News

An Epic Tale of Soldiers & the Officers’ Wives! Ramsey Nouah, Rita Dominic, Ibinabo Fiberisima, Chidi Mokeme star in Izu Ojukwu’s New Movie, ’76

BellaNaija.com

76 is a movie set during the era of military assassinations in Nigeria. With a focal point on the life of an officer who is wrongly indicted by the military. According to Izu Ojukwu, the director of the movie, “it’s a story told from a dual point of view – from the soldier’s patriotic perspective and from that of the officer’s wives.”
The director, Izu Ojukwu directed other movies such as “The Child”, “White Waters”, “Distance Between” and “La Viva”.

Starring in the movie are Ramsey Nouah, Rita Dominic, Ibinabo Fiberisima, Chidi Mokeme, Memry Savanhu, Adonijah Owiriwa, Daniel K. Daniel, Nelly Ekwereogu and Shuaibu Ebenehi Adams

Filmed in Ibadan, Oyo State, the movie is supposed to depict the experiences of being an officer’s wife at a time in Nigeria when there was a lot of unrest.

Watch the teaser here

1. Chattyzee

November 22, 2012 at 4:16 pm

2. Ebuka

November 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm

It should have been shot in a Nigerian language. Besides the fact that it would have made it more original, I think it’s time for our film makers to start shooting more seriously for those ‘Foreign Language Film’ Oscars.

• partyrider

November 23, 2012 at 2:41 am

English was and is the official language so i don’t see why it should have been shot in a Nigerian language. besides they didnt speak a particular nigerian language in the army.

3. Bolake

November 22, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Omg!! Picture quality so good, who said the Nigeria movie industry is not improving

4. quad

November 22, 2012 at 4:42 pm

@ebuka, please what is the official language of Nigeria (if you dont knw it is a rethorical question) your comment is silly. This is about the first movie preview or actual movie i have seen that gives some attention to detail. The costumes, props, make and stuff depict the times the movie is set in. Just learn to appreciate creativity instead of looking for faults. It is a movie about the Nigeiran Army, is vernacular the official language of the Nigeria Army

• Missasokoro

November 22, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Thank you for addressing that stupid comment made by ebuka….. This movies shows so much creativity like u already mentioned! I can’t wait to see it.

• Idak

November 23, 2012 at 10:03 am

So calling his opinion stupid makes you sound intelligent?
      Cyber warrior!!

• Iris

November 22, 2012 at 10:17 pm

NOW we’re talking! Finally – something I think I may actually go to see. Since Ije everything has been rubbish @quad I don’t think it was a criticism exactly. Call it a suggestion – he’s saying if it had been shot in an indigenous language and was amazing it could qualify for an Oscar under the Foreign Film category. Then again one could argue that we don’t need Hollywood to validate a movie before we know it’s good so I guess it can go both ways.

• Ebuka

November 22, 2012 at 11:37 pm

The Foreign Language Oscar is only given to movies shot in any language but English. English is the official language of South Africa but they won the Oscar for ‘Tsotsi’ in 2005 because Xhosa, Afrikaans, Zulu and Sotho were the main languages spoken in the film with english transcriptions. When you shoot in English, you automatically compete with the Americans and Brits. It’s a simple fact. No need to be abusive

• lola

August 3, 2013 at 1:02 am

i agree with you it would have added that special touch

• Mousepad

November 23, 2012 at 9:30 am

You are entitled to your opinion, don’t insult anybody just because you don’t agree with them

• honey

November 24, 2012 at 6:14 am

Good response

5. Roomandparlor

November 22, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Hat doffed! Finally, a Nollywood game-changer.

6. amy

November 22, 2012 at 5:07 pm

izu has always been good.he is one film maker that takes his time to do a movies

7. Kamal

November 22, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Nice! Well Done People!

8. Lolan

November 22, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Ramsey, Rita & Chidi goodness me

9. ABCOG

November 22, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Woah! I want to see this one… The costumes are working.

10. St. ED!

November 22, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Damn, I am proud of the Nigerian movie industry……Nice script……

11. laila

November 22, 2012 at 6:02 pm

NICE!!!! Nollywood is moving on up!!! I just hope this wont turn out to be another ‘Biafra-rising’.

• mm

November 22, 2012 at 6:39 pm

go and sleep..mtcheww wats wrong if its another biafra rising?

12. igbo canadian

November 22, 2012 at 6:04 pm

my granddad was an soldier in the biafran war, am sooo excited to see this film so i can understand wat my grandmom went through

13. igbo canadian

November 22, 2012 at 6:05 pm

as an officer’s wife

14. anon

November 22, 2012 at 7:31 pm

wow this looks good, am well impressed!!

15. feisty chic

November 22, 2012 at 7:39 pm

the first time i am seeing a nigerian film trailer that looks interesting. would love to watch the movie

16. NNENNE

November 22, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Lovely. Hope it will be on Ito OTC?

17. NNENNE

November 22, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Lovely. Hope it will be on irokotv.

• Lolan

November 24, 2012 at 6:50 am

It will not be on Iroko tv unless Iroko television starts paying well. Iroko does not want this kind of film. They want Balckberry babes made for 3 million naira

18. X factor

November 22, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Impressed…..thumbs up!

19. Nma

November 22, 2012 at 9:08 pm

OMG the picture quality, costumes and makeup = amazeballs! Naija is not playing again o. This looks hella good, and i love me some Rita and Ramsey!

20. Ona

November 22, 2012 at 9:09 pm

“I am very impressive!” (/vic. o)

21. TheNigerian

November 22, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I HOPE THIS MOVIE GOES VIRAL!

