News

Are You Passionate About Food? Watch the Pilot Episode of Yetunde Taiwo’s TV Show – “Afropolitan Chef”

We LOVE the Afropolitan Chef. Her meals are inspired by Africa influences with a twist of the cosmopolitan. Yetunde Taiwo  is the creative director of ICY PR but she’s also a fantastic chef. Working on the Afropolitan Chef has taken 3 years and it is finally coming to TV.

Watch the pilot episode of her new show and we, at BellaNaija, promise to bring you new episodes as they are released!
To find out more about the Afropolitan Chef, check out her Facebook page and you can follow her on Twitter.

The spunky and talented model turned successful entrepreneur, who is in the business of doing what you love, Yetunde Taiwo, was born in Chicago but raised in Lagos, Nigeria and now reside in Miami, Florida. An avid traveler, Taiwo is influenced by dishes from various parts of the world including Thailand, Europe, West Africa and North America. Now a resident of South Florida, she has found inspiration and solace in the abundance of culture and the ever-burgeoning foodie scene that Miami has to offer. Connect with Afropolitan Chef on social media Facebook: www.facebook.com/AfropolitanChef Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/Afropolitanchef Twitter: www.twitter.com/AfropolitanChef Instagram: www.instagram.com/AfropolitanChef Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/Afropolitanchef

1. Opsy

April 16, 2013 at 3:11 pm

This woman doesn’t look like she eats the food she cooks. Look at Chef Fregz. He really looks healthy.

• precisely

April 16, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Precisely!

• ms sexy

April 16, 2013 at 10:57 pm

my tot exactly, haba look @ my cordeau bleu, d guy dey cook dey chop and fresh pa, this one i sorry i no chop n my waffi accent

• Dziree

April 16, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Careful there, your stupid just sprang a leak. You don’t have to be fat or chubby to show you love good food or can cook.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 16, 2013 at 4:34 pm

“your stupid just sprang a leak”. Hahahahahahahahahaha!! Damn, BN Commenters, you guys are brutal!!

• hawa

April 16, 2013 at 6:14 pm

You got the words out of my mouth. West Africans think that an individual has to be fat in order for them to be considered healthy. That some bullshit!

• Blk

April 16, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Dziree, dont mind Opsy. Ignorant muppet!

• Iris

April 16, 2013 at 8:36 pm

#dead. So rude LOL

• Dune

April 17, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Lol…..you just made my day!

• moi

April 16, 2013 at 3:36 pm

na wa o

• Landon

April 16, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Being very slim doesn’t equate unhealthy. There are so many possibilities: maybe she has high metabolism, maybe she works out a lot, maybe she eats in moderation. I know lots of chefs that are pretty slim. Check out Chef Padma Lakshmi and Chef giada de Laurentiis.

• Sola

April 16, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Chai. Must she be fat to prove that she eats the food. Illiteracy and ignorance, hello there. I cook and eat a lot and I am skinny, As in size 2 skinny and i don’t even work out o. There is something called fast metabolism.

• Nma

April 16, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Thats an ignorant misconception. I have a friend who is just as skinny but eats like mad. There is such a thing as high metabolism. It is also possible that she eats moderately and works out as well. U dont have to starve to look slim.

Meanwhile, her jollof rice method is the easiest i have seen. I usually cook the blended fresh tomatoes till it has a thicker consistency, then i fry it for a few minutes, then add tomato paste and fry for few more minutes before adding the broth and then the rice. I will try her method and see how it comes out.

Again, great concept, and i look forward to more of the vids.

• Nma

April 16, 2013 at 4:29 pm

*fast metabolism, not high metabolism. lol.

• lollipop

April 16, 2013 at 5:51 pm

You sound really ignorant and dumb. Some people are naturally skinny and would never gain weight!

