedia. Hence that your info is extremely wrong. Halloween has nothing to do with God. It is an evil celebration. I was born in Nigeria and I wasn’t brought up to recognise any evil witchcraft holiday such as Halloween so I don’t know when all these started in Nigeria. God help us o…

• spicy

October 27, 2011 at 8:28 pm

HALLOWEEN IS A PAGAN HOLIDAY..NOTE THE USE OF THE WORK “PAGAN”, HOWEVER JUST LIKE OTHER HOLIDAYS LIKE XMAS ETC,IT HAS BEEN COMMERCIALISED. SO IT’S NOT JUST A “FUN” CELEBRATION,IT’S ROOTS DELVE DEEPER THAN JUST WHAT U SEE ON THE SURFACE

• Miss Margaret

October 27, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I doubt that some people here don’t know the meaning of the event. But according o my sources, Nigerians have always made harmless things spiritual and will continue to do so. That the devil uses your hobbies/passion as snares to humans is not news, hence the belief that spirits can possess humans and other material things you hold dear. I don’t blame these guys for thinking the way they do.

• Me

November 2, 2011 at 11:34 pm

@ Mr/Ms Anonymous: You googled it on wikipedia and yeh!! it’s a realiable source right? I’m so sorry…..shame.

• anonymous

December 12, 2011 at 10:51 am

check d meaning of hallowen in ur dictionary b4 altering such statement, d history of hallowen is demonic, wat is bad is bad

20. naveah

October 26, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I don’t want to be there when the real witches and wizards we already have living there show up to celebrate with all of those attending LOL. People dey go church to pray against evil doers that they know and don’t know, people are throwing party for them *side eye*

21. Yinka Ogunbajo

October 26, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Halloween has its origins in the religious practices of the Romans and the Druids: dating back many centuries. The Romans worshipped various Gods and on October 31st, a special feast was held in honor of Pomona, Goddess of the Fruit Trees. It was a way of giving sacrifices to their Gods, hoping God would protect them: This explains why Witches, Ghosts and Cats are a part of Halloween today!! Clearly nothing here signifies Nigerian Culture. Nigerians need to be proud of their culture and heritage and stop imitating others. I have watched many nollywood movies in which not a single actor / actress bears a Nigerian name! I call this inferiority complex!!

22. stevoforreal

October 26, 2011 at 8:31 pm

this shows the ignorance and stupidity of Nigerians…… very foolish mentality of copying anything and not for once inventing anything…. foooooools

23. Idunno

October 26, 2011 at 8:36 pm

This is indeed the end time,celebration of witches and wizard in Nigeria?dont people research things before dabbling into it?The foundation of the Lord standeth sure and those who nameth the name of the Lord should depart from iniquity! Period,Im sure some of the people that will be attending the party will want to go to church the next day…Bella Naija please seize to advertise things like this its evil (im not judging,just an advice).

24. Hallo....wetin?

October 26, 2011 at 8:57 pm

The effects of FESTAC 77 are still very much evident in the Nigerian society and now we’re embracing halloween……… hmmmmmmmmmmnnnn…

• Chi-dara

November 7, 2011 at 9:23 am

Gbam! you spoke my mind.

25. Jess

October 26, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I can’t say I agree with what Halloween stands for or why people celebrate it. However I do think it’s unfair that people are saying Nigerians copy everything. Halloween began in Ireland, and then spread to other parts of Britain, and then the North Americans jumped on it, so did many other countries in the world. A lot of people just consider it an excuse to dress up crazy and have fun, so why must Nigerians be “ignorant” for jumping on it as well? Once again I don’t agree with what it stands for, but it’s really not a matter of “Nigerians doing copy copy”.

• says who?

October 27, 2011 at 5:23 am

Yes, Nigerians DO copy copy! How many AFRICAN or predominately BLACK countries in the world do you know of that celebrate halloween? Do Asian, arab and latin american countries celebrate halloween? No, they don’t! Even if according to you halloween started in Ireland and spread to britain and the U.S, it is excusable because the british and Irish immigrants who flocked to america back in the day brought halloween to America which by the way is still an overwhelmingly caucasian society with an overwhelmingly european culture! Let’s not forget that halloween is also a yearly celebration where people say goodbye to the warm summer months and brace themselves for the long, cold, dreary, dark winter months that are ahead. Do we have winter in Nigeria? We Nigerians seriously need to learn a thing or two from our other African brothers and sisters on the continent who don’t copy every bad thing the west does but rather uphold some good aspects of their African culture. I continue to loose respect for most Nigerians, I swear! Never before have I met a group of black africans that try too hard to be something they are not.

