News

Kunle Afolayan: “Does our Government consider Us worthy Citizens of Nigeria?”

BellaNaija.com

Kunle Afolayan

Kunle Afolayan is speaking out on the deplorable state of the nation.

In a Facebook message posted by the Nollywood actor/director, he shares his thoughts on the Nigerian government, possibly relocating and more.

Read;

YES! It is high time I started considering relocation. To where? I don’t know but it’s something that has been bothering me for some time now.

I have always been an advocate of “Yes we are Nigerians and so shall it be” but for some time now the reality of the state of the Nigerian Nation is beginning to take its toll on me. Does our government consider us worthy citizens of Nigeria or we are just fooling ourselves?

There is no electricity to start with and that has been the case since I was born, now I have worked very hard and I am able to afford generator of any size but there is no fuel to run any of them, neither is there fuel to even move around when you need to attend to business.

The life of a Kunle Afolayan is even better than that of majority of most Nigerians and every day I wonder and I ask what the future holds for “Iya Basira” who sells wosiwosi and other petty traders whose goods is sometimes worth less that N10,000.

I am sure a lot of people will consider me a millionaire after I have made a few successful feature films that have recorded good box office figures and international recognition, But the truth is, it’s all make believe just as it is in the movies. If I was living in a better Nation and well-structured country, I probably will be living the life of a celebrity by now but the truth and reality is that, I am still a tenant and so is a lot of our so called celebrities in Nigeria and I am owing banks millions.

As a matter of fact, everybody in my house owns two passports, one for Nigeria and the other is for what is considered to be the most powerful country in the world, I have refused get my citizenship of America because of my sentiments of being “PROUDLY NAIJA”. E be like say I don wake up now!! Make I carry my “ENTERPRENEURIAL ENERGY” and talent go elsewhere jare…

Credit: www.facebook.com/kunleafolayan.goldeneffects

1. DJ STELCH

March 8, 2014 at 1:29 pm

The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Poorer!! But Boss, If You Say You Dont Own A House Of Your Own Yet, How Come Your Younger Brother Owns a Bentley, a House In Lekki and you work harder than him.. #JustSaying!! Anywaz God Bless Your Hustle!! Naija La Wa!!

2. Lady Mo!

March 8, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Hmmmm…..I share ur sentiments bro! me sef dey always carry “proudly naija” for head but as e be so e go beta make pesin just ‘ja’ comot 4 ‘naija’ 0! but bros, we go miss u o! coz e be like say u r one of the very few peepz wey dey produce correct n sensible movies for dis obudo naija. All the best bro!

3. @edDREAMZ

March 8, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Seriously i thought this man is really really rich, God he is a tenant upon all his money…… Goverment has really contributed to many able men and women leaving naija for gud.. God, naija to america no too far abeg come carry me comot frm here…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• Leila

March 8, 2014 at 7:57 pm

If your unintelligent comments are anything to go by, ohh nah!! you don’t stand a chance with the American Embassy staff. Sorry .

• Hurperyearmie

March 11, 2014 at 5:17 pm

He is from pakurumo blog

4. no heart to hate

March 8, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Eiya. it is well with this Country

5. private vikky

March 8, 2014 at 2:22 pm

The end got me laughing but i he is so right…..what do you do when the country you are so loyal to doesnt show you any signs of progress or even hope….in the last week especially, the news that hv been coming out of that country are enough to chase every dreamer away bc u keep asking when will it end? or when will it change?… love his honesty bc if nollywood with all the recognition it has now is nt able still to feed its own stars, then he def needs to hawk his talent else where….i shall be prayng for naija and Africa as a whole….smh

6. deb

March 8, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Of a truth and awakening. Our Govt. Does not even understand the concept of citizenship, let alone how to benefit it’s people. Olorun agba wa, amin

7. Author Unknown

March 8, 2014 at 3:24 pm

He is so right. ‘Patriotic Nigerians’ should continue to persevere and suffer in silence while your leaders rob you blind and keep you in misery. Obviously not every Nigerian can or should leave, but when you’re almost turning 40 or 50 and you’re still singing the same old song of lamentation, you can’t but lose faith. Think about it, Nigerians now go to Ghana (a fellow West African nation) to get better education. This “my turn go come” mentality is killing our system. Reality, your turn will NEVER come if things continue the way they are, and that goes for well over 99% of Nigerians.

