News

When Can An African Woman Divorce Her Husband? | Watch the Battabox Video

Atoke

Last month, the guys at Battabox went on the streets of Lagos to ask if Nigerians if they were faithful and if fidelity was a virtue to be upheld. The responses were quite eye opening.

Anyway, Adeola is back to ask women how far they can be pushed before they seek the divorce route.
Check on it and please share your thoughts!

Photo Credit: moodboard/Corbis

1. koko

May 23, 2013 at 1:55 pm

really sad…..i tink battabox shld invest in good hairdo nd customes for this their presenter…..

• Christian

May 23, 2013 at 2:50 pm

lol koko! only original African hair on BattaBox ooo (and no big big grammar either!!)

• koko

May 23, 2013 at 4:20 pm

yes i understand buh natural hair can also look really cute too….

• deep

May 24, 2013 at 3:17 am

em, her hair is straightened, how’s that African hair? schew

2. Xtelle

May 23, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I pity Nigerians…so many women are still going to die from spousal violence or STDs.

3. lola

May 23, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Seriously. what were you guys expecting? Nigeria women will leave when they are dead and contract AIDS!

4. her

May 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm

LOBATAN!!!

• maryam

May 29, 2013 at 6:11 pm

hahahahahaah!!! i havent even seen the video yet but this comment says it all.

5. Iwari

May 23, 2013 at 2:33 pm

it’s quite a shame…it is well

6. Bisi O.

May 23, 2013 at 2:33 pm

So0o0ooo0o sad…I’m not surprised at these responses

7. kokoqueen

May 23, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Real Facts….No Nigeria woman want the tag Divorcee…I am a married woman…although i live in UK, i am against divorce….If your marriage is in Crisis, Go to the Ultimate potter….His name is Jesus Christ…..he will mold it back again. The bible allows us to divorce when one’s partner is committing adultery but only if you are sure you can abstain as u are not allowed to marry again UNLESS your PARTNER IS DEAD…if your partner is alive and you re-marry…You are then living in ADULTERY…
    The truth is that most of us women know a man that cheat and hits even before we get married to them. Before i got married…an ex of mine use to hit me and even tear my clothes…i was too weak to leave..so i went to God in prayers to perfect his will for my life and i was free from the abusive guy. some years before i got married, i was engaged to be married and found out dt my fiance was a serial cheat although he was very rich and generous to me…I cancelled the engagement after we had done the family introduction and many other stuff…some of my frnds called me stupid….A year later i got married to my husband and by the grace of God he is God’s perfect will for me…..I used to see my self as a very good virtuous, and responsible woman but when i got to know my man….all i see in myself are flaws…..
    So my fellow ladies/sisters look before you leap…not all that glitters are gold….so..choose your battle carefully…

• Truth

May 23, 2013 at 4:10 pm

U r – brainwashed..If person no good 4 u, leave and get on with ur life..Alive or not..Look @ u…It was Men who wrote all dat trash about divorce those years ago..It was always about making sure women do not have a voice. Be wise..there is more to life than being a Mrs…una no go kpai 2geda, u came to this world alone and so did he. There are a million and one ways to be fulfilled and happy in this like…I know some of una go challenge me on this..I wont be surprised if una be olodo, poor or ugly pple which prob make u feel u have no hope in life and dat prob d marriage at all cost will give u some small levels..Nnsense.. Mschew

• InCotonou

May 23, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I agree with you. I think the reason why most women are afraid to get a divorce is because they are afraid of being “tagged” as divorcees. Ironically, this is also the main reason why so many single girls overlook things that are staring them in the face and marry the wrong guy. Because the “tag” of being single, carries a lot of negative connotations in our societies. I have heard many women say that a even a bad marriage is better than being single.

Interestingly, people use Christianity and the Bible to justify these choices. But at the bottom, it is fear of being “tagged”. And I don’t think that making any decision in life based on fear, no matter how unconscious the fear, is not the best way to live life. And I don’t think that staying married due to fear of being “tagged” a divorcee, is the life that the Bible is recommending. If you truly believe that you are a child of God, what should it matter what other people “tag” you?