• Ujumama

October 27, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Please please please give me a break, will you? If Ghana or togo started it, will 9ja copy? In short let’s bring it home. Why is it that we (9jans) have not copied each other traditions, e.g. the igbos copying eyo festival, the yorubas copying the new yam festival etc. Oh because they will not bribe you with sweet that will make you gain weight and countless hours on the treadmill, okwia? Negro bam!

26. brethren

October 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm

we have to pray for our country we now celeberate witch craft chukwu ekwela ihe ojo
    tufiakwa tufiakwa amen

27. dorothy

October 26, 2011 at 10:36 pm

naija wil neva seize to amaze me sha….wen did we start celebratin haloween again. as long as its a western culture den its fun right.? smh….

• Ada

October 27, 2011 at 12:59 am

I think the word u’re struggling with is CEASE**

• Hallo....wetin?

October 27, 2011 at 11:56 am

@Ada,you again…LOL…….

28. missme

October 26, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Halloween in Nigeria??? Next stop, Diwali!!!!

• wunnie

October 28, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I think we already celebrate diwali…my Indian neighbours have been throwing knockouts all around the street since the beginning of this week.

29. omoibo

October 26, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Man, I tire for 9ja & their follow, follow attitude. I live in the states & have never gotten into the Halloween crap because I no be follow, follow plus the original reason behind the celebration goes against my belief… What can I say, this is one of those western influences I wish ppl back home did not adopt.

• precisely

October 27, 2011 at 5:32 am

Tell me about it! I live here in the states too and don’t celebrate it. Even american christians do NOT celebrate halloween. But Nigerians must copy everything western in the name of “fun” until that “fun” costs them their salvation. My people perish for lack of knowledge!

30. chioma

October 26, 2011 at 10:48 pm

It is a shame, Naija and I gotta belong!!!

31. eazzie

October 26, 2011 at 11:44 pm

BN…comment awaiting moderation till this time…o gah o!

32. genuine

October 27, 2011 at 1:58 am

lol, since when is Halloween a bad thing? I have read a lot about Halloween history and its not different from any other events we celebrate. It’s just a night of superstitious beliefs. Anywa, most people don’t care about history anyway, many see it as a time to have fun, dress up, eat candy , etc. This is not drastically different from any other festivals or holidays that we celebrate. Even our Christmas celebration, please go look up the history of Christmas celebration and the fact that Dec 25th was a pagan holiday at one point, but does that stop me from celebrating Christmas? No, I really don’t care about the history as long as I know what I am celebrating it for. Most people are just celebrating Halloween in the name of fun and sometimes poking fun at those superstitious beliefs.

• Ujumama

October 27, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I just knew that the CHRISTmas issue will come up. Anyway, I doubt you are a CHRISTian. No one knows when CHRIST was born, but we acknowledge the fact anyways. If you partake in good you’ll reap good. If you partake in evil, no matter your intentions, honey, you’ll still reap the same. …because of candy, can’t you afford that in the store? you’ll sell your soul to the devil for candy, really? Those professing CHRISTians are lukewarm, go read your BIBLE and come tell me what GOD says HE will do to such! tschew!

• mary007

October 27, 2011 at 11:03 pm

You really lack knowledge! Christmas was put on that day to draw Christians from partaking in the pagan feast, not that Christmas was a pagan feast! What did you say above? superstitious beliefs? need I say more why we should not celebrate it?

33. Annabel

October 27, 2011 at 2:38 am

@ genuine: wow! All the other comments have been stinking of ignorance until u spoke. U said it all. For Benin we go say uwese–thank you. I rest my case.

34. bash

October 27, 2011 at 4:33 am

naija pple can borrow pose evthing abt yankee….#sosad

35. iTawa

October 27, 2011 at 6:00 am

hmmm Naija sha? halloween sha??? @ genuine, u re kidding, right? like seriously! it’s like u don’t get wat the other comments r saying…lemme break it down! Nigerians love to emulate the west, esp the bad parts of it e.g. Halloween! They won’t copy the few good parts such as their educational system (University, ofcourse)…gorrit?

36. anita

October 27, 2011 at 9:13 am

@Ada……LMAO
    “I think the word u’re struggling with is CEASE**” …..that cracked me up big time!!!

