News

BN Bytes: “She Means a Lot to Me” Nigerian Music Star Peter Okoye of P-Square, throws a Surprise Birthday Party for Girlfriend, Lola Omotayo in Lagos

Peter Okoye & Lola Omotayo

On Sunday 2nd September 2012, Peter Okoye of the dynamic Nigerian Afro-Pop group, P-Square, threw a surprise birthday party for his longtime girlfriend and mother of  his son, Lola Omotayo at Westfoster Harbour on Queens Drive in Ikoyi, Lagos.

The birthday girl, Lola Omotayo who is presently pregnant with the couple’s second child, looked glam in a black dress with a brown sequined skirt. She accessorized her look with drop down chandelier earrings, black necklace and a sleek side hair do.

In attendance at the party were her father, Mr Omotayo, cousins, close friends and team as well as Peter’s sisters Lilian and Mary, cousins and friends and the Managing Director of DANA Air, Jacky Hathiramani and his wife.

According to a source, Lola was taken by surprise as she wasn’t aware that Peter had organized a party for her. He told her that they were going to West Fosters, Ikoyi, Lagos to have a fun day, but on arrival, she was greeted by all with SURPRISE. Shortly after they began to sing the birthday song.

Speaking on the Surprise birthday party, the award winning music star, said “She is a wonderful woman, who means a lot to me. Special people deserve special things like this”

Snapshots

Lola’s Birthday Cake

Mr Omotayo (Lola’s Father) with the couple

Peter Okoye & Jacky Hathiramani (DANA Air MD)

Peter Okoye with his sisters, Lilian & Mary with Mr Omotayo

Lola Omotayo, Peter Okoye & Jacky Hathiramani with his wife

Credit: Square Image Associates

1. Oma

September 4, 2012 at 5:06 pm

That’s so sweet.
    Nigerian guys should please watch and learn #justsaying

• Chiko

September 5, 2012 at 8:49 am

Ummmmm learn what?? lol ppl have come now. I’m Naija am married to a Naija guy, and a previous bday, my husband completely surprised me down to covering the entire house with rose petals and all, while I was sleeping.
      There are many Naija guys who have “learned”, pls raise your expectations abeg.

2. chuchusweets

September 4, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Why on earth wont he marry the woman? Kai keeps knocking her up, why na??? I dont want surprise party jo, pls put a ring on it abeg!!!

• Rachael Kelly-Taylor

September 4, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Laide what the heck do you mean by “we aint Americans” You know what I am American and I believe in getting Married before having children but I am not going to force that down anybody’s throat. Everyone’s standard and beliefs are different, so what if she decides not to get married; Laide how does that affect your life.

• olpa

September 4, 2012 at 9:22 pm

You aint americans but you want him to take her down the aisle in church.I hope you realise that that form of marriage is a western concept!I wonder how e dey take chook you all of una. Many Nigerian women are in bondage in their married lives but they refuse to leave because of myopic people like you who think marriage is a do or die affair. Pls face your front and stop forcing your myopic thinking down our throats.

• Knorryeh

September 5, 2012 at 10:00 am

Racheal and Olpa u two are the ones that need to face front!!! What do u mean Laide should stop “shoving his/her ideas down your throats?” Did s/he print wedding invites on behalf of Peter and Lola and force you to attend? Like seriously whats your point? are people no longer entitled to their opinions and views on here? And YES! we are not Americans!! Deal with it!

• Rachael Kelly-Taylor

September 5, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Knorryeh you know what I am very proud to be an American and I wouldn’t trade it for a myopic and shallow minded Nigerian. I am glad I live in a country where I have the freedom to worship whatever God I choose to, believe in whatever I choose to and have my own standards as long as I am not causing bodily injury on anyone. I don’t have to be worried about what the likes of you would say because I am not living my life for you, traditions, or society. It’s the likes of you and some other people writing here that will tell a woman to stay in a Physical and Sexually abusive marriage because you are too concerned of what society thinks. I have nothing wrong with people having their opinion, if you read carefully what I wrote I said I believe in getting married before having kids but I am not going to shove what I believe on anybody. There are tons of women in Nigeria who claim to be married for 25 yrs or should I say have been in bondage for the past 25 yrs, their marriage is loveless, husband beats them everyday, verbally and emotionally abuses them — but they can’t leave because they are worried about what people like you would say. They would rather stick to the abusive marriage than come out. I don’t think what I believe is the one and only true way. You are free to believe what you want to or state your opinion as long as you don’t think your opinion is the one and only truth. PEACE

• new bride

September 5, 2012 at 10:10 am

How about asking her why she keeps letting herself get knocked up? Remember that it takes two to make a baby!

