News

Erratic Power Supply is Affecting Commercial Sex Workers’ Business in Ghana

commercial sex workers

Some commercial sex workers in Accra, Ghana are unhappy because inconsistent power supply is spoiling their business.

According to Omg Ghana, 32 sex workers revealed their displeasure about the situation.

Many of the women interviewed reportedly conduct their trade at Toppers, a popular brothel at St. John’s near Dome in Accra.

This is what some of them told reporters:

“I find myself in an emotional frenzy when the dumsor comes…night is a hateful agent with its accompanying social vices like armed robbery and serial killing of women. These things scare me. And I know the men are also scared. So, it throws our business out of balance, and makes everything basaa,” said Gloria.

Another commercial sex worker named Joyce, who is 19 years old said “From where we stand, the dumsor means you can’t see anything on the street; the customers cannot see what we look like. Why would they bother to come?”

Others complained that their high-profile clients like ministers, businessmen, and members of parliament do not like conducting their business when there is no power, as it gets hot, and the environment stops becoming conducive for them.

“For instance, if he wants to go for marathon, like all-night sex orgy, how do you do it in the heat? You can just imagine how the two of you will be sweating profusely without a fan,” said Afia.

Photo Credit: Omg Ghana

1. see me see trouble

December 14, 2014 at 12:41 am

No comments. SMH!

2. bruno

December 14, 2014 at 12:58 am

who cares about the opinion of sex workers. long hisss

• Ima

December 14, 2014 at 9:11 am

Sex workers are humans, with feelings, dreams and hopes, just like the rest of us. I care about their opinions. I’m sure their clients do too, if they are willing to admit it.

• bruno

December 15, 2014 at 12:01 am

@ima. u can click the love this button a million times, na u sabi. ashawo no be work.

• Ima

December 15, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Dear Bruno, I do have a life!
      Spending time clicking the “like” button a million times is a waste of precious time I could have spent having good conversations, with good friends, over good food and wine. Have a hate-free day.

• Dr. T

December 15, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Why?? That’s what affects her life. Ain’t she human. No matter how much you detest what she does, show some freaking empathy.
      The all night sex orgy line had me rolling. She needs to look up what an orgy actually means 🙂

3. EllesarisEllendil

December 14, 2014 at 1:31 am

Glad to hear the myth of constant supply in Ghana is just that a myth. I feel so much better about my giant of Africa and our $35m investment in power.

• Author Unknown

December 14, 2014 at 4:01 am

Stupid comment. Pulling someone else down will never uplift you dummy. Besides, it’s not a myth. Ghana did have constant power supply for many years. Meanwhile, BN, you want to vex Ghana people with this, after the Boris Kodjoe attack by a commenter? LOL.

• EllesarisEllendil

December 14, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Sorry sarcasm doesn’t translate. Maybe I should have added soooooooooo instead of one o for you.

• Author Unknown

December 15, 2014 at 4:29 am

I don’t quite understand what you wrote, but I apologize for calling you stupid and a dummy. Merry Christmas to you.

4. Yayi Boni

December 14, 2014 at 4:58 am

So nasso una de dowammm… Orgy dis nasty ting from di white man… na so una want do na Ghana?? heyyy Wonders shall never end??? water fo de wash una mouth and stinky pot..
    I blame the foolish an irresponsible men who come to you.. Rubbish!!!

5. Sweery

December 14, 2014 at 8:39 am

I thought Ghana has 24hr power supply…..ooopppsss

6. Miss Mo

December 14, 2014 at 9:01 am

*bbm lips sealed*

7. ATL's finest

December 14, 2014 at 10:37 am

Just passing by! I rest my cast but @ Joyce the 19yrs old girl please darlyn, things may be hard and I’m not judging U neither am I supporting your Job. But @ that age, u can do a lot with thy self boo. Honestly, I hope these folks know that there are a lot of deadly diseases out there apart from HIV,STI & AIDS.. Make Una take am easy ooo

8. @edDREAMZ

December 14, 2014 at 10:52 am

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Well i pray they help them bcos they are also human being helping the society in their own way…. Lolx…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

9. Valentina

December 14, 2014 at 11:56 am

“Like Marathon, all- night sex orgy” OMG wen am I going to have marathon sex again? Its been soo long. I feel like I’m missing out, I’m wasting my youth, oh lawd I need a man.

• Ikido

December 14, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Have no fear…Ikido is here.
      You dont have to wonder any longer, just drop your details and i shall make it happen 😉

• Dr. T

December 15, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Everyone’s got jokes. It kills me that a few ppl have taken this article a little seriously. Thanks for the humor 🙂

10. Belle

December 14, 2014 at 12:32 pm

What happened to Candles and bush lamps, these ladies need to be creative, I question their entrepreneur skills. By the way candles and bush lamps are more romantic and set the scene for their services.

11. AK

December 14, 2014 at 3:01 pm

I hope this story has no relation to the Boris Cudjoe nationality issue. Besides, every country with electricity generation challenges will have these sorts of issues. So what’s the point of putting this story here? I hope BN does not descend to petiness.

12. TheRealist

December 14, 2014 at 3:03 pm

If those ladies in that picture are the “sex workers” then I’m afraid that electiricity is the least of their problems….haba!

• Honey

December 14, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Lmaaaooo stop it…

13. Tosin

December 14, 2014 at 10:08 pm

I guess Nigeria can ‘export’ tips for dealing with power outages.
    Sad, cos Ghana found oil and got pain and suffering in return.

14. Nma

December 14, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Abeg they should go and sleep. Na student like us need light to study our books in kumasi .

15. grace

December 15, 2014 at 9:52 am

Even Ebola too still dey around

16. baboushka

December 15, 2014 at 11:39 am

I have been to Accra (two years ago)and yes the have constant power supply so this problem must be a recent one. A whole week with no power outage the whole time I was there.

17. jake ro

December 15, 2014 at 9:41 pm

No matter how detastable ones style of life is to another, we all have our rights.No one have to live his or her life according to another persons standard.so they are in their right to complain like any of us.