News

BN Beauty: Why Buy It When You Can Make It? Check Out this Recipe For Homemade Facials

© Copyright 2011 CorbisCorporationSometimes beauty needs money, and in a bid to get the best quality products we end up spending a huge chunk of it on facial treatments that could probably be whipped up in our kitchen. A good facial peel from a SPA costs about N10, 000, and not everybody including yours truly, can spend that amount frequently. However, we all still want our skin to look smoother, finer and better.

A facial peel also known as chemical peel enhances the appearance of the skin in a very good way. A chemical solution is applied on the skin, which turns the wrinkled or problematic section of the skin into blisters, and this makes it very easy for the layer to be peeled off without scarring the face. The essence of this chemical peel is to make the skin finer and better in appearance.

As I often say “there is always a natural solution to every beauty challenge”. Keep reading as I show you how you can make a natural home made facial peel that is inexpensive, safe and of course works. Once you’re done with this natural facial peel, your skin will look so good (you may not recognize yourself, in a ‘good way’)

What you need
Even though there are a lot of ingredients that can be used to make home made facial masks or peels as you may find on other sites, but this one will only focus on using three.

– Fresh Pineapple (Medium Size)
– Fresh Papaya (PawPaw) (Medium Size)
– Dark Organic Honey (1 Tablespoon)

Wondering why we are using these particular ingredients? Well Pineapple and Papaya contain natural enzymes and alpha-hydroxyl acids that eliminate dead skin cells and the honey soothes and revitalises the skin. Here’s how.

Procedure
Step 1: Blend the Pineapple and the Papaya into a fine paste. It is advisable to use a blender to this effect to get a smooth paste.

Step 2: After the paste has been made, add a tablespoon of organic honey to the mixture.

Step 3: Wash you face with your preferred facial wash, making sure your face is clean and pat dry with a paper towel (Or use a lint-less towel to avoid irritation when the paste is applied)

Step 4: Use your ring finger to apply the paste to your face and neck. While doing this please avoid your eye area or other parts of your ski you know t be sensitive.

Step 5: Lie down on your back, relax and leave the mask on for 20- 25 minutes. If you have sensitive skin reduce the time to around 10 minutes.

Step 6: After exceeding the allotted time, wash the mask off with warm water.

Step 7: After your face is completely dry, use your preferred toner and moisturiser all over the treated area. After this has been done it is advisable to sprinkle some cold water as well; washing your face with warm water opens up your pores allowing the skin soak up the ingredients and moisturiser. Sprinkling  cold water afterwards closes the pores back up securing the treatment under the skin.

And that’s your natural beauty tip! Remember that there are other ingredients and procedures that can be sued to create your home made facial mask. If you have your other treatments please share with us. Till next time, remain beautiful. 😉

Photo Credit: Blackdoctor.org

1. Omo1

May 23, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I’ll try this out

2. kind anon

May 23, 2013 at 3:58 pm

nice write up

3. Lilly

May 23, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Wow! i will definitely try this. Thanks for the info

4. sexy

May 23, 2013 at 4:08 pm

will definitely try this out…..i have been using my own natural mix of Shea butter, coconut oil, glycerin, lemon oil and vitamin E oil as body creme since January and ma skin is glowing…..tired of them chemicals abeg…..in case someone wonders about the glycerin and vitamin E, they are natural plant based I bought from a health store in America…..

• me

May 23, 2013 at 4:27 pm

@Sexy: Will try your mix with lemon, shea butter, coconut oil, glycerin, palm oil and ose dudu i use for a daily facial wash, and boy it works for me.

• Anie

January 2, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Where to get one dudu or raw black soap in lagos?

• Bisola Olonade

May 23, 2013 at 6:14 pm

pls i would like to know if you are dark or fair in complexion as i heard sheabutter darkens

• Magz

May 24, 2013 at 9:20 am

sheabutter doesn’t darken. it maintains ur skin colour and makes ur skin glow. i’ve been using it for a while & im very fair in complexion

• Chikaka

May 24, 2013 at 10:34 am

Anyone who uses shea butter that darkens them has bought an adulterated version. Same way they say Aloe Vera darkens. The pure ones won’t darken you. If you talk about Cocoa Butter, yes. It darkens. How come no one has mentioned eggs? Albumen on it’s own, yolk on its own or just eggs mixed. Suits all skin types. Seriously lifts dirt, softens the skin and brings all those black heads to the fore.