3. greta

September 4, 2012 at 5:06 pm

if she means that much to you…just marry her:-)

4. tracy

September 4, 2012 at 5:07 pm

good for them. yayyy!!!am the first today….

5. Bisi

September 4, 2012 at 5:08 pm

How sweet!

6. lu

September 4, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Awwwwww, but put the ring on it na peter. She’s beautiful.

7. Chi Nwa

September 4, 2012 at 5:15 pm

“She is a wonderful woman, who means a lot to me. Special people deserve special things like this” oh but she’s not wonderful or special enough to marry abi Mr Peter Okoye? u just dey fire dey go free of charge,e kwa ?…oooppsss! HBD LOla.

• faith

September 5, 2012 at 3:20 pm

hahahaha…no mind peter…

8. Tumbi

September 4, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Peter is an awesome dude and I adore Lola so much……that’s one tough woman who has stood by her man despite all the scandals and controversy. It ain’t easy dating an artiste but she sure is as strong as nails!

9. Thatgidigirl

September 4, 2012 at 5:29 pm

@ Narrow minded greta, who died and made you Lola’s advocate? Its possible she doesnt want to get married , and that’s not a crime!

• Concerned Citizen

September 4, 2012 at 5:58 pm

*yimu*

• Amber Lake

September 4, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Who made you the marriage spokes person. As an adult isn’t everyone entitled to do whatever rocks their boat. Does everyone have to do what you will do or what majority of the people in the society is doing. Is she physically harming you or anyone with what she is doing: I don’t think so. Lola Omotayo is living her life for herself and not you so why should your validation matter. Keep living your life to the fullest and let Lola be.

10. Trendysturvs

September 4, 2012 at 5:31 pm

11. majo

September 4, 2012 at 6:02 pm

had no idea psquare was doing like tuface in this area o! instead of him to throw surprise engagement, he threw a bday party. insult to injury. and WHAT is dana’s chair doing there? celebrating when so many people died at their hands?

12. brandigest

September 4, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Daddy is wondering what is keeping Peter from getting married to my daughter ASAP.

13. akon

September 4, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I like Lilian Okoye…is she still avail???

14. chi

September 4, 2012 at 6:18 pm

dana air MD?????hmmmmm

15. lukman

September 4, 2012 at 6:19 pm

love this Igbo-Yoruba combo. 1 NAIJA!

16. Amiphat

September 4, 2012 at 6:34 pm

All well and good, but am I the only one scandalized by the fact her Dad actually showed up for the “party”? Seriously, has Nigeria become so westernized and “modern” that you no longer follow the man who impregnated your daughter (twice) with a cutlass?

Even amongst yoruba’s who say “omo, lomo je” (or something that translates to “a child is a child and blameless), I find it weird that the Father has no qualms with his daughter being an un-married baby-manufacturer.

Maybe I’m just old.

17. I am Nneka

September 4, 2012 at 6:35 pm

He loves her no doubt. The fact that Lola seems muted all these years seals it for me.she just ignores it all

18. Chizara

September 4, 2012 at 6:35 pm

…throw her a surprise wedding! @Thatgidigirl…nothing narrow minded about suggesting that he marry her. As for the Dana air MD…really?

19. Vero

September 4, 2012 at 6:40 pm

She means so much to you but not enough for you to make her your wife? Okay o!

20. habba!

September 4, 2012 at 6:42 pm

DANA air was there? chai :'(

21. Brittle Paper

September 4, 2012 at 7:00 pm

What is Dana Air Chairman doing there? Am I the only one who thinks there’s something wrong with that scenario?