37. St. Eddy

October 27, 2011 at 10:50 am

@itawa, I feel u should drop the words ‘copy copy’, cos every thing we do is not originally ours even the english we speak. Halloween isn’t an evil party. Just cos we’ve never celebrated it. Halloween is a celebration on the eve of all saints’ day(november 1) which I as a catholic observe. @says who?, ur point on why asians, arabs don’t celebrate halloween is a faux-pas cos many of them are not xtians. Most asians r buddhist, hindis, or moslems and arabs, I don’t need to tell u that… So I rest my case.

• says who?

October 27, 2011 at 2:57 pm

So now halloween is a CHRISTIAN holiday? I am catholic too and grew up in Nigeria. How come it is now that many Nigerians have access to the internet and see what other countries in the world celebrate that they have now chosen to celebrate halloween too? where was haloween celebrations in Nigeria back in the 80s and 90s? all saints day has always been celebrated by the catholic church but now people like you make all sorts of excuses to emulate americans. As for the english language, that was IMPOSED on us by the british colonial powers back in the day. Nigerians did not just wake up one morning and began to speak english which I hope you know and don’t need me to remind you. Anyway, celebrate what you want. Nigerians stand for nothing, it is no wonder the country refuses to progress. Maybe, we can borrow a leaf from Ghana. They are proud of who they are and have a peaceful, functioning society uunlike ours crawling with american wannabes.

• mary007

October 27, 2011 at 11:08 pm

All saints day is not Halloween! please, people put it on that day with the knowledge that the Nov 1st is a day where Catholics celebrate the resurrection of saints, ASD was celebrated for awhile before Halloween even started, lack of knowledge being displayed again

38. enri

October 27, 2011 at 10:54 am

y not copy their educational system,their road constructns,how they treat n respect their citizins,how they create job opportunities,instead na thier party style we dey copy….fallin of hand,am disapointed naija.

39. IGBOFILLE

October 27, 2011 at 11:06 am

Hmm me I dont live in America but all I have seen about Halloween is a witch party where every one dresses like a scary personality or spirit. When the witches and wizards in Nigeria start promoting this event and using it to propagate their association what will the so called supporters in BN do. God save us in this country, COPY COPY too much o for evil not even for good.

40. Lizzy

October 27, 2011 at 11:38 am

LOL…LOL….LOL….. U guys are cracking me up! watever men i am so attending this Halloween guess u guys dint get the info dat der r LCD TV’s up 4 grabs…haha na unna sabi, winch dey beside u as u dey dere so they are everywhere….

• iris

October 27, 2011 at 11:49 pm

l0l cheers to LCDs..

41. Peaches

October 27, 2011 at 11:46 am

Westernity is kicking in Naija oh. O ga ooo. If the adults are celebrating Halloween, what do you tell the kids. That it is alright to celebrate goulish event. Not right mehn….. I know its fun to play dress up, why not call it a costume party without the devils and vampire dressing. I know Africa wants to be seen as a liberal continent, but can we leave the Oyinbo people to their own thing and let us do our own thing. Lets not sell out please. It’s nice to have fun, but not with Halloween peeps, come on.

42. Anonymous

October 27, 2011 at 11:54 am

Guys I just wonder why people like to speak blasphemy sometime, I honestly don’t see anything wrong in celebrating Halloween, its funs guys, don’t let some supposed holier than thou play haters talk you guys out of having fun!!!!!

43. Mary

October 27, 2011 at 12:06 pm

First time i will ever comment on this site.
    I am so shock to read some stupid comments from some ignorant fellows that has commented on this issue especially from “Anonymous October 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM”. In this time and age you come up here and claim to have Google about Halloween and u came up which such poor information, shame on you. Please next time you visit Google don’t use Wikipedia as the source is not 100percent correct. October 31 is the most important day in the satanic year. [It is known as the devil’s birthday.] It marks the Celtic New Year. It became a festival of death. On this day, the god of the Celtics was to have called up the spirits of the wicked dead who had died during the past year. At the same time, other evil spirits arose and went about the countryside harassing the people. On October 31, the Celtics expected to be harassed by ghosts, evil spirits and demons; and it was no fun and games to them. They would light bonfires to guide the spirits to their own town and to ward off evil spirits. Witches and other evil spirits were believed to roam the earth on this evening, playing tricks on human beings to mark the season of diminishing sunlight. Bonfires were lit, offerings were made of dainty foods and sweets, and people would disguise themselves as one of the roaming spirits, to avoid demonic persecution. Survivals of these early practices can be found in countries of Celtic influence today, such as the United States where children go from door to door in scary costumes demanding “trick or treat.

