News

#ChildNotBride – Protecting Our Young Girls from Incessant Abuse! Watch Stephanie Linus & Liz Benson in the Teaser of “DRY”

Stephanie Linus

Nollywood is speaking up against Section 29, subsection 4b.

In the wake of the recent decision by the senate, movie star Stephanie Linus has released a teaser for her long anticipated movie DRY.

Liz Benson

Liz Benson & Stephanie Linus

On her blog, she said “At this critical juncture, I am now compelled to release the unofficial (raw footage) videos of my upcoming movie, “DRY”to galvanize support from Nigerians and the International community for the revocation of the Senate resolution. Nigerians! It’s time to lend your voices and share your thoughts. We need to protect the girl child from incessant abuse. “

DRY

The movie which stars Stephanie Linus and Liz Benson, is centered around Zara and Halima who find themselves in the same cultural trap full of ignorance and cruelty. Regardless of their background, they each struggle to survive and make some meaning out of their lives.

Watch the trailer!

On Sunday, Stephanie also posted her thoughts on the underage child marriage on her blog – StephanieDaily.com. Read the post;

When this email/petition was sent to me, I knew I had to endorse and share it.

Since I saw the email I cannot remain mute about the current bill passed, the vote on the constitution amendment bill which caused an uproar in the senate this past Tuesday.

“The contentious provision, Section 29, allows citizens who are of age to renounce Nigerian citizenship if they wish. For that purpose, the constitution says, 18-year-olds and above shall be considered to be “of age”.

In addition, a woman or girl who is married, shall also be considered to be of age- a section that could be interpreted to imply that even a day old child, once married, shall be considered to be of age.

The tricky part is:

“That this section, when referenced in the larger picture will make a pedophile, who marries even an 8 year old (as I have seen in Nigeria) “not liable because his “CHILD Wife” is automatically considered an adult. The likes of him will immediately point you to section 29, subsection 4b that says – “any woman who is married shall be “deemed to be of “full age.””

The child that got married did not chose to do so on her own will, she was forced into marriage and should not be deemed an adult as a result..

We need to protect the girl child from incessant abuse.

1. Mama Mia!

July 22, 2013 at 10:09 am

If we want an Oscar at some point, These are the sort of movies we should be making. Well done Steph!

• nate

July 22, 2013 at 10:58 am

well said….quality quality and makes lots of sense

• Nollywood REinvented

July 22, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Yup! Less redundant storylines. It’s time for our movies to start addressing real issues.

nollywoodreinvented.com/2013/07/coming-soon-dry.html

• Beauvais

July 31, 2013 at 6:29 am

Perfect.

2. memiee

July 22, 2013 at 10:19 am

wow! i already get the vibe to this whole child abuse.

No to child abuse!!!

3. Angry grandpa

July 22, 2013 at 10:22 am

Well done indeed, seems really good, I can’t wait to see it!!! X

4. Tiki

July 22, 2013 at 10:30 am

Finally, a blog that spells out what the uproar is about, instead of just repeating the frenzy surrounding it. Thank you BN for entertaining AND educating at the same time!

• jinkelele

July 22, 2013 at 2:08 pm

my thots exactly, now its clearer

• Iris

July 22, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Yep! People have been screaming up and down about a bill being passed to make underage marriage legal and that’s not the full story at all. Bella Naija was one of the few websites to properly explain the story when it first came out. If we’re going to oppose this we need to understand exactly what we’re fighting against or we just look stupid for not knowing the facts.

5. Temizzy

July 22, 2013 at 10:58 am

Thank you Mrs. Linus for shinning a positive light on this. God bless you.

6. Marlyne

July 22, 2013 at 11:01 am

i could not go to the points where the signing was carried out, but i signed online, have you signed yours? Legislators going bunkers, turning the girl child into cheap articles, rather them giving them education, good health, and the basic needs in life, they are handing them vvf, death and illiteracy. Stephanie, Weldon, and to all those who stood against this, Jumbo, Henshaw, Damascus…etc THANK YOU

7. Marlyne

July 22, 2013 at 11:05 am

I just watched the trailer, jeez, i cried.

8. Chisom Samantha

July 22, 2013 at 11:06 am

Well done steph.

9. Ewurafua

July 22, 2013 at 11:07 am

Great message behind this movie!

