News

Lagos State Government Introduces New Law – All Houses MUST be Beautified

The Lagos State Government in its characteristic mode of enforcing new laws and regulations has come out with another first in Nigeria – all houses in Lagos must be beautified.

The Commissioner of Environment, Mr. Tunji Bello said yesterday that it is now mandatory for occupiers of houses in the state to beautify the perimeter areas of their buildings.

He added that violation of this law would attract a fine.

“A violation of this would attract N250, 000 or the amount the state would incur if it decides to carry out the beautification, or six months imprisonment or other non-custodian sentences…also anyone caught felling trees in the state or trimming them without permission would be fined a minimum of N50, 000 or sent to one year imprisonment.

“It is also an offence to walk on lawns and gardens. Urinating, defecating in any of the parks, gardens and open spaces; loitering or soliciting for illegal purposes, smoking and dumping refuse among others in the parks are also offences,” Channels TV quoted him as saying.

The commissioner also inaugurated a new agency, Lagos State Parks and Gardens Agency (LASPARK) which is a structure for the beautification and landscaping of open spaces in the state. “LASPARK will maintain and manage all designated parks and gardens; carry out the general directives and policies of government in respect of parks and recreation centres among other duties,” he said.

He added that the state’s Parks and Garden Law of 2011 would enable the agency to function and build on the solid foundation laid by the Conservative and Ecology Department of the ministry.

However he said that the law would not be enforced now until after the Traffic Law is up and running.

***

I never even knew there was such a thing as the ‘Lagos State Parks and Garden Law’. However it would be nice to see the state take on a more beautiful and green look with parks and gardens around the state (that is if they find the space).

On the mandatory beautification of the perimeter areas of buildings, I’m on the fence on this one. *With the way buildings are clustered in Lagos, some of them don’t even have perimeters around them*

What are your thoughts on this new law and the new agency, LASPARK? Can it fly?

Photo Credit: www.rynolawncare.com

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. chike

September 12, 2012 at 11:32 am

ok o what will mushin residents do, face me I face you suggestions pls Gov Fash and cronnies

2. k.jay

September 12, 2012 at 11:36 am

i think it’s a good idea. if law aren’t enforced people wouldn’t get it. but the house beautification thing, me i don’t that one o.

3. TAMA

September 12, 2012 at 11:40 am

cant help bu laugh out loud … REALLY???
    If my house is beautfied to my own taste what about that?
    all this ridiculous laws , i think they should concentrate on reducing air pollution thats the main issue in lagos state , all this beautifcation stuff is rubbish as far as am concerend ..

4. tama

September 12, 2012 at 11:43 am

JOKERS!!!
    am laughing out very loud on this one …. very funny .. beauty is in the eyes of the beholder , they cant tell anyone what they feel should be done … if i hate flowers how about that ?

• demola adeniyi

September 14, 2012 at 11:26 am

love ur comment. beauty is subjective and some people for medical reasons may not be able to withstand the scent of flowers and lawns. Lagos shud tread softly.

5. Mssexy

September 12, 2012 at 11:44 am

I think Its sensible to an extent! one thing i know is Nigerians, especially, lagosians dont have eyes for beauty, wt this u just dont have a choice than to make ur environment beautiful, putting flower pots here/there is not just for beautification, but its even healthy for u that lives around those plants cause they emits natural air nto ur system, if i dont want to inhale smell of plants , is it generator fumes that I shd be inhaling? and if this is not taken serious u’ll be shocked that all d works that fashola dd wl be dead in years when he’s no more d governor but once d habit is cultivated, ts difficult to take it away from us and who knows d next governor may not even be interested n beautifying lagos, whatever we learn today by force will e wt us for a long time to come – environmental sanitation on my mind#

6. giggy

September 12, 2012 at 11:56 am

FASHOLA, mind yourself o! soon u will create another law which will be called Lagos Breathing Law. meaning if u breathe more than the required amount of oxygen, u will be fined. *smh*

7. Ginika

September 12, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Loves the idea but as we all know that we Nigerians are know it all stubborn-to-the-core, watch-me-break-the-law, watch-me-not-obey-the-law human beings. I have a feeling it’ll take years for this law to have a noticeable impact.