To the rest of the forumite No matter what you think of Halloween, know that it is the very highest satanic holy day. As a Christian, you should not be observing it in any way, especially IN your church. Halloween has never been a Christian holiday, and it has no place in the life of a born again Believer in JESUS CHRIST. In fact, it is an abomination to God, and we should take our stand firmly against it. As we look at its history, we find that its roots go deep into heathenism, paganism, Satanism and the occult; and its modern expression is no better. Thanks

• naveah

October 27, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Kpam.com!!! Thank you, jare.

• Ujumama

October 27, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Thank you beaucoup beaucoup! I knew all this but because I watched it on history channel 2 years back, but I wasn’t ready to start typing all that. Anyways, you are right on point! Elaine, an ex-witch, a former high priestess in devils kingdom and ex-wife of satan, confessed that haloween in the occultic world was a blasphemous day and night against GOD! It’s their own “christmas”. That night is the night in every year they carry out the greatest human sacrifice to satan! If you want more information on this,go and read, “HE came to set the captives free” You can get it on amazon. Those who seek knowledge will find it!

44. Loma

October 27, 2011 at 12:40 pm

What errant rubbish! Oyinbo version of witchcraft!!!

45. Le Sigh

October 27, 2011 at 12:52 pm

hahahaha! Naija and copy copy….. issorai, very soon we will do 4th of July party and bank holiday. i mean, theres black cab in abj already….

• Ujumama

October 27, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Hahaha, on that OCt. 31st, my Church is hosting a party too, but it is called Hallelujah Night! HAllelujah, lol! We will dress up like Bible characters, go to Church, play Bible games, get lots and lots of candy, so that our children will not feel left out or get jealous of the evil celebration in the world!!!!!!! You are all invited, lol!

46. nobeefjustsaying

October 27, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Kini gbo gbo nonesense? If they are looking for what to celebrate, they shld go back home and celebrate new yam festival, ifa festival etc! Have we finished celebrating d numerous deities we have in naija that they’re going to borrow witchcraft celebrations from the west?…….I sound like an 80 yrs old woman right?lol, I know!

47. Purpleicious Babe

October 27, 2011 at 1:51 pm

looool… at all the comments..it was fun reading..

Back to my comment: I think if we are going to celebrate a western thing called Halloween , I think we berra start celebrating our cultural roots such as the gods of Iron abi n wear costume dresses.. Hence the western can also copy that (i doubt that very much).

It is the in the western world everything started including the gospel of JESUS(thank God for that)… I am yet to see what they have adopted and religiously practiced from AFRICA. or Nigeria to be precise… anywoo.. food 4 thot.

I am against HALLOWEEN cos I don’t see the point of wearing spooky hats and dressing up as vampires or whatever… WHY: I think its too dark for me..(not my idea of fun, its bad enough humans wear masks on daily basis and do rubbish stuff and then u put them into costumes.. ohh pls)..

Sha, plenty naija pple will go including choristers ohhh (ITS FREE)…LOL

48. Lue

October 27, 2011 at 2:23 pm

chai!!!!! i have killed myself laughing. these comments are really cracking me up.
    holy ghost fire on every spirit of foreign witchcraft…………..

49. Nino

October 27, 2011 at 3:08 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA…..I LOVE YOU ALL I SWEAR….YOU ARE hilarious…..Gosh…you just made me smile in a dull work afternoon…kissess

50. itk

October 27, 2011 at 4:00 pm

having lived in the west for so long i hungered much for my african culture -but it appears i need not worry as my so called african culture has evolved – the world is trully changing , we must all change with it but at the same time it doesn’t mean losing your identity – in a much as it may not be a big deal to many I do think it should remain in the west – there are plenty to celebrate in African/Nigeria – to think i planned on taking my son home in his teens to learn about the culture – at the rate we’re going we soon will have nothing – -the rate of copying is abysmal – we have draw influences inorder to grow not down right copy copy – my 2 kobo

• True talk

October 27, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Exactly! I too was thinking of raising my kids in Nigeria but now, I don’t even see the point. At the rate Nigerians in Nigeria are going, there will be no more african/Nigerian culture left. For example, here in America, more and more black women are going back to wearing natural hair after seeing the side effects perm and harsh chemicals can cause to hair and scalp. The ones in Nigeria are wearing horse hair and what have you like its going out of style. I rather just raise my kids here abroad than amongst american wannabes (Nigerians).