• sisieko

April 20, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Please share recipe o, I am interested in doing mine too. Is it ok to use it under the sun or just at night?

5. ishhhhh

May 23, 2013 at 4:11 pm

6. me

May 23, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Papaya burns my sensitive skin. and so is pineapple. Honey ok, mix the three ingredients together no, CREATE ONE FOR A SENSITIVE SKIN.

7. unsocial butterfly

May 23, 2013 at 4:31 pm

If you are. ALlergic to honey jst like me I think u shld skip it. No point getting all them big boils in the name of facials. Avocado pear is also a gd mask. Nice write up. Y’all hv a gd day!

8. loveth .O

May 23, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Ok

9. deola

May 23, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Tanks

10. Preba

May 23, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Pls how often can i do this

11. Kay

May 23, 2013 at 4:54 pm

You could try sugar, lemon and honey whem you need a facial scrub.. Its a natural way to exfoliate your skin

• Ada

May 27, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I totally agree with this mix. I’ve been using to exfoliate my skin and the result is very good.

• Emma

August 14, 2014 at 10:27 am

Please my problem is more on my body I have a dry wrinkled legs and hands which one do I use for body and face tired of changing cream and soap . An please where can I get this sheer butter and peppermint oil.Emma

12. Vanessa

May 23, 2013 at 4:57 pm

i use avocado pear for my slightly oily face. it works wonders. cucumber for the eyes is refreshing. I think everyone should try what soothes their skin. If you have oily skin, pls try avocado pear. It leaves your skin/face smooth and dry. All the same, Laura, you wrote a helpful piece. Bless you.

• nnenne

May 23, 2013 at 5:49 pm

How do i use the avocado on my face? do i blend it first or mash it? can it be used alone or i have to mix it with sth else? please help a sister out. my face is smooth but damn too oily. make up doesn’t last. Thanks dear

• Floxy mama

May 23, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Hi Nnenne, personally, I’ve used avocado alone and with honey. just mash a ripe avocado (u know d one that the skin has change from green) and rub all over your
      your face, then wash off with warm water after 30mins. or better still add a tablespoon of honey to the mash avocado and use a spoon to mix them together and apply on the face with your fingers and wash off with warm water after 30mins. you wont believe how soft, glowing and fresh your skin will be. i personally prefer with honey.. hope this help oo ..cheers!

13. Adaeze

May 23, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Laura is an expert on skin care. You should see hers! Will try this!
    Nice one!

14. Chic

May 23, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I have only used papaya and honey from your ingredients. My other face masks are avocado, banana and yoghurt used the same way but I add a pinch of turmeric and/or cinnamon powder to it. I mostly one ingredient at a time but I have blended papaya and yoghurt together once. Papaya, honey and lemon used over a long period of time lightens your skin and is a much safer option than bleaching it will not turn you yellow but it tones you by getting rid of black spots etc Natural Aloe vera juice or gel is also a good moisturizer or face mask

• ojima

August 24, 2014 at 12:28 pm

How often do I need to do dis to get a good result?

15. fonny

May 23, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Avocado for me is the best facial recipe. It’s really great for my skin. if you want to try it, you mash your Avocado with milk & oatmeal (or honey)…then follow Laura’s steps.

I will also try Laura’s.

• fatou danso

May 24, 2013 at 2:19 pm

can it be store in a frige or is one time use

16. vivian

May 24, 2013 at 12:29 am

can u store it in a fridge or its a one time use kind of thing?

17. vivian

May 24, 2013 at 12:30 am

i will definitely try it

18. Gabby

May 24, 2013 at 7:29 am

honey, sugar and lemon are the best or i sometimes use salt and honey.Works wonders

19. amarachi

May 24, 2013 at 11:19 am

luv to try dis

20. semab

May 24, 2013 at 1:46 pm

toothpaste is gud too in removing blackheads/white heads.although,its nt a natural product,yet it works

21. #teambellefirst

May 24, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Wonderful advice but i think i’ll just eat all the fruits mentioned above, exercise and drink alot of water.Thank you:) #teambellefirst

• Priscy

May 24, 2013 at 2:38 pm

loooooool

22. brendz

May 24, 2013 at 3:37 pm

hi, where can i get lemon oil? vitamin e oil. I have a lot of black spots and my face is “rough” for lack of a better word. i already wash 2ce a day and c=the pimples have reduced a lot now i need to get rid of the spots

