News

Lekki Neigbours at “War” Over Petrol Station Construction on Admiralty Way

BellaNaija.com

Ascon Oil Station Lekki Bella Naija

A petrol station project currently under construction along Admiralty Way in Lekki Phase 1, Lagos, has been the source of disagreements among some residents in the area.

Some people in the area are opposing the erection of the filling station, while others are in support of it.

Block 36, Plot 10 Admiralty Way, Lekki Peninsula, Lagos is the location where indigenous oil marketing firm, ASCON Oil has elected to build an ultra-modern petrol filling station to serve the estate and adjoining communities.

The disagreements among residents which started with protests and campaigns, escalated when those against the plan to build the filling station in the location instituted a court case at a Lagos High Court.

In their case, they  are petitioning against the construction of the filling station for the following reasons from their perspective:

• The filling station when completed will cause endless traffic congestion in the area, especially during fuel scarcity
  • When completed, the filling station will expose the area to risks of fire outbreak from the petroleum outlet
  • The filling station would make the area targets of armed robbers who may target the daily sales from the station and by extension other neighbours
  • It will pose a threat to lives, health and property in the form of pollution

On the other hand, residents in support of the construction of the station, have also presented their viewpoints on the matter. They reportedly interfaced with the promoters of the proposed filling station and are satisfied with the explanations that ASCON Oil put forward.

Under the aegis of “Concerned Residents of Lekki Phase 1 Estate”  these residents have stated that:

• ASCON Oil service station reportedly says there are going to be four double nozzle pumps capable of handling 8 cars a time and up to 50 cars can be in the station at any given time
  • It is going to be built on 340 square meter piece of land
  • With such operating space it will be rare for traffic to spill over  into the major road during normal operations, because they will be using a model that can handle smooth traffic flow for cars on highway
  • The construction was approved by all relevant government agencies down to the local government level. Thus, approval of the project has been well reasoned by qualified authorities
  • Residents who oppose the plan to build and operate a mega filling station in the area are few and do not represent the interests of the generality of residents of the estate
  • Claims that the filling station poses risk of fire outbreaks is spurious and falls flat on the face of logic

Whether the fillings station project will see the light of day or not now rests with the courts. This is more so as the two cases are now in different courts awaiting adjudication. The first by a section of residents who are opposed to the filling station project, and the second that was instituted by promoters of the petrol filling station project.

***

BellaNaijarians, what’s your take on this issue? If you lived in the Admiralty Way Lekki neighbourhood, would you be in support of the construction of he petrol station, or against it? Let’s talk about it!

1. Cool cat

June 11, 2014 at 7:31 pm

The toll bridge is already causing massive traffic, now a filling station. Lekki will just become rubbish.

• Jane

June 12, 2014 at 8:32 am

Not really. A lot of people have to use the bridge just to get to the nearest filling station, so it will definitely help that there is a nearby station.

2. UJU

June 11, 2014 at 7:35 pm

It is very irresponsible to permit a petrol station within an estate. Highly irresponsible, dangerous and wicked

• Joshua

June 12, 2014 at 9:10 am

I disagree. I live in lekki and sometimes it’s difficult to get diesel to power our generator. I’m sure the guys who want to put the filling station there would take safety into consideration. WE NEED IT PLSSSSSSSS.

3. Chris Ayo Joseph

June 11, 2014 at 8:55 pm

I live on Fola Osibo Road, Lekki Phase 1 and i tell you most times its quite challenging/stressful driving all the way to FO filling station which is suited just at the Lekki round about in search for fuel and sometimes you get there and discover the station is shut down.
    The alternative in most cases is to drive to Oando Filling station close to Jakande or Awolowo, Ikoyi. And you can imagine the traffic on that Jakande road or Ozumba/falomo bridge. In my opinion, constructing a filling station inside Lekki Phase 1, wouldn’t be a bad idea, saves us the stress. But the present location at which the construction is taking place (Tantalizers) might just be creating nuisance.

4. Chloe

June 11, 2014 at 8:58 pm

lekki phase 1 can’t be considered an estate, it has 4 different entry points so it’s easy for robbery/kidnapping and all sorts to happen cos u come in way and go out in 3 other ways….
    That been said I still think phase 1 is one of the safest places to stay in lagos (terms of security).
    Now I can’t say for how long because it’s getting too commercial, the way it’s going by 2016 phase 1 will be like VI, more commercial less residential.
    I do no support this fuelling station, I think Ascon is very greedy and selfish to want to construct their station here. I know it’s good business for them because lekki is a very variable location but No pls.
    Even Tantalisers too they wanna put up a station their. DPR shouldn’t even give these pple permit in the first place I dunno what’s wrong with this country.
    My landlord will Sha refund me if this scales through..