51. anon

October 27, 2011 at 4:11 pm

It may be fun to celebrate halloween in the West but it is not a Nigerian thing. Halloween is not our culture and does not have anything to do with us remotely. On what basis are we celebrating it? Soon we will be talking of celebrating “Thanksgiving” or “St Patrick’s Day” in Nigeria. It is simply not our culture. Period!!! We run away from celebrating our indigenous culture and yet want to adopt the Western ones. When will we learn? Black people in diaspora are craving an indigenous culture and yet those who have it are seeking to throw it all away for the sake of “belonging”. And what baffles me even more is the way bella naija seems to be upholding these. Anyone seen the flyers for Autumn/Winter fashion shows by Nigerian fashion designers in Nigeria? It beggars my belief. Can we stop before we think it is okay to suffer from this new type of slavery?

52. Tunmi

October 27, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Halloween means “all hallows eve.” The word hallows means holy. Nov. 1 and 2 are All Saints Day and All Souls Day. My Catholic godmother told me that the day was used to mock Catholics who spent these subsequent days to honor their dead. Hence the costumes about the dead and myths: ghosts, devil and witches. The costumes are meant to mock the Catholics. Now that bit is according to her.

According to this website, Halloween, “All Hallows Eve is the night to bring to life those who have passed.” Here, it is marked as a day of celebration. Other cultures have such days where they celebrate their dead: Mexico’s Día de los muertos.

According to this website, “Soon witchcraft came about, and October 31 was renamed Night of the Witch. It was believed that the devil and all of his followers (demons, witches) would come out on this night to perform unholy acts to make a mockery of the All Hallows Day celebration. These ceremonies and celebrations continued and October 31 was then called All Hallows Even. It was a night for superstitious beliefs and mystery. Through the years the name was shortened to Hallowe’en and then to Halloween.”

All 3 support the idea that Halloween is a day of celebration, either to respect the dead or to poke fun at those who do.

53. Tunmi

October 27, 2011 at 6:06 pm

In terms of having halloween in Nigeria, I don’t mind it. I see it as a day of fun. But if we wanted to see a Halloween event, just look at a Naija movie event with the pancaked faces and attired that are out of this world.

I do agree that we should bring back the New Yam Festival and the traditional things that make up the Nigerian culture. It’s really only fair. But um, how do we differentiate normal Nigerians from the Halloweened ones.

54. Joy

October 27, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I live in america, never celebrated halloween! You know what we do to make sure christians don’t feel left out, we just have a costume party 😀 simple, there is more meaning to halloween, and we should pay deeper attention to it, as all these americans are celebrating it, they know what they are doing, they know what the celebration is for, and they still do it! We are nothing like the western people, if there is anything we should be getting from them it is their development and nothing more! because the western world is full of sin! they have grown up with it and they do not realize it! But sha no matter what we say this party will still go on, you will see now proper native doctor will use the opportunity to come and chop someones leg off for ritual lmao! jokes jokes, but seriously what if that happens 0_0

55. Timmy Tall

October 27, 2011 at 6:26 pm

There is no need celebrating Halloween in Nigeria when Nigeria is already idol worshiping capital of the world. Nigerians like wearing used clothes and shoes from America so picking an old pagan festival dumped by Americans is not a surprise. Moreover Nigerians are also known for copyrights infringement and fake and substandard products and imitation so they have stolen a pagan festival from their slave masters.

56. Ije2002

October 27, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I’ve lived in the US for over 20 yrs and Halloween is not celebrated by everyone here due to its pagan connection. Most people in American are renouncing Halloween due to its pagan connection and embracing non festive day. Most Christians has made alternatives for their young adult who may not understand of the true meaning of this pagan festival. So Halloween is a form of idol worship.

Paganism

Celtic NeoPagans consider the season a holy time of year.[52] Celtic Reconstructionists, and others who maintain ancestral customs, make offerings to the gods and the ancestors.[52] – Credit to: Wikipedia.

As the word of God said my people are pershing for lack of knowledge. Before you celebrate any festival including African festival do your research, ask question before you entrap yourself.

