News

Extreme Dieting: Pregnant Australian Woman Lives on Fruits to Stay Skinny

Loni Jane Anthony Diet - Bella Naija

Loni Jane Anthony

Ladies, how far would you go to maintain your figure during pregnancy?

For women like 25-year-old Australian mom, Loni Jane Anthony, the answer to this question is: “Whatever it takes.”

During Anthony’s pregnancy, her diet consisted of only 20 bananas a day, watermelon, beetroot and lemon juice, and other plants and fruits, Daily Mail reports.

Here’s what her daily meals looked like:

Breakfast:  Half a watermelon, six or more big oranges, grapes, apples, pineapple etc.

Lunch: One liter or more smoothie containing six or more bananas, water, dates and maybe green powder added or berries or coconut water.

Loni Jane Anthony's Food - Bella Naija

During her diet, she maintained an active blog and Instagram account, where she showed off her skinny frame at each phase of her pregnancy. Although she had adopted this fruit diet as a lifestyle way before she became pregnant, many criticized her for maintaining these extreme dieting tactics even during her pregnancy.

In response to her critics, she says, “I’m living proof that you don’t have to become a whale when you’re pregnant. You don’t have to put on heaps of weight and never bounce back – you can stay really healthy.”

Loni Jane Anthony's baby pictures

Despite her strict diet, which many criticized as being dangerous and unhealthy for a pregnant woman, Anthony gave birth to a healthy baby boy  on March 2nd, whose birth weight was 8lbs 7oz,  (about 4 kg).

Photo Credit: www. aleven11.tumblr.com/

***

So Bella Naijarian ladies, what do you think of Loni Jane Anthony’s extreme diet? Would you ever go on a strict diet during pregnancy? Let’s talk about it!

To see more of Loni Jane Anthony’s pre/post pregnancy pics, visit:  www.aleven11.tumblr.com

1. nnennaya

April 8, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Can o, after all, I can’t live my life for any baby o. The only challenge I see is following through to the end of 9 months

• Anne

April 8, 2014 at 7:19 pm

I beg you. Pls dont ever give birth. If u already have a child/ren,pls give them to someone who’ll give her life to make sure they are safe. Afterwards, pls seek Jesus to heal you of this extreme form of selfishness. Smh!

• Kuyeek

April 9, 2014 at 7:09 pm

I can only imagine how challenging it can be! But apparently the benefits are outstanding

2. memebaby

April 8, 2014 at 3:37 pm

what she did should not be considered as not being healthy..IMO as long as she was taking her folic acids and other vitamins. the fruits (esp bananas) contain all the nutrients one needs.. come to think of it.. how did the women in the caveman era survive.. they still had kids didn’t they?.. It takes will power to do this..

• random

April 8, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Cavemen ate now. They had balanced unprocessed food. Have you heard of Paleo diet?

3. Molicious

April 8, 2014 at 3:38 pm

If the diet is something her body is accustomed to, then there really isn’t any harm as long as she’s getting all the nutrients her body needs. Its almost like saying a runner shouldn’t run as much or as often because she is pregnant. In my opinion, as long as you are accustomed to a healthy habit and your doctor okays it. No harm to the baby, keep being healthy!

4. @edDREAMZ

April 8, 2014 at 3:40 pm

She was just enjoying herself but her choice of food really makes alot of sense, atlist she gave birth to a healthy boy and she is one sexy mama with a lovely shape no doubt…. Nigerian ladies learn frm this mama…….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• random

April 8, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Looks can be deceiving. Health is not only outward.

All-fruit diet is lots of sugar though. What of vegetables?