8. gf

September 12, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Se na hungry people go dey beautify?Fix the damn roads & public schools,create jobs, provide social amenities, make us feel safe in lagos state and then when we feel the government has gone above and beyond maybe we will think this idea is sensible, but right now, it is stupid and ridiculous. Priorities people!!Priorities!!

• Jay

September 13, 2012 at 10:45 am

You took the words right out of my mouth. Obviously this government has given up on fixing anything that truly matters and is now only concerned with providing comedians with materials for their jokes

9. saphyah

September 12, 2012 at 12:19 pm

In one breathe i love fashola’s ideas, in another, i am not so sure about some of his policies/innovations! I guess thats what to expect from a lawyer turned politician.I want to relocate to lagos state.

10. ola

September 12, 2012 at 12:21 pm

fashola is working to beautiful Lagos state..

11. Sydney

September 12, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Jobless leaders. I hate Nigerian leaders. They are the most useless things on earth.
    How will People be concerned with beautifying their homes when they dont jobs or food to eat.

12. hadiza

September 12, 2012 at 12:24 pm

its a stupid law , naija population is maninly made up of poor people ,people that cant afford three square meals,and u want them to beautify there houses! how???????? ok fine it doesnt cost money to plant flowers ….. but the little space some people have they use it as stalls or shudnt they feed because some crazy ass governor thinks the best thing to do at this point in time is to beautify houses when the people in these houses are suffering .Why cant he start with beautifying inside the houses first??????? this can be done by eradicating poverty……and if hes still hell bent on beautifyin these houses why not employ people that would do it .this way he gets to provide job for people and also enforce his stupid law

13. Say the truth

September 12, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Beautify deez nutz

14. maggi

September 12, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Lol, can’t stop lol’n

15. faith

September 12, 2012 at 12:45 pm

immediately i saw d post, i laught so hard…its so funny…mtsheewwww…jobless leaders…he should solve d flooding issue in lagos abeg…

16. lahips

September 12, 2012 at 12:53 pm

i am trying to see the sense in this considering the ‘class’ of most Lagosian. liek some people have said, can they afford this things, flowers, the vases, the time to take care of these plants considering how busy lagos life is. hummm i rest my case

17. cynthia

September 12, 2012 at 12:58 pm

i love the idea,i wish will can learn frm the ghanians there apartment re so lovely.

18. abisola ipade

September 12, 2012 at 12:59 pm

It is only obvious that our leaders are not in tune with reality. What do they mean by beautification when some people can not even afford to paint their house. Lagos state government have lost it definitely.

19. iya oloja

September 12, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I think i agree with Fashola. Lagos houses are dirtyyyyy.
    Its not about poverty, these same ‘poor’ people have money to buy Blackberry’s, ankara,weave-on’s, etc… It doesn’t cost much to do anyway…I doubt he’s expecting some fantastic landscaping but at least something little; a flower pot, some grass, some paint (even if you no get space for compound). A lot of Nigerians are also hoarders- you will find 12year old used door posts,metals and other scrap in peoples backyards because ‘they may need it someday’.
    Even in a ‘face me i face you’ building, attention to the environment is important, e.g. scrubbing off the spirogyra on the walls (im sure it won’t cost much to that).

The social and economic issues will always be there. Yes the government should work on the roads. etc…we always scream the government the government, but this an opportunity for we the populace to do something ourselves.
    With all the stress in lagos, it will be good to come home to a beautified house and we get to teach our kids something positive in the process.

• Sense

September 12, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Totally agree with you!

• Stupid idea!

September 12, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Have you seen real poverty??Have you had peaople come to beg you for ordinary N50.Has a mother come to beg you for money because she cant afford malaria medication for her child? There are many many many Lagosians that cannot afford 3 meals a day talkless of black berry.You guys are so out of tune with what the masses go through.Forget Bella naija and all the yeye fashion shows and le petite marche and co, some people are living in abject poverty!

• Tunmi

September 13, 2012 at 3:25 am

Thank you oh. I don’t know what these people are thinking? There are Nigerians who are living in poverty, the one global organizations keep reporting, and he’s creating a law mandating that houses must be beautified. Look, if he was gonna go the way of Roosevelt and create a division of government that would be responsible for beautifying the state (public property, not private) then fine. That would help create jobs for the many youths, and perhaps the touts, in Lagos. Have them involved in building trees and flowers along highways and streets and setting pavements with grass. This law is as ridiculous as the one forcing men to pay for the pregnant woman or something.