• Wale

April 16, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Actually, I don’t care if she is slim or fat, it is the substance that matters, and I don’t see any imagination in her pilot. There is a Nigerian lady that has a channel on YouTube that is authentic and “real” and nothing new about the word afropolitan either…the word was coined here by Afrocentric blacks in the US and has been used for a while. All is see here is forced phonetics and an attempt to cook our Nigerian food in a modern kitchen by a over dressed woman. I’d rather our BN Friday chef, the guy, do his own show…at least his meals are well thought off and he is not serving up less than ordinary jollof rice…for heaven’s sake.

• whocares

April 17, 2013 at 6:15 am

man you took the words right out of my mouth. as soon as i saw “afropolitan” she lost me.. i havent watched the vid. i suppose i’ll wait for word of mouth to drift about how good it is or not then decide. I hate the afropolitan term.

• nnenne

April 17, 2013 at 9:50 am

if you hear a forced accent, bet you won’t recognize it. how on earth is her accent forces? inferiority complex is a disease. get well soon bro!!! the fish cake aint bad at all. will try it some day.

• nnenne

April 17, 2013 at 9:51 am

*forced*

• bidibang

April 17, 2013 at 3:25 pm

she eats her food…she works out and eats in moderation…she the body of potentially gaining weight…she is just a smart eater….although that jelof rice looks nasty…isnt the whole point of cooking the sauce for a long time to get rid of that raw tomato taste? and then she added soggy tomatoes to the jelof after killing the raw taste…wahala dey!!!

2. Gorgeous

April 16, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Shes beautiful chai! Omo to shan!

3. Nma

April 16, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Great show! The host is easy on the eyes too. Interesting that Nigerians tend to think that we innovated jollof rice.lol. The fish cakes look yummy…i am so trying it.

What TV station is this airing on? Is it in the states?

• Sola

April 16, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Yep, it’s in the states.

4. Warri pickin

April 16, 2013 at 3:46 pm

She try abeg, good presentation and she fry the tometo ..lol d same way our mama dem teach us, her mama try, she train am wellllllllllllllllllll

5. Peggyz Place

April 16, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Go girl. Keep up the fantastic work.

6. jb

April 16, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Wow! This is fantastic. You are actually quite great at this and give you a score of 10/10. I can definetly see this on major global networks because your show has an edge (USP – educational and fact filled) hence I have to be honest… I think this is better suited than the ask ICPR videos where you give PR tips of the trade.

7. moving on swiftly

April 16, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Oh this lady. She used to be a model. Very pretty….. Opsy pls I am skinny and I could eat a house. Its the genes. get off her case.

8. Sola

April 16, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Good job Ms Yetunde, I’m making the fish cake and jollof rice today. No listening to naysayers. You rock *Cyber hug*

9. pynk

April 16, 2013 at 4:21 pm

lol, she’s now a chef? lol! I rmbr her from about year 2000

10. Seyi

April 16, 2013 at 4:23 pm

I love this show and the way it is presented.

11. comment waiting moderation!

April 16, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I eat 6 times a day,and I’m size 8! Get over it,it just her pose that amuse me

• Oaken

April 17, 2013 at 5:04 am

You ain’t slim at size 8

• Ready

April 17, 2013 at 4:58 pm

In British sizing, a size 8 is the second smallest size after 6. That’s slim.

12. Bidemi

April 16, 2013 at 6:05 pm

great job, presentation is on point.

Please she eats wellllllllllllllllllllll. Add her on facebook and you’ll see all the chop chop she gets into….

From her pics just realized she was Stephanie Okerekes Maid of Honor……..Random i know. lol

13. July :)

April 16, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Disregard all the nonsense .You Pilot episode was excellent. Food Network better jump on it fast. You are feeding the soul and the mind very well presented indeed. I made the fishcake on Sunday .Keep it coming,I’m so looking forward to more

14. The Real Madam the Madam

April 16, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Yetunde Taiwo has always been very talented, from her web design, to her PR company (I heard she’s Stephanie Okereke’s PR rep), and now her cooking show. God go bless your hustle ma’am. Keep up the good work.