• Renee

April 15, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Loni is the epitome of health. Educate yourself before you try and criticize someone else’s lifestyle just because you have grown accustomed to the standard American diet. Read 801010 by Dr. Douglas Graham and see if that helps… I’m 15 years old, and have been raw vegan for a year and a half now – I am at a normal weight yet slim, and I eat to my hearts content. I recovered from anorexia -with 801010, gaining 40 pounds 🙂 I’m filled with energy, happiness, I’m menstruating… My blood results are perfect… And I consume 80% carbs and 10% protein and 10% fats. To everyone who looks down on Loni’s lifestyle, how can you say this is unhealthy when you see the obesity and fast-food filled world we live in? Americans need to wake up to the detrimental health effects. Yeah, sure, Loni is skinny… That doesn’t mean she’s starving herself. Please don’t assume the existence of an eating disorder… You’re just being ignorant. She had a beautiful, HEALTHY baby, and if you really do some actual RESEARCH, there is evidence of fully raw vegan children that were raised since birth eating an abundance of fruit.
      I’d also like to point out that Loni realizes she needs to consume more fats during breastfeeding – and she HAS.
      There are thousands of people starving themselves on a mere 1000-1200 calories a day due to the diet industry. As a raw vegan, you can easily reach your optimal weight – naturally.
      As you can see, I have a lot to say to this as this lifestyle literally saved my life when I was in the hospital, near death at 65 pounds. 801010 raw veganism is growing more and more popular… I’ve argued with countless dietitians over the way I eat, and they are all astounded by how healthy I am. Basically… Please don’t contradict something you know nothing about!
      Thank you for reading my essay.. Ha.

• Naveah

April 8, 2014 at 4:30 pm

*at least*

5. sibo

April 8, 2014 at 3:41 pm

As long as it will not interfere with my health and the baby’s i would totally! Fitness is a lifestyle so like you already said, she didn’t change her diet so to each their own. Kuddos to her!

6. whocares

April 8, 2014 at 3:44 pm

To each his own, I suppose. She was a vegetarian before the pregnancy wasn’t she, so it worked for her. Whilst I am all for healthy pregnancy etc, I hate the smugness attached to this, “you don’t have to be a whale when you are pregnant?” .. Tell that to my friend’s aunt who is pregnant and has swollen fingers. She is healthy as well, but people are different.
    We all know the “eating for two” business is a myth, but it is not the food that causes some people to swell up.. Ahh I am getting all riled up now, and I never even born pikin sef.

7. Non professional opinion

April 8, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I’m not for strict diet during pregnancy. I would be more preoccupied with having a healthy diet. She and her baby seem fine so obviously it worked out for her, but I think that it’s a shame in this Instagram obsessed age that even pregnant women are counting calories to maintain their shape and ensure they bounce back to size zero in the minimum amount of time for all the selfies.
    I had every intention of doing the same with my last pregnancy, but when the baby came my priorities shifted to eating right in order to breastfeed and the weight came off naturally anyway. Now we are hearing Peaches Geldof possibly died from a heart attack linked to extreme dieting. The quest for perfection is killing women and the goal posts are being shifted everyday. I’m a size 10 UK 6 US, and I remember when that was slim. I went into a shop (where the assistant was larger than me) and asked for a 10 and she said “sorry, all the large sizes sell out really quickly”.

• Di

April 8, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Women’s need to be approved by men and society is very saddening. She looks good, nothing wrong with experimenting something new but I doubt if she did this for herself. Clearly the crave to be approved by a man or society, otherwise this shouldn’t be on the media. If men conjured tomorrow that big women were their preference, you’ll see this same ladies eating a whole damn cow over night and singing about how nutritious it is.
      Women, approval from the outside is fleeting, approval from within stands the test of time. Stop the weight loss madness, look healthy and eat healthy,don’t try to look thin, try not to be obese and have a healthy BMI and leave things at being fit.
      Don’t quote me but “It is said that the whole movement for skinny women began in the late 20th century from Western pedophiles who wanted their women to look petite and tiny like little girls. And the pressure for grown women to look like primary school girls continues….”

• Ikido

April 9, 2014 at 8:29 am

Hian….every problem in the world is caused by men. …all this feminist propaganda sef…SMH
      Just fyi; you women criticize yourselves more than men…you look at shape,height,complexion,nails,shoes,eyelash,makeup,hairstyle,lips,ears…..while men simply look at breast and yarsh….
      And also this obsession with being skinny is a 100% woman lead initiative….men dont care if you reduce from a size 10 to size 8…as far as that yarsh looks right.
      So please stop living in denial…she is doing because of her fellow women…
      Una women should go and settle it between yaselfs before you blame men.

