News

Say Goodbye to Pain & Swelling! 7 Great Tips on Getting Rid of Corns

How to Get rid of Feet Corns - bellaNaija - August2013Corns taste good, but they certainly don’t look too good on our toes.

Corns are thickened areas of a small section of the skin that can be painful and very uncomfortable. This thickness mostly occurs on the toes, especially the little toe. Corns come up as a result of friction on the toes’ skin, which is caused by excess rubbing and pressure from tight shoes.

Corns are known to be majorly caused by tight shoes and it has a way of ruining the appearance of our gorgeous feet. However, before you can totally get rid of corns on your little toe or in between your toes, you need to understand the different types and causes. We definitely can’t be walking around with corns on our toes, so I’m also going to be giving you effective tips on how to permanently get rid of them.

Though there are different foot disorders and forms of corns, there are two major types of corns;

Hard Corn

Soft corn

These are very common and most people have them on their toes.

Hard corns mostly appear on the top or the side of the little toe, and these are the parts of the toes’ skin where tight shoes exert more pressure on.
Soft corns on the other hand are those that often appear in between the toes, most times within the fourth and fifth toes. They are called soft corns because they are actually soft, due to the moist effects of the sweat between the toes. These type of corns have more tendencies to become infected than hard corns.

Although tight shoes are popularly known to be the main cause of corns, rough stitches and the seam in shoes rubbing against the toes’ skin continuously, may also cause corns. It’s advised to wear good shoes with plenty of space for the toes. Wearing these type of shoes will reduce friction and prevent recurrence once you’ve gotten rid of the corns.

Getting rid of corns may take a long time, so you just have to be patient and ensure you’re on the right treatment-track. There are numerous types of chemical treatments that can get rid or reduce the thickness of the corns.

1. These treatments should contain ‘Salicylic acid’, which is not only good for eliminating acne but different foot disorders. Salicylic acid is a keratolytic, it dissolves the protein (keratin), which makes up the yellowish thick swollen layer of dead skin that forms on or the side of the little toe. Salicylic acid treatments have different forms, which could be drops, ointments, pads and plasters. Ensure you follow the directions for use on the pack of any treatment you decide to purchase.

2. If your corns are infected, use alcohol-free ‘goldenseal extract and tree oil’ to reduce the infection and enhance quick healing. For the itching and pain, soak cotton wool in ‘Burow’s solution’ and cold water, then press the soaked cotton wool on the affected area 3 times a day for 15 -20mins each time.’

3. Lacking vitamin A, E or potassium could promote the growth of corns. Taking raw vegetables and fruit juices, will assist in balancing the acidity of your system and also prevent new corns or re-occurrence. It’s advised to avoid meats, sugar, caffeine, fried and processed foods.

4. As the saying goes for every beauty challenge, there is always a natural solution that is affordable and very safe. You don’t just eat bread or put vinegar in your salad, you can use both to reduce corns. It’s called the ‘Bread and Vinegar Folk Remedy’. First of all, you crumble a small piece of bread into a cup, add one tablespoon of vinegar, leave for 30 minutes, then make a paste and apply on the corn overnight. This reduces soreness and dries out the corn, continue application until you get the result you want.

5. To soften hard corns and reduce pain, soak your feet while relaxing in lukewarm water for as long as you’re relaxing, then dry your feet thoroughly. Rub fresh lemon on the corns, add salt to the lukewarm water and place feet into the solution. After some time, pour the salted water away, get another basin of lukewarm water, place your feet in basin for 10 minutes, dry your feet, apply Shea butter (Ori) on the corn and lightly massage it.

6. Lastly, always guard your feet from directly touching the floor in places a lot of people walk through, always wear your slippers or shoes and don’t share anything thing that comes in contact with your feet, e.g. socks, shoes, towels etc.

7. If your corns are severe, please visit a professional that deals with foot disorders (Podiatrist) to get a more advanced treatment and have it surgically removed.

Don’t forget to share any tips or advice you may have on how to prevent and cure corns on your feet. Have a beautiful day ahead.

Photo Credit: Mwanadada.blogspot.com | Yourhealthfoodstore |

1. eniola

August 22, 2013 at 11:31 am

Nice to know it even has a name. lol. I had the hard corns on both toes early March as a result of wearing a very tight pair of shoes i got as Christmas gifts. When i noticed, i stopped wearing the shoes, peeled off the surface every now and then and rub shea-butter on it, till it stopped hardening and shedding. Now the spot is just a little lighter than normal.

2. konne

August 22, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Never tried ori on anything. I’ll try it on my corns. to get rid of the ones I have, I have banned myself from wearing covered shoes for a while now. Oh, I haven’t thrown away my shoes, just a temporary suspension of activities until my feet forgive me and the corns disappear. Winter will be tough. I haven’t figured that one out year. …. there has been progress though. My feet are not mad at me any more and I can tolerate wearing covered shoes without taking them off at the first chance I get.
    Thanks for the info

3. BellaYankee

August 22, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Do you mean calluses?

• Adele

March 10, 2014 at 7:21 am

Corns and calluses are similar but different.

4. Syl

August 22, 2013 at 10:16 pm

This is really helpful, I use Scholl hard skin softening cream and the Express Pen which is good as well.