15. Tokunbo

April 16, 2013 at 6:33 pm

YES!! YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE FAT OR CHUBBY TO BE A CHEF BUT DARN LOOK HEALTHY…. I’LL FEEL GUILTY EATING ANYTHING SHE OFFERS ME, SHE LOOKS SICK! SHE USED TO BE A MODEL NOW A CHEF HMMMM….

• Hot sumtyn

April 16, 2013 at 7:34 pm

She looks sick? Really? You must be a very fat and jealous person *hands you a box of kleenex* You might want to wipe off your insecurities. But then again. It looks so good with your size 18 dress.

• Flue

April 17, 2013 at 12:13 am

Look healthy??Really? Did you ignorant self just say that?Are you her doctor?Some of you are just darn stupid!

• Oaken

April 17, 2013 at 5:03 am

You missed journalist and designer. Lol..the girl na hustler

16. The Real Madam the Madam

April 16, 2013 at 6:52 pm

@ Tokunbo, I doubt she’s concerned about you and your fellow ignoramuses.

• ms sexy

April 16, 2013 at 11:01 pm

madam why are u on bella replying whoever is not on ur side? we dont roll like that here, some wl like and some wl not, thats what makes life tick
      get over it pls

17. Akwugo

April 16, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Awesome pilot! Lots of great content packed in less than 30 minutes. Clearly looks like she’s having a great time. Isn’t it amazing how we can reinvent ourselves over and over again in one lifetime?! Model, PR specialist, now on her way to culinary stardom by the look of things. You go girl!!!

18. mexo

April 16, 2013 at 8:42 pm

love this so much!
    she is great!

19. Dunni

April 16, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I am very very impressed Yetunde. You are an inspiration to me. I can’t wait for the revolution of African food to join Food Network, and I can’t wait for Jollof rice or Even Yam Porridge to be served at a 5 star Michelin restaurant. I’m right behind you, pave the way for me o. As a fellow cook, I am very very proud of this. Very very. Well done

• Iretidayo

April 17, 2013 at 10:03 am

There is nothing like 5 star Michelin resturant,3 star is the highest

• Iretidayo

April 17, 2013 at 11:30 am

*restaurant

20. Concerned_Boyfriend

April 16, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I’ll take that fish cake recipe a step further by making it into a stew…add carrot, cabbage and you have what the Senegambians call Boullet. Courtesy of my Gambian girlfriend

21. Concerned_Boyfriend

April 16, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I rather season that chicken with Ginger, black pepper, Jamaican curry, Onion and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour ..Courtesy of my Jamaican girlfriend

22. Tess

April 16, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Welldone Yetunde! Presentation is great, it appeals to non-Africans and Africans alike, i definitely see this on Food Network soon. Also love the little fun facts about Nigeria ( and Africa). We are so proud of you girl, you can only go higher!

23. Ngum

April 16, 2013 at 10:07 pm

After reading Chimamanda Adichie’s “Americanah”, I suddenly find acquired accents even more hilarious! Good luck to her.

