News

How I Escaped Being Raped – 16 Year-old Victim of Luxury Bus Robbery Attack Recounts Her Ordeal

When I read the news report of the attack and rape of some female students of Holy Rosary College, Enugu yesterday, my first reaction was – “Oh no, not another rape”. The victims were students who were travelling to Lagos on a luxury bus belonging to Ekene Dili Chukwu Nigeria Limited. They were attacked by armed robbers at the Oke-Odo end of Sagamu-Benin Expressway.

However, the recount of a 16 year-old girl Junior Secondary student (names withheld) on how she escaped being raped makes the case more real and emotional.

According to Vanguard News report, the girls, 42 of them, left Enugu for Lagos on the morning of Saturday, 31st of March 2012. However, the bus developed a fault along the way and they had to wait for another bus to convey them to their destination. This wait cost them many hours and they eventually had to travel at night. They were attacked around 11.40pm by robbers who thought they were business people whom they could steal from. However, when they got to know they were students, they were angered and hijacked the bus, driving it deep into the bush where they allegedly gang raped some of the girls.

At her Ajao estate residence in Lagos yesterday, one of the victims of the attack who narrowly escaped being raped said she was undergoing her menstruation at that time and so she used her blood flow as a deterrent to one of the robbers who wanted to have his way with her.

The girl, who according to the report was still in shock while narrating her ordeal was indeed lucky.

I was sleeping and did not know how the bus was intercepted. But what woke me up was a bark and the next thing I noticed was that we were inside the forest. At that point, I started reciting my rosary on protection. Our phones were first collected and then cash. I was just with N1200, out of which I was to buy recharge card to contact my parents on approaching Lagos. That, they collected.

We were thereafter asked to lie down. It was at that point that they discovered we were students and one of them shouted in pidgin English ‘so na because of these small children we dey do all this wahala?’

Then, they started approaching us saying we should pull off our clothes. But one of them challenged the person that said so, asking if he did not realise we were children and it resulted in a shouting match between them. As the quarrel was on, another member of the gang came to me and said I should strip naked, pointing his long gun at me. I cried and begged him to have mercy on me but he didn’t listen . Out of fear of being shot, I pulled my underwear, only to discover I was already soaked in blood. I did not know what got into me then, but the next statement that came out from me was that one of them had already done it and I started crying. He pointed his torch light and said ‘ you want talk say you never do am before?’ and he went away. I do not know what would have happened to me had my menstrual flow not occurred”, she said.

The report further stated that no case of rape had been reported, only that of the robbery attack. Also that no arrest had been made.

This comes as no surprise as the victims might have thought that no hope of catching the criminals would arise from surrendering themselves to public scrutiny.

An earlier report said that parents of the girls had spent the night waiting for them at the bus park, worried and  only for the girls to arrive the next day with blood stains and scratches on their bodies.

My heart goes out to all the girls and their families for the trauma they must have gone through. Their ordeal was something no parent would wish on any child and I pray for healing, peace and comfort for the girls and their families.

And to the police and government, more needs to be done to protect the lives and properties of people travelling on our roads at any time, day or night.

News Source: Vanguard News

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. BEY

April 3, 2012 at 6:16 pm

ok its too early to start trading blame…but my first reaction was anger anger and anger and later i started blaming the parents for allowing the night travel is this wat poverty is causing now-wickedness and dead conscience thank goodness she lied of course that was one good white lie…i tire for this country sef

• Duke

April 3, 2012 at 9:52 pm

it wasn’t a night journey. the bus developed a fault and they begged the foolish driver of the bus to stop and he refused. i’m not surprised bcos i joined Ekene’s bus to Enugu last thursday and two women fought for over 20 mins in the bus and yet the Ekene staff did not do anything about it.

• vivi

April 4, 2012 at 1:13 am

I understand the need to blame someone but the parents were waiting at the station,they had no control over the delay, unless they drove into the dead night to meet them at the spot they were waiting.

I totally blame the Ekene Bus people ! Nigerians need to learn how to be proactive and not blindly being adamant. Did the driver not think about what he was doing? Driving a bus full of young girls at night? In Nigeria? What was he thinking? I bet all he was thinking about was to be available for his morning shift and not the girls’ safety !