57. Anonymous

October 27, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Some comments here sounded like constructive criticisms of the celebration of Halloween while others were damn right watery! Just because you feel celebrating Halloween is bad cos of the assumption that it’s origin is evil don’t mean people won’t celebrate it today. Nobody is being forced to celebrate or attend the show anyway. Interested parties would definitely attend the show no matter what anyone has to say. And I just laugh when I hear some people say we imitate every thing western. I do so because those same people went to school to imbibe western education. Why didn’t such peops insist on traditional or normadic education? They have laptops & Black-berry phones today, with which they can access a website like Bellanaija. Why also didn’t they deem it fit to rely on town criers who move around on foot to disseminate information? They watch television and listen to radio instead of living without such technological devices. They speak a borrowed language (English) which is not by any means African or even Nigerian! They wear suits and other English attires instead of tying leaves or adorning other African costumes. People like this should please give us a break and stop preaching the silly gospel of embracing everything African, cos they themselves don’t live it, as much as they advocate it. Halloween is a fun party meant to bring people together just to unwind and have a good time in funny costumes. Whether it is borrowed or copied from elsewhere is totally irrelevant. Afterall, there are thousands of other things we copied from our colonial masters. People just wanna have fun in their own way. Right now, I feel like listening to a classic rap song by the American group GETO BOYZ titled MY MIND’S PLAYING TRICKS. And I’m doing so, cos Bushwick Bill in his verse said: THIS YEAR’S HALLOWEEN FELL ON A WEEKEND! And I love that part of the song! Haters can criticise all they want. By Halloween we stand. If you disapprove, then that’s your headache. Nuff said!

• Peaches

October 28, 2011 at 11:57 am

Anon…. this is not an attack as you think. You do know that we all have an opinion and thats not gonna stop people airing it out. I just only find it really strange that Halloween in Nigeria is just weird. I just really think that we shouldn’t loose our identity. It’s the children of the future, am really worried about to be honest with you. Like people say, “WE ARE A PRODUCT OF OUR ENVIRONMENT”. It’s all love peeps. BN!!!!! Controversial Poster… LMAO.

• Ola

October 28, 2011 at 2:14 pm

And you think u just made so much sense?

58. enri

October 28, 2011 at 12:57 am

u guys r here complainin…..d party don start sef…..mr devil stil dey taxi,he wil soon come in.

59. N.

October 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Sigh! If you lot attend Halloween parties abroad and you are from Nigeria, and you are here complaining…..Please slap yourself!!! Are’nt you all Hypocrites???

60. itk

October 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm

@Anon 10.39pm – i don’t think the point is about technology or getting a western education – Halloween it’s just irrelevant to African/Nigerian culture – soon like someone said St Patricks day will also be celebrated in 9ja — the event is uncalled for and just an excuse to throw a party – someone obviously wants to start a trend here – Again you can advance yourself with education and technology without losing your soul/identity – people travel to places to see new things, experience new culture – how they heck is a celtic holiday/celebration an African thing. I suggest the whole idea is repackaged and called a costume party and maybe pick a different month so it’s in no association with Halloween…my 5 kobo

61. iyawoibo

October 29, 2011 at 8:09 am

@Ada..lol @ur comment about “i think the word u r struggling with is CEASE”….
    meanwhile,where is THE AMAKA??? VE MISSED HER COMMENTS

62. birdieblue22

October 29, 2011 at 3:38 pm

seriously Halloween in Nigeria? might as well come out and start celebrating juju, child sacrifice and all that. Halloween ke. born and raised outside but really don’t see why as a Christian i should celebrate death.

63. chic

October 30, 2011 at 8:05 am

May God help Nigeria….

64. Mimi

November 2, 2011 at 2:27 pm

What is so attactieve about this nonsence celebration that Nigerians have to copy it, just like some sensible people have said already, why wont we copy positive things? Dont we have enough witches and wizards already?….all them need do na just to broadcast for media say dem wan do party for Night flyers, enough go attend

65. tumi

November 3, 2011 at 3:24 pm

if you like celebrate halloween,if you like dont;ORUNMILA,it is only God that kows those that will go to heaven not by attending or celebrating the halloween.

66. emmanuel

October 13, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Next halloween is around the corner and I have a fantastic venue for the halloween. Check out the website to see the poolside. Contact me if you have a great plan we can discuss using the space at no cost at all. 07087190564. First come first serve.