• Sola

April 17, 2013 at 2:36 pm

• Ms. Concerned Citizen

April 29, 2013 at 6:00 am

Wow how would you know if you were not her ? Yetunde we know this is you o. Why are you coming here to voltron? Anyways whilst at it sha please just make use of the constructive criticism and call it a day. Most of the advice here would actually help make your show better IMHO. My take aways : dress like a chef not a model (granted it’s a nod to your modeling days but it looks somewhat forced), lose the nail polish (HUYUGE no no), please wash your hands often after handling the raw stuff (don’t poison the crew that slave over the camera to work on your show lol), the kitchen I’m afraid does look bland, almost like a CSI lab setting, make it look more real, get pieces that represent the background of the food you are trying to cook …lastly, be real, be yourself, the accent does come on a tad strong here and we can hear you slip in and out of it in pockets – not a good look if we are a part of your audience (and you know what I mean by we, I mean we your Naija peeps). We are nice and sensitive and might feel patronized. Frankly as someone who is in the media industry, I can tell you straight up that this is the only way the big hitters like Food Network would want to pick this up (and I for one would like to see an African food oriented show on the network so you berra come correct lol) otherwise why would they want more of the same ol same ol schpill. Don’t blend in, stand out. You can only make a difference by willing to be different. Don’t try to copy awon Giada, Rachel, Padma dem o, agree and recognize that you can’t do it better than them, (it’s the truth) – this will lead you to find your own niche and if and when you do, the world will beat a path to your door to see what you have to offer, or is it kitchen de ni lol… Ahem Bellanaija post this comment please as this one really is for Yetunde’s, sorry Sola’s own good o…

• Bliss

April 23, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Oh yeah? Omg. I’m jealous much. Pray tell, how did you get it? I thought it wasn’t going to be on the market till mid May.

24. Ok o

April 16, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Love her.the food looks healthy and that’s why she looks healthy.All people complaining about her not being fat,u better take the clue from this.This is called eating healthy.Drop that naija mentality of if you are not fat you are,not healthy!

25. Ok o

April 16, 2013 at 10:27 pm

The menu looks more practiceable unlike chef fregz’s.And I love her kitchen by the way

26. reGina

April 17, 2013 at 12:04 am

good pilot, but she is wrong about casava. casava and plantains are staples of west africa taken to the new word by europeans, just thought il put that out there…did my graduate thesis on african food influence in the new word such as caribbeans and latin america. also we had our own peppers before europeans came, they just brought jalepeno peppers.

• Slice

April 17, 2013 at 6:09 pm

as i have read and just checked again, cassava is from brazil and paraguay.

27. dee lami

April 17, 2013 at 12:40 am

FINALLLY!!…YETs !!!!with pictures of food on fb to this.. yay! excited much.

28. NNENNE

April 17, 2013 at 1:13 am

Brilliant. I love it.

29. Sara Adebayo

April 17, 2013 at 1:18 am

Actually Jolof Rice is originated from SENEGAL in the city of N’dar, Jolof as many Nigerians or ghanaen call it is WOLOF, which is an ethnic group from SENEGAL. Chebou diene means, rice fish, and this is not how it is cooked in Senegal! If you present this dish the way you cook it to a SENEGALESE MAN, he will just drop dead! Tiebou Dienn ( Chebu DIEN) does not have chicken it is cooked with FISH!

30. Sara Adebayo

April 17, 2013 at 1:22 am

Even in the Gambia, this is not called JOLOF RICE, i don’t know where this is originated but neither Gambia or Senegal! The whole world knows that CHEBU JENN ( What she calls jolof rice ) is cooked with fish and broken rice, and the senegalese ingredients! Mrs. Chef be careful what you post online! I was posted with the U.N for 7 years between Dakar and Gambia, and this is not jolof rice 🙁

• Slice

April 17, 2013 at 6:13 pm

This is jollof rice as we eat it around me. as she said, there are many different ways to cook this same food. golly I don’t know this chick but some of the criticisms against her are just disheartening.

31. Sel

April 17, 2013 at 2:35 am

This is such a great idea….In Yankee it’s so surprising how Mexican, Chinese , Indian have been promoted so the whites like it a lot. How’ve rev African and most especially west African food does not have such popularity even though I think our food is great. Way to go girl

32. Oaken

April 17, 2013 at 5:02 am

Eh ya…yetunde still searching for big break. I hope this works

• Coalport

April 18, 2013 at 2:18 am

See bad belle o. Except you ve gotten your own big break. Kindly shut it. You think this is naija where people get stick in a Job while thinking they ll get rich there. In America, you do what brings in money and continue to add in new business ventures. It’s called entrepreneurship. If you are not bill gates, please wipe that smack, hatred and insecurity off your face with this tissue. Let me know if trying bringing down another human being made you feel better. Shio.