2. adenike

April 3, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Father Lord!!! When i first heard the news, i prayed the girls be fine and none should be raped. I’m actually in tears now. May God be with all of them, He’ll console all of them and walk with them all through.

3. obi eucharia

April 3, 2012 at 6:25 pm

god should see the girls true

4. berny

April 3, 2012 at 6:29 pm

@bey it wasn’t night travel. They actually left their school in the morning in a luxirious bus. But the bus broke down dat was why they stayed back waiting for the bus mgt to get another bus. Nobody envisaged this. It was purely unforseen. They should have just pitied those little children. May God heal them completely. This is too sad.

5. Sunusi zakari

April 3, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Saying sorry to all the victims!!! May god intervain!!

6. oma

April 3, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Omg I just got into ma frend’s car n saw d newspaper and I told him I heard no one was rape!!! Really sad like sad the guys were just frustrated dats d word may God heal dem frm d trauma

7. Rex

April 3, 2012 at 6:32 pm

This is sad…sad….if the leaders in this country stealing money everyday at the expense of these innocent ones future think they and their families are not cursed? They are even more cursed than we suspect . May God give us a president.

8. BEY

April 3, 2012 at 7:11 pm

@berny thanks for explaining im just tired for reals 16 yrs jeez…….i just hope they recover

9. seun

April 3, 2012 at 7:33 pm

This is sooo sad.they are children for crying out loud!!Only God knows what will happen to them emotionally mentally and otherwise. There is no justice in this country.this is just heartbreaking.I pray that God himself will heal whatever damage that has been done to them

10. Laila Ikeji

April 3, 2012 at 8:21 pm

this is terribleeee!!!!!!!!!! Dear Lord, what can we do to protect ourselves. haba!!! I really pray get over ths trauma!!! and their parents too.

11. Lola

April 3, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I have never,ever commented on any article on any site in my life.

But if I were to turn away from this,I doubt I would be able to sleep at night.

I only ask that the universal law of judgement fall down heavily on these demons who attacked children this way.
    May they never know peace till their dying days.
    May their generations yet unborn feel the wrath and anger of these ones they so violated.
    May all the elements speak against them.
    Wherever they go,they shall never find favour.
    They shall die wretched deaths,vultures shall feast on their corpses on the streets.

Let it be so,unless they were not born of women.

As for those who are meant to be the gatekeepers of our country,yet do nothing but loot,loot,loot.

May the same fate befall you all.

To the girls.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Too sad.

• Pendo

April 3, 2012 at 11:43 pm

AMEN!!!!

• Truth be told

April 4, 2012 at 2:03 am

amen. And to the bus company; I don’t want to pray for them yet. They are all fond of putting bad buses on the road and their passengers will eventually spend the whole day on the road because of bus repairs. All in the name of making money. If they do not repent too, hmmm, I rest my case

• MrsD

April 4, 2012 at 10:08 am

Amen!!! *sobs*

• Vicky

April 4, 2012 at 10:48 am

Amen to all your pray Lola and shall it be IJN heartless bastard who do not know where to rob,why no go to Aso rock and rob.May it never be well with u and ur generations.

Vicky

• Alero

April 4, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Amen!!! I have been fighting tears since i learned about this sad incident.smh.

• Gidi

April 4, 2012 at 2:27 pm

As much as i wish to say Amen to your prayers, it is not enough.
      We need an effective system to bring such evil to justice. Such justice that would be deterrence to others. If the ‘ABSU ‘ had been decisively dealt with considering all the media frenzy surrounding it, sons of the devil like these will think twice before violating young girls.
      In addition, structures are in place to aid the healing of these young ladies?
      We need more than curses (wrapped as prayers) and we need it urgently.

12. madman

April 3, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Tinubu just threw a big party…. I’m waiting for the bellanaija feature….Linda Ikeji has already done her part…. lets keep praising and awarding these looters with good praises of their party : )

• Gidi

April 4, 2012 at 11:51 am

I guess Tinubu should have employed all the rapists in Nigeria and keep them out of the devil’s payroll ni?
      Please don’t belittle a serious matter with cheap political points.

