News

London 2012 Olympic Moments: Style Highlights of the Teams at the Opening Ceremony – Which is your Best Dressed Team?

Teams from the over 200 countries participating in the London 2012 Olympic Games did not disappoint with their brilliant display of colours, style and culture at the event’s opening ceremony last night. From traditional African attires, to vintage European costumes, to stylish Carribean attires, participants from across seven continents brought an interesting mix to the sports ground.

Here are 10 of my favourites:

Red Hot

Team Paraguay

Can’t get it wrong with an Armani Suit

Team Italy

Loving the Black & Yellow Combo

Team Jamaica

Pulling it off with Orange Pants

Team Netherlands

A vision in White & Roses

Team Poland

Gorgeous Simplicity

Team Sweden

Looks like they’re going to the disco

Team Great Britain

Pink for Girls, Blue for Boys – Nice!

Team Germany

A splash of colours

Team Mexico

Geles and Smiles all the way!

Team Nigeria

What do you think about the style display at the opening ceremony? Which is your best dressed team?

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. @ajiriavae

July 28, 2012 at 3:19 pm

To me paraguay for their simplicity and elegant, followed by Jamaica in what looks like Ankara, then Mexico for their fun outfits.

2. Yaoundé237

July 28, 2012 at 3:21 pm

errm Paraguay thank you…
    how come cameroon didn’t feature ehn?lol

• Tiki

July 30, 2012 at 5:03 pm

As in! That is unfair, Cameroon’s outfit rocked! #Team237 Oyééé!

Plus, Italy is so boring! how did they get here?

3. obah

July 28, 2012 at 3:22 pm

In asmuch as I like the display of coperate suits n diff colours,nigeria’s outfit did it 4 me,their outfit is a display to show we ve a culture.

• VOKA

July 29, 2012 at 9:07 am

I sincereley agree with you.

4. Bee

July 28, 2012 at 3:32 pm

For me, Team Germany! Point down. White pant, pink/ blue jacket. D opening ceremony made me look deep into fashion. I really dnt hv a white pant, bt will go searching for one. Why will our dear nigeria wear such? This ws d same tin dey wore at abuja carnival. 2yrs ago and last year. na wa oo. Ws expecting green pant and white jacket then a green or white hat.

• femena

July 28, 2012 at 9:34 pm

team Germany looks like candy wrappers…#teamnooffence

5. speaking of Which

July 28, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Team Nigeria for meee

6. wsb

July 28, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Team Sweden all way! perfect blend of sporty,classy and casual. The colours work wonders for their skin too. Love the delicate print on the Polish team. I rather liked Team USA as well.

7. quel

July 28, 2012 at 3:45 pm

yayyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! team jamaica all the way. then my second love ofcourse team nigeria.

8. hmmm

July 28, 2012 at 3:50 pm

America got decked by Ralph Lauren, Italy got styled Armani, Britain adorned by Stella McCartney, Nigeria got …..by Iya Silifa the tailor upon all the one million and one so called Creative Directors (they all wish smh) no one can take upon the mantle of designing a nice outfit for Team Nigeria even Nigerian delegates were not there to cheer them on in the Presidential stands,…..shame on naijas show off is all they know at least if the so called big 4 designers could have stepped up at least they would have got a mention its another way of pushing your brand..Nigeria come-on and lets get our acts together

• ConcernedNigerian

July 28, 2012 at 4:49 pm

My sentiments exactly! Thank you for speaking the plain truth!

• onut

July 28, 2012 at 6:33 pm

So is it about big designers now? Sorry I just can’t reason with that. Team Nigeria’s outfits were simple and quite nice in my opinion – which should be the point, not who made the outfits. I would even be happier if an up and coming unknown designer made the outfits than a Tiffany Amber or House of Nwokocha, or whoever is reigning these days. It gets so old when we have to criticize every single thing we do in Nigeria – geeeez!

• Finolee

July 28, 2012 at 8:50 pm

3/4 of the population cannot afford these big designer names…and so what if other countries were dressed by Nigerians? Is it a fashion show?Follow follow mentality will kill some of you…Iya Silifa is the reason some of us can go out looking fly and confident..Keep wearing your N100,00k Deola Sagoe and Jewel by Lisa (That Iya Silifa kuku ma makes in the back room anyways)!!

• Finolee

July 28, 2012 at 8:52 pm

“…and so what if other countries were dressed by designers”

• BrittanyVaughn

July 28, 2012 at 9:27 pm

@ Finolee It’s a one in a life time occasion for so many people and so they should have gotten a contract with a good clothing creative designer. If you were doing a once in a life celebration or have a very special occasion in your life; you wouldn’t get just anykinda Tailor for your dress. You would want to get someone that really knows what they are doing.

• @ajiriavae

July 28, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Sweetheart, I’m sure if the LOC had shown interest, a lot of designers would have jumped at the opportunity. Too busy looking for the cheapest option.