• momoh

June 12, 2014 at 9:54 am

chloe dear don’t worry about gettn ur money back 4m ur landlord, u ll instead buy d aus nd move 2 BI

5. Chloe

June 11, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Where is that lekki residents association guy, shey when a company wanted to put gas plant in an open space in phase1 u pple we’re making noise up and down. Now you wanna let a fuelling station become my neighbour? Mbanu, that’s not the way we do is it?
    I know you guys will be wondering why I carried this matter on my head, but it’s not easy for me na I struggle to pay 900k for my 1 bedroom flat, I just expect to be more comfortable.. Haa
    I know d rich ones will live us and move to ikoyi and Nicon estate, but mehn I no ready leave this area for now cos relocation things dey cost.

• investment

June 12, 2014 at 2:06 am

Sorry for not minding my business o but i’m very concerned in fact worried about the 900k you pay for rent. 1 bedroom house for that matter. please my sister consider moving to a 300k house n save the remaining 600k or invest it. After 4 yrs you’ll have at least 2.4M which can be used as down payment to buy your own little place.

6. deb

June 11, 2014 at 9:07 pm

As a lawyer, the people opposing the election of a petrol station in their area should just use the law which prevents petrol stations to be built in residential areas. With a good lawyer to argue well, they will WIN!!!

• Odia

June 12, 2014 at 9:13 am

If lekki is a solely residential area, why do we have night clubs, bars, event centres, companies and various organizations in the estate. I totally disagree. A filling station will be good for us plssss and with a Good lawyer, they wont win.

7. @edDREAMZ

June 12, 2014 at 12:04 am

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Well they should inform a lawyer or something…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

8. nene

June 12, 2014 at 12:49 am

good idea. bad location. there are lots of empty lands in lekki. admiralty way should not be a place for a filling station.

9. JK

June 12, 2014 at 8:55 am

I think it’s very wrong to construct a filling station there. Parties who have agreed to that, are simply selfish.

10. pynk

June 12, 2014 at 8:59 am

Based on what I know, the location of the station is right by the bridge round about. The location is contrary to regulatory laws given the high population density of the area. If the station was even located on the other side where the water is, there is less of a safety risk.
    Ps: the stations on awolowo in ikoyi are also mostly illegal due to their close proximity to each other.

The day that Nigerians start understanding the implications that we ought to be our neighbors keepers is the day we move forward. A lot of those permits that were so obtained were likely done through backdoor means. So long as selfish self interests continue to be the order of the day, such things will keep happening. We have zoning laws in Nigeria, however selfishness wont let people think straight.

11. Isaac

June 12, 2014 at 9:13 am

People should take a critical look at both sides before uttering comments. The filling station will enhance the lifestyle of those people who don’t have a fleet of cars and drivers to go outside Lekki Phase 1 to get petrol and other petroleum products. People have raised the issue of theft and robbery, like the gentleman pointed out, there are several exit points at Lekki. This creation of this station will not change the status quo.

Again I don’t see how the value of properties in the area will be devalued. There are several service stations on Awolowo Road, Ikoyi and Ikeja running side by side thriving businesses and residential property. We must also however remember that the station is been built in line with Lekki master plan created by the Lagos State government.

I also believe they must have gotten all necessary permits from the physical planning department, local and state government and the DPR. If you look closely at the site there are two entry points one from Admiralty and the other on Rasheed Alaba Williams, the street just off the road beside the station. From what we gather, traffic will come in from there as opposed to entry from Admiralty. I am also pretty sure the station has done it’s due diligence in carrying out proper analysis on traffic and other elements that will affect it’s operations.

Lest we forget, we know that so many Lekki residents buy AGO for their generators, imagine how convenient it becomes to purchase the product as opposed to having a bridger ferry in diesel which can indeed be a risk. We all recall the fire incident that occurred some months ago.

We should give these guys a chance, I know some people don’t share my views but hey let us spare a thought for those people who cannot afford some of the luxuries a major bulk enjoy in the Lekki town. Notice I said town NOT estate. That is what Lekki was intended to be.

12. Jb4u2nv

June 12, 2014 at 9:15 am

why would i have to travel a thousand miles just to fuel my car? Its funny how people reason this days. Please let the fuel station be close by and positioned as originally designed by the Etiosa LGA.

