News

No Romance Without Education? Watch the Battabox Video – “Are Nigerians Education Snobs?”

There are some words and usage of some words that just scream “Nigerian”! “Graduate” is one of them. Think about it, “Are you a graduate?” is something you hear often around these parts.

Anyway, the Battabox guys head out to the street to find out if people can marry “a non graduate”?

Watch the interesting video and share your thoughts on the subject.

1. Godslove22

June 18, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Well lets face it different strokes for different people…….

• Jia

June 20, 2013 at 8:27 am

With our poor educational system I cannot tell the difference between university graduates and non graduates in Nigeria. I’ve seen many university graduates act like market men & women in professional settings.. Even some professors act like cavemen. Also, look at the way those fraudulent government officials behave. We are just snobbish for nothing. What matters is what the individual possesses(innately). Education cannot give you a functioning brain & talent- it is there to provide guidance during your career journey. Graduates are working for non graduates with great visions e.g. intelligent dropouts like Bill Gates, founder of blackberry, Mike Lazaridis, & facebook, Mark Zuckerberg

2. Nimi

June 18, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I haven’t watched the Video, but I can say that IMO yes, Nigerians are Education snobs. I can kind of understand why though. In Nigeria we see Education as the only ticket to a bright future. Whether that is true or not is another discussion. But I think in Nigeria that is still very much the case. After Secondary school the next step is University and judging from the way things are going in a couple of years, the next question will probably be, ‘Have you got a Post-graduate Degree’?

In the western world on the other hand, you can live a comfortable life and earn very good money without having a Degree. Some stop after their Secondary / High school Education and consider other options. No one is looked down on or discriminated against. One could go the Apprenticeship or Trainee route if you so desire. Not all well paying jobs require degrees. For those jobs which require degrees, then of course you must have one.

In Nigeria we see Education as a means of classing pple. We all do it. If we don’t apply it to our Oyinbo colleagues or friends, we certainly apply it to our fellow Naijas at home or abroad.

For example, my cousin’s friend who lives in the States was looking to settle down and was looking for a hook up. My cousin without asking me, decides to give him my number. This guy starts pestering me with phone calls trying to convince me that we are meant to be. Considering the time difference with him being in the US and me being in the UK, I did not enjoy the interruptions to my sleep at all. Despite the fact that we just did not click, this guy has no University degree and found himself in the US through the Football club he used to play for. He went from Naija to Italy and coupla years later went to the States to play a game and from there decided to get ‘lost’ in the system. He did not pursue his Education any further and has no intention to in the future. He went from working as a security guard to working with disabled kids and has no intention of moving from there. I have no problem at all with working with kids, but for me those are the kind of jobs we all did while trying to put ourselves through school. Bobo is comfortable where his is. He seems to think him being in the US will attract me. Dude, didn’t realise he was talking to the wrong babe for that one. Na US wey dey my backyard be my problem???? Well, me I want and need more. I have an MSc and I’m working towards getting my MBA in a few. So as you can see, this guy and I are on completely different wavelengths.

When I first meet a guy, one of the first questions I ask is ‘What do you do for a living’? The answer to that question can tell you a lot about the kind of person you’re dealing with. One way or another, we all do it. Obviously the Education route is not the only one. Some get Degrees and end up being successful in Areas that have absolutely nothing to do with what they studied. I don’t need d bobo’s money o, I get my own. What I do need though is a man with Ambition and drive. I get turned on by such qualities. I’m attracted to men I can learn from…

• Godslove22

June 18, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I Agree education should not be the main thing in a relationship but the TRUE love a couple has for each other

• Funmi

June 18, 2013 at 2:38 pm

You no watch the video tori long like this. If you now come watch nko, we go ask Bella to open a whole post for you. Na wa for some people o. Some post call for long comments, you know the intellectual brain challenging types. This one is definitely not one of them. Oya clap for yourself for your award of the longest comment ever

• jinkelele

June 18, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Nne i tire oh! lol

• Soraya

June 18, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Haba Nimi, you are funny o but I agree with you. I have a white guy who is chasing me at the moment but I do have a problem with the fact that he is not educated and consequently, his English is not great- I have told him- NO education, no marriage and no taking things further. He might be white but heck, I will apply the same criteria to all men!

3. Queen

June 18, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I definitely wouldn’t settle down with anyone with less than a Bachelor’s degree! That’s me. Like Nimi, I love to learn and living the rest of my life with a man who we could learn from each other is a very attractive proposition; I have to admit.

4. Sisi Eko

June 18, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I agree with u,,,Bella pls d video is nt showing but for me…education anytym…no matter how rich u r…u can do part tym sef.

