Relationships

Betty Irabor: “Celebrity Couples Should Stop Living their Lives on Twitter & Instagram”

betty irabor tweets

Betty Irabor said celeb couples should stop living their lives for social media, so the media won’t put pressure on their relationships, in a series of tweets yesterday.

The veteran journalist and founder of Genevieve Magazine celebrated her 31st wedding anniversary with fellow journalist husband, Soni this July (click here if you missed it).

Here are her tweets:

Betty Irabor Celeb Couples Tweets

BellaNaija-rians do you agree?

Photo Source: twitter.com/bettyirabor

1. bruno

October 10, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Biko which “celebrity couple” do we have in nigeria, (if u mention tiwa savage and husband thunder will fire you)

• Black Coffee

October 10, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Bwahahahaha! Bruno, chill naw. Local celebs are still celebs. Its all relative.

• ChelizRuby.

October 10, 2014 at 7:10 pm

I tire o, Bruno dey vex o!

• nene

October 10, 2014 at 6:00 pm

lmfao bruno. i can only think of tunde and wunmi obe.

• lol

October 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm

this is the first time you made me laugh.lmao

• ATL's Finest

October 11, 2014 at 7:19 am

Lmao! Omg.. I lost and cracked my floating rib due to laughter.. Especially the last sentence smh..

• onye Ara

October 11, 2014 at 11:48 am

I love you Bruno. You shoot from the hip and straight to the point.

• i no send

October 11, 2014 at 10:05 pm

hehehehe..chai bruno u are super funny

• Chi

October 13, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Bruno you are so full of abuses, you can see she is generally giving a good advice to everyone and if u don’t know any then its best you don’t comment.

• Dammy

October 21, 2014 at 6:24 am

Joke silva and olu jacobs, ireti and patrick doyle, tuface and annie idibia

2. efe

October 10, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Marriage is truly for mature Grown Ups and not children, l concur

3. iwalewa

October 10, 2014 at 5:02 pm

very true.our so called celebrity couples should stop living their lives on twitter and instagram.

4. baboushka

October 10, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Tell them Aunty!

5. Ruby

October 10, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Definition of ‘Celebrity’ – the state of being well known. A famous person especially in entertainment or sport. @Bruno – Who the cap fits let them where it. If we have people like this then that is who Betty is speaking to! #Gosh! SMH

6. kechi

October 10, 2014 at 5:11 pm

not just celebrities but everyone! stop painting pictures and yes marriage is for grown ups!

7. deb

October 10, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Who is a celeb couple in Nigeria? Ok, maybe tunde&wunmi obey

8. baboushka

October 10, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Tell them Aunty! This goes for regular couples too I have one on my Facebook the PDA on social media is too much and I personally know what goes on in the background is very far from what they show on social media because I am a close friend. Things that they should call or text each other they are putting up as FB status example Husband posts : thank you (tags wifey) for a wonderful breakfast this morning you are simply the best” Next thing wife posts ” thank you (tags husband) for looking so well after the kids when I worked late last night and that lovely foot massage bla bla bla then they go back and forth hailing each other in the comments, some other people now join in with awww your love inspires me, aww you two are so cute. So annoying!

9. Black Coffee

October 10, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I totally agree. I read a comment on Stella that said there was a scene in the Kardashian show where Khloe told Kim she was faking all her “happy in love with Lamar”IG posts, that half the time, she was home alone. I didn’t catch that episode but that truly says it all. Social media is a place for the insecure to show off borrowed/ fake designer things they pretend to own, photoshopped bodies and faces they pretend are real and fantasy relationships.

10. kk

October 10, 2014 at 5:53 pm

lmaooo @ bruno..you are one hilarious person. I always look forward to your controversial yet very truthful comments.

11. @edDREAMZ

October 10, 2014 at 6:37 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Bruno don kill me with laugh…. Hahahahahahaha….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

12. mama Ovie

October 10, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Sometimes when I see social media love
    In my mind. I just feel there are some insecurity they try to cover

13. Changing Faces

October 10, 2014 at 7:06 pm

If they don’t show themselves, how then will we know that they’re happy? Everybody acting for the world… This social media era has brought a lot of people’s insecurities to the fore, and that insatiable thirst for validation by complete strangers.

• nosocialmedialove

October 11, 2014 at 5:17 am

Nice! Yours words just gave me a title for an article I need to write. Been working on it but couldn’t find a suitable title. Thanks
      I love An a is and baboushka. This whole social media display of affection irritates me to my bones.

14. ifemi

October 10, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Hmmmm i will never never forget the only and expensive gift my uncle gave me on my wedding day “ohun ti o ba dun a ma fi owo bo ni” what ever dat is sweet cover and protect it. I dont need to display it, it crysyal clear when you see me,Happily married

15. Anais

October 10, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I don’t get it! You have your boyfriend’s cellphone’s number, you share the same bed with your hubby or lover, and yet you need to go on social media to wish him Happy Birthday, to prove to him how much you love him and blablabla…Like we care when you fart or shit! C my hubby just bought those Louboutins, gifts and so on… C we just went on vacation in Venise and look at the bed where we r making love. I love you Valentin! Valentine my booboo, i love you… Shots of Valentin nd i at the restaurant, nightclubs, in bed, there and there….Who cares?
    When you see people trying to put themselves in the limelight all the time, projecting their couple as perfection, or just inviting you in their bedroom, know that it smells smoke, insecurities and problems. No wonder why seal divorced Heidi, Ini/Philipps,Amber Rose/Khalifa and the list goes on and on. Nobody needs to know their businesses and yet they are feeding us everyday. Should not they be busy growing their fortunes, making love to their lovers, being housewives, working, being normal, producing, singing, presenting, being a relative, a parent, making family enquiry, planning conception or weddings than to make us envy their livelihood. Some of them are even living fake lives, sleeping with aristos who offer them presents they cannot afford. They show us this brand new this or that they can barely afford. You are not happy if you are trying too hard to prove it to me. In spite of being exposed or having a plus size wallet, you remain somebody as vulnerable as i am, you are just human, so stop pretending, it is ok to fart and yes, farting in public is rude and it does smell stronger than when farting in the privacy of your own toilet! No Drama, thugh life!

