News

Delta State University awards Patience Jonathan & Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Honorary Doctorate Degrees | Controversy Over the First Lady’s Health

Nigeria’s First Lady, Patience Jonathan, and the Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala were on Saturday September 8, 2012 awarded honorary doctorate degrees of the Delta State University, Abraka.

Mrs. Jonathan, was represented at the University by Zainab Maina, the Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development. She said through Mrs Maina that the award was an evidence of friendliness and support for her efforts and pledged to support the state in the task of building the university.

In her response Mrs Okonjo-Iweala thanked the governor, the university authorities and the students for the honour and donated N1 million and N500,000 for the best students of post graduate class and undergraduate respectively.

Meanwhile, news surrounding the state of health of the First Lady has been buzzing for some days.

Last week, a news report by Sahara Reporters claimed she was receiving treatment in a German hospital for “food poisoning”. Her spokesman, Ayo Osinlu later debunked the rumours saying she wasn’t ill but was only resting in Germany. However, another report followed by Premium Times saying that she was receiving treatment in Germany for “ruptured appendicitis.” While Nigerians were still debating on her state of health, Sahara Reporters followed with another report claiming that doctors in a German clinic performed a surgical procedure her to remove “uterine fibroids” which might be cancerous.

The Presidency has so far not released another statement on the state of her health, however, we wish the First Lady well.

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. fulani hair

September 9, 2012 at 9:47 pm

She had to go to Germany for healthcare regardless.

And what will poor old women in the village do when our local healthcare sucks?

2. Okechukwu Ofili

September 9, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Ngozi…I understand. Patience, I don’t. What has she done =/

• lilly

September 10, 2012 at 8:54 pm

LOL…ofili you have just been taking my words out of my mouth. Well because she’s president ‘s wife….mschewwwwwww

3. Austino Da Whizchap!

September 9, 2012 at 10:47 pm

My Heart Goes To Aunty Pat in Gernmany. But I Can’t Wish Her Speedy Recovery, Cos I Can’t Say Whether She is Ill. Well, I Wish Her All The Very Best. Thanks!

4. a hater!

September 10, 2012 at 12:56 am

So it is true dat Patience went 2do tummy tuck I jus hop she doesn’t end like d 4ma 1st lady.
    Congrats 2 Dr. Ngozi but not like u need it anyway!

5. miss know it all

September 10, 2012 at 2:01 am

uterine fibroids can not be cancerous.

6. Ibukun

September 10, 2012 at 4:01 am

Oh my gosh! What is the first lady getting a honorary degree for? Makes us folks who go to school to work for it look like idiots. Yes, I am pissed!

7. Amber

September 10, 2012 at 4:02 am

Fibroids are not cancerous Biko

8. Thatgidigirl

September 10, 2012 at 8:36 am

They should have awarded aunty patience an undergraduate scholarship in the English department, that would add value to her and make more sense. *rolling eyes*

9. Doesn't matter

September 10, 2012 at 9:55 am

I’m confused why should Patience and Ngozi even be in the same sentence talks less of being on the same level for an award.

Patience biko…me sef I go give you honorary degree from nursery school. Rolls eyes

10. Seun

September 10, 2012 at 10:40 am

So she’s now what – Dr Dame Perm Sec Patience Jonathan or Dame Dr Perm Sec….
    whatever! its still a pile of bullshit. Michelle Obama is simply Michelle and inspiring millions around the world.
    Mtchiewwww

11. vipercoder

September 11, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Stranger than fiction – imagine Patience? Anyway, I kinda fogot that this is a country that rewards mediocrity. Next headline news pls…