News

Tunde Bakare: “I Was Embarassed by the Utterances of the First Lady” | Watch

Tunde Bakare Bella Naija

Like many Nigerians, Tunde Bakare is exasperated by Patience Jonathan’s infamous “There is God” speech

In a recent interview conducted by Sahara Reporters, Bakare expressed his displeasure with the First Lady’s utterances and with the manner in which the Nigerian government is handling the Boko Haram situation.

Watch the interview here:

Video Credit: Sahara Reporters

1. Smyl4me

May 14, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Seriosly i am embarassed as a true nigerian. Such rhetorical blunder emanating from the mouth of a First Lady of the Largest black nation in the world.

I thought there is a crash course being offeredp to would be Firstlady of any level of government Position.

Our dearest Mrs Jonathan definitedly didnt finish the course. I concur that She should be place on hold from speaking in public function until she got her act and decorum right.

Before you feminist begin to lash out at me with your vocal repertoire, I am not against her, She is still my president wife and i respect that but her public presentation is out of it

2. Mzreeny

May 14, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Abeg park well jor. What’s all the noise about? Do not forget to add qualifications for the office of the First Lady and even conduct primaries for wives of presidential candidates in 2015. Don’t come and be blocking our ears. So because Jonathan is president then he should throw his wife away for a learned one?

• NYK

May 14, 2014 at 8:17 pm

No she can very well speak in pidgin or any other local language and get it interpreted.
      Apart from this, even if she got all her tenses, did she make sense
      If the Head of Market women in the village was interviewed she wont speak good English but she will make lots of sense

• Dlapikin

May 14, 2014 at 8:23 pm

No he should tell her where her place is. the first lady has no official status so she has no right nor power to summon any official and give press conference. So she does not have to, then if she feels she must let her carry herself in a way not to embarrass herself, her husband and the country. When sandyhook happened, michelle obama sent messages to the families and attended funerals; she never summoned any security or school officials because she does not have that power.

• Tari

May 14, 2014 at 9:09 pm

I completely agree with you…

3. Nene Morgan

May 14, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Nna Biko we follow you to dey embarrassed. Meanwhile some idiots will be given a microphone only to speak on how “the leaders were not slow to act, etc etc…” and we continue to kiss their respective yanshes. Very disgusting leadership in this country. More disgusting are we the citizens!

…and aunty Bella, please it is “embarrassed”

4. Sexxie

May 14, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Lol! We were all embarrassed…I’m sure even GEJ was too.

5. nini

May 14, 2014 at 7:23 pm

EXACTLY!!!!

6. Ozi

May 14, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Even people wey no sabi speak English sef dey embarrased. Nigerians sabi form level wey dem no reach, every Naija person don turn English teacher…..Lol!!!!!

7. c'est moi

May 14, 2014 at 8:02 pm

It is simply ridiculous reading all of your comments and even more ridiculous is a supposed ‘spiritual head’ making such derogatory statements! How can you come on media to say you are ‘embarrassed’ by your First Lady’s utterances because fo her grammar, not that she didn’t make sense and even go further to comparing her with Mrs Obama? I find it very disturbing that a so-called man of God will make such utterances especially to the general public! Nigerians generally hate their own! We’d rather feign British English than talk like we’d normally do behind closed doors! Yes, the First Lady’s grammar was wrong but how many of your mothers are educated? Are you ashamed of them? It is these market women, our mothers who break their backs, swallow their pride and devote their entire lives to make it possible for you and I to be educated. If because you are educated today, you are embarrassed by them, then I have no words for you. All of you who claim perfect English, please apply for a degree in the UK, our very own colonial masters, if you wouldn’t require an English Proficiency test!
    This woman obviously doesn’t speak perfect English but that doesn’t make her dumb! English is not a determinant of a sound mind! She was enquiring intelligent questions which ought to be raised and I did not hear anything from Mr Bakare before then! You all should carry your English and go and sit down please and stop making a big deal out of it! How many of your mothers speak perfect English? English is not our mother tongue hence we require an English proficiency test to settle or even attend a British school so stop laying claims to something that isn’t yours. If you love Mrs Obama so much, move to the US and leave Nigeria for those who would proudly stand for their own!
    I feel very pained reading these comments! And NO, Mr Jonathan is definitely not embarrassed by his wife! She is his wife who has been there through thick and thin irrespective of her grammar.
    If you feel she should be hidden from public eye or making statements because of her grammar, it shows how shallow we can be as humans! She even makes effort to speak the so-called English that is your big deal! If she were my mum, I’ll tell her to stick to her local dialect proudly because that is who we are! NIGERIANS NOT British!