• Di

April 9, 2014 at 3:51 pm

@Ikido Read thoroughly before yapping. I was not implying the men are to be blamed. No one can be blamed here except the women who cannot validate themselves for themselves. Yes, women critize themselves more and NO men care if you went from size 20 to 0 ! Clearly, you are mindlessly speaking for yourself, not all men are ass-appreciating, caucasian men in quote.

• Not Again.

April 9, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Shut your entire mouth up! You doubt if she did this for herself. Really? You saw these pictures and because you’re all – knowing you’ve decided she did this because she wants a man’s approval.

You are a problem.

8. nini

April 8, 2014 at 3:46 pm

This couldn’t have come at a better time. Just begun a fruit diet for weight loss today and now I’m so inspired. She looks healthy, and so does the baby. Haters always gonna hate.

• Bukky

April 8, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Operative word being “looks”!

9. Tinnnu29

April 8, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Its worked for her cos her body is use to dat diet , I also did the juicing. Thing in pregnancy but only for break fast and. Dinner , my luch was always heavy I can miss. My amala and ewedu for anything pls.and I gave birth to a healthy nd most handsome baby boy ever! God be praise not by fruits

10. JT

April 8, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I see nothing wrong with her diet. She consumed fruits that were very rich and nutritious so she got the necessary vitamins and nutrients her body needed (keyword: her body). Someone else might need slightly more or less… it just depends on your body. Also looking thru her tumblr, i saw that she also incorporated greens, veggies, etc so its not like she was only a fruitarian. Again, she had this diet and lifestyle prior to her pregnancy so it was not a shock to her body. Believe me – you don’t need all the unnecessary carbs (burgers, fries, jollof rice, eba, tons and tons of meat) while you’re pregnant. Moderation is the answer…. not advocating for extreme dieting during pregnancy but really, women need to stop using babies to eat their way to the top!

11. slice

April 8, 2014 at 3:55 pm

The baby is so cute and actually looks healthy. i hope she sha gives him food well sha.

12. Mrs A

April 8, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Very risky, nothing is more important than your childs health.

13. neon

April 8, 2014 at 4:00 pm

it is madness! your child might look healthy now but in a few years what happens if he has one deficiency or the other? Protein and fats are important especially during pregnancy.’
    Everything is in moderation, biko i know many women who eat healthily during their pregnancies and were back to their post baby weight before they even left the hospital. u DO NOT nee dto starve yourself.

• Shao

April 8, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Make una come here!!!!. I don’t think @neon gets the message. Nobody said starve yourself. The girl in this article knows what’s up! She ate all her body needed to grow a healthy baby while keeping her nourished. Jollof rice, eba and gbogbo e don’t help you much either. Too much carbs / unhealthy diet, chicken republic, MrBiggs et al puts you at risk for gestational diabetes, a macrosomic baby or pregnancy induced hypertension which could be very dangerous. While these complications may have a genetic factor, environmental factors like unhealthy diet, alcohol, smoking , stress and lack of exercise during pregnancy also play big roles in etiology.
      The goal is to eat healthy whether your doing the fruit veggie thing or carbs in moderation.
      PLS DO NOT STARVE YOURSELVES DURING PREGNANCY and do not eat for two either.

• Donald-Landon

April 8, 2014 at 5:03 pm

There was absolutely no where in the article where it stated she starved herself.

14. Hurperyearmie

April 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i doff my cap

15. Nelly Agbogu'weight loss blog

April 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I see nothing wrong with her diet, this is something “she was used to and obviously her Dr approved”. I have of those who run marathon at 9 months, the key is to doing the things you are used to. You really dont need to be a whale to be pregnant.
    Juicing and smoothies are very healthy and natural.
    Wished I knew better when I had my boys.

