News

BN Beauty Nest With Ameera: Stay Healthy but Eat Yummy! This Meal Plan is for You

BN Beauty Nest with Ameera - BellaNaija - September 2013After battling with weight issues for the past year I managed to find my perfect healthy eating plan. I have always been petite and slightly underweight so I went on a mission to gain some weight and at least look “normal”.

So, I took a lot of nutritional supplements and exceeded my desired weight and for the first time in my life I was trying to lose weight and not gain it.

I signed up for yoga and started swimming which helped me lose about 3kg in 3 weeks. I had reached my ideal weight after 2 months and discovered that eating only 1500 calories daily helped me maintain my “perfect” weight.

Not only did it fit in perfectly with my new healthy lifestyle, I feel lighter, refreshed and energized after every meal.

I have put together a sample meal plan which is exactly 1500 calories and completely healthy and tasty too. I hope you have as much fun trying out the meals as I did putting them together.

Breakfast

Diet Meal Plans for Loosing Weight - BellaNaija -September 2013002

1. Oats or Wheetabix with semi skimmed milk topped with raisins or bananas.

Diet Meal Plans for Loosing Weight - BellaNaija -September 20130032. Glass of freshly squeezed fruit juice or cranberry juice

LunchDiet Meal Plans for Loosing Weight - BellaNaija -September 20130041. Roast chicken salad with brown bread. (Salad base is iceberg lettuce, cucumber and tomato) chicken should be skinless.

Snack

Diet Meal Plans for Loosing Weight - BellaNaija -September 2013005

1. Low fat natural yogurt topped with swirl of honey Diet Meal Plans for Loosing Weight - BellaNaija -September 20130062. Sliced pear

Dinner

Diet Meal Plans for Loosing Weight - BellaNaija -September 2013007

1. Basmati rice with grilled salmon or croaker fish and spicy tomato sauce. Diet Meal Plans for Loosing Weight - BellaNaija -September 20130082. Fruit salad with fresh mint purée (blend mint leaves with lemon or lime juice)

I would love to hear how you get along with your own diet meal plans. Remember to also exercise. Choose something you enjoy doing so it doesn’t feel like punishment or a chore. Happy weight loss!

Photo Credit: Hellobeautiful.com | Forum.bodybuilding.com | Redelf.hubpages.com | Thesundaydinnerrevival.com | Goldteef.blogspot.com | Aforaubergine.com |Madhungrywoman.com | Recipe.com
Ameera Abraham is the Creative Director at The Nail Bar, a luxury nail spa and wellness centre located in Abuja. She’s a qualified aesthetician and is passionate about all things beauty!

1. Vanessa

September 27, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I feel like eating all the yummy things here.

• Chelizruby

September 28, 2013 at 5:43 am

If you want to lose weight naturally just by eating right and exercising, come to my blog for major weight loss tips. I lost over 26 kgs just by doing these things. I also have Nigerian meal plans free for you. http://www.chelizrubycube.blogspot.com see you soon.

2. miss chioma

September 27, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Ok.Ipls ll want suggestions on how to gain weight .

• CuriousShe

September 27, 2013 at 5:55 pm

LOL! My sentiments exactly.

• Ameera

September 27, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Hi Chioma, I would love to share my weight gain plan with you also. Please send me an email at aabraham “at” thenailbar-ng.com.

• toluh

September 27, 2013 at 10:48 pm

this email address isn’t correct

• Ameera

September 28, 2013 at 10:32 am

3. remie

September 27, 2013 at 4:47 pm

All the things here are buy able in Abuja, so am going to make them for my friend

4. steph

You can employ me

7. mdevaan

September 27, 2013 at 5:24 pm

LOVE THIS,I’LL DEF GET SUBSTITUTES FOR WHAT I CAN’T GET HERE AND TRY THIS OUT

8. dietrocks

September 27, 2013 at 5:31 pm

let me give you my own out take too na…the nigerian out take

morning – Ogi and skimmed milk. a few pieces of Akara if it is too bad…
    Half Ripe plaintain and steamed Spinach/efo/ugwu. Add one egg and some seasoning for some flavour
    Snack on nuts, one piece of fruit.
    Dinner – Moi moi and steamed fish. Some left over spinach…

hover around this diet and in one week, your stomach with thank you by dropping some flabs…

• Ameera

September 27, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Awesome alternative. Thank you for sharing. I would be careful about what nuts are snacked on though and remember, always in moderation.