• mujer

May 15, 2014 at 1:37 am

Not a Pashay fan but I concur and likey

• NYK

May 15, 2014 at 7:42 am

This is not about English
      It is about mkaing sense
      Please explain what she was trying to say
      Did she even ask anything about the children?
      Just querying someone for not responding to her call on time.
      Why was she crying? Defintely not because of the children ………
      Please explain to us what she actually meant

• ifeanyi

May 15, 2014 at 8:23 am

God bless you c’est moi reading all wrote shows we still have good nigerians who think and understand values.what will a man of God gain in bad mouthing another man how much more the 1st lady of a nation.i wish he could read all this and cover his face shame.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

May 15, 2014 at 10:39 am

c’est moi, I’m not quite sure what you’re asking in the first paragraph – “Yes, the First Lady’s grammar was wrong but how many of your mothers are educated?”. Patience IS educated. I think that’s why a lot of flack is coming her way. It’s one thing for the whole country to accept Jonathan’s wife as not being formally trained and realizing the limitations she may have in that area but it is very common knowledge that this woman has a University Degree AND used to lecture.

So, let me ask you honestly:- if this was a teacher or tutor who was presented to enable the education of your children, would you gladly accept her shortcomings with the ready excuse in your mind that, “well, after all, not every Nigerian woman is educated so we should just take her as we find her”?

I do agree that it doesn’t look good for a supposed Pastor to be mouthing off publicly like this but please don’t raise the same mistaken asssertion I’ve been seeing repeatedly on social media which claims that many of our elderly mothers aren’t educated. Nigerian parents are probably more educated than most, particularly because many of them were blessed to have attended the national universities and secondary schools when those institutions were in their heydays of optimum efficiency. Heck, I know people’s grandmothers who hold respectable degrees …

• c'est moi

May 15, 2014 at 11:39 am

@nyk, its unfortunate she didn’t make sense to you. Apparently she was enquiring the whereabouts of the people who were supposed to be responsible for the missing girls at the time of the attack and why they were not present at the meeting
      @mz socially awkward, I do not know if she is educated or anything about her educational history, if she is, then it speaks volumes of our educational system! Truth is, many Nigerian women 50 and over are not educated while their husbands are because most of them actually sponsored their husbands through school. My point is, this issue is being overflogged! If people have an issue with her language, don’t blame her but blame the system as she is a product of the system! I know a couple of grandmothers myself who speak beautifully but truth is, how many in a hundred? They are only a privileged few. Nigeria has tons of problems and I do not think Mrs Jonathan’s grammar is one of them, only an evidence of one! Making a caricature of her especially on media doesn’t solve any issue but rather, distracts us from the issue @ hand! She has expressed her opinions the best way she can, can everyone please move on? She is not the President and so has no educational qualification pre-requisites to fulfil. So what I’m saying is First, I am disappointed at Mr Bakare because this should’t be the issue in the first place to address and even worse still, attempting to compare her to Mrs Obama??? That’s sad. Secondly, English is an adopted language which most of us sadly put first before our local dialects. I am also guilty of this and living in the UK has taught me better. With the Oga at the top video, it’s justifiable that that issue was raised to show our short-comings but with this, we are just making jest of a woman because of her grammar and that is not fair! To all those working in oil companies who have expatriate bosses, I’m sure most of them speak horrible grammar but you still admire them and even try to speak like them because they are white! If Mrs Jonathan was a white woman from a non-English speaking country and she did the same thing, this exposure we are giving to this video wouldn’t be the case

• Jane Public

May 15, 2014 at 11:04 am

Sorry, my mother speaks perfect English and so did her mother before her and the one before her. If my mother is not qualified to speak on a topic, even with her perfect English she will sit down and say nothing so as to not come across as dumb and disgrace herself. Patience had no business calling any stupid press conference. I thought she was supposed to be a teacher. See how the crazy country runs when people who are not qulaified are put in positions they have no business in. It is not by force to talk o. Yes we can compare her to Michelle. We should be able to aspire for better for ourselves and not accept mediocrity.

