News

“We Will Sacrifice Our Lives to Find Our Children” – Parents of Abducted Chibok Girls

Parents of chibok girls search dor their children

Parents of the school girls who were abducted by Boko Haram from Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok, Borno State last Tuesday, have joined search and rescue efforts to save their children.

They have vowed to sacrifice their lives for their children – if that is what it takes to find them.

These brave parents stormed the dreaded Sambisa Forest in Borno State, one of Boko Haram’s hideouts, where it is believed the girls are being held hostage. Many of the parents are alleging that the military has failed to enter the forest and rescue their children, Vanguard reports.

One of the girls’ fathers, Mallam Amos Chiroma, recounted his experience during the search process:

“While we were in the forest with over 200 volunteers who only had cutlasses, bows, arrows and sticks, we came across different make-shift camps suspected to be owned by terrorists.

It is however unfortunate that we had to turn back when we met one good Samaritan in the forest who advised us that it was in our own interest to go back because the area we were approaching in the forest was a dead zone dominated by terrorists.

If soldiers had accompanied us to the forest, we were optimistic that our missing children would have been rescued, or we would be satisfied if we can just see the dead bodies of our daughters,” he said.

Another parent, Mallam Shettima Yau Haruna, expressed that although all are incessantly praying for the safe return of their daughters, prayer alone is not enough. He urged the government and security officials to intensify search efforts.

Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima, has promised to deploy all human and material resources towards the safe release of the missing students.

Photo Credit: theunion.com.ng

1. Nasiru Borno

April 22, 2014 at 11:32 am

This is sad, completely sad. I hope and pray the people, from all religion and all political affiliations will join hands and secure the release of these innocent girls.

2. brownie

April 22, 2014 at 11:47 am

I’m so pissed off and feel so helpless about this situation. When will we start to value human lives in Nigeria? If one child goes missing in other countries,so many resources and manpower are mobilised to find the child. More than 200 girls missing and the Nigerian government isn’t doing anything about this. This is breaking my heart 🙁

• Tetley

April 22, 2014 at 1:21 pm

How sure are you that the Nigerian government aren’t doing something?..They busy galvanising for votes..”Dancing Kurekere” in political rallies and hopping from religious leaders seeking the anointing for a second term..

• jcsgrl

April 22, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I join my prayers with you my dear. I too feel so helpless. May God preserve this children and bring them home safely. As for our govt, I’ve lost all hope in them

3. Aba

April 22, 2014 at 1:09 pm

So what is the President doing about this? This is so sad and hard to bear as a mother, it is my fervent prayer that God will keep this children safe and they will be released without any harm…in Jesus name…Amen

• Tincan

April 22, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Amen. Somehow in my head, I would think the forest ought to be teeming with Nigerian soldiers and police and that the parents would not even be allowed in. You read the article, it sounds like the opposite is the case. Do you guys sometimes think our leaders are deranged? I read these things and I am just baffled…

4. Tetley

April 22, 2014 at 1:37 pm

when i tell people that this government is evil, we may not too understand.
    – a government that is easy to jump on the opposition for their failures (accusing opposition party for the bombing in Abuja when it had refused to provide adequate security for her citizens)
    – going on a political rally barely less than 24 hours after a bomb blasts that killed over 70 citizens.
    – quick to lie about recovering abducted student girls .
    – Easy to spend more money on wedding gold plated phones while our unemployed grads are killed in a money milking recruitment scheme.

And the list goes on but these are only few that has happened within a month..

5. Tetley

April 22, 2014 at 1:48 pm

when i tell people that this government is evil, we may not too understand.
    – quick to lie about recovering abducted student girls .

And the list goes on but these are only few that has happened within a month..
    Just like Micheal Jackson sang, “they don’t really care about us”..Please if they can’t give 100% care to the citizens, they should at least provide between 10-40%..

It is high time, we changed this government.