• madman

April 4, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Yes, Tinubu’s job as former governor was to create jobs which he did not do rather on his 60th birthday he gave away bags of rice and foam mattress – and when the bag of rice is finished what will people eat…. people need jobs! Yes, rape is a serious and heinous crime but the point that I am trying to make is that, rather than loot the treasury like many politicians or political appointees – as there is no form of accountability or “justice” in Nigeria — many of these youths are going to waste away into the life of crime. This is only the beginning. There are no jobs. There is not enough capital to start a productive business. The loot can go into creating jobs for jobless youths, jobs in turn will significantly decrease crimes. In the face of extremities, wealth and poverty, where your “neighbor” can buy a 40, 50 thousand dollars necklace while you haven’t any food to eat in two days….. this is what makes many youths go into a life and crime and pursue their act with all wickedness.

Rather than hold our politicians accountable, we would rather comment on their extravagant parties……

13. chioma OOOOOOOOOO

April 3, 2012 at 10:14 pm

These are young girls from my Alma-mater. I feel so bad

14. hawtmom

April 3, 2012 at 10:22 pm

IT IS WELL…

15. Berry Choco-Latte

April 3, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Breaks my heart 🙁

16. annonymous :)

April 3, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I myself escaped rape @ 16 in my home when armed robbers raided our home……the guy took me to my brothers room and demanded I remove my trousers …..I told him I was on my period but he didn’t believe me, he then asked me to show him which I had to no matter how humiliating it was….he looked dissapointed and just then the boss came in and asked him what he was doing and he should get out off the room….after the whole ordeal I found it a very funny encouter(think it wa the shock lol) …..now 11 yrs older I thank God for that moment and also that time of the month we hate so much….who knew it coukd save me from yrs off pain…..my heart goes out to those girls may God bring u peace…..as for the RAPISTS aka DISGUSTING DOGS ur time and punishement will come

17. timma

April 3, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Hmmm!!!God help us and console the girls.We need to iMprove d security. Of our roads.Those robbers will and must be caught this month by God’s grace

18. BeautyFULL

April 4, 2012 at 1:20 am

Too bad

19. Nelo

April 4, 2012 at 2:16 am

This is sad. That is my Alma Mater. I feel so terrible about this. I remember how happy we used to be when we get to go home for holidays. It was always fun to travel with friends and classmates. Oh Lord! I can’t even imagine how sad those girls would be now. May God heal them physically and mentally.
    @Lola: Please do not curse their generations as they are innocent too. May the sins of the fathers live with the fathers and not the children, abeg!

20. Ib

April 4, 2012 at 2:22 am

Ahhh…my heart is heavy.i dunno what to say.My prayers are with the girls

21. Obi

April 4, 2012 at 5:26 am

… waking to the sounds of men barking commands at each other, it took me a few seconds to realize that there were armed robbers in our house. Few minutes later, I was being ordered to get into my room and give them gold jewelry. When the two robbers that came into my room realized there was no gold to be found, only God knows what their plan was but I was saved when one of then ordered me to get out of the room. I carried my baby brother who was about 6 then and sat in the sitting room upstairs, all the while praying that nothing had happened to my sisters who were screaming in their room next door. Few minutes later, the leader walked out and met me sitting there calm but terrified. He asked me what I was doing out there and I told him his men had ordered me to sit there. He hissed and told me not to look at him with my “ashawo” eyes. I thank God it was only ashawo eyes and not rape because God knows it would have been awful. My heart goes out to these girls. May God be for them all that that they need in Jesus’ name. As for the robbers, God help you cos no sin go unpunished.

22. Austine Da Whizchap

April 4, 2012 at 8:22 am

What a Horrific Experience. I Will Never Wish Such For My Relations…..So Also For Anyone; God Help Us All And Punish The Oppressers…..Amen!

23. sandra

April 4, 2012 at 8:31 am

@Lola i say a big Amen to your coment so sad…..

24. Touchedbyanangel

April 4, 2012 at 8:49 am

48 days ago, robbers intercepted a car around oke-ogun area and my pregnant friend was inside could u imagine they almost raped her? one of them even squeezed her boobs to sore! yes, that is what they do…if not for God? She has relocated just to heal from the mental torture. The wicked will not go UNPUNISHED! and May God heal our land!

• diamond

April 4, 2012 at 10:12 am

na wa oh! seems the heart of man is getting more desperately wicked by the day. before, pregnant women were treated with utmost care.