Follow my weight loss blog for more exciting tips on weight loss

16. Mrs Nwosu

April 8, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Wow, and I just started the same fruit not diet I just thought I shud take more fruits during this time although occasional I do take regular meals especially rice, I cant afford not to eat Sunday rice and my doctors says we are doing just great

17. Ify

April 8, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Not for me, I commend her though,

18. Nne steph

April 8, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Ther’s nothing extreme about it. When I had my 2nd son, I cudnt stomach any kind of food except fruits. Pawpaw and banana, kwulikuli and cucumber was my favorite. My doctor said its okay cos my mum was scared for d baby. I also took pregnacarewhich I suppose augumented what I didn’t get frm eating. I vommitted a lot and noticed fruits stayed. I looked refreshed, stopped vommiting, even though I was losin weight, my baby’s weight never dropped. I had a very big baby oo. Which gav him “d bull” as a nickname. After birth, I got my tastebuds back and ate as much as ii missed. Also gained extra 18kg. Before preg weight:60,Before delivery weight:63, baby’s birthweight:4.1, 3months after birth:81. What a life!!! I decided to get my life back..cut out d excess starch, increased fruits, kwulikwuli,,vegetables, water nd red wine. I’m a healthy 62kg nw and don’t regret d lifestyle change at all. It all boils down to what works for you as an individual. And that time, ppl no longer hav to study their body to find out what works and what doesn’t!!

19. desireayo

April 8, 2014 at 5:00 pm

hmm..does she have to tag her other women “whale”..She is who she is,so she should be herself n not expect other women to be or try to be her.#BeYourself#

20. Jane Public

April 8, 2014 at 5:44 pm

It is a sad, sad world that we live in, when a pregnant woman is referred to as a whale. A woman who is carrying life, putting her body through hell, emotions all over the place, a long arduous journey many pay hundreds of thousands to experience sometimes and you get called a whale. They have moved the goal post from attacking fat people to pregnant women. When is far too far, when do you draw the line. It is that yeye Giselle Bundchen that started it. She was interviewed after she had her first baby and she used that word. Since then, it is the hip thing to do, to call a pregnant woman a whale. Yes some overdo it and eat like food is becoming scarce but because you managed to stay slim during your pregnancy doesn’t give you the right to call someone else a whale. Geez. Is nothing sacred anymore?

• Miriam

April 8, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Thank you for this comment Jane. I am 22 weeks preggers with a baby boy and as much as I try to stay healthy it is hard. Il give an example I stopped drinking fizzy drinks since forever but in this pregnancy all I want to do is drink anything fizzy *sigh*. I don’t really eat much pre pregnancy but since I hit 20 weeks I find myself eating only twice a day because that’s how much I can stomach right now but I love fizzy drinks to top it off. Calling pregnant women fat is just wrong on all levels cuz every pregnancy is so different.

• SweetestTaboo

April 8, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Thank you for this reply. I don’t care how skinny she was prior to, during, or after pregnancy. She called other pregnant women whales? She is clearly the one with the problem.

• Di

April 8, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Some women will say and do anything to be approved by men and society. She looks good, nothing wrong with experimenting something new but I doubt if she did this for herself. Clearly the crave to be approved, otherwise this shouldn’t be on the media. If men conjured tomorrow that big women were their preference, you’ll see this same ladies eating a whole damn cow over night and singing about how nutritious it is for their pregnancy.

21. Cool cat

April 8, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Please hypocrites should stop complaining about whale. When kim kardashian was compared to everything horrible on the face of the earth no one complained. Yes pregnant women have the tendency to blow up like a whale and if it happens to you own it! I was a great giant whale during my pregnancy and I embraced every inch of it. I only felt bad when my bay was too large and needed an episiotomy. I learnt the hard way and next time it’s healthy eating for me. The amount of fruits she consumes a day is actually alarming. If a normal person ate that much fruit you might even throw up because for one bananas are so filling. She’s happy, her baby is healthy and she still has her figure so kudos to her

• Jane Public

April 8, 2014 at 6:42 pm

The world is coming to an end when kim kardashian is now used as an example. because she was called that and no one said anything now means it is okay to call a pregnant woman a whale. Who is kim kardashian? It is totally inexcusable to call ANY pregnant woman a whale. Of all the times you can be condescending to anyone who is not slim, you can’t draw the line at a pregnant woman. Oh my goodness, what kind of person are you who thinks it is okay to use that term. It is like calling a baby ugly. Am I allowed to call your baby ugly if i feel he/she is. After all not all babies are facially appealing, so if your child is ugly, am I allowed to say so, and tell you hey own it Mama, your kid is freaking ugly. You may say it is not the baby’s fault he/she is ugly but hey have you considered that not all women who blow up in pregnancy are eating through their entire fridge. Coming from someone who has experienced the miracle of pregnancy, you are a very sad person.