22. Onyi

September 4, 2012 at 7:09 pm

If she means soo much to u then put a ring on it joor abi na birthday we go chop

23. me

September 4, 2012 at 8:00 pm

so dana air md abi wotever can still party!!na wa

24. konnie

September 4, 2012 at 8:35 pm

lovely woman. Happy pregnancy and safe delivery.
    Those Okoye ladies are quite lovely.
    People stop frothing on behalf of Lola. She seems quite capable, inteligent and independent. Has anybody asked her if she wants to get married? It’s her choice not yours.

25. Teefah

September 4, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Everyone talking about how Peter needs to do right by her and marry the girl…Have y’all taken the time to think maybe Lola herself does not want to get married?! Maybe she just wants to have kids. Wetin be ur own there?

The photo with the Dana Air MD SMH, no one’s saying the man should crawl under a rock and remain there forever (actually maybe he should) but an official report on the cause of the air crash hasn’t been released, families haven’t been compensated and only a few weeks ago were some families finally able to bury their loved ones and he’s out partying with superstars SMH. Peter this isn’t good PR for u o

• Bili

September 4, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Bad bad PR!!!!!

26. Madam the Madam

September 4, 2012 at 9:00 pm

SO this Dana MD that killed 153 people had the nerve to show his face. Idiot!

27. nich

September 4, 2012 at 9:12 pm

lola studied and grew up in the states……..she knows fully what she is doing………………

• ????

September 4, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I’m not for or against any or this, but what in the world does studying in the States have to do with knowing what your are doing?? So studying in the States automatically makes you sharp huh?

• Anon

September 4, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Grew up in Lagos but schooled in the states. Big difference.

28. Mssexy

September 4, 2012 at 10:06 pm

what a freak???? if she means a lot to u put a ring on her damn finger gush
    as if d tin concern me self

29. Cool cat

September 4, 2012 at 10:12 pm

She means a lot to you, you knocked her up dude, d’uhhhhh. Lol. I can understand why peeps think he should marry her already, but to each his own. If both parties are comfortable with this arrangement, all well and good. I just hope he won’t go marrying a different chic somewhere down the line. I can very much say they are the most gorgeous couple in Africa, should be a cime for such hotness, he both of them!

30. Italian Princess

September 4, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I’m completely appalled by some of the things I’ve read here this evening. All of you who are asking that Peter marries her, biko are you living their lives with them? I’m confused.. how is the “African Culture” one that holds the sanctity of marriage? Am I missing something here? All of y’all acting like puritans and all, please can we take a quick sneak peek into your own lives? Let’s see how unblemished you all are.

I’m not even going to say anything about those of you complaining about the presence of the Dana air MD…

I will leave you with these words…. THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT GLASS HOUSES AND PEBBLE HURLING.
    Please be careful.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

September 5, 2012 at 4:58 am

Really? I don’t give a rats a** about Lola and Peter’s relationship, it’s causing no physical harm to anyone and to each their own.

However, on your response to the comments about why the DANA Air MD was there… Really? Let me ask you, if you lost multiple people on that flight, which went down because the management of that airline made a commercial decision to continue flying of a plane known to be faulty, would you be boogying right next to the DANA Air MD? It’s some messed up PR that he’s even there posing with celebrities and grinning like an idiot when families only recently had the opportunity to bury their loved ones and the tragedy is still relatively fresh in the country’s consciousness.

But, hey, it’s Nigeria, where money buys you absolution from your sins…. That goon wouldn’t try that ish in a western country, he’d be c-r-u-c-i-f-i-e-d by the tabloids to start with, it’d be terrible publicity for a company trying to regain value for it’s shares and the board of directors would rake him through the coals.

31. tata

September 4, 2012 at 10:56 pm

oga pita. marry her naaaa. her papa wey go there sef. he no dey shame

32. [email protected]

September 4, 2012 at 11:02 pm

What an insult,and the father attends the party seeing his daughter being bred like a *** with no respect for him to ask for his daughters hand ..thats bull!!

