Music

Study Claims That Music from Beyoncé, Lil Wayne, T.I and More Makes You Dumb

A software developer, Virgil Griffith has taken it upon himself to research and study music in correlation with test scores.

He spent a significant amount of time correlating the collective musical tastes of certain colleges and universities with their students’ average SAT scores.

His result shows that there are particular types of music favoured by people with lower SAT scores and a different type of music preferred by people with higher SAT scores. Virgil Griffith believes this is not a coincidence, and that certain music is made for smarter minds.

Virgil Griffith has been undergoing his research for the past 5 years and releasing new charts on and off with new music stars using new data.

His latest chart to be released shows that people who listen to songs by Beyonce, T.I, Lil Wayne, Hip Hop, Justin Timberlake and a host of others often get the lowest test scores while people who listen to Eminem, Kayne West, Alternate Rock, U2, Norah Jones and more often get average test scores. His graph shows that the highest test scores are often gotten by people who listen to Beethoven.

Take a look at the chart to see where your favorite artistes fall in line.

Do you agree that some types of music make people dumb?

Virgil Griffith also has a study that shows which books make you dumb, and The Holy Bible is listed as one of them. You can check that out here.

1. Missy J

October 24, 2014 at 9:11 pm

What of Aye and Dorobucci naaw? Holy Bible keh!!!

2. Open Sesame

October 24, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Lol! Bruno will have a field day with that last paragraph.

• bruno

October 24, 2014 at 11:42 pm

I swear I didnt read that last paragraph. but its true the bible and quran make peopke dumb.

• Bb

October 25, 2014 at 1:43 am

Truer words have never been spoken. Bible , Torah and Quran are all hogwash, written by incredibly superstitious and stupid people.

• Leah

October 25, 2014 at 2:08 am

Well bruno, you call yourself a “beyhive” and have admitted yourself of bullying people because of Beyoncé, so you are just as dumb. Not that we needed a proof of that though.

3. Pleo

October 24, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I think it’s more like, Smart people prefer a certain kind of music; same goes for the dumbos! Won’t say it’s the music that affects them…sadly the market/number is higher with the dumbos so!

4. bruno

October 24, 2014 at 9:21 pm

this is what racism looks like. the researcher could have as well said black people who listen to music (rnb and hip hop) made by black musicians are dumb and white people who listen to music (rock and country) made by white musicians are smart. in america , majority of black people dont take education seriously. The person that did this research is an idiot. majority of serial killers and rapists and child molesters are white people and they love rock music and heavy metal music.nonsense

• Leah

October 25, 2014 at 2:14 am

I think you mean “stereotype”. You know the kind the white woman used when she said “angry black woman” and you bruno thought she was right. Not every black person listens to Beyoncé’s crappy music, just immature gay men the IQ of twelve year old little girls like yourself bruno.

• Pat

October 25, 2014 at 2:25 am

hmmm Bruno. making a point here 🙂

• Tosin

October 25, 2014 at 3:00 am

no, not really. some of the dumb music is actually dumb, they make it easy-Disney, with few words, easy words, repeated over and over… contrast with Eminem which has so many words per minute, how many people can keep up with that? Of course Eminem is in a black genre.

• BlueEyed

October 25, 2014 at 6:22 am

Reading this post made me laugh at first, as this research holds no water in truth, but then reading your comment, I somewhat agree, white people and their bias generalization of hip hop music or rnb and their constant need to diminish rap culture, as a music lover I listen to all types of music, yes all kinds (from Mozart to Drake) because to me music is Art, Rap in the black culture was an exhibition of art, synchronization of words and thoughts (I agree today it has changed) but there’s still a handful of meaningful ones, that has served as an outlet for the display of the creativity of the human mind. This man should look for more meaningful things to research on, this one in particular is as random as the results he came out with.

• Le moi

October 25, 2014 at 8:42 am

For once you said something sensible

• Naijadr

October 26, 2014 at 2:54 am

If country music makes people smart, how do you explain Honey Boo Boo and country folk?

5. Friday's other child

October 24, 2014 at 10:22 pm

It will be interesting to find out how he adjusted his model to accommodate other sociological factors that may have impacted the low SAT scores of the ”beyonce’ Crew vs the ‘Beethoven’crew. I’m no expert, but I’d be very surprised if his findings weren’t coincidental as opposed to causal.