23. www.myHairmyBeautyNIGERIA.COM

May 24, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Love the POST!!! but N10,000 for Chemical Peel?? REALLY?? WHERE??
    But Paw-Paw and Pineapple have papain and bromelain enzymes that gently exfoliate the skin, so this will definitely work.
    myHairmyBeautyNIGERIA.com

24. Danny

May 24, 2013 at 11:57 pm

do one have to prepare this each and every time????…..or can it be prepared and stored dislike 1 week

25. Tee Mama

May 25, 2013 at 4:43 am

Laura can this be stored in the fridge or a fresh paste each time? And ladies can I also store up the avocado paste in fridge?

• Ijeoma

May 25, 2013 at 2:04 pm

My dear, the answer is no. Don’t do it. Never do it. Use the real avocado.

26. olamide

May 25, 2013 at 8:09 am

Hi guys check out officiallamiloly.blogspot.com for OATMEAL facial mask

27. viola

May 25, 2013 at 10:19 am

Helpful tips,thnx all ya,i got myself an easiest way to pamper my face this wk end…..cant wait to get off work…legooo

28. Ijeoma

May 25, 2013 at 2:02 pm

So, i am a big natural fanatic. I have thick curly natural hair and i make my own products. My friend always teases me cos she would say, haba! Ijeoma! At least them the manufacturer do their work. When you see the effect of natural products in your body and on your body, you will be as faithful as i am. Okay, for the face sometimes what i do is boil a pot of water, pour it in a big bowl (sometimes i put peppermint oil) and i put my face over it while making sure to put a towel so the steam does not escape so easily. After that, if you already have one of those already made natural facial scrubs then just use it to scrub your face but it not, take a little bit of brown sugar mixed with olive oil and scrub your face. Yes, olive oil is ahmazing. Also, if you want to try something yummy that would condition your hair proper then just mix avocado with banana in a blender, add some essential oil and put that on your hair. Put plastic bag and cover it for at least thirty minutes. Wash it off and thank me later. Oh! That avocado and banana sef is a good healthy spread on your bread instead of whatever you usually put. Hehehehe see, here i go talking about food. But, let me tell us a secret: water! Yes, water! water! water! Drink it in the morning before you eat, after you eat, when you want to eat and when you are about to sleep! Your skin will thank you, your health will thank you. I have a big aka huge chunk of shea butter in my house that i use as a lip balm, moisturizer and of course, hair care. I make my whipped shea butter maybe once a month. Just take a shea butter, add your essential oils (i use a tweeny bit of peppermint oil, sweet almond oil and glycerin) i blend it all together and let it tell you ladies, it feels like butter! BUTTER! I use it on my hair usually and on my skin. Also, glycerin is the sky ingredient in lotions you buy in stores. Ok…should i stop now? Oh! Ladies! Also, African black soap is your best friend. I make shampoo out of that and i also use the soap daily. Our ancestors knew what they were doing! Ok…i think i should stop now. Hahahaha once you realize just how good natural products are, you will never go back.

• ojima

August 24, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Can I get a body cream made out of natural stuff dat won’t darken my skin? Cos am tired of all dose chemical product in d market cos my skin always react to some of dos so call ‘good chemical product in d market’

• Mayokun

October 30, 2014 at 8:52 am

pls how can I blend lemon juice and Shea butter together without any liquid part?

• Chinwe inyama

November 12, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Hi ije, pls I want to make a natural fruit cream that is mix with oil, but for face and body that also tones

29. jenny

May 25, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Please help, am fair in complection but most tyms after a while I get burns on my face, its so ovious nw and the products in the mrkt are nt helping me. Plz is their a natural remedy I look older , Gosh

30. mari

May 25, 2013 at 11:59 pm

I use organic oat meal or morrocan clay!..then for toner is organic apple cider vinegar with organic green tea.(good for all skin type.
    My cream both face and body is jojoba oil or shed butter(ori ).i love to stay hydrated with water!…

31. Chi

May 26, 2013 at 12:49 am

Wow so enlightenin!!!

32. ebony

May 26, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Loving this info. Pls can someone tell me a very good moisturiser,pls mention d ones dat can be seen in d mkt.
    Is Shea butter a moisturiser?

