News

Our Nation Mourns – Family & Friends Lost on Dana Airlines Flight 9J-922

What would have  been a regular idyllic Sunday to the Abayomi family of Iju-Ishaga area of Lagos State turned out to be a day of sorrow as the Dana Airlines aircraft from Abuja crashed into their home  and another house around them.

Real people. Not just a list of names of people up on blogs and in the news. These are people who were part of a family nucleus and part of a close knit friendship.  Sometimes there is the temptation to slide into a shell of separation from the reality of the disaster of the crash but it’s only about six degrees of separation. The people who were on that plane are you and I.

Since the news of the crash yesterday afternoon my heart has been heavy. 153 lives on that plane and the people (we still do not have an accurate figure) who were sitting in their houses when they plane crashed into them. I woke up this morning wishing yesterday had not happened. I woke up praying it had been a horrible dream, one that I was waking up from but sadly, it is true.

As I scoured the news and the internet for more information I realized that we lost children, with a bright and promising future ahead of them. Entire family units like the Anyenes cut down in one fell swoop. Our hearts bleed for KamsiyonaKaiyenotoch, Kayimarachi and Noah.

We shed tears for Ms Ayoola Somolu, a young professional who was going to be married in August. The relatives of Mrs Fortune David-Kolawole and her infant Eyinojuoluwa would never see them laugh and smile again.

Wale Eribake was a business consultant; gone too soon.

There are no words to describe the pain in our heart for the loss of Ehime Aikhomu. My heart weeps for his wife, children and siblings.

The children of Reverend Ayodeji Cole and his wife Ngozi are in a state of shock.

Beautiful Dunni Doherty is gone.

We’ll miss Kunbi Adebiyi

A group of friends flew in from the US to Abuja and they were returning to Lagos. A couple decided to go away for the weekend to get away from the hustle and bustle of Lagos. Sisters returning home for the week ahead. A guy who was coming to Lagos for a work-related training. The list goes on. They are us. They are you and me.

There are no words that can aptly console all the people who have lost their loved ones. Friends and family members of people on that flight are distraught and in a state of shock at the moment and we can only pray that the One who holds life and death in His hands would comfort them in their time of mourning. If you think you’re immune to this or that you don’t know anybody on the flight, think again because they are you and me. The lives lost yesterday represent a microcosm of our system and so it’s a loss for all of us.

We pray for strength and mercy to get through these harrowing times and we pray that the right measures are put in place so that we would not have to experience unnecessary losses like this.

May their souls rest in peace:

Onyeka Anyene; Harry Lawal; Maimuna Anyene; Berkisum Yindadi; Ebuka Enuma; Oluchi Onyeyiri; Sunday Enuma; George Moses; Ogechi Njoku; Noah Anyene; Kamsiyonna Anyene; Stamford Obrutse; Kaiyenotochi Anyene; Okeke Hope; Kayimarachi Anyene; Rev. Ayodeji Cole; Ngozi Cole; Noah Anyene; Ailende Ehi; Oluwasegun Funmi Abiodun; Shehu Saad Usman; Alade Martins; Onita Jennifer; Onita Josephine; Ike Ochonogor; Joy Alison; John Ahmadu; Aquade Roger; Osunbade Aderogu; Akowe Fatokun Anjola; Fatokun Olaoluwa; Fatokun Ibukun; Bukhari Maikudi; Amina Idris Bugaje; Ajani Adenike; Ike Abugu; Adijolola Abraham; Obot Emmanuel; Otegbeye Hadiza; Ehioghae Sonny; Onwuriri Celestine; Abikalio Otatoru; Norris Kim; Eyo Bassey; Njoku Charles; Anibaba Tosin; Okocha Christopher; Shobowale Femi; Phillip Chukwu -Ebuka; Sparagano Lawrence; Somolu Oluwakemi; Ariyibi Temitope; Mecha Eke; Ojugbana Amaka; Ojugbana Christopher; Hnuna Walter; Coker Olumide; Lilian Las; Mutihir Itsifanus; Yusuf Ali; Lt. Col. Jumbo Ochigbo; Eribake Wale Zhai Shutao; Wang Yu; D. Awani; O. Awani; N. Chidiac; Rijoel Dhose; Li Huizha; Apochi Godwin; Kang Yi; Inusa Ahmed; Faysal Inusa; Mojekwu Adaobi; Ibrahim D; Bamaiyi Adamu; Ifekawa Jones; Peter Nosike; Anthony Nwaokoagbara; Mahmudu Aliyu; Nnadi John; Akwaeze Elizabeth; Dorothy Adedunni; Echeidu Ibe; Maria Okwulehie; Jennifer Ibe; Oloko Tunji; Sarah Mshelia Ahmed Mbana; Okonji Patrick; Oyosoro Rajulie; Oyosoro Ugbabio; Kaikai Farida; David Kolawole Fortune; Eyinoluwa David Kolawole; Kaltum Abubakar; Dakawa Mahmud.; Patience Sunday Udoh; Asuquo Ini Obong; Onemonelease Aimanehi; Onyeagocha Chidinma; Onyeagocha Ogechi; Ike Okoye; Amaka Raphael; Ijeoma Onyijuke; Garba Abdu; Aisha Abdu; Benson Oluwayomi; Anthony Opara; Taiwo Lamidi; Awodogan Olusanmi; Obi Chinwe; Shaibu Memuna; Major I.G Muhammad;Nagidi Ibrahim; Attah Anthonia; Shaibu Sam; Ifeanyi Orakwe; Obinna Akubueze; Li Rui; Xie Zhenfeng; Okor Eseoghene; Chukwuemeka Okere; Adekunbi Adebiyi; Ibrahim Matankari; Wasa Ruth; Wasa Awiyetu; Ojukwu Alvana; Lawal Anakobe; Nabil Garba; Mohammed Falmata; Ibrahim Jangana; Okikiolu Olukayode; Komolafe Olugbenga; Dike Chinwe; Dike Chukwuezugo; Olusola Arokoyu; Adekola Ayoola; Akinola Olumodeji; Olukoya Banji Saka Otaru; Adeleke Oluwadamilare; Yusuf Ibrahim; Ikpoki Obiola; Aikhomu Ehime; Levi Ajuonuma; Mbong Eventus.