22. wendy

April 8, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Goodluck to all these people coming back with hot mama! i got my flat stomach back in 2 two days…. what ever rock their boat….i will just t continue to eat right, walk miles, etc and dont go crazyyyy……..

23. Di

April 8, 2014 at 6:55 pm

24. Di

April 8, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Some women will say and do anything to be approved by men and society. Nothing wrong with experimenting something new but I doubt if she did this for herself. Clearly the crave to be approved, otherwise this shouldn’t be on the media. If men conjured tomorrow that big women were their preference, you’ll see this same ladies eating a whole damn cow over night and singing about how nutritious it is for their pregnancy.

25. OmoMakun

April 8, 2014 at 7:13 pm

All in all, she had a very healthy baby at the end of the day. How she chooses to live her life is really up to her, unless it put the baby’s health in danger and obviously it didn’t. #EndOfStory

26. Cool cat

April 8, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Calling a baby ugly is totally different from saying a pregnant woman looks like a whale. Obviously one can take the criticism while the other doesn’t even know what us happening. If people poked fun at me and I WAS COMFORTABLE with that, how does it make me a sad person? Calling a woman a whale during pregnancy is no different from condemning the woman in question or calling her psychotic. If someone calls you a whale, you can either chose to cry about it or tell them whales are cute too. According to you it started with Gisele, kim kardashain was called a whale (you claim not to know her, use google)and it won’t be the last. And yes, the end times are near!

• Jane Public

April 9, 2014 at 10:55 am

Nope, it isn’t totally different. In both cases both of them cannot totally control how their features would turn out. Another person can try the same thing that she did and still be bloated and fat. Bottom line, it is not cool to call a pregnant woman a whale for any reason. Whether you are comfortable with that is not the point, that word should not be used. It is like calling a black person negro. I am sure some would not mind, after all hey they are black. Still, it doesn’t make it right. Or calling a physically challeneged person a cripple. We have to be careful of the words that we use. It is not good to stick on derogatory labels on people. Permit me to pelase call your comprehension skills to question. It did not start with Giselle Bundchen and read this next bit slowly. i.e. no one called giselle bundchen a whale, she was the one that called pregnant women whales. She used those exact words this woman used. She even went further by saying, just because you are pregnant doesn’t mean you turn your mouth into a dustbin. How rude. For someone who isn’t particularly high on the IQ scale, how would she feel if we called all models dumb and stupid. As for Kim Kardashian, again I am calling your comprehension skills to question. In the context I typed Who is Kim Kardashian, if you understood the sentence I typed before that, you would have known that, that sentence did not mean I don’t know who Kim Kardashian is. English Comprehension 101 over. Any questions?

• J

April 10, 2014 at 11:26 pm

I agree with you but Giselle actually has a very high IQ ooo. She’s a savvy business woman and speaks 5 languages I think.

• obitalk

June 26, 2014 at 11:31 am

dear Jane public your argument was making sense until you said something about calling a black person a negro, pls and pls, black people are Negros just has white people are Caucasians, these are just racial types. it is nigga that is considered a bad word, so just becaus there was slavery some yes back, people shud stop calling races.

27. T.S.

April 8, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I wonder what her doctor thought of the diet. Did he approve of it? Eating fruits alone does not seem healthy to me. I personally would not go that fair. Why even diet during a pregnancy? Granted, the old tale of eat for two is definitely not healthy and not advised but sticking to fruits only? I would not consider that healthy as well. I’m glad her baby turned out well (he is still young, we don’t know the long term effect). I wish her and the baby well.