13. Godwin

June 12, 2014 at 9:17 am

What are these guys saying. I’m sure most of these guys posting comments here are not even living in lekki. Do you know how stressful it is to get petrol/diesel out of lekki? Please, we need this petrol station and its location is good cos admiralty way is just a most busiest location in lekki. Safety will definitely be put into consideration by the company building it. We want this petrol station ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

14. James

June 12, 2014 at 9:20 am

Is it not obvious that the benefits outweighs whatever concern about the filling station you guys have? Why all the negative comments? abeg u guys should chill, how about the clubs, social spots and other spots which are frequently visited by non lekki residents? have they increased security risk in any way? What happens when you need to fill up and the nearest filling station would be the opposed Ascon filling station? abeg you gutys should give progress a chance!

15. Francis

June 12, 2014 at 9:32 am

I believe Lekki Phase 1 is a mix between commercial and residential. The street that the proposed station is located on is also mainly commercial. I have seen some other articles on the paper about this issue. Education is key in any matter. Information from other articles shows that the particular site in question is zoned for a gas station in the master plan before lekki phase 1 grew to what it is today. Hence, approval has already been obtained from all the necessary departments. I live in Lekki Phase 1 and I share your concern. However, what happens to the huge financial investment that has been made so far. As a business man, I would not want this to happen to me. SO, I cannot wish it on anyone else. Whoever made the master plan is the one to blame not the company who is deciding to expand. Moreover, I do not think it will be that bad. There are several stations in tight places. Phase 1 is not the first place and it wont be the last. Lagos is expanding and generally, we have too much reliance on cars. We need to have a commercial train all the way from AJAH to VI. Not sure how they will do it but it needs to happen

16. Busarni

June 12, 2014 at 9:46 am

what about DPR that issued the permit? Nigeria and corruption, smh…

17. Miz Tee

June 12, 2014 at 9:52 am

I live in Lekki 1 and I DEFINITELY DO NOT want a fuel station to be erected beside/in front of/behind my house.

The traffic and inconvenience risks are even secondary in my opinion, what about safety? Do we know what will happen if there is a fire?

Biko they should not try it abeg, I would rather drive to Oando or Forte oil anyday anytime than risk my life because of some perceived convenience.

18. FlexyBee

June 12, 2014 at 9:59 am

Whats wrong with having a Fuel Station in your neighborhood? Our People are just to primitive and lack the sense of civilization in this model life, This same Negative people preferred travelling miles to get fuel for their use. Please ASCON, ride on with u creative and Innovative construction to easy Life for the betterment of our People. Gbam!

• Hian!

June 12, 2014 at 10:35 am

Pray tell, how do you make sense to yourself? Primitive? Civilization? On top fuel station in a residential area?

19. sane

June 12, 2014 at 10:35 am

I work in lekki phase 1. Yesterday it took me 30 mins to get to the toll gate from admiralty. Imagine when you add the filling station plus fuel scarcity; na to dey sleep for road remain. I am definitely against it. I will rather drive to forte.

20. Vincent

June 12, 2014 at 10:46 am

Its a mixed reaction here. As for me, i work in lekki and i believe having a gas station will benefit residents and workers. I understand the safety concerns buh hellooo, we have eateries, supermarkets, etc built inside a filling station and people visit them frequently. I believe if an organization as big as ascon wanna do something as a filling station in such an area, the issue of security and safety will be strongly tackled. They are professionals and they understand residents concerns but please, let give room for convenience. I cant spent 30min – 1hr driving to forte or mobile to buy fuel everytime. We need one in Lekki.

21. 'lade

June 12, 2014 at 10:53 am

i think its a great idea. Biko, the petrol station is needed.

22. Sandra

June 12, 2014 at 10:59 am

I think this is a good development for residents within Lekki and should be well received. For those who say they don’t mind going so far to buy fuel, just imaging u running out of fuel just before you get to this long distance petrol station…

I also think people are deliberately missing out the point that this petrol station plot has been in the masterplan and luckily, Ascon got the chance to build their station after acquiring all the necessary approvals, this is not an act of selfishness or whatever some people have termed it to be, it is simply compliance with the laws.

23. Damilola

June 12, 2014 at 11:16 am

Driving on Awolowo Road, Ikoyi is now stressful because of the fuel stations. If this construction isn’t stopped. Admiralty road will become like awolowo road

• Funsho

June 12, 2014 at 2:16 pm

The fuel stations are not the cause of the stressful drive on awolowo road. Please lets not tie this to that. The fact still remains, Lekki needs a Gas Station

24. Cecelia

June 12, 2014 at 11:34 am

THERE IS A PETROL STATION JUST OUTSIDE LEKKI PHASE 1,SO WHY PUT ANOTHER ONE? THIS IS WHY THE COUNTRY IS VERY CORRUPT. THE ESTATE IS STILL RESIDENTIAL

• Funsho

June 12, 2014 at 2:22 pm

The Estate is residential? and you guys allow strip clubs, Hotels, Night clubs, Bars, and all sorts. woow. That is very residential ooo. Please let us be objective in our comments.