PhotoCredit: www.123rf.com

1. Don Boye

June 4, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Tragic

2. Shola Animashaun

June 4, 2012 at 2:37 pm

May God be with the family of all that died and may God have mercy on us all. Let us all say a little prayer for Nigeria.

3. ela

June 4, 2012 at 2:37 pm

OMG! My heart bleeds. Its so disheartening. May their souls Rest in Perfect Peace, Amen. *crying

4. cathy

June 4, 2012 at 2:39 pm

from the heart, i feel this piece and thanks to you atoke.

5. Solafunmi Oyeneye

June 4, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Still have tears in my eyes, not just because we lost people, real people, close pple, but because it was due to stupid bloody negligence and sheer wickedness and greed. Families are in deep sorrow and lives will never ever be the same again, just because a bunch of greedy pple decided more money was worth the lives of 153 people on board and some more on ground. Its utterly disgraceful that generations have been wiped out. Oh my heart bleeds for children who have los parents, families whose breadwinners are dead, friends plunged into despair, families who have no bodies to even bury and pple who are still screaming in terror and shock for a very very avoidable tragedy. Can’t still stop my heart from aching. Pls sign the petition. http://t.co/36vTddEP thanks

6. hephzibah

June 4, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Ohh my laaaaaaaaaawd! If I feel this way, can’t imagine what the families are going through! This is soooo real. *trying so hard to hold the water works* I couldn’t even talk to my listeners this morning on air. Didn’t know what to say. #disoriented

7. Chikaka

June 4, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Extremely shocking and sad.

8. nicky

June 4, 2012 at 2:51 pm

its really a sad situation.tears run down my cheeks as i go through this piece and seeing the pics of these lovely pple.Only God knows why this had to happen.May the souls of the departed rest in perfect peace.

9. clairebaby

June 4, 2012 at 2:53 pm

This is a beautiful piece Atoke, u captured the emotions of most Nigerians. I also lost a relative on that flight.
    I’ve been thinking since I heard the tragic news, how ephemeral life is…here one minute, gone the next. (n) one knows who’s next. The most important thing is to be at a good place with God , so we can be happy with him in the after-life.
    May the souls of all the faithful departed ,through the mercy of God rest in peace, amen.

10. chocolatier

June 4, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I couldnt stop crying when i got the news that a member of my high school alumni was involved in that plane crash. she was the only child of her parents. on getting to the office this morning, my personnel manager informed us that a colleague of ours (who recently left for the UK to further her Education) lost her father who happened to be her only surviving parent. what a black sunday it was. i wept uncontrollably. May their souls rest in perfect peace.

• Datimfon

June 7, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Chocolatier I suppose you mean Iniobong when you mean the only child of her parents,she was my primary school mate as well.. RIP too her and others.. This is Indeed painful, almost 160 souls lost just like that, I pray God grants them eternal peace In His kingdom..>>sad<<

11. Ngozi

June 4, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Thank you Bella Naija for not just listing names but showing that this is extremely real and could be any of us or people we love and know. A friend was on the flight and I can’t believe how things so disastrous could happen in the blink of an eye. I do not think this disaster should be swept under the carpet as things tend to do after a while but that we as Nigerians rise up to make changes because it could be us tomorrow.

12. lafta

June 4, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Is the Ms. Ayoola Somolu mentioned above the sista of the popular Ore somolu. the Executive director of W.TEC?

• manie

June 4, 2012 at 3:44 pm

13. Leesah

June 4, 2012 at 3:05 pm

May their soul rest in peace. *crying*

14. Demmy

June 4, 2012 at 3:08 pm

This is so sad and painful. The lady with the children is the wife of my dad’s friend. May their souls RIP

15. Debby

June 4, 2012 at 3:14 pm

May the souls of the departed RIP!

16. Me

June 4, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Rili sad……May they all rest in peace

17. slavin

June 4, 2012 at 3:21 pm

soooooooooo saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!

18. efe

June 4, 2012 at 3:25 pm

It is so painful,haven’t been myself and it brings memories of the lost of a LOVED one(My husy).May their souls rest in peace.

19. omolere Agoro

June 4, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Its so painful May God be with families of the departs.

20. uchez

June 4, 2012 at 3:41 pm

May God grant them enternal rest amen…..