33. Eric asikpotony

September 5, 2012 at 1:06 am

Hi! Peter u said she is a wonderful women so pls
    Peter go 4it go ooooooo marry Lola she is a very beautiful women so go Peter

34. Truth be told

September 5, 2012 at 1:25 am

what if she doesn’t want to get married? maybe peter has proposed multiple times and no show for him? naija and her judges, na wa sha.

as for dana MD no comment!

35. tayoor

September 5, 2012 at 3:10 am

Lol

36. gimmer

September 5, 2012 at 3:17 am

Lol..Mr Omotayo isn’t a hungry man. he can hold his own. trust me he doesn’t need a dime from the okoyes. lola omotayo was born with a silverspoon dripping water in her mouth…way before peter was born.

• purple

February 22, 2013 at 6:44 am

U must b joking !! Mr omotayo is rich n. Doesn’t need a dime from Peter? Sharrraaap!

37. Nafey

September 5, 2012 at 5:33 am

hmmmmm all this one no concern me abeg. DANA AIR MD shaaaaaa. You fit show face for public? like really? are you for real? hmmmm Nigerians are soooooo forgiving. these guys should be locked up for sometime then deported back to go and kill some off the population in india……………………………….sorry i’m furious……………..

38. Phantom

September 5, 2012 at 8:23 am

Thats right Italian princess, keep your mouth firmly shut about the Dana air MD. like someone said, no one’s asking the dude to go crawl under a rock, but he sure as hell shouldnt be out partying. For petes sakes, some families are yet to recover the body of their loved ones!! My friend lost her husband in that ish; she’s 26.

Seeing that man smiling for the camera pissed me off majorly. While its true that life goes on, this just reeks of insensitivity.

39. Zizie

September 5, 2012 at 8:37 am

All of you screaming marry her now, the babe say she no wan marry, abi na by force, hehehehe

40. teenaa

September 5, 2012 at 8:39 am

wow, and she’s pregnant… out of wedlock, n her father is so proud of her.. SMH Nigerians and money sha……

41. ayetoro kan

September 5, 2012 at 8:59 am

marriage doesnt complete you so if uv chosen to be single that ur own decision to live and be happy with! as for that Dana MD mo palumo fun ! mr peteru,this aint no good PR stunts for u o!

• fairweatherfriendnot

September 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Are you a christian? If yes then you just said crap.

• fairweatherfriendnot

September 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm

That is on this issue of willfully having kids out of wedlock.

42. uju

September 5, 2012 at 9:01 am

abeg lets here word.for CHRISTSAKE its not ryt all.he shuld marry her.u can imagin d dad attendd too.i tot Lord have mercy.not judgein but like seriously d truth needs to b told.goshhhhhhhhhhhhh!nwanna @perter okoye mee d ryt thin BIKO.

43. Zizi

September 5, 2012 at 9:32 am

Lol, very funny comments.

All i can say it’s inadequate to make babies outside marriage. i just hope they plan to get married some day sha. They look so cute together, with their cute son they’ll make a lovely family.

44. pp

September 5, 2012 at 9:33 am

where is Paul?

45. Priscy

September 5, 2012 at 9:36 am

wats d Dana MD doing dere coz he is obviously having a good time. HE shouldn’t be socializing now

46. TruthTeller

September 5, 2012 at 10:18 am

There’s nothing wrong in throwing a surprise party for the one you love, there’s everything wrong in getting someone you’re not married to pregnant and 2 times already! Let’s face it – our culture doesn’t permit it, neither does the religion Peter and his girlfriend profess. Everyone makes mistakes and they’re neither the first nor the last to have children out of wedlock, but it’s wrong to make the mistake seem right by justifying it. There’s just no basis for justification. Having a child out of wedlock is certainly NOT God’s plans even though the child is a blessing 100%. My point is let’s stop justifying that what they’ve done is right.The fact that we have millions of single parents doesn’t make it ever right – God’s standards won’t change for anyone, or any generation!

47. Olayemi

September 5, 2012 at 10:24 am

Am having a filled day LMFAO, interesting comments…….