6. LL

October 24, 2014 at 10:29 pm

I can testify that it is so true (regarding those who listen to Beethoven). My bf is a genius (intellectual) and he loves classical music in which Beethoven is his favorite artist. Also, his friends (they are similar in terms of intellect) loves Beethoven and classical music.

As for the rest, I will take several seats on that 😀

7. boon

October 24, 2014 at 10:51 pm

‘correlation does not imply causation’
    bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27537142 shows other correlations…

8. bolu

October 24, 2014 at 11:15 pm

abeg first 101 of statistics correlation does not equal cause, I listen to artist from the groups listed from beyonce, JT to Beethoven and other classical ish

• tunmi

October 25, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Thank you. The first and most important thing about statistics is that correlation does NOT equal causation.

9. bruno

October 24, 2014 at 11:48 pm

we dont need research to prove that the bible and quran make people dumb, just look around you and u will see the result of religion and fictional books like the bible and quran. bye felicia (any body that will insult me, is a monkey).

• SASSYCASSIE

October 25, 2014 at 11:57 am

Right, because they’re no dumb atheists, agnostics,wiccans, buddhists etc. Bruno, since you’re neither christian nor moslem what’s your excuse for your sttagering level of stupidity?

• bruno

October 25, 2014 at 1:19 pm

you christains and muslims are butt hurt. ur religion promotes violence hatred and skavery. the bible and quran are fictional books written by a group of sexist, homophobic, racist, superstitious crazy white people who’s gial was to imprison and enslave and control the entire human race by putting fear into them.

• David Nwachukwu

October 27, 2014 at 11:41 pm

First of all this post was originally posted in 2009 not by BN but another site. It’s the same as it was they just tweaked it. I agree with you it has extreme racist undertones, how dare with they didn’t take in mind how much music has evolved in this 2nd decade. But how can you say the bible makes you dumb biko? I find spiritual enlightenment and guidance to make SMART choices and it’s led my family to become SUCCESSFUL in what they do. Bruno I get it’s your life and you’re entitled to your opinions and everything, which I respect because you tend to make smart comments at times. However as a frequent BN reader I’ve noticed you clearly have personal issues you need to pray about. Christianity is not spiteful religion but more of a relationship with your maker. Try talking to him at least. He loves you no matter what. Stay blessed.

10. Olive

October 24, 2014 at 11:59 pm

I never was into rap until sometime around my sophomore/junior year in University – and that was that time we had Souljah Boy, Lil Wayne, T-Pain and the rest on the radio airwaves. Let’s just say, I could hardly concentrate while simultaneously listening to music and studying. But as soon as I changed my Pandora station to Andrea Bocelli, Pavarotti and other classical musicians , I was able to retain what I was studying better. As they say, “don’t do drugs”. I will urge, listen to less of this garbage. Techno and electronica is even better.

• omoibo

October 25, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Garbage in garbage out or like I prefer to say garbage in garbage retained….

11. JT

October 25, 2014 at 12:18 am

I wholeheartedly agree!!!! The music is pure garbage! I don’t see how it develops one’s intellect except builds bad & unnecessary vocabulary like; “YASSSS Honey!” “Tunechi” “Flawless” “bad B###tch” You Basic.” Before you know it the young gens coming up will be including these words in essays. SMH

• LILO

October 25, 2014 at 6:05 am

Add “bae” ( quite disgusting if I may say) and “your” (e.g your welcome, your gon regret that etc) to the list of bad grammar that , with the help of social media, are somehow becoming the norm. I weep for this generation

• Anonymous

October 25, 2014 at 8:40 am

So. Your comment is so ridiculous. Almost as stupid as this research that was supposedly carried out.
      Beyonce has several meaningful songs. It’s amazing how people pick and choose when trying to make a very daft point.

I like both Beethoven and beyonce so I must be an intelligent idiot then. Foolish research.

• S!

October 25, 2014 at 11:38 am

How are you categorizing Flawless as bad & unnecessary vocabulary?
      Do you even know the definition of flawless?
      Illiterate!