• Zara

July 29, 2012 at 12:42 am

You sound so ignorant and it’s such a shame! Get out of here with your big designer comment. Just so you know Americans hate the Ralph Lauren designed outfits and have voiced their opinions which forced RL to apologize! You may hate the fact that no big designer designed Nigeria’s Olympic outfits but guess what? The outfits represented us very well and that’s all that matters to some of us who actually support and appreciate our own. It’s not always about big name designer.

• Leanne

July 30, 2012 at 12:08 am

designer or no designer, what is that rubbish green slash in their blouse n skirt ?! the official went out shopping so they cldn make it lol!

9. Theodora

July 28, 2012 at 3:52 pm

team germany, team poland ,team sweden, team Netherlands…and of Course My very own TEAM NIGERIA. lovely outfits

10. JO!

July 28, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Errrrm, “did not fail to disappoint”????? First line, hello???

11. Mayowa

July 28, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Belgium will def feature in my top 10

12. Africandecor(click)

July 28, 2012 at 3:58 pm

well i was just relieved team naija didn’t go wearing jersey…. and hey i’m all for my team GB, but mexico with it’s splash of colour… uuuuhn

13. Lola

July 28, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Definitely not Nigeria

14. melly

July 28, 2012 at 4:13 pm

i love the germans cos pink is my best color, but my overall best are the americans.

15. CK

July 28, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Team jamaia all the way no time

16. CK

July 28, 2012 at 4:29 pm

jamaica

17. Chikaka

July 28, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Serbia 1st; had a nice white, red and navy blue horizontal stripe cardigan. Plus i love Novak. Sweden; 2nd.

18. Lizzie

July 28, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Usain Bolt….. you’re the only one i see baby, lol. Them try sha.

19. Rey

July 28, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Nigeria, fantastic. Loooove it!

20. ola

July 28, 2012 at 5:33 pm

nice opening ceremony,i can see Nigeria without protocol..

21. Anon

July 28, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Team USA

22. Rhoda

July 28, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Nigeria we hail thee. lol! Where are all our creative designers?!

• BrittanyVaughn

July 28, 2012 at 5:57 pm

That’s the same question I was asking

23. tete

July 28, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Jamaica.what happened 2 all the good designs we have here at home , wht was d idea behind those outfits,especially d one 4 d ladies.hmmmmm.

24. BrittanyVaughn

July 28, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Team USA all the way

25. Ready

July 28, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I feel like for many of us, there’s a constant war between tradition and modernity. Tell me what you’d have preferred like a Deola Sagoe/Virgos Lounge/Obsidian to design for our athletes that’d have shown that we are Nigerians. To me o, the Olympics is not a place to show Naija haute couture..it’s to show our culture.
    The opening ceremony initialy damn near bored me to tears but you could see the Brits were proud to show their history and I respect that.
    Besides, the Iya Silifas and their businesses keep the economy going and are why many of us can afford not to pay 50k for Naija “designer” items. For me, staying up to see our costume was worth it..and there was a lot of sexiness on display from many other countries as well.

• lori

July 28, 2012 at 8:58 pm

yes iya silifa gets the economy going kudos to them but we are the same pple that wants to be creative directors like every designer in the world so why cant we come out and feature mscheww

• Zara

July 29, 2012 at 12:54 am

The first lady of America doesn’t always were big name designers, she’s seen many times wearing local designers and she’s always looked nice. So, why are you people hating on a local designer? Despite Ralph Lauren being a big name designer in America, guess what? The outfits he designed were heavily criticized. It’s not about big name designer it’s about how well the outfits repped the country and I think Nigeria’s did excellent. I bet you if Sagoe or Jewel had designed hideous outfits you all would have approved just because of who they are. Pathetic!

26. habba!

July 28, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Nigeria, Paraguay, Mexico, Jamaica, Netherlands, Poland, Sweden, Great Britain, Germany. (in order)….. Germany looked soo damn ruff! GB looked stupid. Sweden looked like they were going to bed. Poland looked Simple. Netherlands Tried, Jamaica was good. Mexico rep their Culture, Paraguay was elegant, Nigeria Shined with their attitudes and head tie!

27. anonymous

July 28, 2012 at 6:47 pm

am so inlove with d green white green,looks gorgeous on dem,if u ask any Jamaican abt d best outfit am preeti sure dey will choose deres why cnt we support our country no matter wat,haters go fing somfin doin,alakwa.

28. Finolee

July 28, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Team Netherland!!loved the preppy look

29. eku

July 28, 2012 at 8:47 pm

with people like you naija cant move forward, someone is saying the truth but you are burying your head in the sand, I believe what the writer is trying to justify is there are too many so called designers or so they call themselves so why cant one do the job big 4 or upcoming the msg is still the same. I watched the show as well and yes those designers got a mention so you can see its a window pf opportunity, SPORTS MEET FASHION nii

30. eku

July 28, 2012 at 8:48 pm

*of

31. Angela

July 28, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Poland !!!