Bellanaija – I would like you all to do a feature on rapid weight loss right after pregnancy. I’m seeing a growing trend of women in a hurry to lose pregnancy weight right after birth (in less than 3 months). No one is addressing the disadvantages of doing this – such a major reduction in breast milk supply which is the best thing you can give your child. Looking forward to reading about this.

titisule.com

• T.S.

April 8, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I missed the part that said she had adopted the diet way before pregnancy. As long as her doctor approved of it, then its all good.

• Donald-Landon

April 8, 2014 at 10:37 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong in eating just fruits and vegetable. You can get ALL your needed nutrients and rich antioxidants from them. My mum has been a vegan for more than 3 decades and she was when she had my three sisters. They all were very healthy when they were born. I have been a vegan for most of my life and my wife has been a vegan all her life and we have a very healthy daughter. You don’t have to eat meat and all kinds to get all your needed nutrients. Also, if you check Loni Jane Anthony’s tumblr or blog you would realize that she has been a vegetarian for more than a decade so she didn’t just start this idea. It was already part of her. The only new thing is she became public.

• Chezi

April 9, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Hmmmm…..I agree with u but not in naija were fruits r extremely expensive. That kind of diet may not be achievable for everyone. The best is to eat healthy & probably not consume a lot of carbs.

28. nene

April 8, 2014 at 10:04 pm

it’s a sad news to hear that women “diet” even during pregnancy. any one who does that has insecurities. i can understand a model or actress who is doing that since their industry is more looks-oriented. but a normal woman doing this is just sad, i can imagine what her husband/boyfriend is thinking. the world is really superficial and it sucks!

29. LIKE SERIOUSLY

April 8, 2014 at 10:19 pm

i like her style jare.Its something I can definitely consider if i have another child walahi but that is serious money oooo cos cost of fruits no be here oooo. Some women sef can be in denial, if your gluttony and cravings will not allow you to do it, don’t criticize another.

30. Stephanie

April 9, 2014 at 5:59 am

wow…she tried oh
    blogsvila.blogspot.com

31. Maureen Muoneke

April 9, 2014 at 8:19 am

Eating a balanced, nutritious combination of foods during pregnancy is important for the normal development of the fetus and can also have an impact on your baby’s long-term health.

32. Bella

April 9, 2014 at 10:14 am

I cant even comment o. But this is something else, if she is a vegan, fruitarian etc, then good for her but I know that we all strive for perfection at some point , lets keep in mind the line of extremity. For her the baby is fine and so is she, if it works foryou good, if not also good, don’t knock what you don’t look or understand, each to his own! personally name calling women Whales is wrong and I think she has major self esteem issues to even bring that word into play in a situation of pregnancy. Period!

33. Que.....glad to have my avatar back!

April 9, 2014 at 1:13 pm

U ‘ve mostly said it….I dont know about the cavemen, but going thru her diet summary, it doesnt sound like starvation to me….20bananas a day is A LOTTT… I dont know how much food a baby needs, but whatever diet you choose, if it isnt denying the body of d nutrients it needs to keep baby and mummy healthy n alive, then I dont see d headache… my only concern would have been if either was being deliberately endangered for aesthetic purposes….. cos her diet was nutrient packed!!! And the baby looks anything but malnourished…..
    my normal diet has some similarities to this-I love blended foods-smoothies/soups, etc n always mixing n things, of course my nigerian tastebuds welcome occassional carbs but not in large quantities at all, I’m talking eating semo like 3times a year…. so will I suddenly do a 180 when I get pregnant, time will tell, but I sure as hell will be on top of mu nutrition so it doesnt get out of hand or become something I will struggle to recover from.

34. cisca

April 9, 2014 at 8:20 pm

If it contains all the nutrients the baby needs, then its fine.

35. Cool cat

April 9, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Oh boy, I actually feel really insulted. It’s not fair to call people’s comprehension skills to question. How about people who have dyslexia, or whose parents could not afford school fees? Goshhhh, that’s so insensitive. But wait o, aren’t whales cute?

36. mag3

May 27, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Your body will normally tell you what you need during pregnancy. I’ve known vegetarians who have started craving and eating meet during pregnancy. It looks as if she must have been doing something right as Loni and baby look healthy enough.