12. Church in the Wild

October 25, 2014 at 2:12 am

In otherwords black people are dumb and white people are smart. This study is soo flawed and incredibly offensive. SAT scores are not a measure of intelligence. Research has proven that time and time again. What socio demographic factors were considered before they came to this erroneus conclusion. How valid is the data. Who takes data for a scientific study from facebook likes?.. Please BN stop posting these racially charged studies on your website. You are better than this.

• omoibo

October 25, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Not necessarily true, believe it or not but whites are the largest consumers of urban music. They are the one that purchase majority of the rap/hip-hop albums. But like the saying goes “Numbers Don’t like”..

13. Tosin

October 25, 2014 at 2:56 am

correlation != causation.
    the research may be solid, the article (esp the headline) is not.
    #alltheseoversabisomments

14. Oyeenda

October 25, 2014 at 4:30 am

Exactly, like my psychology and biology professors say, “correlation is not causation.”

15. Just me

October 25, 2014 at 5:49 am

I agree. ..Sometimes I struggle to understand what they’re singing about

16. nyinyes

October 25, 2014 at 7:18 am

I totally agree I’m smart n I luv classical music. Sometimes 1 cnt help but listen to the likes of Beyonce n co cos wen u turn on the tv, they r all up in ur face.

17. Annette

October 25, 2014 at 7:35 am

Hi,evry one.can’t stop laughn,cuz d guy na MORON,am sori to say.tut he was makn sense,until I saw HoLYbiBlE!wat a crap..

18. Anonymous

October 25, 2014 at 8:41 am

*lmao…..

Autocorrect, not today.

19. babe

October 25, 2014 at 10:06 am

There are some tings I still question abt de bible stories. E.g the noah’s ark story and a whole lot more but I am not. In agreement at the bible makes u dumb. There is a whole of wisdom in de books of proverbs, eccleesiates and the new testaments. If u understand the geogragphcal locations, tradition and culture of the writers of the Bible and Quran then u will understand more why there is so much religious supremacy confict in de world bcos of these books. Get wisdom, love ur God , ur neighbour and respect his belief then the world will hav peace. Bt Wen u feel ur religion is the best ,blessed and favoured by God u attract others the fight u.

20. ib

October 25, 2014 at 11:06 am

May God av mercy on u ignorant people wu say d bible makes u dumb wen actually its filled with so much truth and wisdom. u choose to understand d tins of d world.

21. bruno

October 25, 2014 at 11:18 am

lets not forget white people write and produce beyonce songs partition was written by justin timberlake, pretty hurt was written by sia and xo was written by ryan tedder. by the way the bibke and quran makes people dumb and strips all common reasoning from the man

22. Jaybee

October 25, 2014 at 11:21 am

True talk

23. bruno

October 25, 2014 at 11:31 am

@ib, the bible is fulk if wisdom and truth fir example ephisian 6:5 skaves ibey you eathly masters (the bible supports and encourages slavery) di you know how disgusting and despicable slavery is, go and watch 12 years a slave, im sure that movie shows just the tip of what slavery really is
    1 peter 2:18 house old servants be submissive to ur masters , u christains love to deny the old testament but 1 peter is in the new testament.
    deutronomy 21:18 stone disobedient kids to death
    see I can go on and on but I will stop her. any book that promotes slavery shoukd not be regarded as a good book to foolow and obey and practice in your everyday life

24. bruno

October 25, 2014 at 11:33 am

pardon my typing error these keys are too small and sensitive to touch

25. ellen

October 25, 2014 at 11:58 am

Anyone who says the bible makes one dumb hasn’t really studied it properly….there’s a lot of wisdom in the bible especially if you ask the holy spirit to guide you…As for the contemporary artists I don’t really care about their music plus what ever you believe happens…and whether their music makes people dumb or not they get richer everyday..

26. Christian

October 25, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Waw, i have not heard this before, maybe i will stop listening to the song

27. Ronke

October 25, 2014 at 1:19 pm

What about Jay Z? Lool

28. chiee

October 25, 2014 at 4:07 pm

The wisdom of the World is foolishness in Gods eyes and vice versa. As for the movie 12 years a slave, i would only say it was exagerrated(the story line). People ask for the guidance of the holy spirit. Just as proverbs cautions us- lean not on your own understanding, i pray for Gods Grace to be on us all.