• Jane Public

May 15, 2014 at 11:58 am

typo – *qualified

• Ready

May 15, 2014 at 12:11 pm

C’est moi, your indignation is misplaced. As Ms SA said, she is educated; in fact, she is a Permanent Secretary in a Ministry in Bayelsa state. No, she’s not the President, but she deemed it fit to assemble the Nigerian flag and other flags, and conduct her own fact-finding mission. It did not have to be done on television.
      Further, she was the wife of the Deputy Governor, Governor, and now 5 year-president of Nigeria. She is a shining example of someone who refuses to improve herself because with all the opportunities that those offices provided her, she could be much more polished. SO, NO, I refuse to kowtow when people like you say that this issue has been overflogged. Patience Jonathan’s problem is not as a result of the system, it is because she belongs to a group of people who enjoy the largesse of their position but refuse to better themselves. Similar to the teacher in Edo state who can’t read and the Oga at the top man, instances like this should be prolonged for as long as possible. Mediocrity will no longer be accepted by the Nigerian people.
      P.S. Up till the mid-late 80s, education in Nigeria was good. SAP and other destabilization forces (thanks to oil) didn’t have a huge manifested effect until that period, so yes, Patience should understand good English.

• c'est moi

May 15, 2014 at 1:07 pm

@Ready, I totally get you. I attended one of the best secondary schools in Port Harcourt. Whilst I was still a student there, a Further Maths teacher came on board. Now this man’s grammar was quite appalling and student s used to make fun of him but he was good! When I mean good, he wasn’t only knowledgeable of the subject which he taught, he was good at impacting it. I think about it now and wonder if people should be discredited because of their grammar especially when I had to take a proficiency test to prove I could communicate in English to get admitted in a UK university! Every British man can speak English perfectly because English is their language but it’ll shock you how many of them can write good English. That’s because most of them are not educated but I can tell you they are well employed and very successful because they have good experience and are intelligent irrespecpective of their lack of a formal degree. One of the problems with Nigeria is lack of acceptance of key skills and handwork and promotion of only formal education! I do not know Mrs Jonathan neither am I in support of most of her husband’s take on problems in Nigeria. I do not think that her lack of grammatical prowess means she doesn’t want to develop herself for different people have different areas of their life they feel they should develop which should be their personal decision. I still say that her grammar shouldn’t be a cause of national concern neither should it be grounds for disrespect. That’s my opinion.

• c'est moi

May 15, 2014 at 1:24 pm

yeah, i might as well add that all the students who sat for Further Maths in my set, not much but yeah, they all got an A and are grateful to this teacher. Mind you, my French teacher was from France and could barely speak English and my Hausa teacher would rather you communicated via Hausa to him than English. Again my point is grammar is not a determinant of one’s intellectual ability and shouldn’t be. A fish, a bird and a lion shouldnt be put on land to compete for a race. the lion will obviously win but that doesnt mean that the bird and fish are no good. that’s what formal education does and that’s the imbalance western regions have identified and done justice to. I rest my case

• Lisa London

May 16, 2014 at 11:43 am

First and foremost, she is an embarrassment and disgrace to our educational system. She supposedly has 2 masters degrees, was a secondary school teacher/lecturer yet still talks & presents herself like an illiterate!. The same applies to her unintelligible and inept husband.

Even your post implies that you thought she was uneducated, now you now otherwise. Pray tell, what does that say for our educational system? In case you forgot, students are taught in the official language of the country: ENGLISH.

• Miss J

May 17, 2014 at 12:31 am

Who’s this one? I don’t know about others but my mother can speak very good English and besides, she’s not the president’s wife. If she can’t communicate well in English, she should consider speaking her local dialect and getting an interpreter. She’s a disgrace!

8. smiles

May 14, 2014 at 8:02 pm

well articulated and well said. yorubas get wisdom abeg…so different and tact in thoughts and actions

9. c'est moi

May 14, 2014 at 8:09 pm

BellaNaija, please post my comment!!!!

• Anon

May 15, 2014 at 12:04 am

My Mum speaks perfect English and is educated, when she got older and my siblings and I had finished school, after she raised us up as a single parent when our father passed away, she made it her duty to go back to school and study, she then went on and did her Masters at 56, no knowledge is lost. I came home one day to find my Mum battling with pivot tables on excel. I also taught another lady whose husband works in a government office how to read and write, she was desperate to learn. the fact is, this lady has the means to improve, yet nothing has been done about it. We are not asking for a Harvard graduate.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

May 15, 2014 at 10:50 am

Props to your mum. I have absolutely no idea what an Excel pivot table even is. We honestly need to stop making excuses for shortcomings in this country, I don’t know when it suddenly became alright for us to not aspire to better.

• Jane Public

May 15, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Thank you. This sweeping generalisations people make to cover up shortcomings in the wacked Nigerian system irritates me. I can count as far back as 3 generations of women in my family (not counting myself) that were very well educated, so please. At that level of public position, there is room to improve. There should be room to improve and not just accept that first lady of Nigeria can humiliate herself and the entire country like that. See me talking sef, her husband is the Chief humiliator. Someone steals money it will be, sheybi other people still too, the person only stole 1 billion when Obasanjo stole 10 billion. Say it as it is. If it walks like duck, talks like a duck, looks like a duck, it is a freaking duck.