20. brittany

September 12, 2012 at 1:23 pm

nawa for lagos state gvnmt oh..they must be the paradise of nigeria by fire by force..He has good intentions bt the people no go free..NEXT!!!

21. buchi

September 12, 2012 at 1:25 pm

LMAO! Not feasible abeg. Sanitation, YES!! Beautification?? *i dunno*

22. Radiant

September 12, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I saw this coming. Or maybe I wanted it to come. Maybe not by a punitive legislation. But a day when we just think of the arrangement, cleanliness and beauty of our spaces from Igando to Lekki. Sometimes, we live like we are dead. One thing is I have to read the law first to properly comment but in the meantime- it is good and proper to change my house paint once in half a decade; scrub the gutters around, remove the spirogyra, sweep the from of the building, cobweb the veranda!!!, have a little garden, arrange the drainage covers if they shift or replace one or two, throw away the junk in the yard etc

23. Radiant

September 12, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I saw this coming. Or maybe I wanted it to come. Maybe not by a punitive legislation. But a day when we just think of the arrangement, cleanliness and beauty of our spaces from Igando to Lekki. Sometimes, we live like we are dead. One thing is I have to read the law first to properly comment but in the meantime- it is good and proper to change my house paint once in half a decade; scrub the gutters around, remove the spirogyra, sweep the front of the building, cobweb the veranda!!!, have a little garden, arrange the drainage covers if they shift or replace one or two, throw away the junk in the yard etc

24. rebecca ejifoma

September 12, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Good afternoon,
    Please, can u update me on more environmental and property issues.

25. rebecca ejifoma

September 12, 2012 at 1:32 pm

?

26. robby

September 12, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Well, I’m not saying this as a reply to anyone but to those who say naija population are mainly poor pple, where is it written that been poor means been dirty, I support d idea behind dis, those living in face me I face u houses can now hv cleaner living quarters, at least d landlords that doesn’t want to lose money will take time and fix d houses and environs, d apartment I used to live had sand everywhere, we kept begging our landlord to do something cos it really get messy when it rained, he refused, so we all pitched resources together and paved d compd, u won’t blive d idiot landlord increased d rent after dat, after we left, d new tenants paid double…imagine if he had done it b4, we won’t hv had to waste our own money…lagos landlord are wicked and callous, even a leaking roof is left to d tenants, so I support baba fash and his cronies…changes starts with one step, dis may just be d step to a better lagos

27. Ibukun

September 12, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I think everyone is exaggerating the idea of beautification. It seems like the governor’s intent more is to reduce the abuse of public spaces which includes perimeters around buildings. Imagine the difference it would make to walk on the sidewalks and not be afraid of stepping on something nasty. I think this law would make people environment friendly and more responsible for their surroundings.
    I’d like to see recycling bins set up around Lagos next…pure water satchets are our drainages undoing.

28. efe

September 12, 2012 at 1:59 pm

What is this again,the traffic law has not sank down,now this?Na wah.EKO o ni baje

29. Engel

September 12, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Ok. Most laws(funny laws) are for the rich to abide. He should plant the flowers himself for the poor ones. Is there any house in Ikoyi, Vgc etc without one. think before u sign all those laws. Who knows the next law?

30. linda

September 12, 2012 at 2:12 pm

*smh*..ok so Fashola has run out of ideas abi? Shame

31. 'Alex'andyRaH!

September 12, 2012 at 2:30 pm

it z a gud idea…but dere z still a but

32. Sense

September 12, 2012 at 2:38 pm

With all the air pollution in Lagos, plants/trees are a darn good idea. I go out and come home smelling of car fumes, I don’t consider myself to be rich, I jump bus, I can’t afford car with ac. Do you need to be told that the fumes emitted by cars and generators is poisonous to your health? Those that paid attention in biology class should know the value of these things. I think Fashola is on point with this law. You need trees and plants to not only beautify but purify the air in your environment. It is for the interest of everyone, rich and poor. Only issue is hope it’ll be maintained!

33. Sense

September 12, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Most of the comments I’ve seen shows our level of exposure. If you are against this law, I ask you, do you even know what the concept ‘sustainable development’ is about? With all the Nigerians that form travelling abroad and coming back to speak nonsense, I wonder what it is they actually learn when they travel or is it only to borrow accent they can’t even pull off? We all have to learn to be environment friendly or else the poor people you are advocting for will be the least of our concerns in the not-too-distant-future. Fashola is proving he not only has sense but ‘correct’ sense, he has the exposure we need! My big concern, as always, is MAINTENANCE

34. Amber

September 12, 2012 at 3:07 pm

It is reasonable jare.it’s a shame when ur plane is about to land in naija especially in lag and what u see is brown roofs and disorganized layout..nothing green or colorful at all

35. jay

September 12, 2012 at 3:09 pm

i never chop belleful na grass i wan come put for my house? who get time for nonsense wey no go come to effect for another 10 years? go tell makoko, agegunle and mushin people. Na hot soup dem go take baff you. RUBBISH…

36. lol

September 12, 2012 at 3:47 pm

have you seen some peoples homes on fb with their photos posing outside their homes or compound, very dirty even business people trying to showcase their office or workplace, you will shake head and say and you posted this pic, those ones need to beautify their environment sha

37. segzy

September 12, 2012 at 3:50 pm

So everyday we wake up to hear new laws in lagos! hmm! but still the same standard of living. wat we need right now is economic laws that will create jobs for people and put food on their tables, then we talk of beautification. Smhh**!!

38. Drpeperempe

September 12, 2012 at 3:59 pm

we need to act civilized. It goes beyond planting trees guys. The lot of Nigerians travel to other countries and would never litter etc but come home and fling their dicks around pissing in every visible corner. The other day, when I came home, I had to chase a silly mallam pissing by my fence right as he was doing so. My fam knows never to throw ish outta my car window. Its so disheartening the way we must try our best to act sub-human. I support this a lot. We don’t like word of mouth. Na so so force we prefer. Look at how people have turned the “environmental sanitation” to resting saturdays. When I was a kid growing in Lagos, people actually came out on those days and washed their gutters, cleaned their houses and the sanitation officer came round to check. Must they monitor us before we use our brains? Africans are just special. Makes me wonder.

39. brandigest

September 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I think it is for those residing on the Island. I wonder how a stubborn landlord in Orile will but this idea or a poor guy in far Okoko will key in.

40. JOE

September 12, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I LOVE YOU GOV FASHOLA, YOU ARE TRULY A LEADER, YOU KEEP HITTING NAILS ON THE HEADS LET LAGOS GO GREEN AND BEAUTIFUL, IF ANY ONE CAN NOT KEEP THE LAW PLEASE GO BACK TO YOUR STATE OR BORROW ANOTHER STATE. WE DONT LIKE EVIL SPIRITS IN LAGOS PLEASE.

41. Na wa!

September 12, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I support Fashola whole heartedly. We should plant some flowers and beautify our environment. How difficult can that be? Must one be rich before we beautify our surroundings and keep them clean and tidy?

42. Paloma

September 12, 2012 at 6:23 pm

WOW!!! dat will b great but the question is will lagosian abide by it?

43. Tiki

September 12, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I support this 100%. Some areas of Lagos are just disgusting for nothing? The law doesn’t say anything about flowers, grass, etc, it simply says ‘beautify’. I’m sure nobody expects people living in abject poverty to paint houses or plant grass – however, a poor person should at least be clean, or at the very least keep his surroundings clean – after all, it is for his own good, he cannot afford medicines to treat illnesses caused primarily by poor hygiene.

This is a very good initiative, and LASPARK will hopefully provide job opportunities for a few. Kudos to you, Fashola!

44. Bianca

September 12, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Gov Fashola is saying beautify meaning at least keep your outside clean. It doesn’t have to be flowers, roses planted in front but throw dirty trash out. You ever wonder how majority of houses in America is decent looking, the surroundings are clean to an extent, I’m sure they had to enforce some laws that made people keep their surroundings clean. I love this man. Now, how can we address the overcrowded and air pollution in Lagos? I hope that will be his next focus.

• Tunmi

September 13, 2012 at 3:26 am

But they first made sure the houses had access to water and there was a properly functioning drainage system in case of floods. Lagos has not achieved that level. This entire thing is like putting lipstick on a dirty pigs, no offense to pigs who are actually smart animals.

45. molarah

September 12, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Mehn, this is some real megacity movement here. Its a good move: neater environment, better health, better quality of life. Supported!

46. Pd

September 12, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Fashola please face the issue of security before you tell me to beautify my house ……oseeee……make armed robbers come think say i get money abi?just making laws up n down….just becos una wan chop moni….park well abeg….mschewwwwe……wo ….if una try am 4 agege….dem ho matchete una….laspark officials…come na.

47. NNENNE

September 13, 2012 at 2:35 am

Great idea but the government should repair our roads and make our drains flow.
    What use is a beautiful property when there are puddles every where and stagnant,open drains?
    Aba and onitsha need to do the same too.Some of their houses were last painted when they were initially built.
    Reminds me of my visit to Festac town in 2008.I could not believe how run down the place has become. Our People know nothing about MAINTENANCE and that’s a shame!

48. iamfascinating

September 13, 2012 at 6:25 am

hmmn. The government should also fulfill their obligations first now, abide by your laws first!

49. Ready

September 13, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I support this law. I don’t think he wants you to create a gazebo with fountains and beautiful grass…just those common flowers or small trees will do. Plus plants emit oxygen & that’ll purify the air a little.
    People talking about unclogging drains first…I think most Nigerians and Lagosians are just very nasty people. They want to appear clean but they have no prroblems littering public spaces.
    In my Shasha area, Fashola fixed the road & built gutters..it was a thing of beauty. About 3 yrs later, half of the gutters are overflowing with trash, and the shop & homeowners continue to look at it. Should Fashola also come to clear it? Couldn’t they organize to do it, considering that the trash ppl come virtually every week & it’s pretty cheap?
    I tell you, policies like this are necessary to disabuse the mindset of many nasty ass people who want to live in cities but refuse to be civilized.

50. Tunmi

September 13, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Instead of the word “beautify”, he should have said “clean”. One is less subjective than the other.

51. tunde

September 14, 2012 at 11:20 am

i know d type of people who wil b against this(law).those dat wear a single singlet 4 2weeks without washin(all in d name of poverty).poverty is of the mind.most of us want God to do everything for us(likewise, govt shd also do everytin for us).God cant do anytin on earth without man…pls lets help the govt in our own little way.if the system has fail us,we can build a new nigeria together. 1 yoruba adage says* bi ode odun,bi igbe ni ilu nri* (literarily,wen ur house is in disharmony d city is also in a state of pitable dismal pismal)… Eko o ni baje o

52. Sleek3406

September 14, 2012 at 2:46 pm

He has a gud ideai but an impossible one ,before laws for beautifying houses should be enforced laws about hygiene and proper sanitation must be enforced and come to think of alot of people are allergic to plants and moreover not all buildings out of lagos and nigeria are beautify with plants . It should be a health , class and environment thing .

53. John Shea

September 17, 2012 at 9:21 am

The beautification law is good and the benefit to the people need not be over emphasised. However, a visit to all Lagos State housing estates will show the level of environmental degredation and environmental nuisance being constituted by residents of the various estates. In contravention of LSDPC laws, shops spring up every day within the little space that separates one building from the other. In some cases, the locations of the shops event obstruct the free flow of air into the apartments. These are issued the Lagos State government need to tackle for the environmental laws to succeed.

54. Nitty

September 24, 2012 at 4:13 am

Will Fashola be out implementing this law himself? He’s just giving our hungry police another reason to harass us even more. No flower for your house, oya settle

55. Gabriel

January 9, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Firstly, i must commend the governor for the good job he has been doing. Let us be optimictic, try to work with our government, compliment their efforts and believe something good will come out of it.

56. LINUS GARBA

February 15, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Now that a new law is enacted how much have you enlighten people about it especially those that can not read and write nor understand english, nor even understand by body language, or is it an opportunity for people to start extorting from people that are called THOSE WEY NO GET VOICE. Abeg it is good but make una enlighten peole wella before others would capitalised on government say ….. this that. Sincerly it is a good idea, a good plan,the best way to attract hygen and balance ecology for good living sustenance.

57. LINUS GARBA

February 15, 2013 at 7:05 pm

M not happy bcos someone came and lock our compound all in the name of new law aboki wey b security that knows nothing, and warning, no enlightenment to the man just imposed purnishment on him bcos he cleard his compound frontage and was burning it while he sat waching it to finish.

58. dbaba

November 17, 2013 at 11:26 am

lagos state gov is only driving with her mouth they are excluded and shield from the real societal life of the state.