48. Ade

September 5, 2012 at 10:29 am

@Ampiphat, no you are not just old-you are correct. Regardless of people’s views these days, God’s word remains unchanging. God has said in the Bible (His unchanig word) that:”Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge”. Heb 13:4. God bless you.

49. Ade

September 5, 2012 at 10:29 am

*Unchanging

50. Ade

September 5, 2012 at 10:30 am

*Amiphat

51. kem

September 5, 2012 at 10:31 am

people and their mouth shaa,

52. Sholla

September 5, 2012 at 10:31 am

I’m fed up of some hateful comments on this blog. You tell the truth and you’re tagged a hater, judgmental, bad belle, e.t.c…………the fact is that most people that make such comments may be writing from their own experience. A friend of mine that wrote against single parenthood is a single mother herself.The fact that you try to guide people on the right path does not in any way mean you’re jealous of the person. I’ve seen some constructive criticisms on fashion and insults followed, calling the writer s0 fat, ugly, hateful, broke, e.t.c. (emphasis on constructive criticism)what makes anyone think you’re less attractive than the person you’re criticizing ? we really should mind our language. You’re entitled not to agree with every opinion but really don’t have to be insensitive or insulting about it. Peter and his girlfriend did the wrong thing by having a kid and another on the way out of wedlock and there’s NOTHING cute about it. However if they’ve realized their mistake and ask God for forgiveness, they’re free but it doesn’t change the fact that the mistake has been already made. Even though celebrities do it, it doesn’t change the fact that it’s WRONG!!! for those advocating for it, you may as well follow this western way all the way to eternal damnation. It’s wrong, and please spare me details about being judgmental!

53. babylawyer

September 5, 2012 at 10:33 am

So that Dana MD is still in this country? I am still coming to grips with the idea that a sister/dear friend and other precious lives (including whole families) were taken so abruptly and he has the nerve to be smiling at parties right now? When only recently we received news that the coroner’s inquest into the cause of the crash had been indefinitely suspended?

Only in Nigeria will this kind of disaster occur and an MD of the company that caused the havoc will be seen socializing barely 3 months after. Shows how little regard they have for Nigerian public opinion.

Meanwhile, Peter Okoye, really? Even if you didn’t lose anybody dear to you, you should know better than to be “cheesing” with the fellow who was at the helm of affairs when people perished and property and lives were destroyed. SMH, All I can do to remain civil right now!

54. adelegirl

September 5, 2012 at 10:50 am

Like most people commenting on this post, I’ve wondered why these two aren’t married. However, I also wonder if it has occurred to all those saying Peter Okoye should put a ring on it, that it just might be Lola Omotayo herself that is averse to the idea of getting married properly? I wonder why people always automatically assume it’s the man’s call. I believe in the institution of marriage so I’m not condoning their “baby mamaing and dadaing” all over the place, however, some people, for reasons best known to them have decided that going through the formalities of a wedding ceremony is not just for them. At the end of the day, it’s THEIR decision. God gives us all choices and we are responsible for the choices we make.

Meanwhile, I find it offensive that the Dana MD is smiling all over the place at this party. I’m not saying he should become a hermit and he may not have been directly responsible for the crash but for the sake of the sensibilities of all those still deeply mourning the loss of their loved ones in the Dana crash, he really should not attend public social functions or allow his picture to be taken looking less than sober. He should have the decency to act sober and like he is in mourning as well. Not all Dana air crash victims have been buried. I think that until they are all buried, he should avoid being caught in these types of situations.

55. Sarah

September 5, 2012 at 11:33 am

Most women appreciate true love and only marriage seals it completely. Even Angelina Jolie, with all her INDEPENDENT WOMAN ish, is engaged to Brad Pitt, after many years of claiming they don’t need marriage to be together. Even here in the UK, the law treats live-in-lovers and married couples differently. So, those who are blabbing that marriage doesn’t matter are just deceiving themselves.

56. oge

September 5, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I luv dis couple….

