News

US Size 10 Woman Makes History as Calvin Klein’s First “Plus-Size” Model | Sparks Controversy

Myla1

Myla Dalbesio

US Size 10 model, Myla Dalbesio, has made history as Calvin Klein’s first “plus-size” model for an underwear campaign. But there is controversy surrounding the fact that she is being referred to as “plus-size.”

Dalbeiso, 27, who is 5ft 11inches tall, and hails from Wisconsin, is considered plus-size by the fashion industry’s standards. However, plus-size by normal standards, is usually classified as size 12 and up, Daily Mail reports.

“It’s kind of confusing because I’m a bigger girl.  I’m not the biggest girl on the market but I’m definitely bigger than all the girls Calvin Klein has ever worked with, so that is really intimidating,” she said.

Myla3

Speaking on the diverse-sized women featured in the brand’s “Perfectly Fit line” campaign, she also noted:

‘I’m not skinny enough to be with the skinny girls and I’m not large enough to be with the large girls , and I haven’t been able to find my place,’ she explained. As such, ‘this [campaign] was such a great feeling.”

She also revealed that she experienced a long period of eating disorders and drug abuse during her early modelling days because she was constantly criticized about her size, and was constantly pressured to lose weight. She eventually became comfortable in her own skin and discovered “plus modelling,” and so she embraced the niche modelling career path.

Many are criticizing the media’s labeling of Dalbeiso’s physique as “plus-sized.”

Myla2

***

BellaNaijarians, what do you think? What is your definition of “plus-size”?

Photo Credit: Daily Mail/Lachlan Bailey/Calvin Klein/Instagram/Dimitri Hyacinthe

1. Emem

November 11, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Plus size is UK 16 upwards…. The size 16 sef would also depend on other factors like height and proportionality of curves in order to declare such a babe plus-sized. Ideally I would say plus-size begins from UK size 18 upwards….

2. Uju

November 11, 2014 at 2:58 pm

A 5″11 size 10 (US) wearing lady is by no means a “plus size” model! Not at all.

• ATL's finest

November 11, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Thank U….Exactly my thought!!!! How can they call that size plus size??? Foolish people.

• ch

November 11, 2014 at 3:21 pm

I totally agree.

• IMO

November 12, 2014 at 7:06 pm

I think she is, we have to remember that a plus sized woman and a plus sized model are completely different things. Models are a different breed and since plus sized generally means bigger than average, at a us 10 she’s definitely bigger than the average model. I’m pretty sure no one has called her a plus sized woman.

3. uju

November 11, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Mbok this heh is not plus anything joorr…she’s a pretty model nontheless

4. Daisy

November 11, 2014 at 3:16 pm

This is plus-size to them? No wonder Whites are very suicidal.

• MC

November 11, 2014 at 4:17 pm

oh because you’ll never find a black suicidal person?

• rt

November 28, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Yes, there are plenty. However, generally not related to body dysmorphia.

5. nana aisha

November 11, 2014 at 3:33 pm

She looks ok abeg! Whether plus size or not

6. Amazon

November 11, 2014 at 4:40 pm

What is the equivalent in UK sizing?

• MC

November 11, 2014 at 5:16 pm

• tea

November 11, 2014 at 5:59 pm

a small uk 12

7. Jy

November 11, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Plus size ke!! I’m 5’10” and a size 10.people still call me skinny

8. Eby

November 11, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Americanzzzz…. A size 10 is now a plus-size? I don’t blame them oo…

9. Mz Socially Awkward...

November 11, 2014 at 5:49 pm

American sizes are weird and I still can’t figure out how they’re calculated (no offence to my US-based brethren).

I’m a UK 8-10 (depending on what side of the scale I fall on on any given day) and consequently buy US size 4-6 clothes. So by my calculations, a UK size 12 would be a US 8 and therefore a UK size 14 would be a US 10.

But chick doesn’t look like a UK 14…. more like a UK 10. So I’m understandably confused by how they’ve defined her size in the first place.

• Ona

November 11, 2014 at 7:15 pm

U have to take into consideration the fact that she’s tall. Im 5’10 and a US 8 and people say im too skinny. Height has a lot to do with the distribution of ur weight.

• Ivy

November 12, 2014 at 11:40 am

Oh. We have the same issues….lol. I can never figure out my size, love online shopping but i always have to call to clarify. Can’t count the number of times i have returned or exchanged clothes.

10. goldfinch

November 11, 2014 at 6:02 pm

if she is a plus-size model then all nigerian models are plus-sized.

11. cherry

November 11, 2014 at 7:22 pm

if dis is plus size den am plus plus size

12. sammy

November 11, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Seriously??? They’ve got to be kidding me, where’s the plus cos I don’t see it, oyinbo and their wahala…mcheww

• Halia

November 11, 2014 at 11:18 pm

@sammy- Lol!!!! Na wahala oh! It’s not even funny sometimes.

13. NaijaPikin

November 11, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Allow this yankee pple oh….0 na model size. If you enter size 2 dem go use side eye look you. lol

14. Koffie

November 13, 2014 at 1:07 am

I see where IMO at 7:06pm is coming from. She wasn’t called a plus-sized woman just a plus-sized model….bigger than an average model.
    Lol, I am a UK size 6 and I’m always eating cos I want to be a size 8. I guess my difficulty with putting on weight is caused by my body heat and energy level…hyper. Shopping is always a headache, thank God for Asos. Their size8 for Asos labelled clothes are a perfect fit. I envy people who cheat their diet for a few days and put on weight. I’ve been cheating since 1900 and nothing.