Music

Veteran Nigerian Musician OJB Jezreel Speaks on His Depreciating Health & Proposed Kidney Transplant

Onos

OJB Jezreel

Over the past few days, #SaveOJBJezreel has become a trending topic on Twitter as different Nigerian musicians opened up about the veteran Nigerian musician ‘s renal failure.

OJB Jezreel is a very talented singer, songwriter and producer and has been directly involved in the success of some of our biggest Nigerian musicians today, the likes of Wizkid & 2Face Idibia, to name a few.

On the radio and on social media, fans, family and friends have shown support as they have helped with raising awareness of his ailment and solicited donations to special account numbers dedicated to accruing funds for a 16 million Naira kidney transplant operation.

Recently, some entertainers made a visit to his home, amongst them were DJ Jimmy Jatt, Jaywon, Vector and Yemi Alade. And, in a statement to theead of the ‘SaveOJBJezreel’ committee, Nomoreloss said

‘…gradually a few people have been responding to the call for donations and we are grateful for those that have even found time to at least visit despite their busy schedules…’

Also, on Monday 24th June, 2013, OJB spoke to Encomium magazine about his condition. Here’s an excerpt from the interview:

“When early diagnosis was done, it was just a case of renal failure. Right now, my two kidneys are gone. We are running dialysis at the moment. It started two years ago, but gradually depreciated.

“Most people tend to attribute kidney problem to drinking and smoking. I was told it doesn’t have anything to do with that, because as much as I drink and smoke then, it was casual drinking. Maybe they offer you a bottle of drink and all that but not like I drink 15 bottles a day. I have a friend who has gone through this and he never drank or smoked.

“The whole process of the treatment from pre-process, transplanting process and post-transplanting will cost about $100, 000. In two years, I have spent up to five million Naira which I have been trying to maintain myself. That is why it has been kept secret.

“God willing, I have like eight to ten weeks more to get the transplant done. It’s strange, I still walk around a little. I can’t eat much though. I trust God and Nigerians for their financial support”

Later on, he also spoke to several news, entertainment and lifestyle stations about his present predicament. Here’s OJB‘s most recent interview with Hip TV.

Check on it!

Please keep OJB in your thoughts and prayers and hopefully aid his recovery in any way you can. Get well soon OJB!

Photo Credit: TheNetNG

"What do you really do for a living any way?", "Your face looks familiar. Was it on TV?" These questions follow me around everyday. Why don't you join them.Instagram | Twitter: @Onos_

1. aleesha

June 26, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Get well soon OJB!

2. Bimpe

June 26, 2013 at 4:12 pm

This is sad, and I pray he is able to raise the money as soon as possible.

However I detest the way people (on social media) are insulting celebrities for not donating. Please remember the following

– These pleas for help have been on the increase. If every celebrity donated to every plea, how much would they have left?
    – Celebrities may have set a budget for charitable donations and might have reached that budget already by supporting various causes.
    – You are not in these celebrities pockets. You don’t know how much they make, what their responsibilities are. Perception is not always the reality.

Instead of pouring anger on folks for not donating, the anger should be on our failed govt that cannot provide adequate care for its citizens.

Please not

• Lovlyn

June 26, 2013 at 6:21 pm

True, we are not in their pockets, and giving is definitely not by force…it’s really between a person and God. However, with the way Naija celebrities looove to brag about how they ACQUIRED this, and ACQUIRED that, it’s easy to wonder, “why can’t they give a teeny weeny (i.e. very small) fraction of this wealth they seem so eager to announce to us.” Trust me, if just a few of them (who also probably would claim to be his friends, by the way) that have ACQUIRED-wealth?- would give a little, not only will they easily surpass the amount he is seeking, but it won’t even make a dent in their pockets. Plus, they will be more than able to keep up their ACQUIRING.

• Idak

June 26, 2013 at 7:04 pm

You really don’t blame those insulting the celebs (as much as i detest insults), these same celebs give us a run down of how every item in their wardrobe cost and inundate us with their over priced enjoyments and endorsements.
      I will make a donation to this cause tomorrow’ via the UBA account detailed elsewhere and by God’s grace with or without these Instagram celebrities,OJB will survive. I remember his daughter having a heart ailment years back. May the Son visit he and his family with healing in its wings.

• Kiz

June 27, 2013 at 1:11 am

Spot on…just like Rukky Sanda just updated us with her Gucci,CL,Chanel purchase on instagram…I am not in their pockets oh, but a lil donation won’t hurt their pockets if they can afford all they brag about on Social media.