21. nshii maria

June 4, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Can’t hold my tears……..

22. kem

June 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Oh my God, Dr Christopher Okocha……Patrick Okonji , this is so sad, rest in the bossom of the lord and i pray God comfort your families and loved ones….sob sob

23. Gimmer

June 4, 2012 at 3:51 pm

**chiills running through me**

24. Worried

June 4, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Is the Benson Oluwayomi listed the same Yomi benson who just married Amaka recently?

25. Sofiya

June 4, 2012 at 4:06 pm

This is the first time a tragedy like this hits really really hits close to home. Lost a childhood friend, Iniobong Asuquo in this tragedy. I cant believe it at all. Still in Total Shock! Its like a nightmare I cant’t seem to wake up from! Just last week our mothers were laughing and joking about preparations for her marriage and barely a week later …..she’s gone! I’m muttering to myself how Joy comes in the morning and it seems the darkness is unending! When will we stop jeopardizing the lives, destinies, hopes and aspirations of young people because we want to make a few measly bucks! What’s the worth of the compensation compared to the dreams and hopes of all who perished? Iniobong was the hope of her parents, as an only child. How were we to know that a harmless weekend visit to her parents in Abuja would be a goodbye visit? I cant make sense out of anything! Didnt the engineers check, did they just assume that all was well as usual? why were they not advised to land before they got to Lagos when the fault was reported to control tower? So many questions???? Will there ever be answers? Will the answers suffice? Or will everything be swept under the rug when the next big story pops up?
    Hmmmmmn!

• modupe

June 4, 2012 at 4:39 pm

i also knew Ini, we went 2 the same school, may she rest in peace n may God ease the pain of evry1 who loved her.

• Sash

June 5, 2012 at 1:59 am

Crying………………..

26. missA

June 4, 2012 at 4:07 pm

work in the same bnuilding with Wale, saw him at lunch on friday only to get in this morning and hear this. Im still in shock.
    A friend’s sister’s husband was on that plane too. Could have easily been any one of us. Dana was airline of choice for many fliers.
    I grieve. I mourn. I weep. May we never witness this again in this country. I pray for this country.

27. Momo

June 4, 2012 at 4:12 pm

God, I am still so crushed and confused. Haven’t been myself since yesterday and don’t know what to do even at work now. I knew Maimuna and her son. She, hubby, her 4 kids, mom and some cousins perished in the crash. Her bro’s wedding was set 4 this wknd. I knew Wale Eribake and Ayo Somolu (listed as Oluwakemi Somolu). She was set to get married later this year. God please I need strength. Praying seriously for their family and friends too. RIP 2 all the poor helpless victims. :-(((

28. konnie

June 4, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Mind numbing. Can’t even talk. Have the the planes from this airline been grounded for maintenance checks? Two crashes on the day from one source is one too many.

may their souls rest in peace

29. simi

June 4, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Wow, I am so shocked, my heart and prayer goes out to all the families. This is so sad

30. Bisqo

June 4, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Words cannot describe what I felt when I heard the news. Senseless, tragic and unbelievable are words that come to mind. Lives changed forever! My heart goes out to all those who lost a friend, sister, brother, cousin, uncle, aunt, mum, dad, child/children, colleague, husband, wife, friend of a friend and everyone who has somehow been touched in more ways than can be mentioned and may God grant us all peace and strength to carry on, IJN. Amen.

31. kem

June 4, 2012 at 4:50 pm

My heart is so heavy, Doc Christopher and Mr patrick , may you rest in peace and to others, God save you dearly, i feel so sad on this, so many familes and lives affected,…..Lord have mercy on us….very nasty crash, it hurt so much!!

32. Ada

June 4, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Why is a 22 yr old aircraft allowed to fly in Nigerian skies, when 10 year old cars are not even allowed into the country? How many lives will we loose before the Nigerian government realizes that attention needs to be paid to the transportation and aviation industries? Talk about really bad roads…are these politicians asleep or they just don’t care? I think it is time for the Nigerian people to wake and smell the coffee. We need people in office who can effect change, and have a passion for the needs and concern of the common Nigerian. If things are not working with a Top down approach, then it’s time we approach things from the bottom up. Sentiments of religion and ethnic differences have got to be put to the side…and decisions made based on record and willingness to effect change. My heart goes out to the families of victims who lost their lives this weekend, and my prayer is that we all as citizens learn from this. We can not afford such tragedies to continue, for everything else can be replaced, but Life.

33. jj

June 4, 2012 at 5:20 pm

This is just extremely sad! *Sobs* blood of jesus!!!!!!! Whyyyyy??!!!

34. HRS

June 4, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I woke up to the dreadful news from my usual Sunday nap, I was in shock! to say I was or am sad, is an understatement. For those heartless Dana management to say there was nothing wrong with the plane when clearly, even their own Staff informed the press that the plane was faulty and the pilot was reluctant to fly it, I would say that they are not truly humans, cause if they were, they would consider the lives of passengers who had no idea of what was wrong with the plane, over their greediness to make money. Now we have lost 153 people aboard the plane and others in the house the plane crashed into……. My heart goes out to the families of the souls departed, may God give u the fortitude to bear the loss as it is terrible…. To think that the Ayene family was wiped out, Mrs. David Kolawole and kids, siblings, friends, guests……

35. Nigerian Recruitment

June 4, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Bella,you have just expressed the way i have been feeling,they are you and i,May God comfort their families and accept their loving souls.