Ps. To the writer of this post, Stephanie’s surname is Idahosa, or (Okereke- Idahosa) not Linus. Linus is her hubby’s first name. You calling her Stephanie Linus is like me calling the owner of this blog, Uche Bode.

• BellaNaija.com

July 22, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Her name is actually Stephanie Linus. She confirmed this to BN. Thanks for your comment though 🙂

• Pita

August 5, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Great one Sis.

10. JADE

July 22, 2013 at 11:11 am

This trailer brought tears to my eyes especially the part where she said “i want to be a girl again” Nigeria really has a long way to go oh, see what ignorance, poverty, extremism and wickedness is causing our young girls up in the North? May God help us all

11. Moi

July 22, 2013 at 11:11 am

Wow. I am speechless.
    Stephanie and Liz… fabulous!!

On Fistula though, what can we do? How do you address something that is so politically wrapped in the cloak of religion? I am not against the obvious prices of rebellion, but will it work? Will it address the conditioning of the minds of those practicing this babaric acts? I believe it is more than worth every resource expended, but… *sigh* Maybe this Manday isn’t exactly a ‘positivity’ day for me… But we need to do something about this. I signed the petition though, but I just couldn’t get pass this feeling of helplessness. Girls are dying everyday and all we can do is sign sheets of paper that may never be seen or become tools of further propaganda and/or political anihillation?!?!?!?! Nigeria, we hail thee.

12. Chyke

July 22, 2013 at 11:34 am

Seems good. Storyline is mature….quality is ok for her budget…and Liz Benson is still the acting queen. Weldone Steph.

13. Spring

July 22, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I concor Moi, weldone Steph

14. cynthya

July 22, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Moi: – Start by signing a sheet of paper my dear, ‘the sound of thunder starts with almost silent rumblings’. For me i see such acts as a convergence of minds gearing toward a goal… Dont give up hope, we shall get there. When will the movie be released , how can we get it far and across the nation. What we need is to seriously disseminate this movie when it comes out, as an educative channel to create awareness, …for why will sane human beings resist development if given the chance? Lets try !!!

15. Spring

July 22, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I concor Moi, weldone Steph,alots need to be done

16. slim

July 22, 2013 at 1:14 pm

And I could not help but cry 🙁

• Idak

July 22, 2013 at 2:30 pm

after crying nko?

17. nnennia

July 22, 2013 at 1:16 pm

wrote on female child abuse and VVF in my undergraduate project and it was so sad how underaged girls go through this pain all in the name of religion and poverty.Their so called husbands dump them when they have the illness and marry new brides.We all have to stand up and fight aganist this,dnt say its not your business cos the future of nigeria lies in our hands

18. www.myHairmyBeautyNigeria.com

July 22, 2013 at 1:22 pm

This is amazing, well done Stephanie!! Lets continue to shed a light on this issue

19. Dami

July 22, 2013 at 1:35 pm

now this is a Nigerian movie am ready to spend money on, keep on d good work Steph, the Lord is ur strength

20. chizzweightlossdiary

July 22, 2013 at 1:35 pm

This movie will definitely be an eye opener to everyone. Gerat job Stephanie. It couldn’t have come at a better time.

21. say what?

July 22, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I LOVE LOVE STEPHANIE!!…great work

22. rebellious child

July 22, 2013 at 2:28 pm

great job steph, these are the kind of movies that nigeria should make, the movies that speaks on real issues, not only associated to nigeria, but to the world.the girl child is the most dehumanized and maltreated in the world and its time to change that. Thank you steph for lending a voice even before the public now started talking you made this movie. very proud of you. may you continue to excel to greater heights.

23. Idak

July 22, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Well done to Steph and everyone involved in this project.
    I just hope our short sighted celebs will be less myopic when they go around collecting egunje to endorse clowns during election period. They need to impact there sphere of influence at the top better. It makes no sense coming online to harrass the public to support what is good and when you wine and dine with these barbarians pretending to be leaders, your voices go low.
    Once again,well done Steph and you are assured of my ticket fee via Silverbird or Genesis.

24. Justsaying

July 22, 2013 at 2:48 pm

This is the type of movies Nigerian producers needs to start making. Relevent, High Quality, Impactful. Huge thumbs up to Stephanie. I’m so proud.