5. Chika**

August 23, 2013 at 2:16 am

Please, my follow Africans, never use the Acrylic Acid for corn. It will discolor your toe. I used it and it made the situation worst than before. Then, I went to see my podiatrist and I was told that it was not designed for people of color. I wish someone told me before I tried it.

6. titi

August 23, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Myy dear chika read d article well its not acrylic acid but salicylic acidw hich is also good 4 zits u can use creams containing it.

7. teebaby

August 24, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Amazing how theres a lot of knowledge about corns now… Well for me I got my permanent relief from corns underneath my big and small toe by having pedicures regularly.. Like every other forthnight and had to give up tight shoes….

8. itsjustme

August 24, 2013 at 8:19 pm

thank God coz i have it bad on my pinky toes….and i hate exposing my toes beause of it

9. mo

December 27, 2013 at 4:54 am

I take my shoes off at the first chance I get, because of
    the pain by the corns on my pinky toes. I don´t care exposing my
    toes, it is such a relief! I have my corns treated by a podiatrist
    every 6 weeks, but still the pain gets worse …

• Adele

March 10, 2014 at 7:24 am

If the pain is still getting worse you may want to look into some DIY solutions. Check with your podiatrist of course to make sure that it won’t interfere with whatever treatment they are doing. Here is a summary of ways you can treat corns yourself. onmyfoot.com/how-to-get-rid-of-corns-on-feet/

10. Naima

April 13, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I heard soaking your feet in a sodium bicarbonate solution every night will help. I haven’t tried it yet. I tried the scholl products from the peels to solutions but it seems to disappear then come back I barely think it’s a corn as it’s on my second toe .

11. Allen

August 14, 2014 at 4:45 am

As for tip number 5, try soaking your feet to lukewarm water with fishes. It’s basically called fish spas. It’s really relaxing to foot pains. Excellent tips anyway. Thanks.

12. Ron Simpson

August 20, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Pouring alcohol to your Corn? Does that not hurt? I think it’ll be painful?

13. Audrey - Aching Foot

September 11, 2014 at 6:41 am

Corns and callouses are really painful especially when wearing shoes, I would normally wear open-toe sandals or flip-flops during these but you can’t wear them all the time, can you? Thanks for posting great tips!

14. Shelia

October 5, 2014 at 8:07 pm

My corn on the pinky toe hurts badly even when I do not wear shoes!! Sometimes it hurts for the covers on the bed to touch it!! I feel that I need mine surgically removed! ITS VERY PAINFUL AND UGLY!!

• Annie

May 31, 2016 at 5:05 am

Shelia, I’m going thru the same thing. don’t know if I’ll ever be able to wear shoes again.. It hurts so bad.

15. Jim

October 22, 2014 at 3:27 am

Corns aren’t contagious, walking barefoot is only relevant if it’s an open or infected wound. In which case you should be seeing a dr anyways!

16. Gana

December 23, 2014 at 9:55 pm

“Zelyonka”, which is frequently translated as “brilliant green,” has been used for years in Ukraine, Russia, and elsewhere to treat minor cuts and scrapes. Easily accessible in many Russian stores in United States and Canada. I have soft corn, that I treat with “Zelyonka”. I cut the upper part of corn with nail clipper and apply “Zelyonka”, pain is gone overnight and ready to wear heals next morning. Only cannot wear open toes as the green wears out very slowly. One treatment lasts couple of months. Repeat if grows again.
    Cost: less than $5.00

17. Easy in Home

November 9, 2015 at 7:26 pm

This is an Asian home remedy to heal corns. It can be truly effective. Make a thick paste of turmeric powder and nectar. Apply it on the corn and let the paste air dry. You will notice the corn, diminishing in size in around two to three days.

• Andrea O

April 26, 2016 at 9:42 am

Does it really work?

18. Annie

May 31, 2016 at 5:10 am

I’m looking for something, anything, that will help get rid of this corn on my baby right toe. I can’t believe how much the pain is. So bad I can’t wear shoes and even the sheets at night hurts it. Please, does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate it any help.
    Annie

19. Palapa

August 2, 2016 at 7:40 am

Mine is on the tip of my toe and my toe is swollen and red is that normal ? The itch is spreading upwards to my feet is that normal ?

20. JustJane

March 1, 2017 at 1:35 pm

It’s the fist time I have ever had a corn ways had healthy feet, got a small one on my little toe so got some Carnation corn caps, used two over four days as prescribed, didn’t work , it was very painful and took layers of skin off my toe, went and had the corn cut out, so far my toe is still very sore and red, can’t wear my shoes and the pain keep me awake a nights…Do not use corn caps !!!

21. Harold Chin

September 14, 2018 at 9:13 am

My home-grown method is simple & safe.//// Procedure: 1) Soak ur foot in water as hot as u can tolerate for about 1 hour (ie till the corn is soft enough to be removed)////2) With a pair of SCISSORS, cut big chunks off at first when it’s not just possible but also easy.. When only a thin layer of the corn is left to be removed, start a cut with a shaving/scraping kind of stroke involving 1 scissor blade,& finish the cut scissor-style.