8. Tee

March 8, 2014 at 3:50 pm

@DJSTELCH,guy wake up from your slumber,if you bliv all that charade,then you go bliv anything.You wonder how Jim Iyke and Chidi Mokeme got into that gigolo abuja women mess,how some of our actresses sleep around,you don’t want to knw.By calculation it doesn’t add up,how you build houses for your parents and buy them new SUVs and you see them shopping abroad buying bags worth N1.3million,ask yoyrself on top how many movie and endorsement.The truth is dat they all do wat they have to do to stay on top cos that’s wat fans like,nobody ever make comments like where are they getting d money but we celebrate the ‘tear rubber’ they launch every month.Some have the money while others just go with the crowd cus they must belong.E go surprise you say Dbanj sef with all the endorsemt never get house,it is called packaging but I call it fake and wreckless lifestyle.The annoying bit is the ones that are truly talented and still struggling to survive just bcos they have not learnt the ‘WAY’,show off,get attentn of social media and land ursef a deal.As for Bros,biko no leave o,you have come this far to look back no farther.

9. truth be told

March 8, 2014 at 3:52 pm

greed is the reason Nigeria is not moving forward.”If I was living in a better Nation and well-structured country, I probably will be living the life of a celebrity by now but the truth and reality is that, I am still a tenant and so is a lot of our so called celebrities in Nigeria and I am owing banks millions.”.i like the fact he is telling us not all you see that glitters is gold.it’s amazing how social network has turned the whole world upside down with fake lifestyle. 99% of Nollywood actors are prostitutes the men inclusive.

10. nene

March 8, 2014 at 4:01 pm

1)firstly i will start with kunle. from what i hear (i don’t know if its a fact) he is living in a rented 6 bedroom house on the island just because he made Figurine, and that would cost him at least 4 million a year (if not more), and he has 3 kids and a wife. how much are you making for you to spend your income on a “life on the island”.
    2) Now the nigerian government have shown time and time again that they do not care about nigeria or nigerians, once they get money, it goes into their pockets and the pockets of the children yet unborn.
    3) i don’t know if moving abroad will be better for kunle, but when he gets abroad he will still be in debts. why would someone be in debt and still pay huge sums of money to live in an expensive house the island? you still have to pay school fees and other living expenses. people need to learn to live according to their means, money today does not mean money forever.
    4) if you sit here and wait for government, you are on your own, if you travel out you are still on your own. life is not easy and nigeria is just a difficult to live in but people are still making it, heck people are even relocating back to nigeria more than ever before, so kunle should check his priorities.
    5) he’s not the first person to make films in nigeria, neither is he the best, others before him have and are still making films and living within their means e.g tunde kelani, teco benson, amaka igwe, etc. and other nigerians in other fields are still managing with the little salaries they have, they are not dead yet.
    6) being an independent filmmaker is not easy or cheap anywhere in the world, only those filmmakers that have the big studio backings can relax and enjoy life, indie filmmakers suffer a lot, and in nigeria there are n big studios and companies are not willing to sponsor because their filmmaking industry is not organized.

who remembers the oceanic bank loan (not sure if it was oceanic bank) given to a few filmmakers? what did they use the money for? they used the money to finance their personal business (buying houses and land) instead of marketing their movies, and most of those films flopped big time and the storylines were the same even with the millions of naira that the bank gave to them. it was a big loss for the banks.

11. nene

March 8, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Now, to the government side.
    1) complain, complain, complain! people have been complaining but what have we done about it? once something happens, nigerians rally around and after a few months, everyone goes back to their life “e no concern me”. our parents have been complaining since the 80s. there were even adverts back in the day, the most popular was the “Andrew” advert with the late Enebeli Elebuwa.
    2) Even if you put the average nigerian in government, they will learn from their predecessors how to steal, kill and destroy. this has been proven time and time again. the few good ones resign because they don’t want to die.
    3)the questions we should ask ourselves are a) “do we consider ourselves good citizens of nigeria?” b) do we abide by all the rules and regulations, without mago mago? (e.g dodging NYSC, bribing police men, forging fake documents, underpaying or witholding staff salaries,etc) c) are we willing to allow our leaders treat us like shit? d) when will we stand for our country and defend it? because now the war seems like nigerian government vs nigerian citizens. I have lived in several countries and now i live in nigeria, but of all the countries i’ve lived in, nigerians are the least passionate citizens and most dishonest people i have come across. search yourselves!

12. peyton

March 8, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Kate when I grow up I want to be like you. I wanna be fifty and spanking hot.I don’t like ritas dress I don’t know something isn’t just werking but I love the colour of the dress. Funke darls please never fix that pixie style again it dosent help you linda you too cute. Jocelyn you werk em hips gal.