• SS

June 27, 2013 at 8:43 am

well said

• Jide

June 27, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Your comment is apt! Evidence that some of us still stop and think

3. AZIBA BLESSING OMOH

June 26, 2013 at 4:19 pm

THANKS TO THOSE WHO HAVE DONATED TO OJB… OJB PLS MEET FOOTBALLERS THEY WILL HELP…

4. na j

June 26, 2013 at 4:24 pm

THANK YOU BELLA NAIJA FOR THIS O,VE BEING PRAYING FOR ME THOU I VE NO MONEY.MAU GOD HELP AND HEAL HIM IJN AMEN

5. na j

June 26, 2013 at 4:25 pm

PRAYING FOR HIM I MEAN

6. bolivia

June 26, 2013 at 4:25 pm

all those buying hermes bag and loub shoes and wearing 25k dollars suits should start the contribution.

7. loveth .O

June 26, 2013 at 4:31 pm

God will intervene for u AMEN

8. Chyke

June 26, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Eiyaaaaa…sorry Uncle OJB. We won’t loose you. But why didn’t u start planning about d transplant at dat early stage? Also who’s donating d kidney? Am so scared. I thank goodness d fund raising is going well. Moreso, dis shld be a lesson to my swaggalicious Davido, D’banj, Banky W, Wizkid, Olamide and d likes, pls learn to save for rainy days. Yeah buy cars n all but make sure u have something to fall on in a situation dat might look like dis. Am not wishing u guys evil, I pray 4 u guys to be fine but no1 knows 2moro. OJB will be fine. Less I 4get, I hope 2face has donated some money.

9. bunmi

June 26, 2013 at 4:34 pm

God pls heal and send help to ojb….all des musicians av money o, i wonder why dey av nt raised d money…pls donate money and save a life,xpensive houses,cars,clothes are all vanity n we wont take dem to heaven…pls save a life.

• Italian Princess

June 26, 2013 at 4:59 pm

They’re waiting for you. Nothing says you shouldn’t lead the pack. Abi? Is there a law somewhere that you in your not “xpensive house, cars, clothes” can’t give?

Hm? Get over your self righteous sef and donate if you’re so moved to do so.

10. God is in control

June 26, 2013 at 4:34 pm

God bless him…pls help if you can.

11. temmie

June 26, 2013 at 5:06 pm

i believe OJB will be fine, i’m so in love with vector

12. Andrew

June 26, 2013 at 5:12 pm

He should cut off that DREAD Locks and repackage himself so that concerned people can donate money.Image is everything….
    That dreadlock is discouraging me.

• meme

June 26, 2013 at 5:51 pm

You are a *** What has his hair got to do with this? The guy is sick and your talking about “repackage”! If u like don’t donate mumu, your not God!

• hot mama

June 26, 2013 at 6:47 pm

So he should die because of his locks baa…I wonder what his hair has got to do with his illness… that’s just an ignorant thing to say Mr oga…do u think God looks at ur black heart before making his decision to bless you, yet here you are chatting bull!!

• Idak

June 26, 2013 at 6:54 pm

your case get as e be.
      For your information,it is locks not dreadlocks. There is nothing dreadful about locks. If you no get to give in order to save a life,just say so.

• Kiz

June 27, 2013 at 1:13 am

Really tho? Dreadlocks?? U r one confused fellow!

13. fola

June 26, 2013 at 5:40 pm

there is nothing impossible 4 God.pls ur salvation is paramount ,GOD will heal u ijn.

14. nene

June 26, 2013 at 6:13 pm

sad story. but what exactly causes kidney problems? God help us all in this world.

• Idak

June 27, 2013 at 6:46 am

Hopefully BN house doctor will educate us all on this topic soon.

• Busola

June 27, 2013 at 12:55 pm

A host of things can.. high blood pressure, hypertension, heart failure, diabetes, smoking and alcohol and even some prescribed medications.

15. temi

June 26, 2013 at 6:33 pm

BELLA NAIJA PLEASE TRY AND HELP THIS GUY ABEG,U ARE WORTH MORE THAN 15MILLION ABEG.ATLEAST GIVE BACK .WISH I WAS WORKING.LOOKING FOR ONE THOU

16. temi

June 26, 2013 at 6:56 pm

@ MR Andrew if u ve feelings u will not think of any dread ok.just do ur best nd let God bless u.wonder what bella naija has for this guy

17. maureen

June 26, 2013 at 7:47 pm

It is written that we shall die,but we shall live and witteness the work of the lord in the land of the living so I prophesied on ur life right now where ever u re from the east,west,NOrth and sourth cos distant is not a barrier Receive ur healing in Jesus name for I have no silver nor gold u will give a testimony only if u have the faith an dur faith will hear in jesus name Amen

18. hollabeesie

June 26, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Pls bellanaija can you help with the acc no I can pay my lil donation to.I luv ojb and I hate to see him in this predicament,its vry little bt I will be glad to know I could help.and plssss am appealing to 2face,kenny ogungbe and dayo adeneye of kennis music to pls assist ojb with wateva amount they can as nothing is too small.will also kip you in my prayers ojb.