• Alex

May 15, 2014 at 4:19 am

It is not ridiculous. He wasn’t trying to ridicule her in anyway. He made a point I think she should adopt. That was a formal forum with cameras everywhere. She should keep it formal! Imagine my American classmate asking me if that was my presidents wife. I could only bury my head in shame. There’s just no defense for how she spoke. You defending her Is the kind of mediocrity we allow that eventually keeps ruining us as a people. Whatever you do, do well!

• c'est moi

May 15, 2014 at 12:21 pm

@Anon, kudos to your mum! There are not many like her and different people have different circumstances. Besides, not everyone has brain for books and it’s unfortunate that Nigeria doesn’t make room for such people as only paper degree is appreciated. @Alex, he obviously ridiculed her especially when he compared her to Mrs Obama. Yes it is a formal forum and should be kept formal but emotions took over which is very typical of an African woman! I know you want to impress your American classmate! Well, look for another means to. My defending her is not mediocrity! Something is made an issue only when the immediate community represented makes it an issue! I am sure the international community would have overlooked this if we had faced more pressing issues! You were expecting a more polished and rehearsed performance, please I ask you, where has all the performances from politicians carried us to? I thought that what would be an issue was the Presidents opinion that corruption wasn’t a problem in Nigeria, only common theft. I found that statement very disturbing! But No! Nigerians are more interested in Mrs Jona’s grammar like if she were more polished Nigeria will be a better place! The likes of you love appearances with no depth and that is why you were embarrassed while with your colleagues. It’s a very simple situation, if they ask you, what is she saying, you simply explain the overwhelming situation and move on! We have issues in Nigeria! Mr’s Jona’s grammar isn’t one of them.

• Commentrina

May 16, 2014 at 12:17 am

@c’est moi so we like appearances without depth. Ok please where was the depth in the first lady’s utterances?

So if someone asks what she’s saying, we simply explain the overwhelming situation? Sorry how is that an answer to a question asking what she said.

Truth is she said a whole lot of nothing! And made a mockery of herself while doing it.

It may be forgiven, but by no means must it be forgotten. Let’s tackle mediocrity in every possible angle. Maybe accountability will finally set in if people know they have to think before they speak.

It’s a start.

10. Amazingnaija.com

May 14, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Woow…..#thanks #bella #firsttime in this #site

• Commentrina

May 16, 2014 at 12:01 am

You need lessons on hashtag usage.

#YourOwnIsTooMuch

11. Nneoma

May 14, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Some of una wey sabi speak english go still write english exam fail…most student i know are still writing waec because them not fit pass english exam, una can speak yet cannot write and pass, make una leave mama peace alone we have more problems in our country than her grammatical blunders….How many of you will be happy seeing your mum be mocked? we love to degrade our first lady smh…

12. Nneoma

May 14, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I meant being mocked.

13. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

May 14, 2014 at 9:18 pm

I C WHAT HE MEANS THOUGH!

14. Soraya

May 14, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Well, as for me, I can’t help thinking Mrs Jonathan has such a sexy and saucy accent- Nollywood beckons after Aso Rock!!!!

15. Me2me

May 14, 2014 at 11:02 pm

And I C wot he means is English?. Comparing the first Lady of your country to someone who does not have the same educational or cultural background, shows that you have issues little twat Tunde. How dare you all come up here and belittle your country, and you wonder why you all are not respected in ours. Have some dignity. And all you human worshippers who still attend this clueless man’s church…. I say to you that you are part of the problem with your country. Please grow some brains

16. Anon

May 15, 2014 at 12:03 am

17. Jamila

May 15, 2014 at 2:36 am

Point of correction: both Nigeria and breakaway Biafra fought the civil war with a LOT OF HELP from other nations – Nigeria, notably Great Britain and her allies, Biafra, notably Israel and Tanzania. Pastor, get your facts right.

18. Andrew

May 15, 2014 at 5:23 am

He has said it all. Give younger people a chance, all these dropouts should get lost.They are all clueless

19. Wifey

May 15, 2014 at 6:11 am

Listen if my mom starts speaking in a way that is embarrassing. As a child, you can bet I will respectfully call her to the side and recommend a better way for her to speak to an audience. It doesn’t mean I am ashamed of her.