• Anonymous

May 23, 2013 at 10:23 pm

You and InCotonou said it best! Anyone who thinks otherwise is absolutely foolish and blind to the truth.

• enenebe

May 24, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I noticed you all that called her write up bullshit and brainwashed decided to ignore the part where she said most women know that their husbands are cheats or WWW Champions before the got married to them. Please since you seem so wise can u explain that cos i believe that the crux of the matter

• NO way

May 23, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Absolute bullshit. I knw Jesus does not want me to contact AIDS OR DIE because I am married

• Jamce

May 26, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Please stop misinterpreting the Bible. Adultery is a ground for divorce… In fact the only ground which permits the innocent spouse to divorce and remarry. Read Matthew 19:1-10; 1Cor.7:1-15. Don’t confuse it with Paul’s injunction to remain unmarried if you leave your spouse merely because he or she is not a believer. We should study and understand before we say the wrong things.

8. superwoman

May 23, 2013 at 2:39 pm

repulsive responses…

9. Mo

May 23, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Thepsyche of the Nigerian woman has broken and been trodded upon Thesare not mad, or depressed or crazy people. They are actually speaking like normal people because they believe i. Ewooooooo our mothers where did they go wrong raising us o, how did we come to this.

• Specs

May 23, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Abegi!! My mama raised me right oh! I tell you, if yawa burst, na she go come pack my load from the man’s house. Hmmm… They should go and interview the women from my village!! Nigeria is multi-cultural oh! I am Yoruba- but women from my parts leave their husbands everyday….My grandma left my grandpa because he was a chronic cheat. In fact, my mum told me that while she was growing back in the day there was no crime, the only cases that were being held in the customary courts were divorce cases; men would sue other men for snatching their wives, women would leave their husbands if they weren’t properly being taken care of(food and clothes for herself and her kids) etc. so people should stop saying it’s not our culture to divorce. Even till date, my family no dey collect bride price (cash), instead they leave the man with a stern warning that the family would be taking their daughter back if he doesn’t take proper care of her. On the contrary, my mum’s side of the family does not tolerate any of the men throwing their wives out. In fact, one of my uncles became excommunicated because he insisted on leaving his wife…after 5years of fighting and court visits, I hear he has gone back to his wife and kids now. Abeg to each his own in Nigeria, aint nobody gat time for trifling men!!

• Funmi

May 23, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Ose jare, what a sick society. Nigerian women have been brain washed and most of them don’t know their worth. It’s a pity

• olorile

May 23, 2013 at 8:39 pm

as in you are too sharp joe. these women are not serious. the fact is nigerian women like to boast to other WOMEN THAT THEY ARE MARRIED. that is why you can see a 23yr old girl rushing to get married in nigeria. her husband would probably have mistresses all over the world while she is telling her friends that she is happily married. RUBBISH

• laolu

May 23, 2013 at 10:20 pm

true that! so many people think it’s not our ‘culture’. but our culture (yoruba at least) shows a history of women not standing for nonsense! even way back then!

10. Oby

May 23, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Its just really sad. But the truth of the matter is that these women saying that they would stay, would definately have a boyfriend outside that they would use to be cheating with behind their husbands back to be sane. As for the lady that said if her husband is beating her, she would just focus on her children and forget him, that is nonsense. Its the same as divorce, its then just a paper binding you, which is useless at the end of the day and he wont change. I just feel sad for our women, we accept rubbish and complain about it, all in the name of marriage. “If men came with guaranty of access to heaven, then i can understand why they are ready to accept rubbish”.

• Truth

May 23, 2013 at 4:17 pm

• Jamce

May 26, 2013 at 1:09 pm

11. Purpleicious Babe

May 23, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Deep responses but i guess for NOW its the norm…….

[email protected] rat poison…. as in….

lifeinstagesdoz.blogspot.co.uk/

• Bribe me :)

May 27, 2013 at 3:08 am

LOL @RAT POISON

12. observer

May 23, 2013 at 2:59 pm

y’all are misquoting the bible ooo, ladies shouldn’t give men the reason to cheat by saying its normal for men to cheat . you deserve better !!!