9. LL

September 27, 2013 at 6:15 pm

For my diet I always have smoothie (freshly made using plain yougurt, soymilk and any fruits) with cereal (Cheerios is my favorite). For lunch, I eat anything heavy (except fried foods BUT must have salad or vegetables. For dinner, I eat VERY light (such as baked fish and some more fruits avoiding carbohydrates). For snacks, I MUST have NUTS. I just love me some unsalted nuts.

10. chei

September 27, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Mon dear,this na for rich people.if u want to loose weight,keep juicing and keep to protein diet ,anything made from whole wheat and vegetables.Drink water and exercise,not excessively before you become anorexic again

11. Ima

September 27, 2013 at 7:39 pm

What is the recipe for the green smoothie? thanks

12. babious

September 27, 2013 at 8:48 pm

@chei,I taya oh! Raisins n banana,roast chicken salad *rolling eyes*. Abeg,anyone wit d average man recipe?arrgh,all ds jst makes me want to eat n eat nt diet.

13. Nwando

September 27, 2013 at 9:28 pm

@ diet rocks, if you eat Akara you might as well eat white bread, yam or rice for breakfast. The calories in akara alone may exceed the recommended daily calories. @ chei I totally agree with you, just keep juicing and eat proteinous meals. Cut out carbs totally. For the person asking about green juice, just google it. There are tons of different recipes, just pick the one you enjoy most. I personally don’t stick to just one recipe but as adviced by a nutritionist, I make sure I have 70% veggies and 30% fruit in my juice.

• anonymous

September 28, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Cut out carbs totally? Really? how do you intend to have energy to get through the day?There are healthy carbs gotten form vegetables, beans, brown rice etc. How you proportion the classes of food on your plate is what matters not cutting out anything. There are long term negative effect of excluding any class of food. Everything works in tandem in our bodies. The best diet is no diet at all.. Eat healthy alternatives of all the classes of food, including the fats and oil.. The basic premise to lose weight is burn more calories than you eat and to gain weight is eat more calories than you burn. A 1500 calorie diet is ideal

14. Bee

September 27, 2013 at 10:02 pm

@Ima the green smoothie depends on what you want, I use green apple, cucumber, kale, celery and lemon juice. Alternatively google Kimberly Snyder glowing green smoothie or download the juicemaster app…Hope this helps

• dee one

September 29, 2013 at 1:59 am

@Bee…do u live in naija, if yes pls where do u get ur kale from cos im on a hunt for it here in naija, abuja precisely…..

15. Plato

September 27, 2013 at 10:08 pm

The pictures don’t match the food. Where is the iceberg lettuce? That’s arugula! Where are the tomatoes… is it only me that sees this?

16. Myturn

September 27, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Ameera pls can you share the weight gain plan here, without having to send a mail to you? Thanks on advance

• Ameera

September 28, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Basically all you need to do is eat above 2000 calories daily. You need to eat more calories than the average guideline to gain weight. To maintain your achieved weight you eat about 1500 calories. I will put up a sample meal plan shortly. Thank you

17. Jarula

September 27, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Serious question, pla Are all of these available in Nigeria?

• Jarula

September 27, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Please*

18. darkchildlovethyhair

September 28, 2013 at 12:24 am

Nice plan but a little impractical for the average nigerian.I’ll go with the juice and protein diet.

19. Chy

September 28, 2013 at 5:37 am

Ameera, what were the supplements you used for the weight gain?

• JuliaO

September 28, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Hi Chy, I took cyprigold which you can get at any pharmacy and ensure plus in between meals. The idea is to eat more than 2000 calories daily and exercise so you’re gaining weight in a healthy way.