36. MeeT

June 4, 2012 at 5:49 pm

May God comfort the families and loved ones of the dead and may he comfort the nation. We all have been touched one way all the other by this tragedy. Even as the nation mourns, there is this uncomfortable but lingering thought/fear that we’ve not seen the last of such. Hopefully we not only pray but work towards averting another one.

PS: Kudos for the grace in which you have handled this news especially the list of the passengers. Thanks for thinking about the families first.

37. sassycassie

June 4, 2012 at 5:52 pm

My heart goes out to the bereaved but we cant just let this slide! enough is enough! we cant keep calling God, expecting Him to do what we ought to and can do ourselves. Dana air can’t go scot free. Bellanaija, cant we start a petition?

38. yankee

June 4, 2012 at 6:16 pm

PLEASE DON”T FLY IRS AIRLINES. IRS AIRPLANE is worse than Dana. Please do not fly IRS. IRS, FIRSTNATION, AERO all have old and decaying planes. Off all IRS airlines is the worst.

39. Oma

June 4, 2012 at 6:39 pm

this is beyond sad.a friend of mine(mrs omonigho akinsanya and her son moyo akinsanya)were supposed to be on the flight togeda with her sis (Eseoghene Okor)but there was no space for her son to sit…so she stepped down and someone else took her place….now we dont know who the victims are or how thier families can be contacted.unfortunately her sister(Eseoghene Okor)is still missimg..all we can do is hope and Pray..May the souls of the departed REST IN PEACE….AMEN

40. Lvly

June 4, 2012 at 7:05 pm

My condolences to all those whom have lost loved ones. So so sad. I am praying for all the families.

41. onut

June 4, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Kunbi, sweet ajebutter babe…. you were an intern on my team a few years ago. We reconciled again last summer. Just learned that you are gone too. I started out not recognizing any names on the list but the pieces started to fall into places… Maimuna, Amaka, Sanmi, Kunbi…. so many of those deaths were close to home. RIP dear ones.

42. mimi

June 4, 2012 at 7:28 pm

may their souls rest on perfect peace.

43. Mia

June 4, 2012 at 7:32 pm

When you die, what do you want people to say about you at your funeral? “she had so many shoes?”, “he was rich?”, or “she wasnt a very good friend, but she was pretty”?…Those words are not what I want said about me. I want my legacy to be more important than shoes,money or beauty. How about these?: “She had such a heart for God”, “She was an amazing role model” ” We were touched by her life” or ‘she always forced me to church’ those are some words to be proud of and these are words I or anybody else have to say about my dear friend ADEKUNBI ADEBIYI.Don’t get me wrong, in the end its not about what people say about you. Its about the legacy you leave behind and the souls you take with you. Mark 8:36 says his “it is worthless to have the whole world if they lose thier souls’. So let us not get so wrapped up in the stuff in this world. be caught up in Jesus and where your soul will end up. I lost my friend to this tragic accident and the pain is unbelievable but I find comfort in knowing that her soul is with our Lord.. REST IN PEACE KUNBEBE aka KIA aka KUNBZ aka MyPRESIDENT…I LOVE YOU KUNBI.

• B

June 5, 2012 at 1:16 pm

So on point about Kunbz! She was a serving member of my team at Etisalat and words can’t express how much Kunbu touched everybody and I mean everybody!!! I can’t focus, so distraught, upset at the failed economy Kunbi believed soooo much in but u know what God knows best. She fulfilled her God given purpose by touching a lot of lives! It is well

44. Nweze Edwina

June 4, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Still n shock*tears*RIP 2 every soul on dat plane.infact can’t believe my Uncle’s wife nd son were among them,RIP Aunty Chinwe Dike nd her son Chukwuezugo Dike.my hrt goes 2 all families affected,including my uncle Herbert Dike(Ozubulu Awka)*sobs*we’ll miss them but God knws beta.we love u but God loves you best.

45. deka

June 4, 2012 at 8:03 pm

really really sad….RIP

46. remi

June 4, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Tears! May all their souls rest in peace.

47. ugobia

June 4, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I closed my eyes and picture myself in that Plane 3mins b4 it crashed,. I hear the last crys, shouting, fears, prayers, and panics, I felt the pains, I even have to question GOD, but He alone knows why it happened, We miss and love you all but God loves you more. God with the last cry and pains of these souls, we beg you to accept them in your kingdom, RIP..

• ONA

June 4, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Amen!

48. vikki

June 4, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Eteranal rest grant them o lord & let perpetual light shine on them.

49. The Diva

June 4, 2012 at 9:17 pm

My mom was on that plane from Abuja to Lagos yesterday, and I can’t believe how close I came to calamity. We shouldn’t just talk about this. Someone should be sacked and even jailed.That is the only way to prevent future occurrences…… My heart goes out to those left behind by the departed…

50. The Diva

June 4, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Sorry, I meant to say my mom was on the plane from Lagos to Abuja….

51. 'Lia

June 4, 2012 at 9:51 pm

The pain is overwhelming….hurt that makes your mind numb, makes your actions slow, reminds you your life here is on borrowed time.