57. Omo

September 5, 2012 at 2:01 pm

“She means a lot to me” Then marry her as your wife na!! I don’t understand what all this talk is. God is not a full to have established a lasting union called Marriage

58. Cool cat

September 5, 2012 at 2:12 pm

These comments are really becoming hateful. Personally, I would not want to marry a superstar, a hotttt one at that. The emotional torture of uncertainty, wondering what he’s doing on tour, or what girls wanna do to him, that I can not bear. But to have my kids look like him, that I will completely do wholeheartedly. I don’t know wht lola is carrying a 2nd child for peter but I imagine she is very happy with how cameron turned out, cute as hell.

To those of you preaching culture, I wish you good luck when your husband turns you to a punching bag and you stay there until you die, cos of culture. I hope you also know that our culture dictates that women stay home to breed and cook, not to go out and do 9-5 jobs, some culture also allow a wife to be offered to her husband’s friends as entertainment, culture also allows your entire extended family access into your home, at any time, all in the name of culture. How many of you making noise here will say they abide by culture? Continue to
    I’ve a life of culture, when your mates have moved on with the times. These days there are many older women who prey on men, just to get them pregnant and thy discharge. Not saying this is Lola’s intention but she should not be castigated for her choices.

• fairweatherfriendnot

September 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm

If you are somehow defending having kids out of wedlock, then it’ll be ok to assume that you are not a christian.
      Otherwise what you have said makes no sense.
      I cannot personally crucify them for their lifestyle(after all, I am not God), but the truth is still the truth, it hasn’t changed.
      So let’s stop justifying such way of living.

• Cate Giblin

September 6, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Fairweatherfriendnot, you see that’s the problem – you are assuming everybody is a Christian. If what they are doing is not against what they believe then how is that your problem and why do you feel the need to force your Christian values and believes on everybody. For instance I am Hindu and Vegan, it’s against what I have chosen to believe to eat meat or any kind of animal product or by product. For me being a Vegan is the truth for me but I am not going to try and convert anybody to stop eating meat. I will rather respect what each person believes, their values and their standards. I will not try and force my standards and beliefs on someone’s head.

59. jewels

September 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

just had to comment…lmao at d comments and reactions. no need to jugde dem. only God can do dat abeg.. its a free world joor

60. Nkaepe

September 5, 2012 at 4:18 pm

When I look at this article, all I see is the Dana Air MD. It us despicable that he is parting while he has the blood of innocent people all his hands. As for Peter, why would y invite such a personto a party you are throwing. In doing this you are being insensitive to the people whos lifes were lost on June 3rd. In all honesty the fact that Nigerians can party with the Dana Air MD is not only disgusting; it is also disappointing, despicable, and deplorable.

61. stella

September 5, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Peter Okoye is really handsome.

62. Toyin

September 5, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Happy birthday, Lola. So many things wrong here. First of all, Dana Air MD, is partying, doesn’t he understand the worst crash that killed hundreds of people. He shouldn’t even be showing his face anywhere, because people are still mourning the loss. Second, where is Paul? why he isn’t at his twin brother’s party for his babymama. Third, Perer, Perer, how many times did I call you, don’t be another 2face o, igbo men sha. That type of lifestyle is not healthy for you, this woman is giving you two children, marry her now. If she’s so special, isn’t she not special enough to marry her. Pops, don’t look too happy either. Last, why are there so many few people at this party, I’m not saying everybody should show up but it just looks awkward.

63. Grieving

September 5, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Dana md should be careful. If not …… Best you keep your head low and not further piss off families of those you murdered

64. NNENNE

September 6, 2012 at 12:33 am

Happy b’day Lola and may all your dreams come through.

65. t babe

September 13, 2012 at 8:49 am

@rachel kelly-taylor, Nigerians are not myopic and shallow minded. please mind what u say. thank u

66. wonu

September 25, 2012 at 7:48 am

Mz socially awkward, well said! I cldnt be bothered one way or another about peter and lola, I am sure they know what is right to do before God and man! As for the Dana MD being at a party having fun when 153 passengers were incinerated due to the ineptitude of his company leaves a very sour taste in the mouth! I believe that if we as Nigerians can make a conscious decision to boycott dana airline no matter the condition, he will get the message.