6. Tinu

April 22, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Nigeria is not a country. Where in the world would 200, I repeat 200 people be abducted and nothing is done by the authorities to find them? Instead they lie that some had been found. Lie?? Can you imagine that? Just goes to show the contempt they hold us in. How can they lie about finding the girls? Did they think we wouldn’t find out? Nope, they just don’t gibe a damn and they know they will get away with it. Chai, Jesus Christ what kind of jungle is this we are living in? As in, why are people not screaming in protest about this? We should all be out there making ourselves heard. But of course everyone is afraid to die. Because what they would do is just fire bullets at us for speaking out. God please deliver me from this country. The first opportunity I have to leave I am out of this hell hole. People can call me whatever name they want, but until we accept that this place is a time bomb waiting to explode na so we go de live like animals. I cannot stop crying. This is sad too too sad. People dying everyday on our death trap roads. Driving along and seeing a dead body on the road is a norm in this country. Bombs go off, people are blown up and nothing is done even to help the aftermath of the situation. Families of the dead have reported that they had to pay for care in hospitals. Parents of abducted girls entering bush to find their children. That place should have been cordoned off and only authorized personnel allowed access to conduct their search. HOW CAN ANYONE SAY THIS IS A COUNTRY???? Yet you will hear them saying ‘Giant of Africa’. Giant my foot. The only thing giant about this country is the madness.

7. Thegirlnextdoor

April 22, 2014 at 2:49 pm

I seriously think the government are even part of this BH sect! I can’t believe they haven’t deployed no army men or even police!
    I’m sureif one of their children were to go missing we won’t hear word…..200 soldiers would have been released to search for one child!
    This is heart-breaking man!
    Who’s even worse BH or the so-called useless kwashiorkor looking palm wine drinking government! Kmt

Upon all the power they have! Seriously may the wrath of God fall upon the government and BH
    And may the peace of God that passes all understanding be upon those girls!
    Finally may God comfort their parents and makes a way for them to find their girls!

I’m so angry…..to think I wna relocate to NG!! Psssh il rather die of tax here

• Tinu

April 22, 2014 at 3:30 pm

My sister please stay were you are. At least when you pay taxes you get a service for it. Here in Naija people will pay taxes and yet still have to pay for everything for themselves privately. Water, electricity, schools. Everything we have to go private if we want something half descent. Talk less of the permanent fear that bombs can go off any time any where. As they have now started bombing in Abuja, nowhere is safe oh. Only God will help us in the place. This is not a country

8. Thegirlnextdoor

April 22, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Even Madeline that has been missing for over how many years! They were looking for that lil girl for over 5 years!1 child talkless of 200

• whocares

April 23, 2014 at 11:35 am

I know right. This story always, without fail makes me so sad. 200 children got kidnapped. HOW! When they are not cattle? Even farmers will tell you herding a cattle of 200 is hard work talk less of being able to kidnap 200 children just like that! Now the authorities are aware of where they are.. surely they interviewed the other girls that escaped, and now they have another investigative lead, but no one is doing anything. It frustrates and angers me so much!

9. ivie

April 22, 2014 at 4:17 pm

The price we pay for being Nigerian…Ahh I feel so helpless!!! Can’t imagine what the parents are going through nor the fate of innocents girls.

• ivie

April 22, 2014 at 4:18 pm

*innocent Girls

10. Tetley

April 22, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Tinu, my dear sister..This is Nigeria for you..Do you expect much from a president that chose to have a debate with Dbanj, rather than other presidential candidates?
    After all, some association of “i know my pocket only” celebrities will come out to sing praises on the government and clamor for their second term.

So who’s deceiving who?..when celebrities who are closer to the people cannot come out with one voice and sing against the government..

This government is trying to divide the nation on religious and tribal bigotries and sentiments.

This government is part of the Boko Haram sponsors.

Lets tell ourselves the truth and no more hypocrisy.

11. williams

April 22, 2014 at 5:36 pm

i pray that may God keep them safe and preserve their lifes and pray that may all of them return to their respective parents because Nigeria Govt hv more then failed Nigerians in all perspectives..May God Save them all