Scoop

Anthony Mackie: Dreadlocks May Make You Look Like a Criminal

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????African-American actor Anthony Mackie has people talking with his comments about dreadlocks in an interview with The Grio.

“Like my nephew wanted to grow dreadlocks. I’m like fine, I’ll sit you down and I’ll watch The First 48 with you and everybody you see on that show, that’s doing something wrong, they’re black dudes with dreadlocks. So, do you want to be seen as part of the problem or do you want to be an individual?”

“Let’s just say you have locks and you walking down the street. The police pull you over and say you fit the description of somebody. You start yelling and arguing with the cops. Next thing you know you pressed up against the wall going to jail for something you’re not even involved in just because you look like somebody and you don’t know how to handle yourself.”

In his interview he also talked about how hard it is to make it as a black actor in Hollywood, and he addressed the recent perceived ‘snub’ by the Oscars, saying he doesn’t think they are being discriminatory, rather, he thinks the studios rarely give black actors Oscar-worthy roles.

“Hollywood believes that there’s no market overseas for black actors.”

“They say that about Denzel Washington, they say they have no foreign value,” Mackie said. “If we’re not financing and doing our own stories, we can’t expect to see ourselves come award season.”

You can watch the interview on The Grio.

**Photo used for illustrative purposes only.

Photo Source: Photographerlondon // Dreamstime.com

1. Scared homosapien

January 22, 2015 at 9:32 am

I can be so stereotypical when it comes to men in locks. They don’t look serious to me and I wonder how others see them too. I pray I get past my myopic view of them and see that they are awesome people too.

2. UberChick

January 22, 2015 at 10:51 am

Let me google this Anthony Mackie…

3. Ladi

January 22, 2015 at 11:08 am

It also makes u look dirty,not like criminal alone.

4. Ann

January 22, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Abeg, there is dreadlock and there is dreadlock, i ayam fixing a dread in few days time and bliv me it looks like our every day twist out….

• Mabel

January 23, 2015 at 8:04 am

Word! When dreadlocks are done right they look good.

Interesting that tattoos have gone mainstream, something that was done mostly by prisoners in the past, yet dreadlocks which originated in the Rastafarian religion is considered criminal.

5. oj

January 22, 2015 at 2:56 pm

for me, a guy who does dreadlocks or braids his hair or leaves his hair to be as long as a lady’s is not appealing to me. I may consider his looks handsome but that’s just it. (my personal opinion o)

6. Kongo man

January 22, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Rasta got soul.

7. Beautygeekng.com

January 22, 2015 at 7:34 pm

It doesn’t really matter to me. But it should be kept neat at all times

8. Dd_poet

January 22, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Abeg abeg, I’m on dreads and I won’t trade it for anything. The way you present yourself matters a lot, whether dreads or not, if you behave like a rascal, then you will be treated as one + I love guys on dreads.

9. Dd_poet

January 22, 2015 at 9:34 pm

I’m on dreads and I’m loving it. The way you present yourself matters a lot, if you behave like a rascal, people will address you as such, it’s not about the dreads, its about the person wearing it + I love guys on dreads.