32. Akinyele

July 28, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Team Netherland nailed it for me!

33. Christine

July 28, 2012 at 9:08 pm

netherlands! team oranj stays killing it. the men looked gorgeous and i love the little pocket flower, very gentile!

34. San

July 28, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Gotta love the Italians.. Head to toe in Armani !
    Team Naija- whats with the brother in shades- please-o !
    & of course my beloved Uganda!!

35. Marek

July 28, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Re. Poland,
    these were not roses on the skirts but POPPIES – the flowers of the Polish countryside in summer. You may say an unofficial national flower of Poland.

36. Princess of Zion

July 28, 2012 at 10:11 pm

All very beautiful but I have to say that Germany and Jamaica got my vote! The colours and with Germany, the pink blue did it for me.

37. tee

July 28, 2012 at 10:26 pm

The Americans Ralph Lauren outfit was on point without the beret thou..

38. BROKENHEARTED

July 28, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Netherlands! stylish and particularly in trend with the season’s colours.

39. ayuba shehu

July 28, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I luv nigeiar alway nigeiar (GLO))

40. Me2me

July 29, 2012 at 12:19 am

Jamaica all d way. I feel Nigeria could have done better with all the awesome designers we have

41. Zara

July 29, 2012 at 1:04 am

Mehn some of you are bunch of self-hating unpatriotic bunch! Stop with the obsession with big name designers especially when your one month paycheck can’t even afford them. Team Nigeria did an excellent job and the designer of their outfits did a great job! A lot of Nigerians (myself included) were proud of the designs and I think our athletes owned that ceremony. They looked amazing! The Ralph Lauren you guys are obsessed with disappointed Americans by that un-American outfits he designed and to make it worst they were made in China.

• EricaLupe

July 30, 2012 at 4:49 pm

It’s not about the designers, Nigeria could have gotten a better creative designer for their outfit- It doesn’t necessarily have to be a top designer.

42. Tayo

July 29, 2012 at 4:00 am

Team Netherlands!! They deserve a fashion mag editorial spread 😉

43. NNENNE

July 29, 2012 at 5:20 am

Naija!!!!!

44. LPS

July 29, 2012 at 6:27 am

45. clara

July 29, 2012 at 6:57 am

Paraguayan team was elegant and simple. I like it.

46. Ladi

July 29, 2012 at 8:53 am

Bellanaija,

Are these the only countries in the world? Sorry, but the African and Asian countries did much better than any of these Oyibo jokers up there. Lolz.

Dunno why we must always suck up to the West even in a fashion post. Then you just threw Nigeria in there?

Nigeria was amazing anyway.

47. ola

July 29, 2012 at 6:19 pm

team nigeria is great joor..more news and gist here at http://www.gistyinka.com

48. Anonymous

July 30, 2012 at 8:58 am

I liked team USA, with their swag.

49. BIMBY

July 30, 2012 at 9:24 am

Team Naija sha? The gele tying wasn’t professional.

50. elle

July 30, 2012 at 9:30 am

if u think dressing in native/iro n buba is d best way to display the nigerian culture then by all means, go ahead. just dont drape our supporters with white guinea n green tafetta…..eeew! Pple, pls dont be quick to forget dat in9ja, its all abt contracts… and even if d best designers had offered to cloth them for free, they wud hv had to beg n hound the persons in charge. Smh gaaan

51. lilz

July 30, 2012 at 10:22 am

Netherlands AWESOME

52. Nat

July 30, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Dear Adeola,
    The flowers on Polish dresses are not roses, but poppies.
    You’re welcome,
    Nat

53. Dayo

July 30, 2012 at 1:04 pm

NAIJA all the way! I’m proud…

54. Asa nwa

July 30, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Germany

55. Idid

July 31, 2012 at 11:09 am

I don’t understand why nigerians cannot be patriotic for once. People always find something to criticise. I was up late, waiting to see Nigeria’s outfit n I wasn’t a bit disappointed because the outfits represented us well. We have a rich culture and we should be proud of it and not always seek to copy other countries’ culture! Haba! Team Nigeria all the way joor!

56. kevin33333

July 31, 2012 at 8:30 pm

America always impresses the crowd and I think that they are so patriotic. For so long, I think the US has the best flag in the world. their colours are adorable and warm. I just love to see them. For Jamaica, I think that their colours are a bit boring in the outfits, but the style of the uniform was cute, but too much dark shades created a bit of confusion; it was too sophisticated. As for Germany, I think they have the perfect colours for a lovely Olympic; I love the bright friendly colours. I think Nigeria looked really neat in their dresses, it was spectacular to see them.
    1. USA
    2. Germany
    3. Nigeria
    4. Jamaica
    5. paraguay

57. Bianca

August 12, 2012 at 8:26 pm

For me Jamaica,followed by Nigeria,then Neither Land.