5. Ada Nnewi

June 18, 2013 at 1:58 pm

On a totally unrelated note…Did you see the King’s College bus at 2.31 😀

• funmi

June 18, 2013 at 10:22 pm

yes the interview was in front of citymall

6. Funmi

June 18, 2013 at 2:00 pm

The question is, where will I even meet such a person. That is hte koko of the gist

7. Someone

June 18, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Funny how some are very quick to say NO but when the cash is there most of them saying NO will not care about certificate. Most people will choose a wealthy primary school certificate holder ahead of a poor Masters’ degree holder.

• jcsgrl

June 18, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Gbamest!

• jinkelele

June 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Nne i tire oh! lol

• tessy

June 18, 2013 at 8:38 pm

You are so right dear

8. pynk

June 18, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Many ‘EE-leetrates” are married in Nigeria. THere are also pple who have degrees and never attended classes, so who guages what?

9. slice

June 18, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Love needs communication and sometimes lack of education can stand in the way of that. I’ve attempted to date some guy whose english was so distracting, I just couldn’t focus on what he was saying…and he had money. Even if u go school or no go sch, abeg ask ur friends “how is my english?” If they say, em k leg dey, pls take a class or two and fix it. You’re selling urself short with bad grammar.

10. mexo

June 18, 2013 at 3:03 pm

This is so embarrassing! So called graduates cannot speak good English. The medium of communication, used in their ‘certificate acquisition’. The non graduate lady had more composure and good points. This just shows how ignorant we are that a piece of paper is more important than the content a person may be carrying. Shame on us!!!

• Dayo Sanni

June 18, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Thank you so much for this your comment. The so called graduates in Nigeria are a real disappointment!!! Most of them have really poor spoken & written skills in English . They can’t even convey their thoughts in good well spoken sentences,yet they call themselves graduates & look down at the so-called illiterates that speaks better than them & comport themselves way better. I’m utterly disappointed with the so-called graduates we are spewing out there,nowadays. We seriously need to overhaul our educational system. Telling me you are a graduate in Nigeria,does not impress me nowadays !

11. koko

June 18, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Nimi its ok.

12. Concerned_Boyfriend

June 18, 2013 at 5:57 pm

well said Mexo!… It’s appalling to see the product of our educational system… Expo can only get you so far!

13. Rukky

June 18, 2013 at 6:03 pm

The only certificate you need for marriage is love, respect, attention, understanding, happiness, zeal, determination…degree doesn’t determine dexterity, sometimes being street smart is more important than school smart and that’s something you are not taught in school. My own is are you making money? Yes! Then let’s have a family 🙂

• Noninie

June 18, 2013 at 6:39 pm

lol….”Are you making money, let us have a family!!!!”. Personally I cant get the fact that a man I am dating/will marry has no higher qualification apart from ssce out of my head. The Lawyer I am would like to show off incessantly. I am turned on by smart, intelligent and eloquent men. Its very difficult to see an ssce holder with these qualities.

• jcsgrl

June 18, 2013 at 7:31 pm

the lawyer I am? Is that what you’re showing incessantly? smh

• Rukky

June 18, 2013 at 7:58 pm

haahaa not yet Noninie. I am graduating from law school this year, by the grace of God but I’m sure as a lawyer the last thing you want to do is marry another lawyer right? Lol because we talk too much and work in a very stressful environment and besides you don’t want to come back home and talk about cases all day–well, that’s how I see it. Naturally, you’d want to learn something different and new from your spouse. Not having a degree doesn’t mean you don’t have a brain or no life experiences, it just means you don’t have a paper that says you spent 3-4 years minimum in an institution that taught you how to narrow your thinking and perspective to a particular subject and things related to that subject. So if you’re married to a business man who did not go to Uni, it doesn’t mean you guys can’t still have intelligent conversations and relate on an intellectually stimulating level. I also love smart guys (gosh, blushes at the thought of it) but as humans we can’t have an infinite amount of knowledge. You know some things that I don’t and vice versa. But that’s my opinion, knowing my mother she would probably give me one wicked eyeing if she was to read this LOL

• Rukky

June 18, 2013 at 8:40 pm

O! scratch out the not yet part dear lol, thought you were referring to me LoL and habaaa I dey mad? I no fit ask anyone that o, was just saying that’s my criteria. Okay, Bye 😉

14. Rukky

June 18, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Some billionaire dropouts: Oprah, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, David Murdock…a lot of the successful people out there are not even using their degrees–Jenifa (Funke Akindele) that we all know and love studied law and so did nightingale omawumi. I’m not saying getting a degree is unimportant but I believe there are other individual character traits that are more important than whether or not someone has a degree. And not having a degree is not something that should cause shame, especially when you’re successful at whatever you do and you pay the guys with the degrees to work for you. And that solves the 3 main subliminal issues here: the guys want to upgrade the girls because they don’t want to feel ashamed of their spouse in public and this is the same case with the girls except that women also want security, a provider. I don’t care about whether you have a degree or not, I’m more interested in your life goals and what you’re doing currently.