• Ameera

September 28, 2013 at 12:56 pm

B-complex tends to give you an appetite. My weight gain supplements varied as I tried a variety of things but what worked for me the most were my nutritional shakes – GNC do some good protein shakes, Centrum A-Z and Cyprigold – although I found this made me drowsy and slightly sluggish. Try one and see if it works for you. You can always get further advice from your doctor/nutritionist.

20. meme

September 28, 2013 at 7:30 am

well I feel this can be the avg joe/jane diet plan :
    Breakfast: oatmeal with honey and diced natural fruits..with or without moi moi. (akara has oil)
    OR…A rich smoothie with fruits, ice, and little amount of oat (for energy) with or without yogurt. OR scrambled eggs with or without veg and a slice of brown bread.
    Lunch and lunch : sweet potato with veg sauce with chicken or fish (AVOID FRYING..SO BAKE, GRILL OR BOIL), any kind of salad with little dressing,beans with less oil, oat or semo with soup (cook with less palm oil and sodium), brown noodles,ofada or brown rice with stew ( cooked with less oil) or vegetables .
    Basically love your vegetables and fruits! drink green tea with no milk or sugar in the morning and before bed or if you have time also after every meal. drink lots of water daily, cut out or learn to reduce your intake on alcohol, minerals, fresh juice because it has lots of calories. you want juice ? try to make fresh juice in your kitchen. Avoid white rice/pasta/potato and white bread! u can have brown ones instead but in little proportions.cook with less sodium and oil and eat less sugar. try using honey instead. rice, pasta or sweet potatoes can be eaten with vegetables and not just stew ( cabbage, carrots, spring onions, green and red bell peppers,). love your fish and chicken..consume less beef (red meat is not good). Also do not think of it as a punishment, also do not restrict yourself. Have 1 or 2 cheat meal day where you get to eat WHATEVER you want and those days should be spread out! example. do not have your cheat meal days on friday and saturday because they are too close. instead have your cheat meal days on friday and tuesday… (LET THE DAYS BE FAR APART).
    I think I have said enough 🙂

21. towloo

September 28, 2013 at 7:49 am

@Plato.I share d same thoughts wt u.even d sliced pear appears 2 b sliced cucumber.ds chic just downloaded all d pics&added ha stories 2 mk it colorful.

22. tolz

September 28, 2013 at 8:01 am

pls anyone knows where i can get greek yogurt? Thanks

23. olori Tari

September 28, 2013 at 10:01 am

*Bookmarks this page* Nice !!

24. Church Girl

September 28, 2013 at 11:00 am

diets work for a short period a lifestyle change is what would keep the weight off permanently, cut out bad carbs, eat lots of fruits n veggies, exercise regularly, stay away from processed foods, and drink lots of water. The body needs a balanced diet to function properly not smoothies. cheers

25. banimo

September 28, 2013 at 12:07 pm

How many people can maintain diets?They do not work on the long run. Portion control and exercise is the key .

• Ameera

September 28, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Thank you Banimo. Exactly what this post is about. About 1500-2000 calories daily help you maintain a healthy weight. It is not about weight loss this is about eating right and eating healthy.

26. uniqueaffairz

October 1, 2013 at 8:20 pm

@Ameera I weigh bout 80kg and want to lose about 15kg by december. I begun an exercise routine bout 2wks ago but haven’t disciplined myself well enuf on d foods to take and avoid. First of all, is my goal practical and secondly wat real meals can I take?…..other suggestions from the house is very welcome

27. Obat Pelangsing

October 4, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Thank you for sharing.. Really useful..

28. Weight Loss For Women

October 15, 2013 at 8:35 pm

You are right–you can eat healthy and eat yummy at the same time. You got it right–a health life style change.
    I started looking at the caloric density of foods. For example, I will put humus on a sandwich rather than mayonaise. It does not sounds like much but once you do it for other foods, it all adds up and YOU LOSE WEIGHT!