25. Nina

July 22, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Wooow! i love Stephanie alrdy teary

26. Hurperyermie

July 22, 2013 at 2:57 pm

wow!!!!!!!!! tanks Mrs. Linus

27. Let it flow...

July 22, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Tears are flowing… And this is just a Teaser…OMG!

28. teargas

July 22, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Give the girl child pens and not a penis, a school sac/bag and not a male scrotum! Lend your voice.

29. Funke

July 22, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I am writing this with tears in my eyes, it is so wrong for ANYONE to go through this due to no fault of theirs, they were just unfortunate to be born where there is so much ignorance cloaked with wrong interpretation of religion. I am a muslim in the southwest and I have never been to the north and I have heard about VVF but did not know it was so bad to the extent of been ostracised for the cruelty done to them. I feel so ashamed that I have not done more about this. Although the debate in the senate last week was not about child/baby marriage but am happy it has thrown up the discussion about it and I pray and hope that someone in the house of assembly will have the courage to raise a bill on it. No doubt, there will be lots of resistance but the person should be well prepared with facts. Yes prophet Muhammad (saw) married a 9 year old girl but that was over 1,400 years ago, that was the custom and tradition of the arabs then, with advances in medicine and education and all, we now know that it is wrong, reason why countries with constitution inspired by the sharia now have legislation against it, Saudi arabia, UAE, Morocco, Egypt and even Afghanistan with all their challenges have laws that make it illegal to married off a child. I read Yerima’s reply to his critics, he said that they do it to help the baby’s family, so he cant help people without sleeping with their baby? Why has he not married off his baby girls to poor families to help them? Is he saying that there is a law for rich muslims and one for poor ones? Why is it that only poor muslims marry off their babies? he also said that they do it so stop the girls from becoming promiscuous, that they have sex even in primary schools which I doubt is true, but even if it is, shame on him for keeping quiet about it, he is a senator and he knows that girls childhood (and lives) is being stolen from them and he has done nothing about him. I want him to know that actions shall be judged according to intention and his intention is clear from the reasons he stated. I really wish and hope more will be done to stop this, no one deserves this and shame on the northern leaders on what they have turned their states too, no wonder boko haram wants no western education, it enlightens and they dont want that. Yerima and those advocating for it are doing same, stopping girls from going to school by marrying them off early!

• Funke

July 22, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Sorry for the epistle and for all the typos, just realised it contains quite a few

• Muslima

July 22, 2013 at 3:43 pm

“I want him to know that actions shall be judged according to intention”- This is the truth!

30. Bleed blue

July 22, 2013 at 3:38 pm

“Halima you are too young to understand these things, you are too young and this is the right time”

But she’s not too young to be married off. THE IRONY 🙁

• Cat on a hot tin roof

July 22, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Uhmmm

31. Obalakin kogberegbe

July 22, 2013 at 3:56 pm

This is a job well done! I need this movie to be in theatre, am sponsoring 50 interested viewers including all the Nigerian senators and Mr. president himself. My number is 08054515172. Oops am out of the country holla me on my email.

32. Clo

July 22, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Very professional movie up top there, the best Nigerian movie (thrailer) thus far, they got to the point, clearly understood, and head on topic though heart rendering. Things like these still happen in this world and 21st century? 🙁

33. Chick on fire

July 22, 2013 at 4:41 pm

This is a wonderful trailer. I will definately watch this is the cinema! God bless you stephanie and God Bless you Omotola my Queen for starting this trend! Now I hear Abike Dabiri the wonderful lawmaker, stella Damascus and now stephanie are speaking up. These are the true women. Welldone you guys.

• ILoveGenevieve

July 23, 2013 at 12:53 am

Two thumbs Stephanie. This is precious.

34. STELLA 'DANIELLA' OTUORE

July 22, 2013 at 4:55 pm

GOD BLESS YOU STEPH. THESE ARE THE KIND OF MOVIES THAT WE NEED TO CORRECT THE ILLS IN NIGERIA NOT NUDITY.

35. Eve

July 22, 2013 at 5:05 pm

No to child slavery!

36. Tamara tombra

July 22, 2013 at 6:16 pm

New York film acaedemy paid off Stephanie !! Awesome trailer !!! Amazing message where do we go to sign the petition ?