15. iba

June 18, 2013 at 7:20 pm

for me d least has to be a graduate as an individual living and working in Nigeria. i know this sounds dumb abit but thats the NIGERIAN reality

if i grew up abroad where so much emphasis is not placed on education, then i wont mind.

• Ready

June 19, 2013 at 12:37 pm

The US that me I know oooo, education is important. Of course trade and skill-based jobs provide lots of opportunities to make money, and more women appreciate blue collar workers…likely because they have greater chances of upward mobility despite the lack of a college degree, but please let the exceptions not be treated as the rule. College-educated men are in high demand.
      I would marry a non-uni graduate if he was an avid reader and believes in constant improvement in all areas. Of course, not having the certificate would proclude him from fancy white-collar jobs, so he has to be a successful entrepreneur.And Oprah went to Tennessee State University, left short of 1 credit in 1975, and went back to complete it in 1987 because when asked to give the commencement speech, she felt unworthy because she hadn’t graduated yet.

16. Joan

June 18, 2013 at 7:34 pm

One graduate tried to talk to me but mehn, the graduate status did not reach his grammar. I couldn’t get past it smh…needless to say we never even went on a first date.
    I know that it is not the certificate that one is married to. But the ability to communicate on a certain level is priceless in any relationship 🙂

17. I Rock

June 18, 2013 at 7:50 pm

While in college, I tried dating a guy without a college degree and it didn’t work out. I ended up marrying a guy who has his MBA and is looking to get his second Masters soon God willing. My point is, I prefer a guy with at least a Bachelor’s degree. Communication with the guy who didn’t go to college was problematic. It wasn’t just the communication, there were things he just didn’t get and I realized during that relationship that college education makes a whole lot of difference. My ex was insecure about a lot of stuff especially about people who were educated. Am not saying that lack of college education makes people bad communicators but I do know that a sound college education adds a measure of “mmhp” to people. If a guy has at least a bachelor’s degree and is ambitious and driven at the same time, that’s a big turn on for me right thurr.

I know that some did not attend college due to circumstances beyond their control which is very sad and I also know that some did not go to college because they preferred going to technical school and taking the technical route which is all good. A great human being is a great human being.

On another note, it’s funny how Nigerians equate being educated with how well one speaks English. I know Professionals that you can barely understand their English or who can’t speak English as good as some would want them to yet they are shining in their fields.

18. nnn

June 18, 2013 at 10:21 pm

No Romance Without Education. lol serious battabox video. lemme watch

19. stacie

June 18, 2013 at 10:23 pm

this presenter must be high on some cheap drugs

20. Yelz

June 18, 2013 at 10:57 pm

buaahhhahahahaha presenter of life. she’s a comedian.

21. motee

June 18, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Lmaoooo, even the so called graduates cannot speak correct English, starting with the presenter, whats with the H factor. trying too hard looool

22. omoibo

June 19, 2013 at 12:50 am

Marrying a grad is not the end all! There is not a right or wrong answer to the question, it really depends on the individuals and what they seek. That being said, having the same values, goals,aspirations & respect are more important than a degree! Like one of the guys in the video pointed out, you are not marrying the degree. A degree does NOT guarantee that a person can carry on an intelligent/ intellectual conversation either or treat you with the respect you deserve and be able to provide adequately for the family.

23. Seen ALL

June 19, 2013 at 9:25 am

I learnt that 7. 73 of the richest people in the world were high school and college dropouts.personally i dont really care about the GRAD if he can express himself in English no wahala!

24. mow

June 19, 2013 at 9:59 am

wow.. that guy that said he graduated seven years ago, did he just say” i can’t marry a ungraduate”? na wa !!!

• Janey

June 19, 2013 at 12:44 pm

he graduated a long time ago so he needs to go back to school i guess to refresh his brain…lmao

25. olu

June 19, 2013 at 11:46 am

OKAY WE DON HEAR ALL OF UNAH COMMENT…

26. Janey

June 19, 2013 at 1:04 pm

is he God fearing,caring,understanding,loving,humble,hardworking?
    who cares if he has all the degrees in the world,throws the strongest vocabularies left,right and center but lacks those qualities?
    as for me sha,those qualities come first.

• Tunji

June 20, 2013 at 12:57 am

I go with you here Janey…besides I have met some drop outs that I consider smarter than some certificate owners. Formal Education wont make u smart!

27. BabyDee

June 19, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Mchewwww…..most of the so called grads being interviewed can’t even speak coherently!