• Truth

May 23, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Na only u talk sensible thing for here. Good to know that not all our women out there are brainwashed by all these so called bible quotes that were written by men ages ago to gain absolute control over women.

13. nich

May 23, 2013 at 3:17 pm

the summary says it all….africans either men or women hold marriage in high esteem. this is why the divorce rate in africa below %30 in africa and above %65 in the west. Americans and europeans have lower tolerance with issues in marriage while africans and asians have higher tolerance in marriage and respects the instituition . about %70 of all my american colleagues and friends come from broken homes.

but as africans we must give credit to the women for holding on strong in marriage. african Christianity has also played a very big role in this, yes i said african christianity because the christianity in the west for me is weak and totally different from what we have in africa.

For me i think constant adultery and violence should be the ground for a woman to end the marriage. Nigeria may have been ravaged with poverty, unemployment, war, but they have one thing which is priceless, the power and joy of marriage especially in the igbo culture where polygamy is not commonly accepted.

• deep

May 24, 2013 at 3:54 am

But suffering is accepted, so far he takes good care of you… shio

• RA

May 24, 2013 at 5:43 pm

joy of marriage??? when a Nigerian woman says its okay if her husband cheats on her and beats her???…how is that “joy in marriage”

14. Pamper Me

May 23, 2013 at 3:40 pm

@Kokoqueen I dissagree with refering to divorcees as living in adultery. The same bible we are talking about gives room for HIS GRACE. where have you put the grace of God in all of these? The same Bible emphisize so much on forgiveness. lemme bring your attention to someting, The Bible talks about all type of SINs AND MISCONDUCT e.g adultery, fornication, murder, TERRORISM, and so much more, one of those misconduct the Bible did not talk about is MEN HITTING WOMEN. In my own little mind, I think God himself would not have thought any sane Man would hit a woman, twas probably unimaginable. Yeah Right!! I’ll sight example of Titi Arowolo butchered to death by her monstrous husband, (I worked with Titi for a little while) she couldnt leave the abusive husband because of what people like you would have told her…been tagged a divorcee, encouraging her to pray about it et al, You see where all these landed my dearie Titi… 6 feet under!!! May her beautiful and gentle soul RIP. Do you think if we had people encouraging women to leave abusive relationship some of these women wouldnt be alive? I’m not encouraging divorce but at the same time if you are not happy in your marrigae, why waste your time, life and your spouse’s precious time too. Take a damn walk! believe me some marriages are mistakes! i could continue on and on but i guess twill be becoming more of an epistle..**smiles**

15. Mimz

May 23, 2013 at 3:49 pm

ROTFLMAO!!! All these foolish women!!!!!

16. nnenne

May 23, 2013 at 3:56 pm

the interviewer needs to work on her appearance, diction and composure. she was annoying the hell out of me.

the responses are not surprising. Personally, i won’t divorce my husband if he cheats on me mistakenly but will most certainly leave him if he is a chronic cheat. i will divorce him if he beats me up cos i can’t stand it. I hope and pray God won’t give me a cheating and abusive man cos i don’t ever want to divorce once i sign the dotted lines cos God hates it.

• Miss Anonymous

May 24, 2013 at 10:15 am

If he cheats on you “mistakenly”?!

• Truth

May 24, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I tell u…loool …

• maryam

May 29, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Wow i think ur response is even worse than the ones in the video. How do people cheat mistakenly? Explain yourself.

17. MissShayee

May 23, 2013 at 3:57 pm

hehehe! He will change one day!

those ladies that were interviewed are not married. So it is easy for them to open their mouths and say they are gonna stay.

In the past, it was difficult for women to leave their husbands primarily because they really didn’t have a means of livelihood if they had to leave. Trust me, maltreated and battered wives wanted to leave. But society had raised girls to stay with their husbands no matter what. Boys in turn grew up watching their fathers beat up their mothers and then go out to drink,sleep with other women and even bring in 2nd and 3rd wives. Let’s face it, it is a prerogative that has been passed down from generation to generation.

the advent of gender equality and female education has given women the chance to take care of themselves if the men responsible for them don’t stand up to the task.