25. Wuraola

June 12, 2014 at 12:17 pm

But wait o… (1)DPR and other authorities issued permits … meaning Lagos State was sure before giving approvals (2)the filling station was originally planned for in the master plan of Lekki Phase 1 …. meaning YEARS ago, the planners did not have anyone in mind as owner, but they simply considered the amenities required by the Lekki Phase 1 community and provided for us with PROFESSIONAL considerations about its location and impact (3) Other articles on this issue show that ASCON bought the EXACT site earmarked in the master plan… meaning no makomako about location.

So,what is this palaver about again? Why are residents suddenly denying the filling station? Why is there no respect for our authorities’ judgment? Why is there no respect for the planners of Lekki Phase 1? Why is there no respect for other car owners’ needs? When have you ever been robbed at a filling station? Lekki Phase 1 is full of commercial outlets that perhaps make more than a filling station daily… so why the raised eyebrow over 1 more commercial outlet that was even planned for originally? Abeg, make the filling station available for those who need it biko!

26. me2me

June 12, 2014 at 12:34 pm

You all are just freaking Lazy. You guys definitely need a close filling station but not on your dinning table silly. They should build it Outside the estate between first to 3rd roundabout. It is extremely risky and irresponsible to build a filling station at that spot. For instance, the UK does not have filling stations anywhere near residential areas. In a case where there is fire outbreak it can be contained before it affects homes, and this is a country where fire service works. Tell me if anything happens, who would save you?? ….Note I won’t proof read any error won’t prevent you understanding what I have written

• Funsho

June 12, 2014 at 2:19 pm

For God sake, Admiralty way is not a residential zone. Infact, the a very very busy area in lekki. Please get your fact right before making comments. We are all intelligent folks here who wants the best for the country. The issue of safety has also been handled by the company Hence, the Government wont give approval.

27. B

June 12, 2014 at 12:48 pm

So typical of Nigerian government and institutions not to consider the welfare of the people when it comes to making profits for their pockets. Should it even be a debate whether or not the fuel station should be built there? Yes, Lekki is becoming more commercial, but just because people are opening fashion houses, Beauty salons, boutique confectionery stores and whatever else does not mean the next best thing is a fueling station! The dynamics are completely different. What will be next, a market? Our government need to start conserving the integrity of our communities and cities, and we as people need to be more aware of the effects. The inconvenience of driving to get fuel someplace else, is a small price to pay compared with the detrimental effects we can avoid. We need Parks, not Petrol stations.

28. Francis

June 12, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I believe that there is no business that you put there that will not have impact. If you put grocery stores, mega plaza, a big multi-floor nite club or any other successful business that will give u customers, it is all the same impact as fuel station. If it has already been approved and construction has already commenced, let them continue abeg. The business owner is not your enemy. It is the city/government. Unfortunately, I do not think they can expand the lanes. However, life must go on and developments must take place.

29. i no send

June 12, 2014 at 1:16 pm

living in ikoyi..abeg no stress except some bad roads..ok bye

• Wuraola

June 12, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Hehehe… word!

30. concerned

June 12, 2014 at 2:52 pm

are these pple not seeing the traffic small Daytona and Sailors cause on admiralty road?? no you construct a fuelling on admiralty way, what kinda traffic do they plan on subjecting us to.
    Even ebeano causes traffic sometimes, i don’t even wanna imagine when there’s fuel scarcity (norm in lagos)… trust me the people commenting on this blog supporting this station either don’t live inside phase 1 or are Ascon staffs.

• Sophie

June 12, 2014 at 3:09 pm

My Name is Sophia and i stay in lekki. Also i’ve never worked for ascon. I’ve been following this trend and i think its time i share my tots. In my opinion, a gas station inside lekki won’t be a bad idea. Since they claim its part of the master plan and the government is in support, bros, i think its for our convenience. Talking abt traffic, please where is there no traffic in Lagos ooo. If they would get a solution to the traffic problem, i think we should allow them build their gas station. Thank you.

31. can u imagine

March 26, 2015 at 2:49 pm

once the fire broke out today i immediately remembered this article…. this is insane ooo…. damage beyond measure