37. TK

July 22, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I think this movie should be given the necessary support so they can successfully release it. I fear the child marriage advocates may want to sabotage so it does not get to everyone. We must ensure that people see this in order to educate them on the ills of the bill. Well done Stephanie Linus

38. Obi

July 22, 2013 at 8:05 pm

A thief will always have a reason to rob people of their possessions. The question is: how do we stop the thief? By asking him why? Or by refusing him entry into our homes? Poverty is not a curse. Ignorance is. Until these people see that marrying off their babies to perverts and thieves for financial gain will only lead them to more poverty and dependence on a criminal for sustenance … their future will remain bleak and poverty stricken. WHY? They have chosen to sell their future (their children).

39. Obi

July 22, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Sorry, I messed up the previous link. Here’s the correct link to the petition: change.org/petitions/united-nations-stop-the-nigerian-senate-from-making-under-age-marriage-the-law?utm_campaign=new_signature&utm_medium=email&utm_source=signature_receipt#share

40. My oga at d Top

July 22, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Right on time!

41. damepenelope

July 22, 2013 at 9:40 pm

nice

42. X-factor

July 22, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Wow!

43. Sylvia

July 22, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Thumbs up Mrs Linus, job well done!

sylviachima.blogspot.co.uk

44. nich

July 22, 2013 at 11:15 pm

all i can say is waoh………..this movie was made even b4 this senate wahala. And it echoed what was happenning already…………….tears …tears…tears……….this is not about if they are muslims, as human beens we have feelings. God pls let not this children keep going true these.

45. jennietobbie

July 22, 2013 at 11:18 pm

I cannot wait to see this movie.!! THIS IS IT!!!!

46. ILoveGenevieve

July 23, 2013 at 12:55 am

Two thumbs Stephanie. This is precious.

47. annie

July 23, 2013 at 1:30 am

finally…..when I was in primary school, class five to be precise, my classmate was given out in marriage, she was barely 12 yrs old. when we (her classmate) found out, we were sooooooo confuse n did not understand. we decided to go pay her a visit but wen we got der, we were not allowed to see her b’cos she is now a woman while we are still ” children”. this so called custom or tradition has been in existence and it is a such pity that we Nigerians are handling it with kid glove. these men are not only peadophiles but murderers, slave traders, wicked and heartless…what kind of law allows such demons to move freely?.. ##so pissed rightnow

48. NNENNE

July 23, 2013 at 3:07 am

Am ashamed and embarrassed. At this time and age? In Nigeria?

• Fact

July 23, 2013 at 4:22 am

It is Northern Nigeria not Nigeria. The truth is Northern Nigeria is so backward and not so different from Sudan, Niger and somalia. If you visit far North, you will weep…these people have just refused to be informed and their so called leaders have refused to allow the light to shine on them. God have mercy and save these innocent girls.

49. sara

July 23, 2013 at 3:37 am

Now this is a movie! More production house should be creating these type of films alongside their usual ” Lagos Babes”/Campus Love type movies. Well done Mrs. Linus!

50. lalaroses

July 23, 2013 at 5:28 am

Pls get your facts right. LINUS IS HER SURNAME. Her husband is Idahosa LINUS, his brother is the gospel singer, Pita LINUS. LINUS IS THEIR SURNAME

51. Dayo

July 23, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Good trailer,I look forward to seeing this movie.
    You know,it just crossed my mind,it seems like it is only the female celebrities/public figures and “the rest of us” that are speaking up against this Child marriage,makes me wonder about the mentality of the “men” in our society.

52. chibuzor

July 24, 2013 at 9:13 am

timely movie, hope it gets licensed and is shown at the cinemas, we all need to see this and understand the implication of our actions and inactions. Some things are not worth the pain they bring. The human body has its limitations

53. sharon kuyet

April 22, 2015 at 12:09 pm

After watching the trailer,I was sad,angry and thoughtful of those girls that are going through those situations at the moment…and yet we have “senators”,I really hope there’s a revolution in our constitution some day,studying law and I pray to make one of the greatest changes in our judiciary system,changes like this so that nigeria indeed can be better. Steph keep it up,may the good lord reward you,your crew members,production team and everyone who has and still supports this movie