52. Soibi

June 4, 2012 at 10:07 pm

WHAT A WORLD WE LIVE IN. FIRST MY SYMPATHY TO THE FAMILIES OF ALL THE DEPARTED. SECONDLY, AS WE ALL MOURN, OR COUSRE THE HELL OUT OF THE COUNTRY AND IT’S FOOLISHNESS IN ANGER, I WILL SECOND YOUR OPINION “THE DIVA” BUT ON THE SAME TOKEN, THERE IS NO AMOUNT OF PUNISHMENT SERVED TO TWO OR THREE PEOPLE THAT WILL EQUAL THE AMOUNT OF SOULS LOST. BUT’ THIS IS A FOOD FOR THOUGHT, FOR ALL NIGERIANS IN ANY SORT OF BUISNESS WHICH INVOLVES HUMAN LIFE. MAINTENANCE”MAINTENANCE”MAINTENANCE. IT’S SO EASY TO SET UP A BUISNESS BUT VERY DIFFICULT FOR NIGERIANS TO MAINTANE THE PRINCIPLES SURROUNDING THE BUISNESS. WHY IS MONEY ALWAYS THE ULTIMATE MEANS? ACTIONS SHOULD ALWAYS BE EVALUATED IN THE LIGHT OF IT’S CONSEQUENCES, AND NO HUMAN SHOULD BE TREATED AS A MEANS TO AND END. AS INDIRECT AS IT MAY SEEM, THAT IS THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH. SHAME ON ALL OF YOOOOOOU, WHO TOY WITH HUMAN LIVES.

53. Bj

June 4, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Oh ooooo,,dis is unbelievable. May their souls rest in perfect peace ;(

54. R

June 5, 2012 at 12:13 am

May God comfort and heal the families that have their loved ones. Extremely tragic event, I pray that we will know no such loss in the future.

55. bash

June 5, 2012 at 12:50 am

RIP to the onita Sister……Anita onita we miss you! still cant get over the fact that you are gone…..

56. Amber

June 5, 2012 at 2:46 am

Hmh

57. Dear Mr. President

June 5, 2012 at 5:30 am

And when [he] shall die
    Take him and cut him out in little stars,
    And he will make the face of heaven so fine
    That all the world will be in love with night
    And pay no worship to the garish sun…

58. ms tolu

June 5, 2012 at 7:01 am

RIP anjolaoluWa fatokun,olaoluwa fatokun and ibukunoluwa fatokun.May God comfort your husband and daddy.

59. pynk

June 5, 2012 at 9:04 am

Wale E.. the consummate gentleman. The bust running partner a girl could ask for. Forever in our hearts Mr. Accenture.

60. Ibironke

June 5, 2012 at 9:08 am

why why why is it after the crash that the chequered history of the plane is being revealed. and some dana staff now have the audacity to say they knew the aircraft was faulty. Didnt they know so many lives were on the line. It is just so horrible. I can’t imagine what all the families who lost loved ones are going through now

61. Ibironke

June 5, 2012 at 9:12 am

I am sorry to say I dont really think things will get better. We are in the end times and should all be prepared to meet our God. It can happen any time. Lets also leave an enduring legacy that people will remember us by as many of those we lost on Sunday did. God have mercy on Nigeria. God have mercy on us all

62. FLY GIRL

June 5, 2012 at 9:18 am

It’s bin a long while a thick cloud as this covered Nigeria,so shocking and disheartening.May GOD grant eternal rest to those affected and the families that have lost their dear ones the fortitude to bear the loss.*heart broken*.

63. BIMBY

June 5, 2012 at 9:33 am

Its so sad. My heart still bleeds. Like the writer rightly said, it could av bn anyone. It could av bn u or I. I wonder why our corrupt system would allow citizens of a fellow 3rd world country to run a biz in a sector as sensitive as the aviation industry without proper checks. May he Heavenly Father grant the souls of d departed eternal repose. May HE give their families the fortitude to bear the irreparable losses, in Jesus’ name. AMEN

64. Quarshie Eunice

June 5, 2012 at 9:57 am

Its a very sad news, it happened in my country (Ghana) we hav’nt recover from the shock news n now nigeria, oh God may the departed soul rest in peace.

