Connect with us

News

Ebola: Lagos Clears Last Suspect | Affirms September 22nd Resumption Date

NAN

Published

 on

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Ikeja  (NAN) – The Lagos State Government on Friday said the last suspected case of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in the state had been cleared having tested negative after surveilance.

Governor Babatunde Fashola disclosed this while giving an update on the virus at the Secretariat Central Mosque, Alausa, where he observed Jumat Prayers.

The governor said the development meant that the state was now Ebola free and that it was safe enough for schools to resume on September 22nd.

“The last time when we discussed the issue, I told you that about 19 people were still under observation over the Ebola Virus Disease. They were there not because they had the disease but because they were showing suspected symptoms.

“But I am glad to report to you that the last person under surveillance was cleared this morning. He tested negative and that means there is no more Ebola in Lagos.

“Now that the disease has been successfully contained, schools can resume for normal academic session,” he said.

Fashola said the declaration that the state was now free did not mean Ebola threats had been completely eliminated.

According to him, the situation in Sierra Leone, Liberia and other high risk countries meant cross–border transmission threat is still there.

He, however, said the state government was implementing strict measures to ensure the disease was confined to history.

The governor urged residents to be vigilant and to take precautions that would ensure their safety from the disease.

Fashola also advised residents to keep their environment clean and maintain good personal hygiene as diseases thrive in dirty environments.

Photo Credit: Andreypopov/Dreamstime.com

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) was established by the Federal Government of Nigeria in May 1976 to gather and distribute news on Nigeria and cover events of interest to Nigeria at the international level for the benefit of the Nigerian Media and the Public.

10 Comments

  1. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

    September 20, 2014 at 10:42 pm

    WHICH IS IT? SEPT 22 OR OCT 2?

  2. Mr. George

    September 20, 2014 at 11:05 pm

    I have to applause Naija for this, if it is true,

  3. T.

    September 21, 2014 at 5:23 am

    Very good..So we should start coming back to 9ja with no Fear…No Place like Home

  4. Naija sha

    September 21, 2014 at 8:56 am

    Read on Twitter yesterday that a sudanese man died of EBOLA yesterday morning. Govt please don’t play with our childrens’ life’s.
    Here is the link to the tweet: twitter.com/legallysultry/status/513252109840838656

  5. yetunde

    September 21, 2014 at 9:09 am

    ogun state declares resumption date to b 8 of october

  6. Bukola

    September 21, 2014 at 1:35 pm

    osun state declares resumption date october 6

  7. lala

    September 21, 2014 at 2:02 pm

    What plan doesLagos state govt have in place for schools as requested by the teachers association? Ogun state is putting a substantial plan in place for their schools before opening next month , which makes a lot of sense.

  8. @edDREAMZ

    September 21, 2014 at 3:00 pm

    a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    .
    I applaude naija for this……
    .
    .
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

  9. fbi

    September 21, 2014 at 4:30 pm

    *sighs*this means it time my little brother travel back home, gonna miss him dearly…

  10. Iris

    September 21, 2014 at 6:09 pm

    Just in time for school to start when they wanted it to start. I really wish they’d wait till October at least. Port Harcourt still has many people under surveillance and people can still run from isolation and travel.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Star Features

Advertisement
css.php