Listen y’all, if a woman ever thinks of leaving her home,it is a shame to the man not her! Why would a woman stay with a man who molests her,batters her physically and psychologically,all in the name of staying because of the kids?

If she dies as a result of the buffoon’s beatings, the man takes another wife who will batter her step kids. Her primary purpose is to stay alive for her kids. If she needs to leave,so be it!

For those women that stay, it works in two ways. Either they pity and respect her,or disdain her for not having the courage to leave. The sons will either grow up to be wife batterers,or decide not to batter their wives. The daughters will either be very wary of men or get it twisted and think offering herself to him will curry her man’s favor.

I have a friend who disdain’s her mom for not leaving. Even after 25 years,the man still beats her. Why do we women think our fulfillment as human beings lies under the roof of a man’s house?

This is a sad situation. Things have to change.

18. lahips

May 23, 2013 at 3:59 pm

you took those words right from my heart

19. chuks

May 23, 2013 at 4:25 pm

the only solution to this is when the man and woman have the fear of God. it the fear of God in a man heart that will make a man never to hit his wife. for me the woman don’t have the right to live because is for better and for worse there both said together before marriage

naijanewsonline.com

• maryam

May 29, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Hahahaha..”for me the woman don’t have the right to live” i guess u might as well just kill her right?

20. Bathsheba

May 23, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Nigerian Women change your reasoning and the men will change , I just broke up with a guy that says his father cant travel from Abuja to kaduna to see my parent for Introductions been married as a woman is Good but not the ultimate goal Lol at the Access to heaven

• Miss Anonymous

May 24, 2013 at 10:16 am

Are you serious?!

• Cynthia

May 25, 2013 at 12:09 am

Can you just imagine, thumbs up gal. Good riddance, God would give u a better man.choi

21. Vanessa

May 23, 2013 at 5:18 pm

African women take a lot of shit in marriage because they are scared of being single or divorced. As long as a man treats me well, I will not divorce him even if he is broke. I can only divorce a man if he is emotionally/physically/verbally abusive to me, if he doesn’t take care of my needs when he has the means to do so,if his family wants to ‘kill’ me and he does nothing to stop it. I will never divorce a cheating partner if he is discreet and still caring to me and mine and appears repentant when caught. I will never leave a man who truly loves me if he has a terminal sickness.

22. Specs

May 23, 2013 at 5:19 pm

23. Vanessa

May 23, 2013 at 5:28 pm

In marriage, never tolerate an abusive spouse, be it the man or the woman. Men who beat omen are stupid. Most of them can’t even fight their fellow men. They do it because they feel that they can beat the woman, it is never a devil’s work. It is their work. A good man will always treat a woman right and it takes a God-fearing man to be the best marriage partner. Everybody is tempted by the flesh to react in trying moments but it takes the grace of God to do the right thing. Instead of beating your wife, give her silence. it will hurt her and bring her back to her senses. Women should be hardworking and should never see marriage as what makes a woman complete. It is designed by God for the man to look for the woman. (He that findeth a wife findeth a good thing and obtains favour from the Lord). Abusing your spouse is abusing God’s favour. Women should never cheapen themselves for a man’s sake.

24. Sarah Adebayo

May 23, 2013 at 7:21 pm

These are desperate women! This is why African men treat us like a door mat! it is not ok for a man to mistreat a woman.. a woman is a mother, a sister, a friend, everything! treat her right…If a man does not respect me and treats me like a doormat, I will walk out no matter what! I rather be alone than be treated like a dog, or door mat

25. Tae

May 23, 2013 at 8:19 pm

This is so disgusting to watch, no wonder so many woman stay till they are killed. God loves you and will never expect anyone to stay with a person that endangers their life. It’s not only beating that endangers one’s life, cheating is just as bad. I told my man i would leave him if he ever cheats on me and he told me how proud he was of me at that moment. He was saying how disgusting it is when a woman tells him, well as long as you don’t bring her home. Nigerian woman where is your self- respect?

