Music

Kelis Still Haunted by “Disgusting Nigerian” & N-Word Comment

Kelis_in_Jewel_by_Lisa-5

Three (3) years ago, “Milkshake” singer Kelis went on a Twitter rant sharing with her thousand of followers that she was called a “disgusting Nigerian” and the N-word at a Spanish airport while holding her son.

The American singer claimed that a 50-year old British man said she was a “probably a disgusting Nigerian” for allegedly jumping a queue at passport control.

In an interview with NME Magazine, the 34-year old says she has “no words” to describe the “absolute outrage” towards the man.

“That situation really brought me back to a reality that I have not been reminded of in a long time. No-one (ever) approaches me like I’m just some n***er – not that there’s any such thing – but some people have their own perceptions of who’s valuable and who isn’t.’‘ she says.

Kelis also tells the publication that “the British would rather ignore things and pretend they don’t exist, which is ironic, because I would never have thought such problem existed that this man not been yelling at me”.

See the tweets from 2011.

Kelis - BN Music - April 2014 - BellaNaija 01Kelis - BN Music - April 2014 - BellaNaija 02Kelis - BN Music - April 2014 - BellaNaija 03

Not only is it sad that he used the N-word, but it is quite shocking that he is calling her a “disgusting Nigerian”.

1. bimpe

April 8, 2014 at 7:20 pm

It’s the world we live in. A lot of us are still very ignorant. As for me I would have given him a dirty slap and if he decides to sue me I will bring in a counter suit, with witnesses. Don’t think the court will favour him much. However, in situations like that in reality a lot of us will just be quiet as we will in shock that such disgust still exists

• Anon

April 8, 2014 at 8:30 pm

You do know that slapping is a form of assault.

• bimpe

April 8, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Maybe you should read my comment again. Except of course you need spec savers. I did say i will bring in a counter suit

• JT

April 9, 2014 at 2:45 am

Stupid idea, the slap

2. Concerned9ja

April 8, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Some do try it on!!…Didn’t no one inform Kelis?? …it’s the common as muck English that go on those cheap package holidays to Spain…a bit mean to sound elitist but just saying the truth!!

3. OEC

April 8, 2014 at 8:45 pm

I moved from the US to the UK almost almost two years ago, and before then aside from living in Nigeria, I have lived in white dominated societies, gone to white schools where I was the only black girl. Living in America has made me aware of how racial tensions cannot be swept under the rug – and it does not depend on which race, whether black, asian, latino or hispanic. The truth is that in the UK, there is a smokescreen of ignorance that is tolerable. I do not talk like some uneducated woman, so when I speak, people are shocked or turn heads. Idiots like the pig that insulted Kelis exist, and we cannot help but let them be. Africans/Blacks, keep on succeeding to disapprove accepted norms and stereotypes of black people. The fact that people lack character and are so insecure that they think they can discredit and belittle someone because of their race? Weak. Get a life.

4. nene

April 8, 2014 at 9:48 pm

the man has probably had some bad interactions with nigerians (who hasn’t?) and we all know how nigerians do not regard queues, they just don’t. being black is a chore but hey…life goes on.

• Jo!

April 9, 2014 at 2:52 am

Please don’t ever make such generalisations, ever again. I ALWAYS regard queues even more so when I’m not in the country, because everyone expects me to “act African”, I consciously don’t. Nothing excuses that kind of behaviour. Nothing!

• Jo!

April 9, 2014 at 2:53 am

And this is an excuse/explanation for him? Really???????

• Person

April 9, 2014 at 10:49 am

Seriously?!!! Please don’t ever say that again! It is usually these white people jumping queues at Murtala Muhammed just because they are white!!! And jumping queues excuses his ignorance and RACISM?!

5. Lola

April 8, 2014 at 9:53 pm

What she said is true , in Britain people turn a blind eye or they just dont want to accept that racism exist . They see racism as what happened during the civil right movements and slavery . Everything else we r just playing the race card or we have a chip on our shoulder . The racism in Britain is very subtle , as in it’s more to so with the system and not (well most of the time anyway) obvious .

6. annon10

April 9, 2014 at 12:24 am

Why is she complaining? While it’s hurtful, she caused it. Why would she jump the line and why does she expect anyone to defend her? Does she have two heads? If others where in line, why didn’t she stand in line like the others? Serves her right! And idiots like her perpetuate these stereotypes. I was in Nigeria recently and I flew about 6 times AND YES! I saw “important” folks jumping lines and not having their bags checked. It is disgusting!

7. Stephanie

April 9, 2014 at 5:56 am

Who is she?
    blogsvila.blogspot.com

• CarliforniaBawlar

April 9, 2014 at 8:49 am

See question!! Abi shey Shooshi Deeper Life lon lo ni?? hehehehe. Maybe you weren’t making ‘milkshakes’ back in the early 2000’s sha…in that case,you just dated yourself . Its one of the above or I totally missed the sarcasm 🙂

• whocares

April 9, 2014 at 9:32 am

LOOOOOL. Oh I love you, I do, I do.. I am not going to waste time raining insults and curses on the man..Too many ignorant people in this world.

8. CarliforniaBawlar

April 9, 2014 at 8:56 am

xyz

9. Africhic

April 9, 2014 at 9:41 am

Should have just stayed on the queue!

• Person

April 9, 2014 at 10:52 am

What queue?! She had a child on her hip. You do know that in all airports all over the world, families with small children and elderly ALWAYS have priority boarding? And Passport control isn’t that much different?

10. Fumesflakes.blogspot.com

April 9, 2014 at 10:59 am

A lot of ignorant people(white) exist. A white man worked into my office with a Nigerian one day while i was writing and the Nigerian commented about me being a “south pole”, saying i must be brilliant and creative and the white man retorted that how can he say that. i smiled and jokingly listed a couple of left handed people i considered brilliant including Obama. You wouldn’t believe what this man said next, (in a matter of fact tone) “Oh you know Obama? ok i agree you’re brilliant”. I felt really insulted.

• Choi

April 9, 2014 at 1:44 pm

*walked*

• Laface

April 10, 2014 at 7:38 am

Please tell me you DID say something in return to the Idiot… Please..!