Career

Adetuke Morgan: 10 Lessons from NYSC

So it’s been four weeks since I received my NYSC certificate and I’ve been reminiscing on the whole year. I’m about to start a series of posts on my NYSC experience and this one highlights 10 lessons I learnt during the NYSC year.
1)This world is full of such a wide variety of people with different backgrounds, level of exposure, upbringing and morals. You must remember this when dealing with other humans, some people have no integrity while some have funky mentalities.

2) Being patient and humble will get you far and would also help you avoid unnecessary wahala. Sometimes it’s best to bite your tongue.

3) There are many methods to achieve a goal. Do it the right way. Some people will use crooked means and succeed but that doesn’t mean you should follow suit.

4) People will try to exploit you as a fresh graduate. Stand your ground, place value on yourself, pro bono work is good sometimes but not all the time. Don’t sell yourself short.

5) Save and invest, everything might seem well and dandy but if life throws you an unexpected curveball you should have some sort of fund stored up for a rainy day.

6) You decide how you react to situations around you. Be calm, don’t speak when angry, think about the consequences of your words before you utter them.

7) Your goals/expectations for yourself are what matter. Don’t try and be a certain way because that is what is expected. Be yourself. Be you. Follow your own path, chart your own course. Don’t compare yourself to others.Β Remember that everybody is a genius but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. Find your own unique talent and exploit it.

8) It is necessary to develop vocational skills so take SAED seriously. You never know what situation life might throw at you, these skills yield multiple results and will come in handy at the most unexpected time.

9) You would undoubtedly make wrong choices with money, relationships, how you spend your time, etc. Don’t dwell on the mistakes, learn from the experience and move on. This journey of life is a learning curve

10) Money works/speaks. that’s why ghost corpers still get their certificate even though they only wore their NYSC uniform a couple of times.

A new chapter of my life has begun. Yes, I’m scared. Yes, I’m nervous. But change is inevitable and I have no choice but to embrace it.

I would love to hear the lessons you learnt during your service year no matter how long ago that was, I’m sure the lesson is still valid.

Adetuke Morgan is a lifestyle blogger who is passionate about playing the Saxophone, writing, modeling and acting. She loves to travel, rocks her Natural hair with pride and is a sucker for great food. Read about her adventures in Lagos at Tuke's Quest and follow her on Twitter & Instagram @TukeMorgan

1. TA

November 13, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Kudos Adetuke. Never stop writing or reading.

2. GoGirl

November 13, 2014 at 11:16 pm

No 10 the best….I wish you all the best you start your new journey

3. Dee

November 13, 2014 at 11:16 pm

no.2 & 5, so key! Go Tuke, short and precise, I like πŸ™‚

4. BA

November 13, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Lmaoo @ 10… Thank God money works πŸ˜€

5. me

November 13, 2014 at 11:57 pm

I learnt the university is just a play ground… I learnt to keep lessons as treasure.. I found out more about myself and more about odas… I laughed a lot, I had some moments too.. I grew up.. I made real friends… Friends for life… I had the best one year of my life… The clarion call… What a 2013 I had!

6. Miss_Flygerian

November 14, 2014 at 8:21 am

Loool @ number 10. Story of my life right there…barely went for any nysc related stuff.

7. Tee

November 14, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Lovely article, hope you won’t put some people in trouble with number 10.

8. Anon

November 14, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Number 10 – the very reason why the programme should be scrapped.

9. so true

November 14, 2014 at 2:27 pm

we work like we invented nysc yet were paid same amount as those that barely knew the locations of their ppa. well, isallgood. learnt enough to pass nysc 101

10. Ifeoma

November 14, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I’m still serving but I must admit that you’re right on all points presented…

11. sax sensation

November 17, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Nice 1 detukes. .will really love too see more of these..and don’t also forget to keep practicing**SMILE * *

12. tracey george

November 22, 2014 at 1:47 am

Still on mine,however patience is everything,what may work for others,may not favour you.pray,listen and act in your own sane capacity

13. xmodamo

November 23, 2014 at 8:58 pm

EXCELLENT! Adetuke, it’s obvious you not only have your head screwed on right, your heart is in the right place. You most certainly WILL go far in life. Enjoy!

14. bp

November 24, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I had a very blissful and wonderful 2013, tho I made a very critical mistake, I. Have learned and moved on. A very “once in a lifetime experience” I would never forget.

15. mimisiku

December 16, 2014 at 9:16 am

Yup…all correct. Four years ago and all still like yesterday…
    -I had decided I was not gonna waste a year so ensured I worked in a proper company [I was fortunate to not be forced to teach]; developed skills no matter how ‘useless’ they seemed back then; sold clothes during CDS days; etc
    -In camp, because of the ‘last bus-stop to meet your lifepartner’ mentality, I DECIDED I was not giving any dude a chance! πŸ˜€ [in camp ni o]… only for two soldiers to be on my case!! lol.
    In the end, I did meet my husband where I served *covers face* but sha not camp :p
    -I chose my ‘friends’ prayerfully & developed myself spiritually. I had been told ‘life gets in the way’ after NYSC
    -Integrity counts. Standing for the right values also! I have a small stature which I used to my advantage & was labelled ‘camp commandants baby”. Saved me alot of wahala I tell you…Places I was not, people defended my course because I had proved I was worthy in little things.
    -Of cause I partied and hung out alot too πŸ˜€ – ‘HOLY Fun’
    -I was not scared about the future but when the future did arrive, getting a stable job was tough!!! Again, life :). Today I can testify.
    CHEERS….

16. tontojewelry

February 25, 2015 at 12:58 am

Beautiful write up. My NYSC experience was awesome. I did not like it initially because of the camp drills, but i gained so much afterwards. I’m grateful especially for the wonderful people i met at that time too. They made it worthwhile.