65. Storm

June 5, 2012 at 10:01 am

You know this 6-degrees of separation thing? So true. When I heard on Sunday, I was extremely angry, not sad. Angry, because all this was caused by negligence and greed. At that point, I didn’t know anyone on the plane, or so I thought. I went to bed still angry and woke up on Monday, with tears in my eyes. I couldn’t even pray…but I still didn’t think I knew anyone on the plane. And then shit got real, news started coming in. My bestie’s cousin was on that plane, another friend’s dad was on that plane too…and I think her mom died years ago (I didn’t ask, I just heard), so now she’s (probably) an orphan. I remember hearing about the family of 6 that died, the husband was my aunt’s friend. This same aunt’s co-worker too, was on the plane. Another bosom friend…etc. And that’s when the tears started to fall. I had to try and divert my attention, so that I wouldn’t blaspheme in my mind….because after all is said and done, God is still God. I feel especially sad for the ones who may have been enjoying a Sunday afternoon nap or cooking or something when suddenly, a plane hit their building and killed them. I hope they were at peace with God. My heart goes out to the families and friends who lost people…no words will ever be enough to console you about your child(ren), parent(s), friend(s), or fiance(es). But I hope that God in his infinite wisdom, gives you some sort of peace. And to the ones who defied reason because of greed, the guilt you’re already carrying isn’t enough punishment, in my opinion….I hope you get much, much worse; because dying slowly, in a fire, has got to be one of the worst ways to go. Those people didn’t deserve that, much less the ones who were in their houses. To the government, the people in charge of these things…please, it is not enough to look appropriately mournful and intone a few words to which people say “Amen”. DO SOMETHING! Of course people will attempt to make money change hands, but please, for the sake of the innocent people who did nothing to deserve the kind of death they got, do not accept that money. Let the people responsible pay the ultimate price for their crimes, please. And for the rest of us, this ‘cutting corners’ thing didn’t start today. Of course none of us on here may have jobs that could put people’s lives in danger, but still…’little drops of water….’
    I think I’m done now. Sorry for the epistle.

• sassycassie

June 5, 2012 at 2:19 pm

it’s a well written ”epistle”.

66. Survivor17

June 5, 2012 at 10:34 am

i feel so numb. what a total disregard for and absolute waste of quality human lives…… i have been trying to comprehend these tragedies but i simply cannot understand nor process it all. the losses are devastating and numbing and so so so wrong, giving that they could have been avoided. i was numb. now i cant stop the tears since yesterday. perhaps tomorrow will bring anger through the anguish and losses. Above all, we MUST fight for our rights in this country and it’s faulty and chaotic systems. Enough is enough……. 🙁 🙁

67. oluwadamilola

June 5, 2012 at 10:37 am

Evenduo I don’t knw nybody involved in d plane crash,I can’t stop feelin bad.can’t stop crying,am sad.if am goin thru dis den am wondering wat d families re goin thru.dis is bad.dey dint deserve 2die.my God wat is going on ..our leaders God wil judge u.I won’t curse or pray 4u pple..u won’t find peace.sorry I fink am cursing u guys alrdy but dat is wat u deserve.may d souls of d departed rest in peace.it is well.**crying**

68. nessa

June 5, 2012 at 11:11 am

Wat a great loos. God you are the only one we look up to, and i know you never slumber nor sleep, you are always awake to see watching over us. Hmmmmm, i lost a family friend in the crash too, Lt col Jumbo Ochigbo. May the soul of Jumbo ochibgo and the fateful departed rest in perfect peace Amen. Please let us be on the lord’s side always because we do not know the time and place death will come.

69. Amy

June 5, 2012 at 12:10 pm

There is nothing more tragic than this. I lost my dad last year June and I can say I dint feel this much pain. I just don’t understand the kind of pain I feel right now. I know a friend asuquo iniobong, an only child of her parents of over 60 years in that plane. I head the house fellowship in their house in Abuja. I cant explain the kind of pain the parents are in and worse is I don’t know how to console them. My heart bleeds for a young promising lady who in the first time took a long long time to come to the world. I feel for the families of all involved and only God can comfort and console them. If only tears could bring them back,sure we ll all have cried rivers to bring them back. I can’t stop imagining their state when they knew the plane would crash……..most horrifying and tormenting moments. It is indeed well is all I can leave them with. God is unquestionable!

70. Sarah

June 5, 2012 at 2:18 pm

May God be with the family of all that died . We Nigerian should wake up!!! The way the politicians are running our country is not acceptable. A lot of our politicians are so caught up trying to take care of only their rooms and neglecting the house. It is a big shame that we don’t have a good emergency unit. How about invest $500,000 in the fire department. These are basic things that should be accessible to an oil producing country like Nigeria. If I am a Nigerian politician, I will be ashamed driving around in Bentleys, living in million dollar homes, and yet no proper infrastructure in the country. NO good roads, No good hospitals, NO adequate fire department, no proper protocol for emergencies, NO competent Aviation minister to enforce good safety aviation. My heart really bleeds for this country smh

71. Sarah

June 5, 2012 at 2:24 pm

sorry for the typos. We Nigerians should wake up!!! NO competent Aviation minister to enforce good standard of operation in our aviation sector

72. MsTilii

June 5, 2012 at 2:39 pm

BN could you find out for me if there is any where i can donate to a fund for the 3 little children of Ayodele Cole and Wife, Ngozi. God spoke to my heart and these are the suddenely orphaned kids i will like to lend a helping hand to. Please help me get some information.