26. olorile

May 23, 2013 at 8:40 pm

THE fact is nigerian women like to boast to other WOMEN THAT THEY ARE MARRIED. that is why you can see a 23yr old girl rushing to get married in nigeria. her husband would probably have mistresses all over the world while she is telling her friends that she is happily married. RUBBISH

27. Ngum

May 23, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Unsurprising but extremely saddening responses from most. I believe a part of someone dies when they stick to a bad marriage for financial reasons, social pressure or whatever else. Someone mentioned the kids. Ironically, the burden of bickering parents is something that traumatises many for a long time. I’ve known people who were relieved when their parents finally found the spine to call it quits.

28. Angry

May 23, 2013 at 11:47 pm

I would LOVE to know the rate of depression among Nigerian women.

Look how they are complacent with less than the bare minimum. You respect marriage, and would stay despite your husband’s blatant disrespect and broken vows by cheating. I would love the know the rate of depression and STD among these women.

We have just given men the go ahead to mistreat women and worse of, our children…growing up to subconsciously learning this from society and at home, thinking its okay…the vicious cycle

Lets not forget the battery and assault part…SMH. This explains why every other day its a case of domestic violence related deaths i read on LindaIkeji.

This is part of the reason why parents are burying their daughters. And the sad irony of it is that the fathers must have also beat the mother at some point. Vicious Cycle continues.

Terrible Nigeria, terrible.

I am divorced, and no its not something i am proud of…but i am not going to feel ashamed of it because society says so.

29. Adedayo

May 24, 2013 at 12:50 am

haa, dont divorce???? Jesus did not die for this mehn.NEXTTTTT!

30. Adedayo

May 24, 2013 at 12:55 am

see all the local champions they are even interviewing… are these those LAUTECH girls from that “how many boyfriends can you have video”
    pls pls,they need to interview women in more cooperate world that are running things,i really wanna hear their opinions

31. B

May 24, 2013 at 10:14 am

Is this video to be laughed at or what?????? Joke! Joke! Joke

32. 5'5

May 24, 2013 at 11:23 am

the difference between the female respondents in the video and the ones commenting is that the ones in the video are being vocal with what choices they will make while those here hide behind the key board to type what they wouldnt do. A great percentage of Nigerian Women DO NOT divorce. That is a fact. Forget all this spouting of fire and brimstone one here. This is internet braggado.

• Truth

May 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm

5’5..u be disappointment…I agree with Adedayo

• You'd be surprised

May 24, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Wise and independent Nigerian women divorce when necessary. My sister married (massive wedding) an abusive man, as heartbreaking as it was for my entire family ,she bounced from his house in a year(and that was with her praying about it for 6months, in my opinion she stayed there too long sef)….some people no send, if you or the women in your life are wimps and have low self-esteem , no be say others go resembu you na.
      I come from a Christian family, but like the yoruba peeps will say Oyinbo to shey pencil lo shey eraser. The same scripture that tells you to leave only on the account of adultery also promises grace and new beginnings.

• Dong yi

May 26, 2013 at 5:36 am

You can say that again. Lol we think alike. I will be so leaving the marriage the next day I find out

• Dong yi

May 26, 2013 at 5:34 am

Not true. If you say Nigerian women living in Nigeria, I would say true. Not so with some Nigerian women living outside Nigeria cause they know who they are and will not take nonsense.

33. Bella

May 24, 2013 at 2:57 pm

na wa o, so nigerian woiman, dis is you abi?

34. juh

May 24, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Yes o’ We don open EYE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• replyf

May 27, 2013 at 3:16 am

b4

35. dami

May 24, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Leave!!! One thing I love my mum for is that she ran from my abusive dad, y stay with a man that wants to kill u?