29. omoibo

October 25, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I am lover of all music across all genre but I will be the first to admit that lately a whole lot of the urban/ POP music being released are straight garbage and very shallow. That being said, I don’t thing a lot of people realize the power of music and listening to the same BS over and over.
    As a music lover it saddens me to see and hear what this generation calls music, you have to listen to the lyrics of these songs to really understand the depth of nonsense being fed to us by the artist/ music industry these days.

30. Newton Paul

October 25, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I thought i was the only one that observed music makes one dumb or smart…even expose your personality. I posted an article on my blog Early this year.
    majorpanedmajorfactor.blogspot.com/2014/03/music-creative-tool-by-newton-paul.html

Now i see my spirit is so right when it comes to listening to rock music…yellowcard, muse, the shines, paramore, the fray, dead cab for cutie, goo goo dolls.. cmon this are artistic bands that shoot your creativity.

31. jake ro

October 25, 2014 at 8:56 pm

For the first time I agree with bruno.white mans music makes you smart and black peoples music makes you dumb—-yeah right , says which idiotwhich research.they want to control the kusic I listen to too.?whitepeople will really stop at nothi g in pursueing supremacist ideology.

32. Idomagirl

October 26, 2014 at 2:39 am

You don’t need a study to tell you that listening to Lil Wayne will make you dumb…

33. chi-e-z

October 27, 2014 at 4:28 am

obviously biased funny nonetheless… people seem to think listening to classical music makes you smart… first I’ll like to say there is no such thing as smart or genius in my book since we as humans are created to continually learn unless you have found a way to harnass 100% of your brain which the average human is barely using 7% of and those who use a greater percentage usually are autistic that have their brain compartmentalized thus can usually only focus on that particular skill hence probably not even listening to music unless their gift is in music. I think the problem is this ‘researcher’ and a lot of commentators have not been taught 3 Golden Rules of life that every mothe figure must teac….so I’ll teach you all

1. Never look down or bellitle someone for being different
    2. A wise man is someone who knows there are somethings he knows nothing about/of
    3. The existence of a human being lays in notion that there’s always something he/she must improve on. Thus, I sought to imrove/change/create so I thought therefore I exist.

34. jake ro

October 27, 2014 at 12:59 pm

My word of wisdom.protect your ownn.white people does the same even when they know that what they are saying is not true.i listen to all music even asian music, anything music, still am busy with my second degree in medicine. How dumb am I , well, that is my business.i will live listening to whatever I want and keep appreciating art.for me that research is flawed.play piano, mozart and bethoven, then am smart , yeah right.the fact is that as I say before, white people will stop at nothing to destroy anything black.making it cheap and inferior, but is left for black people to say , hell NO.enough

35. assesser

October 30, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Thank u for d grammar bruno but we all know that u r saying total rubbish

36. zeepeee

November 5, 2014 at 11:10 pm

About the languagues used in music aside the foul words. I need to understand why and how someone using vernacular in her/ his music affect the english you speak.. Now that’s self hate. I guess the songs in my dialet shld be translated to english or I will be dumb. Less I forget black english or slang is like nigerians speaking pigeon english or our native tongues! Can some people get a grip of themselves.. Self worth and value A beg!!! When you want to write an assay then you write in the approved lingual franca …. Enough said

37. DiscoLover

November 27, 2015 at 9:01 am

I’m a true believer “You are innocent until proven guilty”. Music listeners are not all dumb. Music LYRICS can imprint and definitely alter a person’s mindset. Ultimately, it can lead a person in different direction in life. I believe some music can lead to a better life style, and also vice versa. I can only speak for myself that I had witnessed some of my employees listen to rap led to having a lazy mindset. I hope I am wrong but there are so many rap music lyrics are filled with low life problems, and I suspected this can be very contagious to the human’s mind.

38. John Pierre

March 31, 2016 at 7:59 pm

FROM RED HELL FIRE BLACKED SMOKE!!!!!!

39. John Pierre

March 31, 2016 at 8:45 pm

THEY ARE CONTROLLING US THEY WANT OUR SOULS BUT THEY ONLY WAY AND LIFE IS JESUS CHRIST AS A ONLY LORD AND SAVIOR AND BEGOTTEN SON OF GOD SON OF NAZARETH RISEN FROM THE DEATH AMEN!!!!!!!!