73. TimiNY

June 5, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Do I expect anything to change in Nigeria? Two plane crashes, tanker explosion, suicide bombing. It has happened in the past and is still happening. At this point, our concern should not be about whether we have lost friends or family in fatal accidents caused by sheer negligence in a country where practically everything has failed. This is a wake-up call because it could have happened to any of us. The aviation industry is just one of the many failed sectors of the economy. To be honest, the only functioning part of Nigeria is entertainment which I personally think is worthless.
    I attended the same high school with Wale Eribake…wonderful guy but hey for how long are we going to keep losing family and friends to what many would call a mishap (because it could have happened in any country). I lost my only brother to a failed healthcare system in 2001 leaving me as an only child. I still live with those wounds. I remember as a kid that “o ma da” in yoruba meaning “it shall be well” was one of the most commonly used phrases and if people still say that in 2012 then I wonder when it’ll be. We have kept the same poor mentality since 1960. I could still be hopeful if I still kept the believe in us the people but no I stopped believing. The average Nigerian’s mind-conditioning is so bad that all we think about is how to oppress our next-door neighbour and make them see we’re the only ones that deserve God’s blessings. We have become so selfish as a people. What happened to Mark 12:31? “Love your neighbour as yourself. There’s no commandment greater than these”. All we go to church/mosque to pray about is for God to bless our families so we could flourish in wealth but we always seem to forget Mark 8:36 which says “For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul?” We cherish wordly possessions more than our own souls…very sad. I thought leadership was our only plague but I just realized followership is utterly pathetic. Nigeria is the only country where a leader will embezzle money to the people’s face and yet he will be celebrated. Many of us have these shameful leaders as friends and family. We also sing their praises so as to benefit from their largesse but we forget that people have been subjected to all sorts of pain from this dreadful action and as a result these helpless people curse and obviously the curses trickle down…..(food for thought)
    We also prefer circumstances caused by our evil-minded leaders to take our lives rather than we taking the fight to them and letting fate decide when we live or die. Am I surprised? Maybe yes if I hadn’t listened to Fela’s track “suffering and smiling” but seriously people “se na like this we go dey dey?” My heart is heavy, there are so many questions on my mind begging to be answered. Where did we go wrong? How do we right our wrongs? How we do start building a strong value system? What motivation do we need to stand up for ourselves?
    ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

• Purpleicious Babe

June 6, 2012 at 12:06 am

WOW…

74. AngryNigerianInTheUs

June 5, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Is it true that the Dana plane was distressed for a while but could not make an emergency landing because the airspace was closed for 2 hours for the Presidential Jet carrying Dame Patience Goodluck Jonathan.

Private jet owners who had to hover in the air same time leaked this. This was apparently the reason local news didn’t report the crash for so long till CNN and foreign news stations started reporting it.

Local news was ‘blacked out’ trying to kill the story of the airspace being closed while a distressed plane couldn’t land.

It would be shocking if so. Though there was engine failure there was still time for the plane to have landed apparently.

You do know anyway that the airspace is closed for up to 2hours each time the Presidential Jet needs to go into the air? 2 hours for a 15minute take off or landing!

And this jet is used by President, VP, President’s wife and if I recall David Mark.

It’s almost a daily occurrence I’ve been told by airline staff when it caught me out on a trip

The truth remains that the President’s wife was actually in Lagos to attend the christening of their personal assistant’s child at the Oriental hotel.. Lekki. Anyone living on the Lekki axis saw first hand the horrendous traffic caused by the president’s wife’s visit..and confirmed reports from airport staff who volunteered information, collaborated this fact, that the Lagos airport was actually shut for 2 hours, about the same time the ill fated Dana Plane crashed. This also strongly explains the reason why Aero contractor airplane could not depart Abuja for Lagos at 3:40pm because of the closure of the Lagos airport. This is criminal and one can only imagine the deep sorrow ad-in-finitum (without limit) that the families of these unfortunate Nigerians and other nationals are currently plagued into. Grief that is so thick in the air, that one can cut through with a knife…rooted soul searching. Yes we have to and yes we can; beginning from our immediate homes and While we pray for the repose of the souls of the departed, we need as a nation to thoroughly do some deep ommunities.. with time this will snowball into our National consciousness. For how long are we going to sacrifice the lives of our dear brothers and sisters and by extension mortgage the future of their/our children, just for the comfort of our leaders? For a 15 minutes ritual of plane take-off, an airport was shut for 2 hours because our “DEAR FIRST LADY” was scheduled to return to Abuja.. OH merciful God, help Nigeria in Distress!”

NIgerians need to know what happened?who closed the airstrip for two hours on sunday june 3,2012????

75. onyi

June 5, 2012 at 5:03 pm

my God… were flying a 20 plus year old aircaft??there is a lot of things wrong in Nigeria, people intrested in their selfish intrest only, corruption has to go, bribery has to go,, prayer is good but something has to be done people have to be accounted for their actions we cant keep on sweeping things under the rug and calling God there..it is disgraceful really. Dana my foot…alll the airlies operating in nigeria need to be checked from staff training, to airline saftey, they should be a committe by nigerian govt. incharge of checking all airlies maintainace and safety at least twice a month,,there should be fines, withdrawing of license and punishment if the standards are not met==common sense etc…i lost an uncle to the sosoliso crash and this again more people are dying.. this is absolute bullshit..we need a leader that has balls to get things right.. no one will help us do it we as nigerians have to do it ourselves..what a shame for a country??of all the things i love about nigeria, we have to live a better life and be safe..stopping corruption is one of them..

76. Seyi

June 5, 2012 at 5:11 pm

RIP to all the victims.

I see a lot of complaints (as usual) here but i just ask one question, as a citizen what cause are you going to take or are you just going to continue to sit back and complain and leave everything up to the leaders you put in office to make the decisions.