36. anonymous 99

May 24, 2013 at 11:52 pm

if this reporter came up to me. i would walk away see how she looks so unkept. nawa o

37. anonymous 99

May 24, 2013 at 11:57 pm

JOKE OF LIFE. RUBBISH

38. Zira

May 25, 2013 at 7:46 pm

To be honest

39. Zira

May 25, 2013 at 7:57 pm

We are living in a world where people don’t even want to fix things when they are broken but just want to get new things……in the bible, God never had divorce in his agenda but because of the hardened heart of man, he told Moses to include divorce on the grounds of adultery. Also, another situation where divorce is accepted is when a Christian is married to an unbeliever and the unbeliever decides to leave, the Christian is no longer bound.

The problem now is women are so scared of being alone that they settle for less, many people have married due to the pressure of being single and most times, they see all these signs even in dating period like cheating, violence…etc.

I will just advice ladies to seek God first completely in all they do and he will settle their relationship on earth. If a man is truly born again in the first place, be won’t cheat or hurt the woman because the bible says ‘ur word have I hid in my heart that I may not sin against thee’..ps 119:11.

Be spiritual and God will bring a man that fears him your way at his own time, do not let the devil attack your mind by putting fear in you making you to settle for less because he wants the wrong people to always get married so that they will bring up defective children and so on.

Remember, one will chase a 1000, two will chase 10,000 and the devil doesn’t want that that…….Seek God first with all your heart and he will reward you with a peaceful marriage,

40. Dong yi

May 26, 2013 at 5:30 am

HELL NO!!! I divorce the idiot. And if he annoys me I will chop his – and give it to vultures. Nigerian women need some self respect. Before he beats me, I would have had a black belt and kick his ass…..men behave badly because women tolerate and allow it. A real man can say no to his sex drive because he is not a dog…he is a human being capable of thinking

41. lynn

May 27, 2013 at 3:00 am

Even before he gets to the hu*****. the WORST is an abusive thaing. heck no!! 🙂

• lynn

May 27, 2013 at 3:04 am

Even if $$$$ is growing on his head. Looooooooool

42. zsa zsa

May 27, 2013 at 7:15 am

This video makes me very sad. Even my husband watched it and was just irritated at the responses.
    In conclusion, the women interviewed would rather die from an STD/AIDS or be beaten to death than leave the marriage alive with the possibility of a second chance at life and happiness. Oh wait! i forgot, the bible forbids divorce and Gods grace does not exist so…..lets just die there.

43. Bathsheba

May 27, 2013 at 9:36 am

@ Cynthia thanks , I had two suitor at the same time and he was my favorite I prayed to God for Guidance and like Joke God did the Math for Me , my Introduction will be 29th of June 2013 and wedding 19th of November
    am so happy cos am getting married to the most Patient man on earth

44. Cynthia

May 27, 2013 at 12:13 pm

When women are talking like this, it only makes men accept that it’s okay for them to cheat. The institution of marriage is no longer respected. These women are silly!

45. hmm

May 27, 2013 at 1:21 pm

our society has never held men accountable for what happens in their marriages, it has always placed the blame and shame on the woman, hence, the weird responses we’re getting. first i will say to the ladies, you cannot have your man accountable when u have permitted him to spread his wild oats while still dating you. two, you need to have a life yourself, have a job or have a marketable skill, stop relying on a man entirely for your survival. three, there’s more to life than wearing Brazilian weaves and having acrylic nails and using Mary Kay or Mac makeup kit, be knowledgeable. the reason is, so many women are willing to leave but they cannot even afford to rent a self contained apartment if they leave their husbands, so they’re forced to stay. the general knowledge you have will also help you to know what to do or how to protect yourself and your kids if your man is abusive or is about to give you a deadly disease because he can’t control himself. in all, ladies, swag doesn’t make a home, it is good upbringing, the love of God and discipline that makes a man be a good husband, so we need to know the important things.

46. heavenly man

December 26, 2014 at 9:00 am

No one 2 blame. No tym 2 analyse. But d important fact here is dat God knows them that are His. For any man or woman who nameth the name of the Lord should depart from iniquity. I am speakin to those who care to see change. Forget “who say” and “what them say”. Lets have a correct mindset, things will change. The problem is, the foundation be faulty what can d righteous do? Plz women and men, one has the right to act as it pleases him/her. One thing is sure: Judgement belongs to God.