25. correct

April 4, 2012 at 9:00 am

@lola ,I say a BIG Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

26. kem

April 4, 2012 at 9:21 am

my heart is heavy, my eyes is soaked as i read, all i can do is place myself in their shoes, i went to one of the federal government colleges and normally travel by road as well, so i can imagine how tender i was, then for these girls to be to raped, it so not fair, while coldnt they just let them be, why, why, why, my God is nt asleep and he sees all, may the rapist never find PEACE….God help those that were rape, not to allow the rape incident decide their future cuz rape brings, anger, frustration and sometimes waywardness. God give them strength to overcome the trauma and may none of them be infected with any diseases, amen, so sad about all this rape case…

27. Zizy

April 4, 2012 at 9:25 am

Ohh Jeez! Dis is jst too sad and heartbreaking. My heart goes out to d girls, may God b deir strength… Such trauma at deir age, sooo very sad 🙁

28. kem

April 4, 2012 at 9:29 am

we were always told to be on our school uniforms whenever we are travelling, who knows why< cant stop thinking about these rape thing. God is on the throne sha, he knows and sees all....

29. CoCo

April 4, 2012 at 9:41 am

When wil EkenediliChukwu nd other transport companies learn? Give it a rest when d bus starts acting up nd continue d journey in d morning. Nigeria is nd wil never b safe to travel in d nite.This same ordeal happened to my brother last xmas. All the beautiful girls were raped nd the not so pretty ones were spared. Being a corper nd nothing to offer, he was hit hard on d chest wit a gun My prayers r wit d victims. As for d robbers……God dey!!!

30. kelly

April 4, 2012 at 9:52 am

The school or whoever was responsible for the trip should have used ABC transport, they handle issues professionally. My heart goes out the the girls and their families. My sister graduated from that school about 10 years ago. Mother Mary will surely intercede on their behalf. Ndo nu

31. LPS

April 4, 2012 at 10:08 am

32. Tobi

April 4, 2012 at 10:14 am

It is so easy to dehumanise the rapist in our heads but they are actually young boys brought up in Nigerian homes. In this particular case most likely street guys but what about the cases happening at our universities. They probably have sisters and mothers at home. Something is fundamentally wrong with the way some boys are brought up hence rape and domestic violence, many of them are walking around with a sense of entitlement to whatever they want. Don’t know about everyone but I see huge difference in the way parents treat girls and boys. It is time rape becomes a political focus and justice needs to start prevailing. May God comforts all victims of rape.

33. kem

April 4, 2012 at 10:17 am

rape case is becoming too alarming, i just read another about how a 29 old guy rape one 19 year old girl….the most annoying is that he has bn asking her out contstantly and she refused, only to follow her to the bush were she had gone to pick up firewood, killed her and raped her dead body, makes me wonder what the hell is konji, that self control is now lost these days, i get really scared these days when a guy invite to his place, cause the smiles u see, gradually fade away to a beast.God help us all

34. Esther

April 4, 2012 at 10:31 am

I feel so terrible and speechless. That could have been me years back. God forbid. May the evil doers never know peace and may the conscience of the innocent virgins haunt them all the days of their lives. Amen.

35. pynk

April 4, 2012 at 10:32 am

Only God. They arrested the driver of the bus, and have picked up 5 suspects as at this morning. They said the suspects are being ID’d by the girls.

36. maria

April 4, 2012 at 11:08 am

OMG,” TOUCH NOT MY ANNOINTED AND DO MY PROPHET NO HARM” who dares will be cursed and made to pay u bet. pls parents naija is not a safe place so go wit the trend and ensure that atleast either they fly by gettng d tickets early nd cheap or they go with escorts, even tho GOD SAVES. pls do accept my sincere prayers for divine healing from this unspeakable act, vengeance is the lord’s.

37. Gidi

April 4, 2012 at 11:38 am

Another rape story!!
    As a man i feel ashamed for manhood. Like i said on the previous rape article, rape is not on the increase,believe it or not it has always been this bad. What is on the increase is awareness. Women and a few good men are beginning to speak out more openly about this satanic act. The painful thing is that justice and therapy in our society are not increasing at the same rate as awareness. We live in a failed state,so such emotional issues rank low in the face of supposedly more pressing physical issues.
    After all the media frenzy about ‘the ABSU rape case ‘ what came out of the whole media grand posting? Politicians including the Minister for youth used as an opportunity to make fanciful speeches that amounted to nothing.
    At the end of this case,these previously innocent souls would be left to suffer with lacerated souls and broken spirits and their parents would even be clueless on how to help them.
    May heart and prayers go out to these young ones and a prayer of apology to every lady out there.