33. Deluxury Queen

April 17, 2013 at 10:38 am

Ok… good concept an all. But what really happened to Authentic African Food being cooked on tv. Trust me, there’s a good cooking show concept for Nigerian food. It spans across the tribes and traditions. I would have prefered it if she went to a local market, not a posh one. Am not saying she should go to Alaba or Mushin market oh, maybe a local and nice market (Tejuosho Market or Ojota Market, some where local but in a confined area) would have made it more authenticly african/naija. I mean u see Nigella Lawson or Jamie Oliver going to pick stuff from their garden or going to a farm to pick gorwn ingredients etc. The concept for a cookery show can either work well or go wrong. This is nice, but it needs to reach all classes in nigeria,from the haves and have-nots. Cooking spans across all walks of life. And also who is the audience of this cooking show? Singleton, Masterchef wannabe, Married woman, or A food fanatic?

But good start though. but i really loved the Maggie Kitchen food show (Funmi Ade- something)….. that was ages ago. That was the Pioneering TV chef back in the day. Those were the days….

But lets be fair, its a good start, I see Nigerian cuisine reaching the borders and being more global and recignised. Lets see some Ikokore, Starch and Banga soup done in class. That would be a good sight. Eh…. dont knock it before you try it…

Habenero is Scotch bonnet (also known as ata rodo) LOL
    #justsaying

• Sola

April 17, 2013 at 2:37 pm

• Sola

April 17, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Wow …. She has lived in America for years. You acquire the accent of the area you ve lived in for a long period of time. Oh so ignorant. And it’s called farmers market in the US. It’s the local market here. Appreciate a good thing.

• Slice

April 17, 2013 at 6:20 pm

the cooking show she’s doing is realistic so anybody can copy the food. how authentic would it look for her to go to a so called local market? does she look like someone who actually shops there. If she did that now, we’d accuse her of slumming (pretending to be low class….yes people get accused of that too). And what the heck is a truly Nigerian kitchen? how many of us professional women have earthy tones for our kitchens? plus home girl probably borrowed someone’s kitchen to do the show. Abi she should paint it too? Free the babe joh. and o well the sauce didn’t splash. Not everybody has to watch the show. Me, I consider myself a pretty girl and watching a pretty girl get down to business is inspiring to me. and guys who like to watch pretty girls will watch her too. If you need mama Iyabo cooking, there are some of those on youtube.

• Bidemi

April 17, 2013 at 8:13 pm

She lives in Miami Fl…..Exactly how is she supposed to go to local Market in Nigeria to shop for food being cooked in America?

• Deluxury Queen

April 18, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Hey Bidemi, not having a dig at her hustle, am just giving an opinion….Not hating. Just giving my own concept.

• Matt

April 17, 2013 at 11:57 pm

I hope you know she lives in Florida unless you are planning on bringing Tejuosho market to this place.

34. sanaa

April 17, 2013 at 11:02 am

Eeyah di girl try sha, God bless your hustle…

35. Adaure Achumba

April 17, 2013 at 11:13 am

This is AWESOME Yets!! Absolutely well done. Keep it up. Looking forward to more.

36. Ani

April 17, 2013 at 2:12 pm

This is good. People must talk. Believe in what you you do. I liked the simplicity, most of these bad belle people will steal your idea. Nice work.

37. Isima Richards

April 17, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Nice presentation. Looks like something from the food network. African food presented in an oyinboish way. Loves it!

38. Adia

April 17, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Can someone please explain to me why she DID NOT wash her hands after handling RAW fish and chicken????!!!! That is salmonella waiting to happen!!!! Someone please tell her for moving forward with this show, wiping your hands on a hand cloth is NOT enough!!!!!!!!!

