News

Photo of Woman Carrying Baby in Handbag Sparks Outrage

BellaNaija.com

Baby in handbagWe’ve seen and heard of people carrying their cute little dogs in handbags. But carrying a baby in a handbag? Wow.

Apparently, a 26-year-old Chinese mother, Xue Hsueh, thought it would be a great idea to carry her nine-month-old son in her designer bag, and take a picture. She subsequently posted it online, Metro UK reports.

Shortly after posting the picture, Hsueh, received widespread criticism from most people online who saw the image.

However, she has defended her actions, claiming that the baby was only in the handbag for a short period of time. She also said she did as a joke as she was talking to her friends about what would happen if the responsibility of childcare was left in men’s hands.

Hsueh also stated that her son was enjoying himself and having fun, and that she only posted the picture to make people smile.

Photo Credit: metro.co.uk

1. Fifameh

January 2, 2015 at 10:12 am

What are we not going to see in this world.

2. tgirl

January 2, 2015 at 10:15 am

Make people smile nikan nko …you did this to gain attention!!! Things people do for social network tho..

3. Gbei

January 2, 2015 at 11:15 am

Obviously their is a baby stroller behind her which the the baby came out from ? I wonder why we like to act all self-righteous .. I have seen people put their kids in boxes even Ghana must go just for fun, some even in wardrobes in this country .. So why all the negative vibes now .. People should please pack well

• ada nnewi

January 2, 2015 at 11:22 am

I just can’t understand people and their self righteous attitude. It was just for laughs..My nephew is comfy in my giant bags…

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 3, 2015 at 11:54 am

Yes indeed. I’ve seen parents jokingly lie or stand their little babies in a massive lady’s bag to take photos for a laugh. And we laugh and move on because that’s all it is – light humour. This is a 9 month old baby so it’s safe to assume he would have had been robust enough to be put in and taken out without harming any delicate appendages.

The Metro is a UK paper and the UK is a notorious nanny state, so go figure…

4. jk

January 2, 2015 at 11:17 am

that baby doesn’t look like he’s enjoying himself though.

5. Kemi

January 2, 2015 at 11:20 am

Tgirl you can say that again!

6. Rosemary

January 2, 2015 at 11:37 am

Joke or not! She’s really insane for doing that

7. rachealb brown

January 2, 2015 at 1:09 pm

she is chinese. anything is possible with those people

• Dee-USA

January 2, 2015 at 7:20 pm

I don’t know which is sadder: your comment, or the six people who have liked it so far. And we wonder (maybe you don’t) why racism/tribalism/discrimination still exists at elevated levels.

8. Olu

January 2, 2015 at 2:01 pm

…and she still found a way to crap on fathers. Of course…

9. mogbomoya

January 2, 2015 at 10:21 pm

My toddler would love to do this lol, he gets in my hand bag all the time and calls out for someone to push him around in it.

Well we see the stroller behind her so her gist is believable, Internet has a way of turning the silliest things to child abuse these days.

10. Moyo

January 3, 2015 at 3:17 am

I think it is wrong to put a baby in a bag, the baby can not be comfortable. I am sure an older mother will not do such. Please do not let us encourage bad behaviour under the guise of having fun

11. TJ Olowo

January 3, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Na she get her pikin biko,if she likes let her put him/ her in her purse…her biz tho

12. Eniola/ Ms Catwalq

January 3, 2015 at 11:19 pm

Abegi! I have done this before. In fact, before Tejuoso burnt down, I went there to buy a bag. I needed it to be big enough to carry a lot as I needed to use it for travel. I jokingly told the woman selling it that it must be able to hold a child. She assured me that it could. She had a little one crawling on her shop floor and I was like, “Oya nigba naa, put him inside nah, let me see.” And she did!!! And I bought the bag after even trying to lift the bag to test the straps.
    Lasted me two years.
    So me, I do not know what the issue is. It was brief and in good fun.