38. Gidi

April 4, 2012 at 11:46 am

Painful coincidence!
    I was reading an old piece by Redi Tlhabi (one of the most intelligent young women in the African continent) minutes ago and she was addressing this nasty rape issue. While her comments are within the South African context,the truth rings out continent wise. A few lines below:

There is a conversation we are not really having in South Africa and on the occasions that I have written about it or raised it as a subject on the radio I have felt dejected, overwhelmed and despondent. It concerns rape. The amount of rape and other forms of sexual violence that take place in this country, with its so-called progressive Constitution, is staggering. My heartache stems less from the rape of women and children itself, but more from the reaction to this heinous crime.
    As a woman living in this country, there is no greater fear than that of being raped. I cannot imagine anything more humiliating and punishing than a man subjecting me as a woman to the most vile and violent expression of his power. The immediate reaction of my male readers and listeners is to defensively say: “Not all of us are rapists”. But the majority of rapists are men so when are we going to start talking about this huge group? If men who are not rapists are not prepared to join us in a frank conversation about this abhorrent crime but instead display an intolerable defensiveness and hijack every available platform to push an irrelevant agenda, then we are clearly a long way from holding each other’s hands as men and women and fighting this scourge.
    By constantly reminding us that “it was not me”, these men seem to want us to thank them for not raping a woman. You do not get an award for not committing a crime.
    he tragic irony of this class-based empowerment of women is that rape is the one thing that makes us equal as women. Regardless of how powerful, educated or influential you are, this weapon called rape has been used on you in the same way that it has been used on an uneducated, unemployed and poor woman. That is why, for as long as I have the voice and the platform, I will continue to raise this topic.
    — Redi Tlhabi

39. Soraya

April 4, 2012 at 11:47 am

This is a terrible ordeal to subject these young girls to- the new bus driver should have simply driven them back to where they had started their journey because he put them at risk through night journey- this driver was guilty of neglience and committed an error of judgement which endangered the lives of his passengers- he should be sacked on the spot but the company itself ought to have guidelines regarding this sort of incidence. If a plane can return back to the airport where it started its journey if it developes a fault, why can’t a bus driver do the same???

40. Ruth

April 4, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Speechless…….. May GOD see HIS children through. As for those robbers,there end is near. Its so painful that we have a decayed society, injustice everywhere. A country where a rapist is granted bail with 40k for raping a five year old. My heart weep…………………

41. Layo

April 4, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Oh my God!!………..my mum was just talking about this story on monday, but i couldnt understand…this is a very….i repeat very inhumane thing to do …..and to say the least to do to female chuldren. I only pray that God heals their wounded souls because no one else can….and to the girl that escaped..i really thank God for your life . I was almost raped in our home when we were attacked by armed robbers sometime in egbeda and i was just 6 years then and the only female child in the house then….i can only imagine what mental torture my parents would have gone through if they had their way…but i feel these girls and their families…God be with them this period…its one thing to lose your virginity, but to lose it to these masked illiterates…God help us. We need better security in this country…Bless

42. modupe

April 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm

This is a very terrible experience for both those that were raped and those dat watched their classmates and friends being raped. May God heal these girls are grant the peace of mind

43. oluwabee

April 4, 2012 at 2:21 pm

any rapist dey catch cut off his manhood and let him and his generations suffer for his animistic behavior… and my heart goes out to the girls…

44. Couture By Makioba

April 4, 2012 at 2:58 pm

lord ve mercy and heal these girls from any disease they may ve contacted from this unlawful act of the under-world dogs…. and take away the trauma…..

45. Wealthy one

April 4, 2012 at 3:16 pm

God will heal them and will heal our land. We all need to pray without ceasing.

46. Ify

April 8, 2012 at 1:42 am

Dis is my alma mater. God!! Is a pity 4 such girls at a tender age especially d junior ones. I can’t imagine being raped i would rather be shot than to do dat. God should heal nd comfort all of you.