22. the effing truth

November 22, 2012 at 10:26 pm

i just teared up…..am already loving the storyline…Cannes film festival here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

23. Who

November 22, 2012 at 10:39 pm

No Genny? Ughhhh. Oh well

24. Who

November 22, 2012 at 10:42 pm

By d way, d guy talking about the concealment of truth looks like uncle jona 😀

25. allen

November 22, 2012 at 10:57 pm

check OUT 0.23SECS IT LOOKS LIKE A CERTAIN OBJ WITH MOUSTACHE

26. Nono

November 22, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Looks good! Well done Nollywood

27. Mercy

November 23, 2012 at 12:02 am

Oh my God! So proud of Izu Ojukwu, Ramsey Nouah, Rita Dominic and Chidi Mokeme!

28. Diva

November 23, 2012 at 12:05 am

Rita Dominic is unstoppable this year mehnn! Nice

29. Mr Roberts

November 23, 2012 at 12:08 am

This has to be the new frontier movie for Nollywood!

30. Fifi

November 23, 2012 at 12:13 am

@Ebuka u haven’t even watched this film and u’re already concluding. Nigerians sha.. This is just a teaser not a trailer just a sneek peek at what to expect! Why don’t u wait to watch the film before wearing ur critique robe??

31. anna

November 23, 2012 at 12:19 am

izu has come again oh. this guy’s directing and cinematography is one of the best along with tunde kelani and tade ogidan. i must watch this one.

32. partyrider

November 23, 2012 at 2:38 am

woahhh..looks epic..

33. shanday

November 23, 2012 at 3:52 am

Amazing. The cinematography is excellent. Can’t wait to c it

34. sallysueee

November 23, 2012 at 4:37 am

wow wow wow hope this movie goes viral it keeps u on the edge of your seat. this be another level

35. omoibo

November 23, 2012 at 4:37 am

Movie trailer looks very interesting, from what I can see it looks like a lot of attention was paid to the details of the era & of course who better to play the lead roles Ramsey and Rita. I remember my uncle returning from the NDA when I was a kid dressed in his military uniform & looking very sharp to the extent of making me want to joint the military 🙂

36. Ginika

November 23, 2012 at 7:29 am

WOW! Super impressed, I want to see this MOVIE aand Ramsay looks sooo good in a military uniform.

37. a hater!

November 23, 2012 at 8:53 am

Guys abeg @Ebuka is tryin 2make a point.

Fact remains: Foreigners prefer our movies in our Local Language (eg. Yoruba movies in d West Indies, Cuba n Brazil 2b precise) “they” say it looks original oda dan us tryin so hard 2speak “Spoken English” dat we know we can never be Perfect in…*my own opinion*
    Nice casting anywayz….more grease 2d Izu Ojukwu guy I wish him on ds one

38. Norah

November 23, 2012 at 9:19 am

I am so looking forward to this movie. Nice one Izu

39. RIRI-ROSE

November 23, 2012 at 10:01 am

The trailer is absolutely riveting. Kudos to Ramsey. He picks his roles well. He looks so in tune in he film. Rita Dominic too. I cannot wait to watch this on d big screen. I love the costuming and makeup. I always wished I grew up in the 70s. Naija oooo! We r getting thr. If more movies like this were churned out, we would definitely be a force to be reckoned with. I alwz told ppl who bad mouthed the industry or laffed when i told dem Im pursuing a post graduate degree in theatre arts and film. Just wait. Heaven knows Im tired of seeing the usual slapstick comedy, ‘runz babes’ on campus, wicked stepmother/mother-in-law/babalawo etc…..This is so welcome

40. tosin o

November 23, 2012 at 10:39 am

love it!!!!!

41. lolo

November 23, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I love nigerian movies, but this one tops it all. i hope the sound is as good as the pictures. As a South African i love watching all African Movies it doesn’t matter where they come from as long as they are From AFrica i love them. Watching African Movies makes me relate to different cultures and i’m proud to be african

42. M

November 23, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I want this movie oooooooo, love love

43. pd

November 24, 2012 at 7:54 am

dem spend moni 4 dis film ooo….i must watch it oooo….cant wait!

44. jazzyfei

November 25, 2012 at 7:17 am

looks like a good movie excited

45. Chysom

November 27, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Ramsey looks smoking hawt!! Was he born in dat uniform, he looks perfect in it..

• Nv

August 21, 2016 at 1:01 pm

I’m telling you! He looks so fiiiinne in that uniform that I’m actualy…I don’t know proud? Plus he’s working that moustache like no man’s business!

46. Jatropha

November 28, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Wonderful.Am really impressed at the picture quality and costume.Nollywood is indeed improving.Plz keep the lag flying

47. @amasonic

July 4, 2013 at 8:29 am

Inasmuch as Ebuka made sense in his suggesting that the movie be shot in an indigenous language so as to qualify for an Oscar nomination for Best Foreign Language Movie, this is not a movie that can be done in an indigenous language. What language does the Nigerian Army speak? Hausa? Yoruba? Igbo? Even pidgin is more spoken among the lower ranks than the officers, who are usually well-schooled. If I were shooting, say, The Passport of Mallam Ilia, I will shoot it in Hausa. Or do The Gods Are Not To Blame in Yoruba.
    Also, a movie doesn’t need to be nominated for an Oscar for us to enjoy it or attest to its high quality.
    Just my own two cents

48. OnionHead

July 4, 2013 at 10:18 am

If the final picture is half as good as what I see here, then I’ll say Nollywood has turned a corner.

49. Kayode

August 17, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Anyone know if this film has been released?

50. Sadiqson sadiqson

October 20, 2018 at 10:11 pm

The producers of this film have done greatly well. I am so happy to see the military barracks where l was born featured in a great movie like this. The memory was very representing when I saw all the places my friends, brothers and I played when we were little children. I love this movie but the bad event that happens then was not good at all. I wish you all the best and success, thanks