16. Beautygeekng.com

October 10, 2014 at 9:21 pm

This is meant for everyone actually not just celebs

17. Cocobutter

October 10, 2014 at 10:09 pm

She forgot to mention the Daddy of them all, Facebook has destroyed so many marriages this year alone!! Regardless whether you are a celebrity or your average joe, I beseech you, stop telling have of your friends on Facebook, how romantic your husband was to you, how much you love your wife, etc….. leave your marriage off facebook, twitter and instagram, and it would prosper. Unnecessary PDAs, sweet nothings etc should not be shared for all to see!!

18. Anita...

October 10, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Lol… Bruno is Bella Naija’s version of LIB’s Bonario

• Iďomagirl

October 10, 2014 at 11:40 pm

LMAO. Apt!

19. Just me

October 10, 2014 at 11:51 pm

I concur with her.
    If your spouse is a wonderful person, tell that to your spouse in person not on twitter, Facebook, instagram etc.
    If you’re angry about something with someone, discuss that issue with that person not on Facebook, Twitter etc.
    if you love Jesus, tell Jesus not on Facebook, Twitter.
    People come on these medium and expose themselves to scrutiny, if you don’t want people in your business don’t live your life on the web. Keep certain things private. ..Period. And that certainly includes your marriage, kids and whatever else you consider private.

• encore

October 11, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I agree on all you said but the Jesus one!
      If you love Jesus please shout it out to the whole world use social media and all you have.
      However I implore you not to use the name of Jesus to mask your boasting and bragging on this sites!
      Here I go:
      I LOVE JESUS!!!

• Dammmmmmmy

October 11, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Yep! i saw an old secondary school mate at the supermarket and congratulated her on the birth of her twins and she goes all’ how did you know and all’ with this look on her face! i couldnt regulate my expression, im sure she saw the ‘are you ok, why are you feel I ng like a celebrity’ disgusted look on my face. i mean, all that was missing were pictures of the actual birth posted on facebook and then you start acting like people are stalking you put all your business out there

• tunmi

October 21, 2014 at 6:28 pm

lmao I agree completely and with the Jesus one.

• bola

October 23, 2014 at 2:19 pm

@ tell Jesus. Lol

20. bee

October 11, 2014 at 2:10 am

you know i simply do not get this social media craze,it just simply brings out the foolishness in people,fake life at its peak! i can’t even imagine giving so many people that much access into my life!mba! i even lie to people i dnt have whatsap,lols Lord have mercy on me, when they wanted to kill me on bbm nko,i ran away,i can’t handle all those things. Keep your affairs private biko!

21. Audrey

October 11, 2014 at 5:52 pm

This social media and keeping up appearances Lol. one stupid girl who complained to friends her then boyfriend had a small penis and so couldn’t marry him,married him later for whatever reason. and now she keeps disturbing people on Facebook with every move they make as a couple and proclaiming what a swell time they’re having Lol. unfortunately, every time I see them,its both hilarious and sad. stop telling your business to both friends and social media!!!

22. Anonymous

October 11, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I get aunty betty and agree with her. Relating to some of the comments, I don’t see anything wrong in wishing your hubby happy birthday on social media. Or sometimes wanting to share your appreciation for him. Sometimes your heart is just full and you want to express yourself. However, I don’t think it should be done too often. Once in a while when your heart is full and your simply just feeling thankful!!!

23. kurukere

October 11, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Anonymous when your heart is full indeed! I wondered how the wifes/husbands whose hearts were full in the pre social media era dealt with it. They all must have died of heart disease I suppose. Smmh.

• nwanyi na aga aga

October 13, 2014 at 8:35 am

Looooool! una harsh o. I dont think there is anything wrong in wishing your husband/wife happy birthday on social media. You do it for your friends, acquaintances etc so why will doing it for your hubby be so burdensome? Besides its once a year. I agree with the keeping your affairs private. but the birthday part is not a biggie after all people throw surprise parties for their significant other and invite friends so whats the difference?

24. toin

October 11, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Thank u aunty Betty for saying this.

25. SEEN ALL

October 13, 2014 at 8:47 am

Hmmmm thank you aunty Betty. I have this friend that likes putting up her relationship status for the world to see on Facebook, but the funny side of the status update is that when she breakup with the partner she goes single again, sometimes she is ENGAGED putting up their picture as a couple the next minutes it is COMPLICATED but when you dare try to knock some sense into her she calls you enemy of progress. I quietly deleted the ODE SHARP! SHARP!!

26. tunmi

October 21, 2014 at 6:29 pm

I love that she said “it is ok for couples to disagree” conflicts are okay and needed, it is how you resolve it that matters most.