-BabyDee

28. BabyDee

June 19, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Honestly speaking, if you cannot speak or write proper English after 6 years in secondary school I doubt if that will change after 4 years in University because your core classes no longer includes English Language or English Literature (unless your major is English), unlike secondary school where you take these classes every term for 6 years straight.
    -BabyDee

29. beanie

June 19, 2013 at 2:38 pm

i believe many of us have run off with the wrong notion here. it is not just about the academic degree; it also includes the educated mind. the truth is we have drawn a direct relationship between academic degree and educated mind. honestly, the relationship is viable considering the fact that we acquire quite a large amount of knowledge from reading which most of us do only while in school. in reference to the billionaires who dropped out and still became successful, that proportion is so negligible compared to the number of people that actually dropped out.
    the onus of the gist, if education wont harm and can only get you developed, why not? i dnt know how much good the lack of it does.
    as par marriage and relationship, “do not be unequally yoked…”

30. ao

June 19, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Generally speaking, it is best to marry someone that is as similar; especially if you are a woman. It makes marriage easier. A couple should be equally yoked on as many fronts as possible. Once upon a time, I was engaged to marry someone that had less than a high school diploma. This person was also from another culture, which was also a problem because his culture did not value education as my culture does. At that time, I had already completed my bachelors degree and was completing my first graduate degree. Over time, it became quite apparent that the difference in education was a HUGE problem and spilled into other areas of our relationship and aggravated other differences that we had. Additionally, I realized that he resented me, did not share the same vision as me, and could not integrate into my world. I eventually ended things with him and regained my sanity. The relationship taught me that I could never marry someone that did not have education beyond high school; especially where the person lacked vision and ambition. Also, as an Igbo/Nigerian person, I also realized that I come from a culture where advanced education is a norm and expected.

31. GrownWOman!

June 19, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Loooool @jcsgrl’s lawyer I am comment!!!!!!!!!!!K n Rukky u make mad sense! This question is a very good one tho….n sincerely speaking, when TRUE love knocks at ur door, logic most tyms is thrown out the window. We r talking marriage here, one would have to reflect on what’s most important to em n what takes número uno on their priority list i.e would u prefer sum Harvard phd holder known worldwide for his achievements n whatnot with a God complex whose love is more or less superficial n doesn’t make u as happy as u deserve to be? Or ud rather settle for an ambitious dude who loves the heck out of u making ur happiness his priority but gives u just what u need and not all u necessarily want? At the end of the day, certificate, degree or whatever never guarantees happiness or fulfillment in life (unless all u want from life is recognition frm strangers n of course d money that comes with ur degree holder husband) even at that…some finish first class degree holders n yet don’t have much to show for it….remember, first in class is not always first in life! Before we answer this question, there r lots to consider….what r u ready to compromise on for the sake of marriage? What do u want out of ur marriage,short run n long run? Clearly no one wants a man with no ambition,zeal or drive to marry but keep in mind that one doesn’t have to stop learning after uni. Ones level of exposure is not sized by just how many years or As gotten in uni as a graduate…wanting someone with ambition or ur level of understanding is not always synonymous to university or degree. If we r comparing marrying a village guy who has sold only bread all his life till he met u on ur vacation to the village to a graduate, the gap is wiiiiiiiddddddeeeee but hey, let’s not give up on humans..depending on how determined n patient u r, u can make tins happen oooo..u neffa know. God works in mysterious ways and true love is deeeeeeeeeep! In short, it’s not an easy question that can be answered yes or no..I think being in the situation puts us in a better place to decide. Baba God na him know pass..u never know what or who he has put in this world for us(unless u haff olredi marry). Tanks…*continueslickingmyagbalumo*

32. Cindy

June 20, 2013 at 2:56 am

I totally agree with everything you said Nimi. Its the situation of our educational system here which isn’t the same overseas that makes it seem that way and marrying someone i can learn from is important.
    I also personally believe Love is not everything or as the battabox presenter put it; Love doesn’t “supersede all” to me. Other things are very important as well.
    The only exception is if the individual or in my case the guy is intelligent, witty, smarter than i am, has developed himself or is in the process, he needs to have drive, ambition and focus.

33. litracy

June 20, 2013 at 8:45 am

Education is not about degree. Some graduate have degree but are not educated. As for me it is better to marry the educated rather a degree holder.

34. dezzy

June 20, 2013 at 9:19 am

she killed me when she said ” As a lady you have to think well ” sarcasm… he should have some degree of education and can read and write…in the words of beyonce. ” schooling life..”

35. birdieblue

June 21, 2013 at 12:21 am

Speaking of Beyonce most of these popular millionaires no finish or enter school oh!!