News

Adieu…Author/Poet Maya Angelou Dies at 86

BellaNaija.com

Maya Angelou - May 2014 - BellaNaija.com
Breaking News.

The world has lost a giant. Award winning American author, poet, and civil rights activist Dr. Maya Angelou is dead. She was 86.

Winston-Salem Mayor Allen Joines confirmed Angelou was found by her caretaker on Wednesday morning. According to reports she had been failing in health.

One of her most famous quotes is “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

Rest in Peace…

1. Tosin

May 28, 2014 at 3:15 pm

noooooooooooooooooo!
    That was a WOMAN sha.
    Got to know her through Angel Oprah.
    Got to know Oprah through Angel Tope.
    God bless you all.

2. Warri Babe

May 28, 2014 at 3:16 pm

“Success is liking yourself, liking what you do and liking how you do it” – Maya Angelou #RIP It’s hard but I won’t be sad because she lived a good life, inspired others through it and her poems were so up-lifting…#Impact

3. Ibinabo

May 28, 2014 at 3:16 pm

May her beautiful soul rest in peace!

4. @edDREAMZ

May 28, 2014 at 3:29 pm

She is really an achiever, may her soul R.I.P…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

5. Fifi

May 28, 2014 at 3:40 pm

phenomenol WOMAN RIP

6. Felinda1

May 28, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Awwwwwwwww, She has been on my mind all month of May, is like i even saw her in my dream. I just felt it. may she rest in perfect peace. I hope she died peacefully with family and loved ones around her. And we will also say She lived a good life and was a great woman. She was like my grandmother i never had. So full of wisdom. I am going to youtube to play her poet she did at Bill Clintons inauguration

She was a great great great Woman

Rest in Peace

(i may even name my first daughter after her “Maya”)

7. KemiSho

May 28, 2014 at 3:45 pm

RIP,Maya.
    Your life did count for something.

8. xoxo

May 28, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Oh nooo!!!! I was thinking about her yesterday, ‘cos i went to the library and i was just reading through some of her books. I was so awed by her writing, and thinking of how she has impacted this world with her words. Then, I clicked on Bellanaija to find out she died this morning, we’ve lost an icon!!
    Adieu Maya!! Rest in Peace!!

9. Ekwitosi

May 28, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Ms Angelou was such an inspiration and I love reading all her writings and hearing her pass down her wisdom. She will be greatly missed! RIP

10. Ready

May 28, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Ms. Angelou. 86 is old but I wasn’t ready. Her words, though it’s been long since I read them, will always stay with me. This woman was strong; she was raped at about 8 by her mother’s boyfriend but she spoke up and he was tried for his crime. She wrote her memoir at a time when almost no Black woman was deemed worthy of a memoir…such poignant and piercing words. Martin Luther King Jr. died on her 40th birthday, and she continued to describe in unflinching words the inhumanity of the Jim Crow era. Her contributions will be missed.

11. truth

May 28, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Iya rere, rest in peace. Rest in peace from the memories of pain, rest in peace from your weak and frail body. Rest in peace from the troubles of life. Rest in peace and meet your Creator just like you stated in the last tweet you sent some days ago – ‘Listen to yourself and in that quietude you might hear the voice of God’. Rest in peace just like you gave, rest in peace and remember to pray for us all left here on this planet filled with so much strife and pain.

You were such an inspiration to us all, Oh how the caged bird sings mama, it is still singing and will continue to sing after you. However the caged bird knows someone else knows why it sings and this is so comforting for her. May we have more like you as the years go by, who can awaken our inner conscience and being to the pains and trails of others. Iya rere rest in peace!

12. Cocobutter

May 28, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Rest in peace Maya Angelou, we have indeed lost an icon, thanks for giving us such great poems like, “And still I rise”, “I know why the caged bird sings” and others…. You would be sorely missed, rest in peace ma.

13. Mz Socially Awkward...

May 28, 2014 at 11:59 pm

No! 🙁 I can’t believe that’s her voice gone for good. What a legendary black woman who made her words speak from so many of our hearts. I’m praying that her rest is with The Lord.