• omada

March 9, 2014 at 8:41 pm

wrong thread…

13. Rocky

March 8, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Oh yeah, I was one of those patriotic “I’m gonna make my money in naija and stay in naija” people but now, I dey consider to leave by suitcase or stowaway sef. No hope, blueprints or plans for citizens….

14. Mrs Nwosu

March 8, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I was just thinking the same thing today. I went to a certain place today and the road was so deploreable, and the houses there was just such a mess, the gutters are right infront of the houses, my kids were even counting which of the houses will have more malaria parasite, it was pathetic. Like how much will it cost to just fix these roads and even upgrade the houses? When people are just stealing the country dry. Is it that we cannot have a government that can bring change in our dear naija. Am seriously thinking of moving too but when i look back i love my country. Its very disheartening. I feel you bros.

15. Justsaying

March 8, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Nigeria is a failed state period. It will get a lot worse before it gets better. It’s hard to relocate abroad at that age. Starting from the beginning to learn the ropes. It’s a humbling experience especially for us Nigerians. I know a couple of guys on anti depressants cause they can’t cope with the social readjustment. Good luck to him.

16. ivie

March 8, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Naija of today is for people who are in govt! Have been hardworking too. Not so much to show for it. In my opinion only those who can lie,manipulate and selfish that this country favours. Too sad. It takes God’s grace to be sane,truthful and Godly in naija. SMH

17. NNENNE

March 8, 2014 at 10:34 pm

He has the right to live anywhere he so chooses. Question is, who is he making films for? His Market is Nigeria and Africa right? Hope he will interview Uche Jombo and others and find out why they keep coming back to Nigeria.
    The grass is always greener on the other side.

18. lakelizzy

March 8, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Well I remember being extremely furious at the way things are in Nigeria the last time I visited. One thing I’ll say is that the Nigerian government is the reflection of it’s citizens. I also believe that if you do not hold your government accountable to you, you have ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT TO CONDEMN OR JUDGE THEM. Now, Mr. Afolayan, please with your influence, because i know you do have some, what have you done to challenge the Nigerian government? What is it exactly that you’re upset about. Ask yourself why the government doesn’t take you seriously. If the government knows that it’s citizens would hold it responsible if it messes up, it will not mess up. If you were in the same position of these people you seem not pleased with, would you have done any differently? Would you have thought about the average Nigerian and how he’s living? I can go on and on… But please we Nigerians have to stop being such a scary cat and stand up to demand our rights. Complaints won’t do it. We need selfless people who truly believe in the country and are ready fight a good cause not for fame but for the sake of change and creating a better Nigeria. Those countries you’re running to, some people had to fight and lots of blood was shed to make the countries livable for people like you. PLS MY PEOPLE STOP RUNNING AND START FACING AND FIGHTING YOUR BATTLE!

• yomi

March 13, 2014 at 2:45 pm

you dont speak from outside the country . and expect change if you mean what you are saying come back to naija and fight for freedom … at mr kunle … regardless how this country bad reach, you still dey do well. you can thimk of a better way to make ends meet . geneviv and some other actors are making money follow the trend , i think you dont really have an empire you need to stand strong running outta naija is not the perfect answer.. together we stand devided we fall…

19. Mama nony

March 8, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Exactly how I felt when I had my frist child in Nigeria I felt proud being Nigerian but my next child I got him an extra passport navy blue cos it’s a country where things work.
    Nigeria has disappointed me and God almighty alone can solve this problem cos we humans don’t seem to get it right.

20. tgal

March 9, 2014 at 6:04 am

Its just the state of the nation! The country we all wish can be better seems to be Deteriorating more than ever.I feel its up to us to bring about the change we desire.

21. Coded1

March 9, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Does the government consider us worthy to be human beings?

22. Stephanie

March 10, 2014 at 6:09 am

Ma Crush(lol), pls take it easy oh. It’s never really rosy anywhere…i think you create the Nigeria u want to c, not running away, sounds like sometin a coward uld do. Just keep doing what you love doing, pray while doing it and God would bless d works of ur hands *Virtual hug*
    blogsvila.blogspot.com

23. okoro Victor

March 10, 2014 at 10:01 am

he woked up late!!!

24. oj

March 10, 2014 at 5:57 pm

and you wonder why chiwetel has not come forward to say he is a nigerian? naija no dey try.

25. yomi