33. adelegirl

May 26, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I’m going to try adding lemon juice to mine so I can get rid of the black spots and acne scars on my face. Love natural products. Got hooked when I transitioned to natural hair. I currently use either shea butter or coconut oil on my skin everyday. Shea butter works wonders for removing stretch marks. My skin is now so baby soft, even I can’t resist touching my own skin in awe. Didn’t think about doing a mix for body cream. I shall definitely try some of the suggestions on here.

However, a major headache for me is getting pure unadulterated natural product especially here in Abuja.

34. ruby

May 28, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Please where can I get pure coconut and lemon oils in lagos

35. Kimberly Hall

May 29, 2013 at 1:23 am

Thank you so much for sharing this! I will definitely try this later. I really love putting on different natural products on my face and I think that it is also nice to use these fruits on.

36. ebony

May 30, 2013 at 11:44 am

I used mixed lemon juice,honey and sugar as facial scrub and I dnt like d *heat-rashlike* stuff I see on my face afta dat. Pls wat can I do and wat might be d cause of that. Tnx

37. fysti

May 31, 2013 at 10:23 am

@ Ebony-You probably did not mosturize after the treatment.When you do not mosturize after you clean out all the oil on your face, the result is that you dry out your skin and hence it needs to be hydrated otherwise it breaks out.

38. fysti

May 31, 2013 at 10:24 am

*moisturise*

39. me

August 31, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Wait o! Sheabutter is good, ii use shearbutter for my head n body! Pls can some one tell me how to rub sheabutter n not be sticky or smell? Please! Cos I hav it here n d fear of d smell n stickiness has nt allowed me use it o

40. Judy

January 13, 2014 at 11:17 am

My face us oily nd nt so smooth nd ve dark circles arund my face pls wat do I use,help a sister out.tanks

41. Emma

August 14, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Please ladies What do I do to my wrinkled legs and hands. Is Shea butter a fruit where can I find it and peppermint oil

42. ojima

August 24, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Hw often do I need to use these facials in a week? And which fruit / natural stuff can I use as a moisturiser?

43. love

December 25, 2014 at 11:53 pm

what abt Shea butter mixed with honey only. has anybody tried it?

44. lora

December 30, 2014 at 8:00 am

pls pls I have problem wi all dis chemical creams I mean body cream nd need a natural home made product on ma skin pls advice me on wat and wat 2use pls.

45. Oluwasheeyi

April 13, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Cna you give us the natural way to produce a TONER and how to make use of it?

46. angie

June 25, 2015 at 1:08 pm

What’s the best organic body n’k facial peel?

47. nobleson

June 26, 2015 at 3:53 pm

u guys r doing goid job buh yet no one is sharing on natural bathing soap atleat to compliment, fnks

• Pearl

October 1, 2015 at 11:39 pm

Contact me for your natural turmeric soap and other natural soaps. Thanks

48. Pearl

October 1, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Contact me for your turmeric power great for your skin. If you are in Abuja thanks. 08176774368

49. bhee

November 17, 2015 at 1:04 pm

*for my face i apply the mixture of baking soda,powdered milk and honey,,,,,check out the result yourself!
    *then i use the mixture of black soap,honey and lemon juice for my bathing soap
    *lastly i mix honey,shea butter and lemon juice to moisturize at night
    you’ll be glad you did

50. Adun

June 13, 2016 at 11:09 am

Should we bath with sponge n soap before or after apply d natural ingredient?

51. Binaebi

July 22, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Pls can someone help me out ….I have a good skin but I already to any thing I use especially ony back making it difficult for me to wear armless. If I use shea butter I react to it .pls help me

52. busayo

July 24, 2016 at 6:01 pm

Tanx for d info I’ll give it a try.

53. Toosweet

August 3, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Pls which market can one get organic skin care materials in Abuja

• TruCare

August 7, 2016 at 11:42 pm

What exactly do you need? I produce grade A shea butter. I can also hook you up with a couple of people who sell organic products.

• Lizzy

October 20, 2016 at 4:17 pm

How can we reach you?

54. faozy

September 14, 2016 at 6:41 pm

thnx for d info. pls where can i get organic product or shop in Lagos, Nigeria.

55. Esther

June 15, 2017 at 2:13 pm

I mixed shell butter, lime, carrot oil, turmeric together and the mixture float up if I cover it was is the cause