19. Someone

June 26, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Please Bellanaija can you set up a paypal account so that people outside Nigeria can also give. Waiting for these celebrities is a waste of time. If 200 people give $20 each, it will help.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

June 27, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Word. BN, if you can, please provide or point us towards a reputable medium for donating from outwith Nigeria…

20. EfKay

June 26, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Bella, please could you let the team know they need more than one account. I live in the UK. Is there an account here I can donate something small to?

21. orji may

June 27, 2013 at 12:25 am

Dear OJB by the stripes of our lord Jesus christ u r healed….Amen

22. Kiz

June 27, 2013 at 1:16 am

But enough of the name calling tho, Well meaning Nigerians,lets contribute Abeg…May God bless us all.

23. akintayo753

June 27, 2013 at 4:44 am

Andrew, if you cant be of help, why not shut your dirty trap.

24. COOL

June 27, 2013 at 8:22 am

Oya, Nigerian Celebrities Abeg help one of your own. He is soooo talented. If 15 of the celebrities we have in Nigeria including comedians, actors, actresses, artistes, musicians contribute 1million naira per person, HE WILL LIVE! Please dont let him die, Abeg

25. preshhy

June 27, 2013 at 8:49 am

Tu face, has donated 1.5m n Don jazzy1m, i jst pray d rest wil add sumtin too, OJB God wil surely c u tru n dose dts donate 4 u dia pockets wil neva go dry.

26. Babatunde

June 27, 2013 at 8:56 am

Can help u ojb.pls contact 08176003024,i want to my own to god

27. funmi

June 27, 2013 at 10:59 am

The GOD I serve is d greatest physician ever therefore, I decree to every part of ur body especially dose kidneys to receive life from above IJN, AMEN… OJB,Rejoice for its settled

28. McAustin

June 27, 2013 at 11:04 am

Oh my gosh,OJB na my sure real man o,and He must live at all cost,pls i need two notable n healthy nigerians to donate an healthy kidney per head….so dat its gona minimize d cost…..if u really luv OJB,dis is not too much o

29. Nedu

June 27, 2013 at 11:56 am

Who ever have shld give since it’s all about saving life. Don’t ask if our celeb are equal to the task or not. It pays to be good ßros & $is.

30. GMH

June 27, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Very touching excerpt. I pray God watches over him and brings him healing.

31. Chiommy

June 27, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Why can’t they have a concert and all proceeds would go him. Get well soon ojb

32. Suzanne Akuve

June 27, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Ermm…. The other week, wizkid’s crashed his car, this week, he got a new 1 worth 14m. Davido went shopping in dubai, bought a chain’ 4 12m USD. Don jazzy bought a suit just last week worth 25m and that was after he bought a wine, a wine oh, worth [how much did dey say its worth sef?] *scratching my head*, whatever d amount sef. Now dey r orgarnising a concert! Who will go? Me? Just saying! May God save OJB and us all.

33. Simon

June 28, 2013 at 8:57 am

Its quite selfish how people you have worked with and have capable hands in the music Industry cant come together and make history raising these funds among themselves. They rather prefer fancy weddings, cars and lavishing lifestyle. Thanks to the people who have donated already, I believe the Industry and Individuals whom you have worked with can do more considering the amount of funds generated by the Nigerian Entertainment Industry, Its sickening and heartless to see people fold their hands saying he will get well without making a great Influence. We only live once and anyone who is in the position to bring OJB back to life again should put himself in OJB’s position and think of what a beautiful world filled with selfish people. Everyone has his own problem and its no one else’s responsibility to look after the other but make a chance for whom you can with what you have and see how abundant you will receive back.

34. pamilerin

June 28, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Yeah i think there should be a health column on BN ,ranging from issues on OBY/GYN;Cardio,General Med etc enlightening people about those things we dont take too seriously.

35. Aremu Abiola Abiodun AKA Beckham

June 29, 2013 at 12:15 am

All i can contribute is prayer for the good man…OJB JEZREEL….I pray u are healed in Jesus Name…..I feel for u and i know u will surely live again to do more good work in the industry….Amen..

36. Pietro Antonio

June 29, 2013 at 5:46 am

I am not rich but willing to donate one of my kidney, if we have same blood group genotype [email protected]

37. olivermosh

July 1, 2013 at 2:41 pm

S can we get d acct,so we can contribute our quota to it…wishin u splendid recovery OJB

38. Aderonke

July 3, 2013 at 11:38 am

OJB the Lord send u his healing hands.

39. Tony

July 6, 2013 at 6:51 am

Hi ojb.gud days in ur life.u wil in a moment frm 2day get healed.in jesus name.amen.i pray wt u dat God wil make Basket Mouth,and oda popular nigeria musicians 2com 2d state of ur health.like i first said.u must get healed.feel free and b couragious my guy