Tis about time africans citizens stop complaining out bad leadership – ask what YOU can do for the nation, what cause you can take. Are you going to sit for the leaders to give rights to foreign nationals (eg INDIANS and CHINESE) to serve the people junk for more profit

What will I do. What i will do is if airlines dont publish annual data on when the air craft was serviced and how old the aircraft is – i will not fly them and tell all my friends and family not to. Like financial annual report – i want to see the history of service for all airlines i fly. Every lil helps

• Purpleicious Babe

June 6, 2012 at 12:09 am

I suppose that a good step to start.

77. Seriously

June 5, 2012 at 5:23 pm

No words can describe the emotions running through my body. May they all REST IN PERFECT PEACE. God, comfort, console the wives, husbands, uncle, aunt, daughter, son, nephew, niece, in laws dealing with the loss.

78. cocolette

June 5, 2012 at 6:59 pm

May the souls of the faithful departed rest in perfect peace..Amen! God will definitely judge those who are in anyway connected to this disaster.

79. iTawa

June 5, 2012 at 8:25 pm

*tears* my heart bleeds…cos God has definitely left Nigeria! May their souls rest in peace #omgthethreebabies! *crying*

80. Gbemmy

June 6, 2012 at 2:26 am

RIP to all the departed and i pray God grant them eternal rest and have mercy on their souls. When i heard didn’t really feel the impact because it didn’t sink in yet; as a matter of fact i still went ahead to party that night. It started making sense just Yesterday and since then can’t get my mind of the tragedy. Then today i realized i lost a dear friend/big bro to me;then i started praying to God for the salvation of my soul and for me to make heaven.

This is an eye opener for us all;oh God i can’t even imagine the pains in their hearts thinking they were all gonna die a tragic death. God the children and everyone on that plane;i hope God please have mercy on them and let them make heaven. We alive now have a chance to re-dedicate our lives to Christ. Let us all chase the kingdom of God because after death;Judgement is next. Seek God first and every other thing will follow. Make peace with your Maker because JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY. DEDICATE YOUR LIFE TO HIM. I pray God have mercy on Nigeria and let peace reign in the World. Amen. RIP

81. God'sgift Alfred

June 6, 2012 at 2:44 am

Its so tragic, am short of words. Even in their own houx death took dem away. Look at d 1daful lives dat death snatch away….. All i have 2 say is dat God shuld grant their families n loved ones d heart 2 bear d lost…… WE LOVE U ALL BT GOD LOVE U GUYS MOST…… MAY UR SOULS REST IN D BOSSOM OF D LORD …… AMEN.

82. ihuoma ken ohiorenoya

June 6, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I keep replaying imaginary scenes of what their last minutes could have been like…
    Coming face to face like that with death.It must have been horrible to see.Look at their lovely faces in the pictures,so full of life.A fine breed of people.It is painful to think that such beautiful people faced such an ugly death situation.Please lets not take this lying low.Really,we where the ones on that plane.It could have been anybody.Let their death not be in vain.I have no brilliant ideas to suggest but I pray something good,a very positive and heart-gladdening change/revolution ,comes out of these ashes…

83. PD

June 6, 2012 at 3:35 pm

i remember hearing the news from my cousin that came to eat efo riro at my place in agege…..also present my 2 frds…..we were just chatting about shoes n bags and browsing the internet talking abt working hard but little money for holidays….daydreaming aloud….then my cousin was like plane crash in agege….i was like dem don start ooooo….no mind dem….where u c crash?abi no be agege we dey so?u go see toy plane now if u open dat link…..how i wish it was really a toy plane…..Dana airline ….my fav airline……i cant get over it……i just realise i was busy dreaming abt shoes when over 163 people were dying an horrific death….God Almighty ….i cant get over it….i pray God should strenghten friends and families that they left behind .May the souls of the departed rest in Perfect Peace Amen….Am moving closer to God oh….this Life ……..

84. lili

June 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

May God grant there families the fortitude to bear the loss. may there soul rest in peace, Amen.

85. NC

June 9, 2012 at 8:21 am

This incident is soo painful. I cannot imagine what the bereaved are going through. I lost my parents at a really young age and till today it hurts…Beautiful people with bright futures ahead of them. Its time we citizens of Nigeria protest, voice our opinions, speak against corruption. How many lives will be lost due to poor infrastructure. We dont have power, electricity yet the govt want to speak about gay rights. Nigerian leaders walk before you run, run before you fly. Enough is enough! Look at what other African countries are doing with their aviation industry, partnering with top airlines to revamp the industry, eg, Kenya. If our leaders are not going to take action perhaps we at the bottom need to take action. To the bereaved; at this time pls take consolation in the fact that we are all weeping with you!
    1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. 14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage one another with these words.

86. VOKA

June 12, 2012 at 9:19 am

What can the leaving do ? Just to say may their souls rest in peace till we meet to part no more.

87. Midae

June 14, 2012 at 6:04 pm

88. Teetee

June 19, 2012 at 3:54 pm

May there sould rest in perfect peace and to my cousin Wale Eribake, it’s still a shock that you are no more.

89. IVORY CHI

July 18, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Still in shock…Still in pain..RIP to all…God please comfort us all

90. HRS

June 3, 2013 at 1:03 pm

One year after….. It”s truly sad…. Dear beautiful souls… RIP

91. Fred Grant

July 17, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammunition!