News

Man Kills Wife in the Presence of His 11 Year-old Son… Says he had “Mental Problems”

The last time the Nigerian media was agog with news of a man who had allegedly butchered his wife, it was greeted with a loud public outcry.

When pictures of her lifeless and dismembered body hit the internet, it generated a slew of human right actions, walks and advocacy against domestic abuse.

It was a gruesome sight. Deep knife cuts, blood all over, her gorging eyes… it was all too much too bear. In fact, it won’t be out of place to say that Nigerians have not yet recovered from the shock of Titi Arowolo’s death.

And now, a year later, another case of a wife killer has been uncovered in Enugu state. Graphic pictures of her lifeless body showing deep cuts with blood oozing out have circulated over the internet stirring another outcry.

The Enugu State Police Command, on Thursday September 6th, 2012 paraded Sunday Eze for allegedly butchering his wife with a machete in Nsukka, Enugu State.

Another sad twist to this story is that he performed the dastardly act in the presence of his 11 year-old son, Onyebuchi Eze.. The boy, a primary five student, also sustained a deep machete cut in his hand while trying to prevent his father from taking his mother’s life.

However, it is being reported that the man had some mental issues which might have led him to commit the act.

“My father has a mental problem and exhibits it at times. He regrets certain actions he takes, when it is too late.

“On the fateful night, he had a quarrel with my mother over a small issue and my father reached out for his machete and started dealing cuts on my mother. I tried to stop him, but could not. So, he cut mummy all over her body, head, leg, hand and everywhere.

“I was very afraid but daddy took me along after he finished and we hid in the farmland near our house.

“After some time in the bush, he told me to run to his senior brother’s house and tell him what happened,” the boy told SUN News.

Police said the suspect escaped into the bush but was later caught after a community search party looked for him for over 30 hours. The leader of the search party also said that the suspect attempted to commit suicide with a screwdriver which inflicted a deep cut in his throat.

The suspect however claimed that his wife was responsible for his mental problem which causes him to have internal heat at intervals.

It is really sad what this family has gone through and it’s hard to make sense of it. Did he have mental issues or not? Would that justify his act in any way? Several questions arise…

But as a human rights activist noted, women who see subtle signs of domestic abuse which often precede such acts shouldn’t hesitate to get necessary help or walk away from such relationships.

It is a dicey one. Have you seen the said pictures online? What is your take?

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. cathy

September 7, 2012 at 2:00 pm

LORD have mercy!

2. saphyah

September 7, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Too bad….if he is able to proove insanity he might get off the hook sadly. But in my view,he may not realy be insane judging by what his son recounted bout the incidence. May God save women from abusers:-(

3. walahitalahi

September 7, 2012 at 2:23 pm

mental problem my foot! that is what they claim after the deed has been done. Arowolo is a free man today. so won’t be surprise if he is set free by Sunday…blood sucking demons!

4. Miss thang

September 7, 2012 at 3:05 pm

She should hv left when she had d chance to. I hv bn in the same situation although it was just a relationship it was equally as tough. Mental illness comes with additional baggage violent tendencies, paranoia, insecurity, jealousy and obessision. It’s sumtin I Neva quiet recovered from bn beaten till I was unconscious, strangled, beaten countless, I couldnt be out of his sight for too long I was always locked up in the house. It took d grace of God to leave the relationship when I told him I wanted out of the relationship I was in d battle of life. Threats, blackmail name it he did I finally had enough took my valuable stuff left evrytin behind n went abroad and Neva looked back.

5. molarah

September 7, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I don’t think the real problem here is domestic abuse. The son said his father is mentally disturbed – I don’t think its that easy to put such words into a child’s mouth, moreso one being at that age. The lesson here is to stop the stigmatization of mentally disturbed people, so they can freely seek proper treatment and not get worse and end up committing such dastardly acts.

6. lahips

September 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I really wish women in abusive relationships could take a decision that would save them from havoc, many of them keep quiet and endure or never try to do anything about it, its sad may her soul R.I.P

7. Gods own

September 7, 2012 at 4:35 pm

@molarah the main point is domestic abuse, read the story very well .this man would have been beating his wife before he finally killed her.

8. GTO

September 7, 2012 at 4:50 pm

9. huh?

September 7, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Lips sealed!

10. Miss thang

September 7, 2012 at 8:54 pm

@ molarah it’s a big part of it when they hv one of their episodes u become their worst enemy and they resort to violence imagine bn thrown across the room or bn kicked in the stomach till your can barely feel it and 30 mins when he is back to his normal self he is crying n begging. It’s not sumtin u wld even wish for ur enemy, but guess what the first 3 months he was as normal as every regular guy til I started living with him I saw d real him.

11. BeautyFULL

September 7, 2012 at 10:19 pm

@walahitalahi,Arowolo is standing trial at the Ikeja High Court.He has not been set free.

12. Esther

September 7, 2012 at 11:27 pm

@ Gods own! Molarah ‘s commet is actually enlightening. We have one problem in Naija; people believe that an individual has mental issue when he/she begin to pick food from dustbins, or talking to self, or wear a rag. This is far from the truth, a lot of guys wear ties everyday to go to the office, yet they are mentally sick. How can you explain someone butchering his wife if he is not mentally sick . So many acts that we attribute to the devil are acually as a result of mental problems. Issues like depression, excessive jealousy, too much fear, and lack of feelings for others are in the realm of mental disorder…….Be educated!!!!

13. Oma

September 8, 2012 at 10:08 am

14. Mana

September 8, 2012 at 10:57 am

What kind of world do we live in? I’m so sorry for the little boy!

May God help the lil boy!

15. timma

September 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm

So sad,May her soul RIP and may others learn from this sad story!

16. kanu