39. Classic

April 17, 2013 at 4:46 pm

There is nothing fantastic about this video. I see an African trying to “cook” african foods in an american way which in my opinion doesn’t work. Darling, the chicken isn’t brown enough to be called baked or fried. It still looks boiled. Did you ever watch Maggi Family Menu, back in the early 90’s? Funmi, the first presenter then, usually tasted the food for salt or just to be sure it tasted right, while it was still on the fire with a small spoon. We loved the way she usually said “hmmm, tastes just right” or something similar. That made the food come alive. You need to work on that. And while you are at it, take off those nail polish. Food and nail polish don’t mix. You don’t want to serve tainted food. Work on the decor of your kitchen. Try some earthy tones. Get someone to help you design a truly Nigerian kitchen for use in your video. And keep in mind, this isn’t a fashion or model video shoot, so please dress appropriately. Funmi was slim too, but we never saw her bare shoulders. What if the sauce splashed or something? So keep those shoulders in clothes. Watch Rachel Ray’s videos. You may pick up an idea or two from them.

• Landon

April 17, 2013 at 6:14 pm

One thing you have to realize is that those people you mentioned have been in the business for a long period of time. I don’t know who Funmi is but I can tell you that when Rachael Ray started her cooking show she wasn’t that much of an expert. As the years went by she improved and became the expert that she is today. The same goes for all these chefs: Chef Padma Lakshmi, Chef Anthony Bourdain, Chef Giada de Laurentiis, Chef José Andrés and Chef David Kinch. All these people were not always experts from the get go. I have seen tremendous improvement from each of these chefs compared to when they first started. This is just her first cooking video attempt : You can’t been comparing her to people that have been in the business for freaking ages. Does she have a lot to learn and grow : definitely. There are a million ways in which someone can decorate or design their kitchen. Why does she have to do it your own way or someone else’s way. If this is how she likes the arrangement of her kitchen : Why not?

Yetunde Taiwo : Washing your hands after handling raw meat or fish is quite important so you or the person eating the food don’t get food poison. OR You can get some Aloe Synthetic or Vinyl Poly gloves when handling meat or fish. Toss them away when you are done. Keep up the good work and working hard at what you are doing. As time passes you will get better and improve.

• yabababe

April 29, 2013 at 4:04 pm

and can i add. pls no nail polish.. issshhhh

40. mo

April 17, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Concerned boyfriend you are hilarious!! Abeg she did’nt acquire that her accent properly, what is ‘gonno’?? I’m gonno bake the chicken?!!

41. honeydee

April 17, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I dnt think she bad at all. lets not be too harsh. i remember boasting aba my jollof to sm1 n d day i decided to show off, the jollof cooked me instead. heheheehehe. shame catch me sha but i was able to redeem my dented image on anoda occasion. The only issue i had wiv her was washing of hands. lets also promote hygiene. apart from that well done babe and may God make you grow in this path that u’ve chosen

42. Cool

April 18, 2013 at 4:06 am

Adia,
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I cringed when she wiped her hands with the towel after handling chicken. Ayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

43. Deluxury Queen

April 18, 2013 at 2:25 pm

She also reminds me of Lorraine Pascale (Model turned TV Chef) in the UK. Lepa like Ms Taiwo too…

44. The Fairy GodSister

April 18, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I’m so trying out the fish cakes!

45. lalaroses

April 29, 2013 at 5:46 am

na wa o
    easy on the lady BNers
    she’s making her mark in the sand of times even though i also dont feel the word afropolitan, western slavery here we come again. African is african, why cosmpolitanize us again also her handling of the food is too ajebutter
    anyways i digress. if you can do it better, step up to it or the ones you recommend put them on american tv, lets see them
    but seriously she needs to be more authentic than this if she is doing african
    everything is so americanized
    whatever happened to clay pots and cooking with wrapper on chest
    *tongue sticking out* am out

46. yabababe

April 29, 2013 at 4:06 pm

please. i dont want chips of pink nail polish in my jollof rice