I really don’t understand some of these arguments about English. What is so wrong in learning English and learning to speak it well? English is Nigeria’s lingua franca. If you don’t like it then don’t speak English. And don’t stop there … doon’t speak pidgin either. Speak your native language (like Putin) and have an interpreter, there is nothing wrong with that.

For all those who think she should get a pass because English is her second language, what will you do when your child speaks to you with bad grammer? Won’t you correct your child?

And please before you all attack me and look for grammatical errors in my post, save your breath and keystrokes.

To whom much is given, much is expected.

20. mulikat

May 15, 2014 at 6:20 am

Pls first lady,pls dont speak English again in Public, speak any other nigeria Language or pingin, and for this so call Pastor Bakare, u are all same with first lady and rest Nigeria Politics,so close ur mouth,u are not better than them.

21. beee

May 15, 2014 at 7:28 am

2 neoma, I am a law student nd from my own poin of view no 1 is talkin about been mocked here or d firstlady’s grama.all we re sayin here is she couldn’t pass a message across durin her interview.for cryin out loud Nigeria is in a state of distress and people esp women of those children wuld have expected reasonable words,words of comfort and of hope.without dat rubbish she displayed.i culdnt comprehend d msg she pasd across nd I said 2 myself does jonathan nd his wife think dis is a political joke, dat she wuld not prepare herself 4 an interview 2 encourage Nigeria women.if she has spoken in pure pigin or even her native language wit an interpreter Mayb she wuld ve pasd a msg across nd we culd ve listnd.i think d presd nd his wife do not care about dis country,like dey shuld.all dey care about is parading demselves in utter of digrace.God help dis nation.#bring back our girls#

• Commentrina

May 16, 2014 at 12:04 am

@beee please stop this your irritating text speak. Type your words in English please. Your comment has the ability to induce headache, feverishness, aches and pains.

22. Ayo

May 15, 2014 at 10:51 am

To the grammarians in Nigeria, speaking fluent English does it pay yr bill or automatically credit your account? Illiterates are raking in millions with their poor English and u r here ranting rubbish. Somethings are bound to be beyond yr reach and there is little or nothing you can do abut it. If she dint say a word u guys will be the one calling for her head now she has, please let sleeping dogs lie. She mustn’t be flawless as long as anyone can understand what she said. How many General Overseers have come to condemn this sudden madness that has engulfed us??

• Ade

May 15, 2014 at 10:18 pm

This is the exact problem Nigeria has. Individuals who think everything is about money.

• Ayo

May 16, 2014 at 10:38 am

Please try understand my opinion before u comment. Aquya

• Miss J

May 17, 2014 at 12:48 am

Mr Ade Thank you ooo. The corrupt nincompoops!

23. R S

May 15, 2014 at 1:54 pm

The First Lady ought to be able to communicate effectively in English because whether we like to admit it or not English is the national language of Nigeria it is what unites us as a people. No one is asking her to speak like the Queen. It is not about accents ! I understand she has a B. Ed in Biology and Psychology from the University of Port Harcourt and is not an illiterate. How did she get through higher education ? Was her education not conducted in English ? If she is not comfortable speaking English she should speak the language she is versed in and use the services of an interpreter. We, Nigerians, are too accepting of mediocrity. I didn’t vote for her so if she can not conduct herself with decorum in public then she should support her husband behind closed doors. I do not go to my husband’s office to proffer my opinions or summon his staff. There are no provisions in the Nigerian constitution for the office of First Lady. The First Lady is about 9 years older than me so therefore she is not old enough to be my mother and even if she were, I am allowed to have an opinion about the way she presents herself especially as she claims she is representing me. The reason UK University now request a proficiency test is because of the mediocrity that the Nigerian Examination Boards have allowed to creep into the system so when you have a credit in English they still feel the need to check. It is amazing to see Nigerian Universities churning out graduates with despicable written and oral skills. Anyone who presents themselves to the public in an unbecoming manner should expect a level of criticism/ridicule. Yes I agree the focus should still remain #bring back our girls !

24. Wifey

May 15, 2014 at 5:32 pm

@Ayo. People who are illiterate are raking in the money, and people who speak fluent english rake in money. People who are muslims rake in money, and people who are christians rake in money, People who are short rake in money and people who are tall rake in money.
    If your goal is to be an illiterate billionaire, go for it!

• Ayo

May 16, 2014 at 10:40 am

Bla bla bla

25. just passing

May 15, 2014 at 9:46 pm

this cest moi of a person, nawah o..your argument to me lacks content…nigerian people should stop defending mediocrity..it wont get us anywhere.